The Scout [ 6 ] ** [85.71%]
Total Votes: 7
Guests cannot vote 
Lady Saga
post Mar 21 2012, 01:09 AM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

Good evening. I am Lady Saga, and as you can see I'm liking for you to choose which one of these 2 characters I shall play next? I simply cannot decide.

To get a fuller idea of how I'm going to start either character, have a look at the Skyrim Roleplay Ideas thread's OP. I'm literally torn between

(1) a Scout type of character who doesnt' get involved with combat, and who's main function will be to "scout" out new areas of the brown paper map. I'm going to somehow get an oversized copy of the map made (it's okay to do this, according to someone I know who works in a copy place), and then use the copy to travel about, making notations as the scout goes. The Scout will most likely assist other characters of mine who need to get into an uncharted areas safely.

(2) A bandit. Just a low-life, low-intelligence bandit! biggrin.gif I envision this guy raiding Riverwood first off, and then moving into some sort of dwelling (or camp) by the side of one of Skyrim's busiest roads. He's going to live here for awhile, literally waiting for NPC's to walk by. The bandit will do this until he thinks of something better, whatever that may be.

For you who don't know me yet, I have but one weird little thing. Whenever I start a new character it must be raining outside. I only start new characters when it's raining for some odd, subconscious reason. But it's supposed to be raining this weekend, so that's good. smile.gif

Have a vote and an opinion, if you like.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 21 2012, 03:01 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

I am going to go for the scout. The character is more proactive, going out and exploring uncharted territory. Where the bandit just sits back and waits. It sounds like the scout would be more interesting, and challenging, to play.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 21 2012, 03:38 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

I gotta go for the scout. That sounds like a lot of fun. smile.gif I'd perk them in stealth skills so they can maybe sneak inside for a look-see.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
liliandra nadiar
post Mar 21 2012, 07:02 AM
Post #4

Finder
Group Icon

I'd say scout. Less chance either an Imperial or Stormcloak patrol or 'random' adventure takes the bandit out. You know those Jarls give out bandit hunting bounty's like lollipops. tongue.gif

--------------------
"When in danger, or in doubt.
Run in Circles, scream and shout."
The Tides of Oblivion
Shot of the week:Hunter and Prey.
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Mar 21 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

Even though I like the occasional bouts of random violence, I ditto the other three. You made an interesting idea about the scout, really, its a stroke of genius.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 21 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

I think the scout will be fun. I like the no-looting approach. Combat tends to find you when you're exploring, though. Do you mean that she won't fight, or that she will just defend herself rather than seek out fights?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Mar 21 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 20 2012, 09:01 PM) *

I am going to go for the scout.

QUOTE(King Coin @ Mar 20 2012, 09:38 PM) *

I gotta go for the scout.

QUOTE(liliandra nadiar @ Mar 21 2012, 01:02 AM) *

I'd say scout.

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Mar 21 2012, 04:54 AM) *

You made an interesting idea about the scout,

QUOTE(Grits @ Mar 21 2012, 05:35 AM) *

I think the scout will be fun.

Okay, that does it then, I"m playing the bandit. Ha ha, just kidding.

Thanks for you input, folks, I'm gonna do the Scout, then. Some of my ancestors were Cherokee, and I'm gonna try to locate an old picture of a man in one of my mom's old picturebooks. I"m looking forward to his existence. smile.gif

He'll probably be involved with the Imperials eventually, since that makes sense that he's helping outsiders find their way around, but I'm not sure if he'll actually do the official Imperial questline. He may wind up starting it, perhaps. We'll see.

He'll travel mostly by horseback (it's just better to avoid faster enemies this way) and will actually live for extended periods in remote areas. He'll be adept at cooking, hunting wild game, bow & arrow, 1-handed (he'll carry a daggar or an woodcutter's axe for a weapon), and may also wind up taking on a few Illusion and Alteration spells. Calm and Fear will fit in perfectly. smile.gif Maybe Oakflesh, too. Anything I can link up to traditional American Indian folklore I'm gonna borrow in the game, so far as magic goes.

But like I said, he's mostly gonna be a pacifist. He won't do any dungeon-diving, nor will he get involved with offensive combat. He'll reserve his combat roles for purely defensive purposes.

....It better rain this weekend. kvright.gif
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 21 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

Conjure Familiar? It's fun to have a spirit wolf around.

Fingers crossed for rain! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 21 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

Conjure Familiar would be perfect I think. The only trouble is that it is so woefully underpowered that after level 2 it tends to die after one hit. sad.gif It is too bad you are on PS3, there are mods to fix that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 21 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

An idea: Don't level up! You won't get any perks then though.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 21 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

Yep, the fun is having it running along and occasionally howling. Not so useful for us console players.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Mar 21 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 21 2012, 01:47 PM) *

Conjure Familiar would be perfect I think. The only trouble is that it is so woefully underpowered that after level 2 it tends to die after one hit. sad.gif It is too bad you are on PS3, there are mods to fix that.

Yes, he's going to have Conjure Familiar, forgot about that spell. This won't be a problem in his game, though, as leveling occurs. Since he's going to be a pacifist, he'll simply conjure the animal spirit and then use this as a chance to get away from any enemy who attacks him. He'll probably do ceremonies for each time he conjures the wolf, too, since this isn't an illusion, it is an actual spirit that is being summoned to aid him (in his mind).

I actually have an old Tarot deck of cards that's based on American Indian symbology. Wow, I forgot all about it until now. This particular deck is PACKED with little facts and stories, too. One of the few things I do know is when an indian killed an animal, he wouldn't just kill it. There was usually a sort prayer said for the animal's spirit. All of this is going to be incorporated into his game. smile.gif

He'll also (more than likely) eventually wind up getting an actual dog, too, though the dog won't follow him everywhere. It'll just stay wherever his main home winds up being.

QUOTE(King Coin @ Mar 21 2012, 02:19 PM) *

An idea: Don't level up! You won't get any perks then though.

I've actually considered this for other future characters, but it won't work for the Scout because he's going to need to have environments that level upwards, so he can more-accurately tell others what could appear in certain areas of Skyrim.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Mar 21 2012, 08:23 PM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 21 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Mar 21 2012, 03:17 PM) *

One of the few things I do know is when an indian killed an animal, he wouldn't just kill it. There was usually a sort prayer said for the animal's spirit. All of this is going to be incorporated into his game. smile.gif

Yes indeed. This is common among other hunter/gatherer societies as well as Native Americans. A major part of hunting mythology is that animals are spirits - gods - that have descended from the heavens to take a mortal form. Killing the animal releases the spirit to return to the spirit world. It is not simply killing, but rather and act of divine sacrifice. It is a holy act, a covenant that bonds the human and animal communities. Joseph Campbell goes into great detail about this in Mythologies of the Great Hunt.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Mar 21 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

Thank you SubRosa. I read some Joseph Campbell in college, I don't remember much but I do know he's about finding oneself spiritually, and he also goes off into nature with groups of others on spiritual quests.

I'm really psyched, everyone. It'll be easy to create a good-looking indian in Skyrim. Males in general are easier for me to create (so far as looks go) than females. I haven't really been as satisfied by the Skyrim females I've created so far. sad.gif

On the other hand, I've spent over an hour (maybe 2) fussing over female looks in Oblivion. the difference is I always wind up with something I'm satisfied with. The work pays off!

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Mar 21 2012, 10:34 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:14 PM