Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jerric's Story
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Darkness Eternal
Valley of Hope, part four: The entrance to this spooky place had me on the egde. It is great to see all these characters together! Aravi did some good killing here. Love that shot with her bow.

I enjoyed this particular detail here:

If they were vampires their flesh would rapidly decompose once the energy that had animated them faded. Old vampires would fall into dust, but fledglings would only wither.

Goes to show that these guys are walking fossils! Jerric will make short work of them!

The team-up here is awesome. The imagery of Jerric running into the room with an atronach behind him had me laughing, but also painted a pretty cool picture.

"You need someone to hold your hair back like a woman.”

laugh.gif

It was nice and wise to see that they stopped to consider that the vampires could have hoarded the material possessions of their prey. Out of sentiment and the need to deliver proof, bringing these things back to the villagers would be a nice touch. You added humor, action and a bit of drama all in one! Hooray!

Part five:

Talk about lack of communication skills here. Poor Aravi! More spiders for her! I am a sucker for well-written battles and you delivered. Kudos.

Arkay's Law made a mention! Sticking to lore like Subrosa said. I like this a lot. You are a good writer and I regret not checking this story out before. I can learn from you, Grits! Truly, I can.

Once again this chapter has humor on it that actually had me laughing. This part had me digusted.
Khajiit stood in the scattered spider parts, a sword clenched in each quivering hand. Black ichor dripped down her face and chest. Her eyes were wild, ears flattened back, tail rigid and bushed out.

Grits
Previously: Jerric, Darnand, Lildereth, and Aravi finished their business in the vampire lair. Aravi agreed to camp with them, and they went to find a site she knew near warm springs. On the way they encountered a spider daedra. Aravi and her screenshots appear with the cooperation and generosity of her creator King Coin. Thank you so much, KC!!

Elisabeth Hollow: Thanks! smile.gif

Acadian: That was a fun scene to write, especially on the heels of the vampire fight. Lil appreciates the sympathy. Her skills prevent big messy fights, so her successes could be written as, “…and no one suspected a thing.” tongue.gif Thank you, Acadian!

ghastley: Yep, Darnand is a loose cannon these days. More power than practical experience (Apprentice birthsign) and more confidence than judgment. He didn’t know that Aravi was shooting much less where she was behind him when he summoned. Jerric will report on his hair status shortly. And yes, Aravi is not a fan of spiders! biggrin.gif Thanks, ghastley!

Lopov: Welcome to the story, Lopov! Thanks, and I’m glad you’re reading. smile.gif

mALX: I’m glad you enjoyed the spiders and tail-pulling. We had a blast writing them. Aravi and Darnand had a rough time on this adventure! This whole part reminds me of the fun we had sending our characters to clear dungeons in Aravi’s Oblivion thread. All they needed was for Maxical to pop up with that bow and arrows that she found!! Thank you, mALX!

SubRosa: Darnand is still coming to grips with killing people, so I’m glad you pointed out those lines. Even in his own POV I wasn’t sure if that was coming across. Teresa’s story has inspired me to think harder about how magic works in Jerric’s world, especially the possibilities with summoned astronauts. tongue.gif Thank you, SubRosa!

Colonel Mustard: You caught up!! Wow, and yay! Your kind words have me grinning and blushing. This has been quite a learning experience. Thank you so much, and I’m glad you’re reading!

King Coin: I was just looking over our notes for this section and giggling like a fiend about it. Writing this together has been tremendous fun! And thankfully it seems our characters did not all storm off in a huff over the trials we gave them. You really picked up on how Darnand’s summoned dremora fueled his recklessness when he was already enjoying his own fire a little too much. Thank you, KC!

McBadgere: Finally the Ishckrihk episode!! I’m so glad you liked it. After I didn’t show him being awesome against the vampires I wanted to yell, His Big Part Is Next!! (Er… that didn’t sound quite right. embarrased.gif ) But I waited. biggrin.gif Thank you so much, McB!!

Darkness Eternal: Thank you for your vampire advice! I like the way different areas of Tamriel have their own kinds of vampires, and I wanted mine to make sense. Also as a PS3 player my characters can’t cure vampirism, so not knowing a cure was a little dig at Those Who Failed To Fix The Game. tongue.gif I’m glad you enjoyed the fights. There aren’t many so I tend to stress over them. Thanks, DE!

Next: Let’s go camping, for real this time. This is the fifth of five segments featuring King Coin’s Aravi.

Grits

Chapter 16: Valley of Hopes, Part Six

Jerric stood at the pool’s edge, knee-deep in soft ferns. The water was just warm enough to bring early spring to this sheltered grotto. Cold air flowed down from the mountain, sending mist off the surface in slow tendrils. Frogs trilled in the reeds. The stars bathed him in cool light.

“I wish I had a tail,” said Jerric.

Darnand snorted. “If you had a sixth appendage we would never get anything done. You took so long in the bushes I thought you had fallen into some crevasse.”

“It was that Hope Valley sheep’s cheese,” Jerric laughed. “It made me costive.”

“It was a Khajiit and a Bosmer vying for your imagination.” Darnand knelt in the pool’s shadowed end, but Jerric could guess his expression.

“It’s a shame but that’s all I have to work with,” Jerric replied, bouncing on his toes. “All that sweet tail back at the campsite, and you’ve had your hands on both of them.” He leaped up onto a boulder and back down, trying to land silently. “That reminds me of a joke.”

“No tail jokes tonight, if you please,” said Darnand. “It might be racially uncomfortable. And for the love of Stendarr put on some trousers if you must prance about. Some of us can see in the dark.”

“Are you still shaving? What happened, can’t find your other chin whisker?” Jerric hopped back up on the rock. “Anyway Lildereth has pointy ears and you’re slim as a maiden but we don’t avoid the subject. I guess it’s the same with a tail.” A breeze whispered through the tall firs and curled around him like Kyne’s softest kiss. “Gods, it’s good to be alive tonight!”

Darnand splashed out of the pool, shivering. He lunged for his pack. “Wh-when were you in danger?” He quickly dried himself with the cleaner side of his mages robe. Towels had been among the casualties when they re-packed Jerric’s armor.

“Well the vampires went down pretty quick, but then some Breton tried to burn my face off. Again.”

“Apologies. We should add to my practice drills. Casting under duress.” Darnand’s head disappeared as he scrubbed his hair with the robe.

Jerric considered giving him some immediate duress. One leap would carry him halfway across the pool, but he would have to flounder the rest of the way to the Breton. Darnand would have too much time to react.

“Speaking of which, how is your..?” Darnand made a vague gesture, head still under the robe.

“My what? Face? Don’t worry, the spiders took the worst of it. Besides I can grow another beard, and what’s the real point of eyebrows?” He scratched across his belly, still sparsely furred thanks to Darnand’s fire scroll two weeks ago. “You know if I had absorbed your spell, I would also have protected the spiders.”

“I know, though at the time it did not occur to me. My knowledge is largely academic. It is imperative that we expand its practical applications.”

Jerric pondered that statement while Darnand combed his hair. “Yeah,” he finally said.

Darnand tugged his robes into order, then hefted the pack onto one shoulder. “May I guess as to the nature of your first conversational offering at dinner? You are going to ask if I enjoyed my piece of tail.”

“Uh,” said Jerric.

“I fear that Aravi will misinterpret your jest as an inappropriate advance.”

“Ha! I never make unwelcome advances.” Unless they might annoy you, he thought with a grin.

“If she slaps you it will hurt more than usual,” Darnand warned.

Jerric jumped down into the ferns. “How’s your head? Any claw marks?”

Darnand gave him a look. “I shall see you back at the campsite.”

It didn’t take the breeze long to dry him. Jerric pulled on his clean tunic and leggings.

The frogs fell silent as a night heron landed at the edge of the reeds. It squawked at him irritably.

“All right, don’t get your feathers in a bunch,” he told it. “You sound like a Breton. I can’t find my damnable camp shoes.”

Jerric made his way through the fir trees to their campsite tucked between a ledge and a steep rockfall. They had a view over the valley, but the valley also had a view of them. Thus the need for a night watch.

The smell of stew cooking made his stomach gurgle. He heard Aravi’s and Lildereth’s voices alternating in conversation. Jerric tossed his soiled clothes at his pack and joined them beside the fire. Darnand passed him a cup of cold water. His face told Jerric to sit down and keep quiet.

“When you first spoke to me, that was Ta’agra?” Aravi asked Lildereth. She drew her claws through the end of her tail like a comb, picking off burrs.

“Yes.” Lildereth looked into her cup.

Jerric stilled himself.

Aravi’s voice sounded mildly curious. “How is it that you speak the Khajiit language?”

Lildereth’s brows came together. “How is it that you do not?” she snapped.

“I am not from Elsweyr.” Aravi gave Lildereth a level look.

“I’m sorry.” Lildereth spoke in a rush. “I’m being rude, and there’s no call for it.” She bit the corner of her lip. Her eyes found Jerric’s. “Is the stew ready?” she asked a little wildly.

“Not yet. We have some time.”

The fire crackled. Crickets chirped in the ferns. An owl called from the firs overhead and was answered by another down in the valley.

Then Lildereth spoke. “I’m from Valenwood. My village was on the banks of the Xylo River, at the border with Elsweyr. We lived in the trees right over the water. It never grew cold there. Fruit and fish practically fell onto our plates. Athay wasn’t far, and we could get there without ever touching the ground. They had a harbor.”

She took a trembling breath and continued. “You’ve heard of the border wars between the Khajiit and my people.”

Darnand nodded. “The Five Year War.”

“That’s what some call it. I don’t suppose any of you were born yet.”

Jerric searched his memory. His childhood stories had largely featured questing knights and wicked sorcerers, and he had parted ways with formal education before the history lessons left the First Era.

Aravi looked puzzled.

“Assume I didn’t get far in school,” Jerric told Lildereth.

“It was right before the turn of the century,” Lildereth said. “For a time the war didn’t touch us. We heard of battles and a truce, but day to day our lives were the same. Of course there was some tension when we saw our Khajiiti neighbors, but we had always lived so close together. It seemed that the war was for outsiders and we river folk would weather it as we had every other storm.” She looked over at Aravi. “So you see, I’ve always spoken Ta’agra. For a time I heard it every day.”

Darnand spoke. His tone was more gentle than Jerric could have imagined was possible. “What happened during the war?”

“They sacked Athay,” said Lildereth. Her eyes grew wide and blank.

Jerric felt as if a fist had closed over his chest. She lost everyone, he remembered.

“It was our Khajiiti friends,” she continued. “I don’t know what they thought we had done. They came at the front of their army like a great wind through the trees. I had just been found worthy of a gin-jiru bow. My first kill was an Ohmes-raht. I knew her. Her name was Nahdari.”

Jerric glanced at Aravi. The Khajiit sat perfectly still, arms wrapped around her raised knees.

“We fled while the forest burned. I couldn’t think because the trees were screaming, and all I could see was the hate in Nahdari’s eyes. Later folk said the Khajiit had dagi with them. Spell casters. I didn’t know about any of that. I wasn’t yet considered an adult, and I still lived with my parents. I was thirty, the age of… well it translates to ‘the age of stupid decisions,’ so I’m not surprised that Cyrodilic doesn’t have a word for it. My life had been one long summer.”

Lildereth took a sip from her cup.

“Go on,” Darnand murmured.

“We ran to Vindisi, a little town sheltered down in a valley. Khajiiti followed us the whole way like furibari in the trees. Like bad spirits. It was dark, and we could see the smoke in the sky lit up red and orange from the fires below. Our tribe only had three children, and none of them made it that far.”

Lildereth put down her cup. “My people have a way of living, nunkadai. It means ‘I am because we are.’ A person is only as separate from others as a branch is from the tree’s trunk. There is no self without the whole. I cannot speak about what happened next. All I can say is that when the ritual began, I fled. I ran away from my people, my responsibility, every purpose there could have been for my being.”

Jerric looked over at Darnand.

“The last Wild Hunt,” Darnand said. “It is said that every monster in the world is a remnant of a Wild Hunt. But the account I read claimed that they… that your folk… were all destroyed.”

Lildereth shook her head. “Many escaped the valley. I saw from where I hid up high in the rocks. The army was upon them when the horde burst free of the temple. The things that my tribe had become devoured the Khajiit and then turned on each other. It’s said that they were trapped by an avalanche, but that’s not true. I saw the shapes in the moonlight, moving away through the trees. I heard the cries. And I remember.”

For a time nothing spoke but the crackling fire.

“Mara’s moon blood,” said Jerric. He let out an explosive breath.

Lildereth gave a shaky laugh. “Aravi, I promise I will not become a wild beast tonight. I’m sure that’s more than you ever wanted to know about wood elves.”

Aravi sat in wide-eyed silence. Jerric wondered if she might simply stand up and walk away after Lildereth’s revelations.

“That is whom you are hunting,” Darnand said to Lildereth.

Lildereth picked up her drink. “Yes.”

“Where did you go when you ran?” asked Jerric. “You were still a kid by your reckoning, right? Who were the Imperial couple you told us about in Arenthia?”

Lildereth stood up. “The stew is ready.”

Jerric took the hint and climbed to his feet. “Breton, will you scoop it out for us? I’ll get the wine.” He walked a short distance with his back to the fire. After a moment his eyes adjusted, and the hilltops took shape dropping away in the distance. No other campfires were visible. And no angry orange glow from a Gate.

Lildereth appeared beside him.

“I guess that puts me at the age of stupid decisions,” he told her.

“A Nord’s thirty is a Bosmeri sixty,” she said. Jerric could hear the smile in her voice. “You can’t blame your age any more.”

“Today, in the ruin. When I saw you standing there with your little arrow and Darnand on the ground.”

Lildereth found his hand. “I’ll let you have that arrow and you can see just how little it is. Where would you like me to put it?”

“I’m not a vampire. You know what I mean.” A small squeeze told him that she did. “Anyway, you didn’t run.”

When Lildereth spoke she sounded somehow defeated. “I was going to use you.”

She wasn’t talking about the vampires any more.

“Now I know why you need us,” said Jerric. “I wondered. We both wondered.” He pushed down all the promises he couldn’t keep. “I hope you’ll stay with us. I’m running out of time, but I hope I get a chance to be what you want.”

Lildereth turned her face up toward him, pale in the starlight.

“You trusted us with this,” Jerric told her. “I can’t think of a greater honor.”

She slowly shook her head. “I would have let you—”

“But you didn’t. You told us. That’s more than I’ve been able to do. I guess you have an idea my sword is spoken for.”

“The Blades.”

“I can’t tell you more.”

Darnand’s voice carried to them from the campfire, but Jerric couldn’t make out the words. He wondered if Aravi’s quiet presence had triggered Lildereth’s confession. No doubt it had been building for some time. Perhaps the Breton could find the words to thank Aravi.

Lildereth hugged his arm. “I miss them so much,” she whispered, wiping her nose on his sleeve.

“Yeah,” he muttered. “I wish we could go home.”

Back at the campfire they admitted that they hadn’t brought any wine. Jerric sat cross-legged and tucked into his stew.

“These clouded funnel caps make the meal,” he said to Lildereth. “Thanks for murdering them for us.”

The Bosmer rolled her eyes at him.

“You might have chopped them a little finer,” Darnand told him.

“Teeth are for chewing,” said Jerric. He watched Aravi blow on a spoonful before she ate it.

“I did not notice cattle in Hope Valley,” Darnand mused. “Where do you suppose they got this beef?”

“It’s probably cave beef,” said Jerric. “It sure isn’t mutton.”

Aravi paused, spoon raised.

“Cave beef?” asked Darnand.

“Yeah, same as sand beef. Rat. Not corpse-fed tomb rat, just good old cave-dwelling, cairn bolete stuffed— Are you all right?”

Aravi put down her stew, coughing. She took a gulp from her cup.

“He is jesting,” Darnand said, wrinkling his brows. His spoon became a delicate probe as he investigated his bowl.

“Is that like mountain oysters?” laughed Lildereth.

“Yeah,” said Jerric. “Only the opposite.”

Aravi pressed white knuckles against her mouth. Her shoulders heaved.

“Gods,” said Jerric. “I was only jesting! It’s beef from the valley, I swear it. They buy calves every spring and graze them in the meadows, but they don’t overwinter like the sheep. Igren told me all about it. They dry the meat to preserve it, that’s why the stew took so long to cook. Aravi, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to make you sick.”

Darnand spooned another bite into his mouth. “You are a brave man if you sleep tonight, Nord.”

“Anyway rat meat is more stringy,” Lildereth said to Aravi. She raised her eyebrows in an encouraging manner.

Aravi just stared at Jerric, shaking her head.

Jerric waited as long as he could. Lady Luck favors the bold, he decided.

“Uh, Aravi, if you’ve really lost your appetite…” He nodded at her abandoned bowl. “That is to say, are you going to finish that?”

Elisabeth Hollow
That was some intense stuff from Lildreth's past. But she told them! That's a step in the right direction!
mALX

Anyway rat meat is more stringy,” Lildereth said to Aravi. She raised her eyebrows in an encouraging manner.

Very visual line - and funny picturing it! Absolutely LOVED this chapter! Some one on one time between Jerric and Darnand was so missed! Lildereth’s finally confessing her secrets, how Jerric must feel the similarity of what they’ve been through and where they are headed - except the enemies aren‘t the same ones, and Jerric‘s sword is spoken for. (hopefully he meant only the sword that hangs at his side). I knew the second Aravi abandoned her bowl Jerric would pounce on it like a hungry leopard, ROFL! Spectacular chapter, and Awesome Write!

Acadian
A wonderful two part episode.

First, we have the boyz and their bath. Here, you so totally capture both of them with their own words:
“I know, though at the time it did not occur to me. My knowledge is largely academic. It is imperative that we expand its practical applications.”
Jerric pondered that statement while Darnand combed his hair. “Yeah,” he finally said.’

Don’t feel bad, Jerric. Buffy wishes she had a tail too sometimes. Something about always wishing for what you don’t have. tongue.gif

Ah, then back to camp for part deux -

‘The fire crackled. Crickets chirped in the ferns. An owl called from the firs overhead and was answered by another down in the valley.’
Another magnificent bit of Grits painting the scene – only this time with sound. Oh, and a beautiful screenshot, thanks to KC!

Very cool to hear Lildereth open up about her past. Loved hearing about her Valenwood. Aravi’s having a good influence on her. happy.gif

Poor kitty’s patiently endured having her tail pulled, spiders dropped on her and now rat / not rat stew. laugh.gif
SubRosa
A breeze whispered through the tall firs and curled around him like Kyne’s softest kiss.
This was a particularly wonderful metaphor.

what’s the real point of eyebrows?
To keep sweat from dripping down into your eyes? This reminds me of an interview I once saw with Peter MacNicol, who starred in Dragonslayer. His face was singed in one scene, and his eyebrows completely burned off. He mentioned the part about the sweat falling into his eyes after that. You learn the strangest things from movies...

“Ha! I never make unwelcome advances.”
Now that is spoken like a true male!

Another wonderful Aravi picture for the campsite.

I loved your description of Lil's old home on the banks of the Xylo, especially the part about being able to walk to the city without stepping on the ground. It is hard to imagine it now, but the entire eastern U.S. seaboard was like that at one time.

“Assume I didn’t get far in school,” Jerric told Lildereth.
This reminds me of The Chronicles of Riddick. "Pretend you're talking to someone educated in the Penal System. In fact, don't pretend." biggrin.gif

Lil's description of the sack of her home was a sobering examples of the horrors of war. Not just any war, but a civil war, where the people killing and being killed are friends. I loved the fact that you included so many Bosmer words in your description. It makes their culture come alive as being real and distinct. Especially small touches like "the age of stupid decisions" - sounds like 15 -20 for a human.

The Wild Hunt! Eeeps. I do not blame Lil for fleeing rather than take part in that. It may have been a betrayal of her people, but the Hunt itself is a betrayal of their own elfmanity as well. Now we finally see what is driving at Lil. It does a lot to explain her nature. Still, as dark a horror as it is to hunt down the monsters that your kin have become, at least she is not a Mythic Dawn agent!

“It’s probably cave beef,”
Oh noes! I know what that is!
Elisabeth Hollow
What's cave beef? I know what mountain oysters are... But...lol
mALX
QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Apr 8 2013, 06:24 PM) *

Cave beef is when Jerric is inside the cave, lol.
Elisabeth Hollow
QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 8 2013, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Apr 8 2013, 06:24 PM) *

Cave beef is when Jerric is inside the cave, lol.

I don't get iiiiiiiit XD
ghastley
“That is whom you are hunting,” Darnand said to Lildereth.

The correctness of this sentence is just so Darnand.

And I note he's baiting Aravi as much as Jerric does. He needs to be careful, he might just get paid back in Skyrim.
McBadgere
I think that this was my fave Jerric episode ever... smile.gif ...

On pretty much every level it was perfect...

Lildreth's story was hauntingly sad, yet the imagery beautifully rendered; the Jerric/Darnarnd banter at the start was funny as hell; the Jerric/Lildreth moment was just amazing, neither actually spelling it out loud...But still made me grin hugely in delight...

And then the joking at the end about the stew... laugh.gif ...

Your writing is just...*Sigh*... wub.gif ...

So much I could quote, but this...

“Many escaped the valley. I saw from where I hid up high in the rocks. The army was upon them when the horde burst free of the temple. The things that my tribe had become devoured the Khajiit and then turned on each other. It’s said that they were trapped by an avalanche, but that’s not true. I saw the shapes in the moonlight, moving away through the trees. I heard the cries. And I remember.”

Just shiver inducing... indifferent.gif ...

Let's hope there's some more very soon... biggrin.gif ...

Pretty much perfect I say!!...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds most heartily*...

Darkness Eternal
No problem Grits, happy to help. I like that they have different types, too!

Yes Jerric, I wish I had a tail too!

The witty banther between Jerric and Darnard had me laughing. "How is what? My face?"

laugh.gif

Lildereth's history was pretty cool to read. I echo the others. Xylo river, eh? A pretty exotic place. Then again, Valenwood is everything exotic compared to Cyrodiil and Skyrim or even High Rock. I enjoyed reading about her story about the Five Year War between the Bosmer and the Khajiit, and of course the Wild Hunt! One of the two Wild Hunt's in the ES.

I have to say what you're good at is writing dialogue. You have great skill in the pacing and the words that I sometimes struggle with! Good job on that wink.gif

haute ecole rider
A little late to the updates, but I have finally caught up on your story.

It is as wonderful and immersive as always. Maybe better because of my prolonged absence.

Lildereth is just growing on me. She is turning into the star of this story for me, even though I still love Jerric and Darnand (and their interactions).

I really have enjoyed meeting Aravi. Especially enjoyed her arachnophobia. Though my own cats just watch the creepy-crawlies with bored fascination and little else of use.
King Coin
So sorry it’s taken me this long to comment, though you know I’ve read it long before now.

The imagery in the beginning is so beautiful. Cool air, a misty bath, shining stars, and frogs trilling. smile.gif

Ah, all the reminders of Darnand’s troubles with fire. laugh.gif Their scrapping is so funny. Those two are so different.

Glad Aravi is spider-gunk free now. I’m sure she was the first to bathe.

Not yet. We have some time.
AKA “Keep talking!” Surprised that worked with Lil.

Now we finally learn what Lildereth is about. ohmy.gif That was intense, and I see why she was nervous about trusting Aravi. And we see what she’s been looking for now.

Lildereth stood up. “The stew is ready.”
Aaand that’s it! No more from Lil now.

The stew jokes lightened it up nicely after Lil’s heavy revelations. Wonderful chapter and I very much enjoyed our collaboration together. happy.gif
McBadgere
Damn...I wondered for a minute if a new part had been presented... sad.gif ...

*Looks over glasses*... huh.gif ...

tongue.gif biggrin.gif ...
ThatSkyrimGuy
Started reading this one and enjoying it. It'll take quite some time to catch up, so I will post in the "Commentasaurus" thread untill I do. Great stuff! salute.gif
Kazaera
OMG I caught up I caught up I caught up!

And I am now going to quote something relatively minor from *ages* ago:

QUOTE(Grits @ Jan 15 2012, 07:39 PM) *
“I have worked out the spell already,” Darnand scowled, rubbing his forehead. “It is the same enchantment that I will use for Abiene’s rain bracelet. The spell that allows one to walk upon water, weakened and spread over one’s person instead of only the body’s plantar surfaces. It should shed water in that application, or contain it when applied to a vessel’s interior. Nord, must you fling projectiles at me?”

because, well - Adryn's world has an umbrella spell too, and I decided it was a very weak Shield effect - and then I read this and went "agh! water-walking spell around the whole body! Why didn't I think of that that's perfect!" and have been simultaneously kicking myself and in awe of your brilliance ever since.

In general, I really, really like the way you delve into magic and how it *works*. Even though that delving simultaneously leaves me terrified for Darnand. Nooooo Darnand please don't become a necromancer! Just say no to zombie-raising! But he's just *curious*, and that's a motive I can understand very well... but I'm so worried where it'll lead him.

As always, your writing is an absolute delight and leaves me in awe. There are perfect moments everywhere, and your characters are so well-drawn. I appreciate seeing terrifyingly efficient super-competent Blades! (Especially because my main exposure to them has been via Morrowind and, well.) My heart bleeds for everyone involved in the Darnand+Jerric+Abiene triangle, and oh, Jerric's explanation for why they couldn't be together... *sniffs*. I love Jerric's deceptive depths. Lildereth's backstory was definitely, definitely worth the wait - it was amazing, and heartwrenching, and explains so very much about her. And it's good to know she's not a Mythic Dawn sleeper agent!

(Probably.)

In short: this story is amazing and I await further updates with bated breath.
Grits
Previously: Jerric, Darnand, Lildereth, and Aravi camped by warm springs overlooking Hope Valley. Lildereth told the story of her tribe becoming the Wild Hunt during the Five Year War with the Khajiit. She admitted that the monsters she is hunting are the remnants of her tribe. Aravi and her screenshots appeared with the generosity and cooperation of her creator King Coin. Thank you so much, KC!!

A reminder: As Brother Venco instructed Jerric is traveling incognito while Blades with actual training try to flush out Mythic Dawn agents for questioning. That scene can be found here. Venco took Jerric’s Blades helm and Kvatch gear and said he should ditch Lil. Jerric had Lil steal the helm back instead. He couldn’t tell her what was going on so he put her where she could figure it out.

Elisabeth Hollow: Yep, it's definitely a load off Lildereth's mind. Lol on the cave beef.

mALX: You're so right, now Jerric understands what Lildereth already knew about what draws them together, and now they've both recognized it's also what pulls them apart. Thank you, mALX!

Acadian: I'm delighted that you drew attention to those two lines between the boyz. That moment represents so many others that don't get written. Aravi was indeed the catalyst for Lildereth's unburdening. The crew is lucky she stayed through all of their teasing! Thank you, Acadian!

SubRosa: That line was definitely a Riddick tribute, and I was grinning when you mentioned it. I’m glad you enjoyed Lil’s telling of her past. I considered several ways of presenting that scene including flashbacks, but in the end I thought her own words would serve best. Thank you, SubRosa!

ghastley: I’m glad you picked out Darnand’s line. He is at his most formal when he gets emotional, and that’s hard for me to convey. Lol, Darnand should step carefully around Aravi in Skyrim. Thank you, ghastley!

McBadgere: It’s funny how the biggest moments can be the pause where the thing is not said. Thank you so much, McB! And I hope there won’t be any more long delays. (But you know how it is. embarrased.gif )

Darkness Eternal: Thanks, DE! I love the more exotic locations in Tamriel. I can’t wait for an excuse to write about Elsweyr and Black Marsh. About dialog, I always cut a lot since the characters keep running their mouths whether it’s relevant to the story or not, lol. It can be nerve-wracking to try to get it all down. Thanks, DE!

haute ecole rider: Thank you, haute! It’s taken a long time to show why Lil can be difficult. I’m glad she’s finally coming into her own in the story. It was a delight to have Aravi’s company for a while. I’m glad you enjoyed her!

King Coin: It was a pure joy to collaborate with you on these sections. I’m sure Aravi needed to get away from the maniacs as much as she wanted that bath! I love that you pointed out the way the friends handled each other at the campfire. Thank you so much, KC!

ThatSkyrimGuy: SkyGuy, welcome! I’ll see you in the Commentasaurus. smile.gif I’m delighted that you’re reading.

Kazaera: I love your Shield spell umbrella! It makes me think of the visual effect of Skyrim’s Ward spells projected over the head and following along for the duration. Sleeper in the Cave is always inspiring, particularly in the way you present magic. Your concerns for Darnand are so appreciated. They demonstrate your real understanding of his character. Thank you, Kaz!

Next: Jerric and Darnand are pursuing their Mages Guild recommendations while they search for Books 3 and 4 of the Mythic Dawn Commentaries. Lildereth is collecting Welkynd stones to trade for Master Illusion training while she searches for clues that might lead her to her lost tribe mates (so she can kill them). Onward to Bruma!

Grits

Chapter 17: Bruma, Part One

Jerric lay with his head sticking out of the tent, looking up at the stars. Four days’ travel on dry roads had brought them nearly to Bruma. Darnand and Lildereth were easy company. The elf had stayed with them rather than disappearing into the woods as was often her habit. Jerric suspected that the steep terrain had much to do with her decision.

Clear skies had given them magnificent views across the Heartlands to the Imperial City. It wasn’t until they turned up the Silver Road that Jerric felt the mountains closing in.

Five months ago he had followed this path with Martin and Brother Jauffre as they made for the safety of Cloud Ruler Temple. Lord Martin and Grandmaster Jauffre, he reminded himself. Prior Maborel’s blood had been wet on the ground and Kvatch had still burned behind Jerric’s and Martin’s eyes. Now in early spring there was more snow on the ground. The cold was just as piercing.

Jerric could hear Darnand outside the tent rummaging in his pack, trading books for his journal and a charcoal pencil for his quills and ink. Tonight around the campfire Jerric had shared the tale of his older brother Petr and the wolf while Darnand recorded his memories. Jerric hadn’t yet been born when the events had occurred, so he had simply repeated the story as it had been told to him and as he in turn had passed it on to younger family members. As he spoke he had almost heard the echo of his Pa’s and Petr’s voices. Now his throat ached at their silence.

Lildereth’s shadow fell over him as she passed the low fire, finishing her pre-sleep rituals.

“We’ll be there by mid-day,” she said. “The weather is going to hold.”

Jerric smiled to himself. Lildereth did not bother with unnecessary remarks. This chatter was for his benefit.

“Remember you are to use your surname only,” Darnand said from beyond Jerric’s view.

“Kjellingsson. Right,” said Jerric. “Bruma must be used to Nord ways. No one will expect me to use two names.”

The urge to tease about Imperial and Breton ancestral vanity faded as quickly as it came. Folk said the dead could hear when their names were spoken. Jerric felt a vague unease. He had no regard for his own reputation, but his Pa had passed beyond offering forgiveness. He guessed he might learn how it felt to hold on to shame.

“I propose that you call yourself Kjelling,” said Darnand. “You will provoke fewer questions if you use a simple name.”

“No way,” said Jerric. “There was only one Kjelling, and it’s not me.”

“Kjellingsson of Anvil,” Lildereth suggested. “With that West Weald accent and a Gold Coast drawl it’s no secret you’re not from around here.” She glanced down at him as she walked past. “And you won’t have to keep track of a lie.”

“Yeah. The less I talk the fewer times I’ll screw it up. I give myself ten minutes. Less if there’s an attractive woman at the gate. You two should take wagers.”

“I claim the livery,” said Darnand. “Though I hope you make it as far as the gate. Lildereth?”

The elf didn’t reply as she slipped into the tent. Jerric turned his head to watch her drop her cloak before burrowing into the bedroll. To his surprise she spread her furs over him instead.

“Don’t get ideas,” she muttered. “It’s fetching cold.”

“Colder than a minotaur with brass balls,” Jerric agreed. He lifted his arm so she could crawl under.

“Colder than a horker’s twat,” Lildereth said, a smile in her voice. Jerric’s brow went up as she wrapped around him like a sea star. Her chilled nose made him twitch.

Jerric tucked the furs then worked his arm back under. “I guess your elf magic isn’t much use on the ice.”

Lildereth’s reply was muffled but her tone was unmistakable.

“Is any part of you still touching the ground?” Jerric asked. “You know, it’s warmest down the front of my drawers.”

“Guess that’s why your hands are never cold. Sweet Mother Mara, you stink! I thought I was used to it.”

Jerric laughed, his breath puffing out in a cloud. “That’s the beans. You can’t complain about the stink while you’re enjoying the warmth.” He clenched his belly to see if he could squeak out another one.

Lildereth made the expected sound of dismay.

Darnand spoke from the darkness. “I shall awaken you for your watch whether or not you have slept.”

“Come on over,” Jerric suggested. “We can make an elf sandwich. For heat.”

Lildereth started to laugh.

“Did you think I said ‘meat’?” Jerric teased. “You know, you’d be warmer bare. And if you might give in to any urges I could stay awake for it. Whoa! That’s not a good place for your knee.”

Lildereth wiggled around some more.

Ulfe emerged from the trees and ambled over. She planted her great, snowy paws on Jerric’s chest and leaned down, huffing her breath in his face.

“Argh, Ulfe! Have you been eating mort flesh?” He couldn’t get an arm free to shove the dog. “Breton, get over here! She’s got me pinned! You’re supposed to be protecting the camp!”

“The dog is friendly,” Darnand said in an absent tone. “And if you refer to the elf, then count yourself lucky.”

Jerric heard a page turn over the sound of Ulfe’s panting. The hound let out a whimpering groan as she flopped down on top of them. Lildereth made a frantic yelp under the furs.

“Don’t blame me, it’s the dog.” Jerric heaved her off with a grunt, still grinning over Darnand’s jest. “Here, girl.” He patted the ground cloth.

Ulfe got the hint and stretched out with her back against him. Lildereth finished squirming and lay curled into his other side. Jerric closed his eyes.

After a moment he opened them again.

“Breton.”

“…Yes?”

“Uh, never mind.”

A soft snort came from Darnand’s direction. He might as well have spoken the words, ‘You are welcome.’

Elisabeth Hollow
I feel your pain, Lildreth. My husband can stink up under the covers, too XD
And he's sooooooooo warm!
ghastley
Whoa! That’s not a good place for your knee.

biggrin.gif

And Lil should not forget that it's those chemical reactions that are fueling the warmth. But she can blame Jerric for cooking beans, assuming he's still the camp cook.

Nice cameo from Ulfe. I suspect she'll be getting into more situations once they get to town.

P.s. remind us how many Welkynds Lildereth has found when you get the chance. It seems like forever since she last got one.
haute ecole rider
So the banter between the three remains light-hearted and fun, in spite of all the heavy memories that have been previously shared.

it's a nice way to slide back into the story. I especially liked your reference to the five months since Jerric last passed this way with Brother Lord Martina and Grandmaster Jauffre. It gives us a clear idea of the time line, especially given how long the telling of this story has stretched over the past couple of years!

I respect Jerric's insistence on keeping the -sson with his father's name. It reveals how much his relationship with his father and the man's death still affects our Nord stink-bug.

Beans! Love eatin' 'em, hate the side effects! Oh, and I don't doubt it's more than the beans keeping Jerric warm. wink.gif

Good to see an update here again!
SubRosa
So its been five months since Kvatch and Martin. It seems like longer, but that is just because of all the adventures/quests/missions/things that Jerric and crew have gotten themselves into since then.

As the others said, this episode gives us a lot of fun banter between the trio (fouro counting Ulfe). Just as looking back at how long it has been since Kvatch, the depth of their current relationship is an example of how much time has passed since they first teamed up back in Anvil.
mALX

Petr and the wolf, BWAAHAA! I remember watching the Disney version with my children, ROFL !!! If we'd only known it was Jerric's story, ROFL!

Loved the Nord name world-building there, but after all this time I've forgotten some things - wondering why they have to sneak into Bruma and be careful of names there.

How nice it was to see a Jerric chapter on the boards! Awesome write, but too short !!!!!

McBadgere
biggrin.gif ....

*Sighs contentedly*...I do loves me Jerric... biggrin.gif ...

Proper brilliant!!...

Subtle stuff abounding!!...

Subtle reminder of the MQ stuff, Jerric's loss at Kvatch, where he's from originally, the unspoken "Stuff" between Jerric and Lildreth...And I don't mean...Um... kvright.gif ... kvleft.gif ...Nevermind...

So yeah, excellently brilliant stuff hidden in such a simple section...*Applauds*...

Dear Santa...For Christmas I would like to be able to write as good as Grits...I promise to be good!...Yes, yes I do!!... bigsmile.gif ...

hubbahubba.gif ...Oh dang... dry.gif ...

Oh, the "Colder than..." debate made me laugh loudly...Which at 3.30am is possible not the best...I shall be told off!!... laugh.gif ...But still...So funny...*Smiles broadly again*...

QUOTE(The ever amazing Grits)
...And I hope there won’t be any more long delays. (But you know how it is. embarrased.gif )

Yeah, yeah I do...*Looks at own pile 'o' not finished*...The main thing is that we don't give up, eh?... smile.gif ...

Aaaamywho...

Absolute brilliance...

Love it!!...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds most heartily*...
Acadian
“Yeah. The less I talk the fewer times I’ll screw it up. I give myself ten minutes. Less if there’s an attractive woman at the gate. You two should take wagers.” - - Even completely out of context at any time or place, this could only be Jerric speaking! biggrin.gif

What a delightful evening as the big Nord draws elves and dogs to him in search of warmth. I see Lildereth has done her ‘gotta get warm’ vs ‘crushed by giant Nords and dogs’ calculations. It seems she underestimated the odor factor though.

Beans. Why did this episode conjure eye-stinging images from Blazing Saddles?

Bruma, eh? I guess Jerric is not taking them ‘someplace warm’, as Kharjo would say.
Darkness Eternal
Hmm. Peaceful and lovely scenery, even despite the bloody memories. A relief from the darkness of the caves and the creepy subterranean levels of the many forts, I say.

Jerric laughed, his breath puffing out in a cloud. “That’s the beans. You can’t complain about the stink while you’re enjoying the warmth.” He clenched his belly to see if he could squeak out another one.

At least it wasn’t cave beef or mountain oysters, or gods forbid, sewer rat meat all mixed in together. I like Ulfe! wub.gif
King Coin
Glad you still are writing for these guys! Though I’m not doing much better… shutting up!

I barely remember Jerric’s run with Martin to Cloud Ruler Temple. That was a long time ago. I like the constant reminders of Kvatch. With someone like Jerric, it’s all too easy to forget that he lost everything when Kvatch burned. I love the light hearted teasing between the three.

So, Jerric is a gas fueled stove. laugh.gif
Colonel Mustard
An update! Well finally! tongue.gif

It's good to see the gang back in action again, and I'm loving the banter that's flying back and forth between them all; I'd quote my favourite lines, but seeing as that would be most of the chapter I'll spare you that.

And five months! Wow, time has flown! I can't help but find it a surprisingly leisurely pace to take when the end of the world via Daedric Cult is looming, but maybe there's a reason why they're getting away with it. Either that, or we're going to have a surprise ending of "Jerric, Darnand and Lildereth were too slow and Mehrunes Dagon appeared in the Imperial City with nothing that could stop him. The world was destroyed and everyone died. The end." Would certainly be a curveball to throw at us. wink.gif

mALX: I'm going to take a guess that Jerric's taking a false name in order to disguise his presence in case of any more assassination attempts by the Mythic Dawn. Seems a pretty sensible precaution to take at this stage.
Grits
Previously: Jerric, Darnand, and Lildereth camped on the Silver Road. It was cold.

Elisabeth Hollow: Warm and cuddly, but there’s a price! biggrin.gif

ghastley: Yep, Jerric is responsible for the meal and the results. The other two could manage it but they prefer Jerric’s cooking. Also that gives them something to complain about. tongue.gif Lildereth has not admitted how many Welkynd stones she has already turned in or still needs (or where she got them). She can’t help playing it close to the vest. The last four she got were from Hrotanda Vale, about two story weeks ago (posted last October). embarrased.gif

haute ecole rider: Banter is how Jerric and Lildereth hide their hearts, so I’d bet on it continuing. I’m glad you pointed out Jerric’s thoughts of his father. That guilt is not going away soon either.

SubRosa: I suspect it seems like longer because the ride to CRT was posted in March… 2011. ohmy.gif And when they teamed up in Anvil one of the first things Lil said was that she wouldn’t climb into the furs with him! laugh.gif

mALX: Thanks for asking about the secrecy. I added a “Story So Far” post after this one. The short version: Brother Venco sent his ‘real’ Blades agents out as bait to snare some Mythic Dawn agents for questioning. He doesn’t want Jerric getting assassinated in the meantime so he made the plan for him to travel as Darnand’s hired guard named Kjellingsson, hoping that’s a balance of truth and confusion that Jerric would not manage to screw up. He mentioned that if the MD still managed to find and assassinate Jerric that would also provide some valuable information. Venco is not a fan of the late Lord Uriel’s you’re-the-one-from-my-dreams recruitment process.

McBadgere: *blush* Thank you, McB! Some of the stuff they say makes me laugh, too. And never when I’m actually trying to write it.

Acadian: Between the beans and the dog, Lildereth got more than she bargained for. tongue.gif

Darkness Eternal: It was fun to get Ulfe back into a scene. I’m glad you liked her.

King Coin: Yeah, he keeps his mind off it but his losses are always right below the surface. Just about everything reminds him that he can’t go home.

Colonel Mustard: Lol, that would be a surprise ending! I should mention that in this story time the way our mortals view it moves about three times faster in Tamriel than in Dagon’s realm. So it’s barely begun from the daedric side of the portals. You’re right on Jerric’s false name.

Next: Not an update, but a refresher on the story so far.
Grits

The Story So Far

Jerric the Nord battlemage lives happily with his large extended family in Kvatch. He works as a guard for his family’s caravan business.

After a drunken brawl on the waterfront Jerric spends his first night in the Imperial City locked up. This is not surprising. However rather than releasing him from the drunk tank along with the others, the guards put Jerric down in the prison. Jerric suspects that his brother had something to do with it.

The real surprise comes in the form of Uriel Septim and the remnants of his Dragonguard. They charge through Jerric’s cell uttering threats on the way to a secret escape route. Someone has murdered all of the Septims, and the Emperor is next. BUT WAIT! You are the one from my dreams…

After witnessing Uriel’s murder Jerric finds himself taking the Amulet of Kings to the Grandmaster of the Blades, Brother Jauffre. The highly trained last remaining personal bodyguard of the Emperor (Baurus) has a target on his back and doesn’t know who else to trust.

Jerric gets into some scrapes and makes some friends on the way. (Weye, Aleswell, the Odiils.) He hands over the Amulet and agrees to go warn the last remaining Septim (Brother Martin) as long as it doesn’t make him late for his Ma’s birthday party. The Grandmaster is in a bind since anyone except for Baurus and Jerric (and Martin who doesn’t know he’s a Septim) could be part of the assassination plan. No one would believe that this Nord would be dispatched along with a paint pack horse (Flash) to save the world. And Jauffre himself has taken on the huge responsibility of guarding the Amulet.

As it happens Jerric already knows Brother Martin. He taught Jerric his first healing spell at the Chapel of Akatosh in Kvatch.

Jerric arrives at Kvatch and finds it under siege by daedra. There’s a Gate to Oblivion keeping his family trapped inside the burning city. Savlian Matius has taken charge, being the highest ranking anyone left alive. He explains the issue. Jerric jumps through the Gate in an attempt to find a way to close it. Eventually he does.

Then he helps the Kvatch Guard take back the ruined city, earning various names in the process. Lionheart seems to stick. In the chapel Jerric has a quiet word with Akatosh. For once the Dragon God of Time seems to listen.

Martin survives. He knows Jerric as a hardworking citizen, a brawler, a womanizer, and a bit of an idiot, but not a liar. He becomes convinced that he is the cause of the sack of Kvatch. The Emperor’s words to Jerric echo his own thoughts when he first met Jerric as a lad. Martin follows Jerric (and Flash) to Weynon Priory. Jerric begins having dreams of fire and a great claw splitting him open. He believes he is seeing the moment of his death.

They arrive to find the Priory under attack. Their enemy has discovered the location of the Amulet of Kings and taken it while Jauffre was busy slaying the zealots. Once again everyone is a suspect, especially those who live(d) at the Priory. Jerric agrees to help Jauffre escort Martin to the Blades’ secret stronghold of Cloud Ruler Temple.

At Cloud Ruler Temple Jerric is inducted into the Blades as a Knight Brother. Jauffre bends the rules for him, since the dead Emperor’s dragon blood showed him Jerric standing at Martin’s side. (Or so they figure. The Emperor could have been a little more specific about exactly what he saw in those dreams.) Jerric will act as an agent directed by Jauffre or Baurus according to a code they arrange. A simple code, because… well, Nord. Jerric heads back to Anvil, realizing that the people who could help him beef up his magic skills are in the area. Plus he should probably tell them he’s alive.

On the way he sees a Gate to Oblivion. He enters and closes it. Then he spends the next two months wandering the wilds closing Gates when he finds them. His thirtieth birthday passes while he is in Dagon’s realm.

When he finally gets almost to Anvil he saves Darnand’s butt from a rogue mage. Darnand immediately returns the favor when a pair of Battlemages sees Jerric as a threat. Darnand eases Jerric’s transition back to civilization. The two had begun a friendship the summer before, and their bond strengthens in the course of a few adventures (Siren’s Deception, Lildereth’s zombie run, assault on Fort Strand). Darnand is a bit of a difficult person who has come to appreciate the effort Jerric made in befriending him. Lildereth is a newcomer having just returned to Cyrodiil from Valenwood. Jerric is Jerric. You know what he’s like.

Jerric and Darnand decide to go on a road trip to get their Mages Guild recommendations. Mostly Jerric needs to learn some new spells from Vigge, who has moved to Kvatch. Lildereth decides to come with them. She is not forthcoming about her reasons.

Also now they have a dog (Ulfe). smile.gif

In the Imperial City Jerric checks in with Baurus. The two discover evidence that confirms the Mythic Dawn cult as the culprit in the assassinations. Baurus directs Jerric to keep searching for Books 3 and 4 of the Mythic Dawn Commentaries, or Commentaries on the Mysterium Xarxes if you are a rare book dealer with a stick up your behind (Phintias.) Baurus will stay in the IC following up on leads.

In Weynon Priory Jerric learns that Brother Piner has been tortured to death by the Mythic Dawn. Minutes later he meets with the new Blades contact at the Priory, Brother Venco. He also sees that Darnand has been taken into the secret (but known by the Mythic Dawn, hmm) room for questioning. Jerric is not happy about getting Darnand involved. Venco does not care about Jerric’s “feelings” on the matter. Darnand is an asset. Venco is kind of a scary badass.

Also Venco tells them that he suspects Lildereth of being a Mythic Dawn agent who hopes that Jerric will lead her to Martin. He doesn’t have proof, he’s just a suspicious person. That’s what happens when you hang around with spies.

Anyway Brother Venco confiscates Jerric’s Kvatch and Blades gear, telling him that he will henceforth travel under the name Kjellingsson as Darnand’s hired guard to avoid being grabbed up by the MD. He supplies armor suitable for a mercenary and an Akaviri-style shield (Tower of the Nine, awesome) to help with the deception. Venco has Blades agents out posing as Jerric to confuse the enemy. Also as bait to hopefully catch one for questioning. So far they have all killed themselves before the torture “questioning” could get serious.

Lildereth checks back in with the boys, delivering an expletive-laced diatribe against Martina Floria of the Arcane University. It seems Martina wants Welkynd stones in exchange for Master Illusion training. Lil decides to stay with the guys.

While in Chorrol Jerric sends Lildereth on an errand to Weynon Priory to steal his Blades helm back from Venco’s secret room. It’s his vote of confidence in Lil, plus he gets his enchanted helm back and lets her in on what’s going on without breaking his vow and telling her. In return he helps her assault Hrotanda Vale in search of Welkynd stones. They also find the teenaged survivor of a recent battle at the ruin (Valdi). She eats Jerric’s sandwich, steals the backpack he leaves out for her, and then disappears.

A word about Abiene. Abiene has moved to Chorrol to pursue her studies in surgery. She and Jerric had enjoyed a lusty summer in Anvil then said goodbye. When he returned to Anvil having survived Kvatch, Abiene convinced him to pick back up with her. (Pretty much by climbing into his lap. It was not a hard sell.) Then they said goodbye again, hoping they would reunite soon in Chorrol. In Chorrol Jerric told her they had to end it for her safety, even though there was really no “it” at least publically.

At first they had kept it secret in Anvil to hide Abiene’s complete lack of professionalism in using her student as a slam piece. After Kvatch but still in Anvil Abiene admitted she didn’t want the added heartbreak of being known as his ex after he had left her to probably go off and die. Also her family would not consider him to be boyfriend material, and she did not want to put on her big girl panties and deal with them. Of course they didn’t fool everyone while they were going at it like bunnies. Thaurron and Carahil certainly noticed. Darnand did not.

So in Chorrol Jerric tells her he really means it this time (while in bed right after nailing her, nice timing Nord). Abiene had just told him she wanted their relationship to be out in the open, so she is not happy.

Meanwhile the Mythic Dawn has been opening Gates to the Deadlands. Sometimes they’re next to a community and there are massive casualties. Sometimes they’re in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason. Jerric’s theory is that they use Gates in Tamriel to take shortcuts through the Deadlands, since he has seen multiple Gates open within sight of each other there but only one is visible on the Tamriel side. For example traveling from Anvil to Blacklight with a quick stroll through Oblivion. Also it’s known that the sigil stones are made with mortal souls, and Jerric (and others) keep taking the sigil stones to shut the Gates. He thinks Dagon needs more souls.

Regarding Kvatch. Jerric has been calling Savlian Matius the Hero of Kvatch when he tells the story. He’s been recruiting the capable but disaffected people he encounters as potential new citizens wherever he goes. Savlian asked Jerric to stand with Rilian as Rilian delivered Count Kvatch’s signet ring and made his case to the Elder Council. The Elder Council gave the ring back to Rilian to give to Savlian as the new Acting Steward to hold for whoever the new count will be. Noble families from all over have been sending representatives to “help” since the Goldwine sons had recently been assassinated and there’s no heir. Savlian has a curfew in effect among other stringent measures to keep order on the plateau. Ghosts are a big problem. Thanks to the Kvatch City Guard, County Kvatch Militia, and the Imperial Legion, crime is not. After they got hammered in the Imperial City post-council meeting, Rilian asked Jerric if he could come along instead of going home to their burned-out city. Then he passed out. Jerric rather unusually wrote him a letter saying no and telling him what to do with his life. Get married, plant the new generation of Kvatchians in some nice girl with sturdy hips, rebuild the city. It’s what Jerric would do himself if he was free. Well, he’s not particular about the hips.

There’s a lot I skipped. A LOT. Like all of the Mages Guild Recommendation quests so far including Earana’s notes that Darnand stole and is still carrying, and the recent chapter in which they meet and work with King Coin’s wonderful Khajiit Aravi. Let me know if you have a question, and I’ll fill in some blanks.

A heartfelt thank you to everyone who is reading this story. It’s taken nearly three years to get this far, and there’s quite a ways to go. I hope very much that you’ll enjoy the rest of the journey. smile.gif

mALX

Thank you so much for the catch up on Jerric! When there is long periods between postings, sometimes we forget some of the details of the plots, it really helps!
ghastley
While the "already done" part is useful, I could do with the equivalent of the game's own "quests pending" page, to remind me: how many recommendations they still need; how many volumes of Mysterium Xarxes they haven't found; how close Lildereth is to her ten Welkynds; etc. And a reminder of their overall plan, and what depends on what else. E.g. needing to complete the recommendation quests in order to ..., or Lil getting her Mastery in Illusion so she can ... (I think you explained that once, but I've forgotten).

But don't let it hold up the next episode!

SubRosa
The "Our Story So Far" is a good idea for a story that has been going on this long. A while ago I did something similar on the first post of the TF, to help people either get caught up or to act as a refresher.
Acadian
What a delightfully fun walk down Jerric Lane, complete with some tongue in cheek parenthetical comments that only the clever wit of Grits could provide.

It is wonderful to see this summary. It'll be handy for linking to new readers who may want to catch up and quickly jump aboard Jerric's story.

It has been pure joy to follow the adventures of our lovable Nord and his pals. Gosh, has it really been three and a half years already? May he have many more ahead to enthrall us with. When you say there is quite a ways to go, that’s beautiful music to the big ears of a little blond elf who, if you can keep a secret, is a bit smitten by the big fella who gifted her with an enchanted butterfly toe ring. wub.gif (Don’t worry though, she’s not about to risk the ire of dear Abiene, Lildereth - or half the other women of Cyrodiil).
haute ecole rider
Thank you so much for the update/story so far - it really helps refresh my memory of the sequence of events.

Certain things stand out, others I've forgotten (like Jesan and Jerric heading off to the Elder Council for help).

As always, your asides and comments (Jerric is Jerric, after all, thanks for keeping that forefront for all of us) are enjoyable and delightful.
Darkness Eternal
A great summary and detailed work on Jerric's story. I can't thank you enough for posting this. A new reader like me might have felt lost a bit.

I can see that the rest of the story will be equally as good as the previous chapters themselves. Can't wait to read more and I truly mean it!
smile.gif
King Coin
Thanks for the summary. There was a lot I forgot about, and it was fun remembering them.
Grits
Previously: We had an update on the story so far. Before that the crew camped along the Silver Road headed to Bruma. It was cold.

Everyone: Thanks, folks! I think a game-style Quest Log would be a great addition to the Darnandex. I’ll link to the completed quests where they happened in the story. At the least it will help me do less searching when I want to check something I wrote years ago. That’s a project for December. smile.gif

Next: Bruma. Jerric and Darnand are seeking their Mages Guild recommendations while searching for Books 3 and 4 of the Mythic Dawn Commentaries. Lildereth still needs some Welkynd Stones to trade for Master Illusion training, maybe. The group includes three horses and a dog.

Chapter 17: Bruma, Part Two

Mid-day sun glared off the snow as they made the turn toward Bruma. Jerric yanked his hood down to shade his eyes. Then he pushed it back so he could see the mountains again.

“A lot of Nords in Bruma,” said Lildereth.

Jerric glanced over to where she rode beside him. Her eyes glinted back from the shadows between her cloak and hood.

“Won’t see many wood elves, I’d wager,” he said. “Maybe in the brothels. Might be one or two there.”

Lildereth didn’t reply.

“So that folk can have a choice,” Jerric explained. Lildereth had been silent since they started the final climb to the fields surrounding Bruma. He knew he had a better chance of carrying a snowball through the Deadlands than figuring out what was on her mind. Provoking her sometimes solved that problem.

Ulfe romped past, snorting snow. She earned little more than an ear flick from the horses, but her two-legged companions laughed.

“I wonder if she’s been here before,” said Jerric. He glanced back at the elf, wondering much the same thing. Lildereth didn’t offer any information.

Darnand called a halt from his position at the rear. He dismounted and walked over to face an impressive snowbank.

Jerric slid to the ground and unbuckled as he followed, observing the customary distance.

“We got snow in Kvatch, but never like this,” said Jerric. “I’m going to write my name.”

“Boys and their toys,” said Lildereth.

Jerric called back over his shoulder. “Come here and I’ll let you write yours. I can manage the first part at least.”

“Check your spelling,” said Darnand. He had accepted the unspoken challenge.

Jerric checked. “I’m not finished.” He managed the correction.

“His is longer,” Lildereth said to Jerric. He wondered if the elf had already accomplished her own comfort break. What mysteries she hid in the forest, the snow would tell.

“His name is longer,” Jerric said. Darnand finished his work with a flourish. “And look, he didn’t dot his ‘I’.”

“There is no ‘I,’” said Darnand. “I have rendered my name phonetically in Dwemeris.”

Jerric stared at him. “Are you jesting?”

The Breton did not look up from his robe-arranging. The three of them stood back to view the snow bank.

“It’s a good thing we’re not trying to maintain a low profile,” Lildereth said.

Jerric and Darnand exchanged a look. Their boots made quick work of obscuring the names.

“Anything else while we’ve stopped?” she asked. “Carve your initials in a tree? Or perhaps ‘draw’ a map?”

Jerric took the opportunity to attend to some itches. “Anyone else ready for lunch?”

That got Darnand and Lildereth back on their horses. Ulfe stayed behind, giving him a mournful look.

“Sorry, girl. That was a mean trick. Wasn’t meant for you.” Jerric packed a snowball for her to catch before he mounted up.

Lildereth took the lead on her mare Rose. Jerric nudged Kip up beside Darnand on Banner.

“I’ve never been inside the walls,” Jerric said.

Darnand’s breath steamed out of his hood when he spoke. “I am unknown in Bruma, as I have not returned since a single visit as a lad. Lildereth may be acquainted with some at the Mages Guild hall, we will know when we arrive. You need only remember your own name: Kjellingsson of Anvil.”

“Yeah, I know that. I remember.” Jerric’s shoulders eased at the reassurance. He searched the peaks for Cloud Ruler Temple, though he knew he wouldn’t see it. He imagined invisible eyes watching, not all of them friendly.

Wildeye Stables stood in the shelter of Bruma’s eastern wall, a cluster of low timber buildings arranged around a yard. A double row of fir trees protected the pasture from mountain winds. Two Skyrim huskies patrolled the fence line. Jerric glanced around to check on Ulfe. She did not seem interested in the other dogs. He dismounted and joined the business of settling the horses.

As usual Darnand conducted the transaction while Jerric and Lildereth shifted their gear. Jerric was the last to leave the barn. He found Darnand and Lildereth speaking with a yellow-haired Nord woman outside the stable house. She stood with her shoulders back and chest out, apparently unaffected by the wind.

Darnand stepped away as Jerric approached. “My packs,” Darnand said, nodding to where they sat on the ground.

Jerric blinked at him. “Uh…”

“Pick up his packs,” Lildereth hissed.

Darnand shot Jerric an irritated look.

“I’m Jerric,” Jerric said to the blonde woman.

“Petrine.” She crossed her arms under her bosom. Her eyes crinkled up when she smiled.

“Pleased to meet you.”

“You are to bring my packs, Kjellingsson,” Darnand said. He raised his brows in a way that must signify something.

Jerric got the message. Dammit! “Uh, as you say, your high… my lord… sir.”

Petrine looked back and forth between the two of them. Darnand appeared to be at an utter loss.

“They’re lovers,” Lildereth confided to the ostler. “Sometimes they forget how to act when we return to a city.”

Petrine and Lildereth shared a knowing glance.

“I shall go ahead,” Darnand snapped. “You accompany him, elf. Bring my belongings to the guild hall.”

“Uh,” Jerric said to Darnand’s back. “As you—”

Lildereth tugged on Jerric’s arm to get him moving.

“Subtle,” she remarked as soon as they reached the road.

“You lie as easily as breathing. It’s not like that for all of us.” Jerric paused to shift his burdens. “I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut. This close to Skyrim I’m just another Nord.”

Lildereth cast a spell and picked up some of the packs. “Until you start dancing with atronachs and throwing frost around.”

“These Mages Guild assignments haven’t called for much magic.”

Darnand waited near the gate with a storm in his face. “Perhaps we should review our strategy for maintaining an inconspicuous presence.”

Lildereth nodded at Jerric. “This one always causes talk. Now they already have a piece of gossip to chew on, so you can relax. Get over it, Breton. You’re not the first stuck-up semi-noble to get caught balling the help.”

Darnand’s reply emerged as an incoherent splutter.

Balling?” Jerric laughed at Lildereth.

“You should lead, your high lordness,” Lildereth said to Darnand. Humor still danced in her eyes. “Try to look chastened,” she told Jerric.

Darnand’s glare passed from Lildereth to Jerric. “Please attempt to appear as my escort. Keep the pace a few steps behind me.”

The two complied, falling in behind the sweep of Darnand’s cloak. Ulfe trotted up and took a position behind the Breton. Jerric silently begged her to goose him with her nose, but she maintained her regal bearing.

“He seems out of sorts,” said Lildereth, lifting her chin at Darnand’s back. “I guess he won’t be getting laid in Bruma.”

Jerric gave her a puzzled glance. Getting his stick wet was not on Darnand’s list of priorities, as far as he knew. The elf’s behavior was making less sense than usual.

“You called him a stuck-up semi-noble,” Jerric said. “That’d be hard to hear. Especially from you.”

Lildereth looked contrite. Jerric reminded himself of her skill in illusion magic.

“That’s not how I see him at all,” she said. “It’s just that haughty tone and arrogant expression. A lot of people take him the wrong way.”

“With your tactful ways, I guess you know about that.”

Lildereth’s glance covered his entire person. “So do you.”

Jerric prepared his introduction speech as they approached the gates, but the guards waved them through. Darnand led them up a main thoroughfare past the towering chapel without hesitating. The city climbed in long terraces up to the castle. Cinders and finely crushed stone allowed easy footing on the packed snow. The broad sets of stairs between levels had been cleared down to the stone.

While the road outside had been nearly empty, Bruma’s city streets bustled with activity. Citizens gathered around braziers in the open area between the gate and the chapel. Jerric heard snippets of the Nordic tongue amongst the babble of Cyrodilic. Most folk wore at least a cape of some kind, but many were bare-headed. Darnand cast a spell as he walked. Jerric glanced over at Lildereth and grinned. Her expression was unreadable, masked behind her furs and woolen wraps.

They passed through neighborhoods and shopping districts along the way to the guild halls in the city’s center level. The buildings stood in rows all facing out over the city. Jerric guessed that the fronts were mostly business establishments with private life conducted to the rear. Jerric’s heart lifted at the view over walls to the snowy Jeralls beyond.

Music drifted out the open door of one establishment. The women lounging along the wide porch possessed the inviting smiles and predatory eyes of working girls. Jerric didn’t need to look for the sign. Brothel. We must be near the Fighters Guild.

He turned to Lildereth to make a comment, but she kept her face forward. Banners on the buildings ahead announced that they had reached the guild halls.

Darnand lifted the latch at the Mages Guild Hall and stepped aside for Jerric to shoulder the door open. Jerric did not miss the smug twist of lip. He mentally cracked his knuckles. The Breton was enjoying his role a little too much. Payback would be sweet.

The guild’s entry hall made Jerric feel instantly at home. Timber, stucco, and stone combined made the space both spacious and welcoming. Shelves lined the walls to the left and right around a facing pair of high, arched doorways. Landings with stairs leading up and down were visible through them. No one sat at the entry’s small receiving tables, but a richly dressed Altmer stood browsing through the bookshelves. A redheaded Breton woman was barely visible behind the far counter. Smaller doors stood open behind her, revealing the work spaces beyond.

“Ugh,” said Darnand. “It smells like a scamp in here.”

The Altmer arched an elegant brow in Jerric’s direction. His perfect nose twitched. “I should think that would be an improvement,” the mer declared.

Colonel Mustard
I'd forgotten how much fun this story could be. Had some absolutely awesome one-liners in here. I can already sense that it's going to be hugely entertaining to see Jerric try and maintain this alter-ego of Darnand's servant while they're in Bruma.

“They’re lovers,” Lildereth confided to the ostler. “Sometimes they forget how to act when we return to a city.”

laugh.gif Lidereth, you troll!

Looking forward to more! smile.gif
SubRosa
Look like Jerric is envying Boromir for his sunglasses

“I have rendered my name phonetically in Dwemeris.”
Only a magic geek would ever do this! laugh.gif

“I’m Jerric,” Jerric said to the blonde woman.
Just like Captain Jack, he cannot help but to flirt. wink.gif Especially when he is supposed to be playing the part of the manservant instead!

Good save on Lil's part. Assuming the stablewoman believed her. She must have, for otherwise she would have probably taken it for a joke and laughed.

“I guess he won’t be getting laid in Bruma.”
Ouch! Lil's got those legs locked together!

Brothel. We must be near the Fighters Guild.
Ouch again! Commander Vitellus resembles that remark!

“I should think that would be an improvement,”
And schwing! for the ending! laugh.gif

All in all a nice introduction to the city of Bruma, with all the typical banter we have come to expect from the Terrible Trio. With all the pictures I have been seeing of Abiene and the gang lately, it felt strange that she was not there as well. But perhaps the Chevalier D'Eon is keeping her busy back in Chorrol? laugh.gif
Acadian
You crafted a fantastic backdrop here, where we were forced to squint against the snow glare and pull our furs closer to stay the cutting wind. As ever, you then liberally seasoned the scene with the wonderful banter among the trio that we have come to love.

‘The Breton did not look up from his robe-arranging. The three of them stood back to view the snow bank.
“It’s a good thing we’re not trying to maintain a low profile,” Lildereth said.’

This was priceless! I think perhaps Lil is the only one of the three cut out for this spy stuff. cool.gif

SubRosa has already quoted several of the delightful little gems you wove into this episode.

I really enjoyed the entrance into the Bruma MG because it felt so much like the game. Volanaro browsing books in his green silks, and even the leftover smell of Jeanne’s fifteen second scamp spell. happy.gif
Darkness Eternal
Lildereth got a bit mum when Jerric mentioned brothels, but she did save them from Petrine laugh.gif

I had a laugh out of fancy Darnand telling Jerric to check out his spelling when writing his name in the snow. This chapter was full of laughs and giggles and I am anticipating to see what the trio will conjure up while in the guildhall. I can trust Lildereth, she's more laid back. Now Jerric and Darnand are synonymous for trouble smile.gif
ghastley
QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 2 2013, 10:00 AM) *

“Ugh,” said Darnand. “It smells like a scamp in here.”

It's going to be a Rosentia cross-over story! The three will have to take a small Breton woman (who shall remain nameless) into a dark cave and leave her with the Daedra. In return Volonaro will teach them a spell to pick locks that Lildereth doesn't even notice being locked in the first place. They will return from the cave to find that the scamps have found Jerric stock of beans, and the resulting build-up of methane has blown up the Guild Hall. The fires may never go out!

Ulfe will remain the star, no matter where the story goes.
Grits
Previously: Jerric, Darnand, Lildereth, and Ulfe entered Bruma. At the stable Jerric flubbed his lines completely. Lildereth covered for his awkwardness by “confiding” that he and Darnand (his boss) are a couple. At the Mages Guild Volanaro welcomed them by implying that Jerric smells.

Colonel Mustard: Thank you, Mustard! Jerric is not at his best when juggling lies, and Lil just gave him another one to keep track of. These lighter updates have been fun to write.

SubRosa: I keep looking for Abiene, too. She’s worried that she’ll be forgotten! tongue.gif Lil was quite pleased with her save at the stable. Jerric’s appetite for the Bruma smorgasbord of big blondes and redheads has been on her mind. She’s not sure what she wants from him yet, but she’s sure she doesn’t want him to get anything while she’s deciding! Thank you, SubRosa!

Acadian: I’m glad you liked the familiarity of Bruma so far. I have to make it bigger than the game so that it makes sense in a story, but I very much want to keep the flavor of the Bruma we all know. It’s one of my favorite places in Cyrodiil. Thank you, Acadian!

Darkness Eternal: Thank you, DE! These next few updates will be talk-y and light, so I expect Jerric will put his boot in his mouth more than once again. You got it, Lil was not happy about the convenience of that brothel!

ghastley: Lol. So that’s why the guild halls don’t need fireplaces! Scamps and beans. That sounds like a menu. tongue.gif Thank you, ghastley!

Next: The Bruma Mages Guild.
Grits

Chapter 17: Bruma, Part Three

The Altmer had a pleasant expression on his face. Jerric decided the remark was only meant as an observation. He had to admit that it wasn’t inaccurate. The mer returned to his reading without offering an introduction.

The Breton at the counter raised a fist, gazing up at it in wide-eyed concentration. She grunted as she released her spell. An eddy formed in the air, eventually opening a rift into the Void. They all held their breath with the woman as they awaited what would come.

A stunted scamp dropped through. Its gleeful cackle was cut short as it toppled backward and out of existence the instant its feet touched the floor.

Darnand’s brows went up. Jerric glanced at the Altmer for a clue, but the mer’s eyes remained firmly in his book.

“Why, hello there!” the Breton called out. “You must be new. Oh, it’s so nice to see new faces in the guild!” She produced the scamp again. Now its squawk sounded like a plea.

Lildereth wrinkled her nose at Jerric. He got an idea why this enormous space was largely empty.

“I guess they’re suffering from the ban on Necromancy,” Lildereth murmured. “Perhaps she’s better at zombies.”

Jerric looked at the woman’s friendly eyes and freckled face. It was difficult to imagine her in a filthy robe stripping flesh from bones, but this chapter had once specialized in that school of magic. “Maybe she’s new,” he muttered back.

“Darnand Penoit, Kjellingsson of Anvil, and Lildereth,” Darnand said as they reached the counter. “The Nord and I request recommendations to the Arcane University. Lildereth and I require accommodations here at the guild hall.”

The redhead beamed around at them. “I am Jeanne Frasoric, Wizard of the Guild and head of our Bruma chapter,” she announced. “You seek recommendations, from me? Well, of course you do. Raminus would naturally want my opinion, wouldn’t he? This is a situation we can all benefit from, Associates. You do me a small favor, and I’ll happily send along a glowing recommendation.” She waved her hands at their bags and packs. “But first you will want to situate yourselves. Now, let me see…” She looked around at the now empty hall. “Well I shall do it myself. Follow me, Associates. And..?” She glanced back at Lildereth.

“Journeyman,” said Lildereth.

“Ah, Journeyman.” Jeanne brightened even more. She leaned in as if sharing a confidence, though Lildereth stood paces away. “If you ever need anything, just let me know. I have friends in all sorts of high places, you know, so I can get things done that others can’t. Someday maybe you could return the favor!” Jeanne strode through one of the arched openings and down the stairs.

Jerric smirked at Lildereth. “After you, Journeyman.”

Lildereth rolled her eyes. Darnand led them through to the lower level.

The living quarters were arranged in dormitory fashion with chambers on either side of the corridor. Jeanne continued in her bird-like voice when they reached her.

“You will find our accommodations most comfortable,” she informed them. “We house visiting members as guests of our residents. Each chamber is fully fitted to provide for four mages at work, rest, and leisure. The dining hall is on the upper level, adjacent to the main library. Summoning chambers, practice rooms, cold storage, and our… other facilities can be reached through passageways here and here.”

Darnand gave Jerric a significant look at the words ‘other facilities.’ Jerric simply hauled the bags and hoped he would explain later.

“Aaah, here we are,” Jeanne warbled. She swept into a chamber and made a little twirl, fluttering her hands at the space. “Lildereth, fellow Journeyman Selena Orania will be your host. Please make yourself comfortable on this side of the room. Selena will be your only roommate unless more traveling guild members arrive.”

Lildereth looked mildly pained at the mention of unknown cohabitants. Jeanne’s face bore a wellspring of hope.

“Are you expecting more visitors?” asked Darnand.

Jeanne puffed out a breath. “No.” Then her expression brightened again. “With me, Associates.”

Jerric looked around Lildereth’s room while Darnand followed Jeanne back into the corridor. The chamber held four double beds, each accompanied by a wardrobe, dresser, desk, bookshelf, and side table. Jerric estimated that a tribe of wood elves could camp there and still find elbow room. Lildereth dropped her packs near one desk and began unfastening her cloak.

“You could get lost in here, sprout,” Jerric said.

Lildereth sighed, but her lips made that half-smile. “You’ll wish you were here when you have to share the floor with some greasy orc over at the Fighters Guild. Or worse, a Nord.”

Jerric laughed. “Come find me when you get cold. Or cuddle up with this Selena, if she’s not a bag of bones.”

He turned to find an Imperial woman in a blue velvet gown standing at the doorway. Her short, dark hair bore streaks of silver. She did not look amused.

“Selena Orania,” said the Imperial. “Journeyman and Alchemist. If you have potions or supplies to trade, seek me out. You will find my shop on the main level.”

“I’m… Kjellingsson,” said Jerric. “Pleased to meet you.”

Selena stepped inside without further comment. Jerric felt her eyes on his neck as he walked out into the corridor.

“I’m Lildereth,” he heard the elf say. “Please ignore him. He has received many blows to the head.”

Selena’s voice sounded warmer when she replied. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Lildereth. I hope you will enjoy your stay! The Nords here don’t like Heartlanders very much, and we don’t get many visitors with the roads so dangerous these days. Have you traveled far? Has Jeanne shown you the bathing facility? I’ll say this for the locals, they know how to build a steam hut. Though most could benefit from more frequent application of simple soap and water.”

Lildereth’s laugh sounded like a mountain stream in spring. Jerric joined Jeanne and Darnand in the chamber across the hall.

Darnand stood listening to the chapter head. His mouth hung slightly open, and his brow furrowed in disbelief.

“You will find the materials you need in the supply room, adjacent to Selena’s alchemy workshop,” Jeanne was saying. She spun on her heel in dismissal. “Ah, there you are,” she said to Jerric. “I shall now assign your task. If you can find J’skar, I’ll write your recommendation immediately.”

“Uh,” said Jerric. He was beginning to sweat under his armor and cloak, and all of his and Darnand’s bags were hung about his person. The situation seemed informal for official business even by his standards.

Jeanne trotted the few steps to stand in front of Jerric. Her expression held genuine concern. “He’s disappeared,” she said. “I mean he’s really disappeared. No one has seen him in days. Volanaro thinks maybe a spell backfired. If someone from the Council were to stop by and find him gone, it’d look bad for me. I can’t have that. See what you can find out. If you can make J’skar re-appear, you’ll have your recommendation.”

Darnand’s jaw remained slack in the wake of Jeanne’s departure. Jerric separated their gear while the Breton collected himself.

“Inventory,” Darnand growled before Jerric could ask. “She has me taking inventory.”

Jerric had to laugh. “I guess she doesn’t need anything stolen and translated, secretly researched, or illegally enchanted. Say, maybe you could write a spell that would catch her on fire.”

The Breton slowly shook his head.

“You should write the lists in Dwemeris,” Jerric suggested. “Who the hells is J’skar?”

Darnand pinched the bridge of his nose.

“I’ll come back after I check in at the Fighters Guild,” Jerric told him. “See if you can find where this J’skar is, will you? I get the idea these folk are sick of Nords.”

Jerric found the Altmer back at the shelves in the entry hall.

“I’m Kjellingsson of Anvil,” said Jerric, feeling pleased for not stumbling. He shifted the packs so he could fold his hands in the traditional greeting.

The Altmer returned the gesture with a smile. “Volanaro, at your service. Need a spell? Need an item recharged? Need a witty practical joke played on someone? I can handle it all.”

“Pleased to meet you. Yeah, I might need some of that stuff. I have to check my situation with regards to coin.”

“If you have it, I’ll take care of everything,” Volanaro said. “Bruma may look like a Skyrim town, but we’ve got all the comforts and services of the warm Nibenean south.”

Jerric raised his brows. “Really?”

“No, not really.” Volanaro made a face. “It’s a little too rugged up here for me. Add a few hairs to a Nord, and you’ve got a bear!” He laughed.

At least he seems honest. “Ha,” Jerric said. “Say, who’s J’skar? Know where he is?”

“Hmm? Oh. Jeanne has you looking for him, does she? I’m afraid you’re not going to find him easily. I think a, uh, spell backfired. That’s probably it.”

Jerric recalled Volanaro’s offer of a witty practical joke. He began to doubt the wit part.

“Well, I’ll take my leave.” Jerric turned at the door to test his theory. “What do you think of this nose?” he asked, pointing to his frequently altered appendage.

Volanaro replied immediately in the same cheerful tone. “I’ve never heard of a Staff of Ugly, but now I know one exists.”

Jeanne strode through the side door as if she had purpose. She cast the scamp spell when she reached the counter.

Volanaro flinched. Jerric headed out into the clean mountain air.

Ulfe greeted him with a nose in the crotch the moment he stepped through the door. “You were smart to stay out here,” he said, roughing up her ears. “You could smell that scamp from the front gate, I’d wager.”

The Fighters Guild Hall stood next door. Jerric paused beside the steps.

Folk on foot passed at speeds from saunter to trot. No one turned in at the Fighters Guild. Nor at the Mages Guild. Jerric supposed the Bruma population was made up of a hardy sort that settled their own disagreements and had little use for magic.

The chapel bells rang the hour.

Or they’re all thinking about lunch. Jerric’s stomach rumbled.

He had a foot on the lowest step when a Nord woman caught his attention. Blonde and well-dressed without cloak or hood. Her eyes were locked on him. Jerric put his foot back on the ground and enjoyed the view while she approached.

“You have the look of a hired sword,” she said, stopping in front of him.

You have the bosom of a wet nurse. “I’m Kjellingsson of Anvil.” He nodded at the guild banners. “If you need a guard, you’ve come to the right place.”

“I thought it was you when I saw your shield. Petrine was right. You sound like you’re half-asleep when you talk.”

Jerric looked back up at her face, but she wasn’t familiar. “Have we met?”

“I’m Alga. Bard and trainer in the Art of Speech.” She put out her hand.

Jerric tried to turn it in the Imperial way, but she gripped his palm and shook it like a man.

“Pleased to meet you,” he said. “I just got here. My first time in Bruma.”

Alga stood with her feet planted as if she might throw a punch. “Bruma’s a funny place. Half Cyrodiil and half Skyrim. I’m old Nord all the way. I keep the old songs and stories alive.”

“I know a few stories myself,” Jerric told her. “Is there some place we —”

“Honmund is my live-in partner,” Alga interrupted. “We live together in the old Nord way. Good enough for my Fa and Ma, and good enough for me.”

“Uh,” said Jerric. “Yeah…”

“We have a word for Nords like you. Colovians. No offense, but I don’t want to hear any ‘Mara Mother Mild’ and Chapel family business.”

Jerric blinked at her. Ulfe was a Colovian hound, but he failed to make any other connection. “Did you just insult my dog?”

Alga leaned in, her pretty eyes cold as a glacier. “We may not wear your fancy rings, but make no mistake. Honmund is my man.”

Jerric and Ulfe exchanged a look as Alga marched away. “What the hells? ‘Art of Speech’ my furry backside. That woman is touched by Sheogorath.” He shook his head. “Let’s go inside.”

ghastley
I'll admit I didn't catch "in Dwemeris" the first time through - subtle!

I liked the way you portrayed Jeanne. I can almost imagine her as being brighter than she appears, and summoning smelly scamps just to get back at Volanaro. I'm sure he'd do the same for her, if he'd thought of it first. She's always struck me as having her position because she's a good book-keeper, not as a mage, and she's embarrassed at not having the magical skills. Much like the player can rise up in the ranks without casting a spell, she's done the same, on the business side of the Mages Guild. It makes perfect sense that Darnand gets an inventory job.

Alga left me as confused as Jerric, and I loved the way he thought she'd just compared him to Ulfe, and that the dog should be insulted!

King Coin
17-2

I’m sure Lil wants to know all about the brothels. rollinglaugh.gif

I like Lil’s comment while the guys are taking care of business. Jerric better make sure to write his ‘cover’ name.

Oh my gosh this is hilarious! They even thought to cover their names. And then at the stable Lil made sure Jerric couldn’t mount the woman later! laugh.gif I’m glad to see Lil in a good mood.
SubRosa
Jerric glanced at the Altmer for a clue, but the mer’s eyes remained firmly in his book.
This says even more than an actual verbal explanation! laugh.gif

but this chapter had once specialized in that school of magic.
Ewwww. Just as well it gets burned to the ground then.

Cold Storage? The previous mention of necromancy makes me wonder just what was stored in there in the old days!

He turned to find an Imperial woman in a blue velvet gown standing at the doorway. Her short, dark hair bore streaks of silver. She did not look amused.
Another shining example of that Jerric charm we all know and love so well! laugh.gif

I guess she doesn’t need anything stolen and translated, secretly researched, or illegally enchanted.
Isn't it funny how access to the most prestigious university in the land has nothing to do with academic ability! Then again, it does explain people like Jeanne... wink.gif

And finally a weird encounter with Alga (not to mention a slightly dense Jerric). Another fun installment in the JS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.