Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turning Save Game Player into NPC?
Chorrol.com > Mods > Oblivion Mods
mALX
I was wondering if anyone could help me with something.

I DL'd a mod of a very handsome Dunmer male Player character (who is a "save game" mod). I was wanting to keep his appearance, but make him into an NPC or follower, either one doesn't matter.

Does anyone know how to do that?
SubRosa
Oblivion Face Exchange will let you copy his face and paste it into another character's save file, replacing the original character's face. Or even let you replace your player character's face with the face of any NPC. But I think the only thing it won't do is let you copy a PC face to an NPC. Maybe Wyre Bash can do it, but I have never used it.
Grits
Pseron Wyrd does this, and I know he's discussed the process somewhere. I can't find where, though.
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 1 2013, 11:39 PM) *

Oblivion Face Exchange will let you copy his face and paste it into another character's save file, replacing the original character's face. Or even let you replace your player character's face with the face of any NPC. But I think the only thing it won't do is let you copy a PC face to an NPC. Maybe Wyre Bash can do it, but I have never used it.

Oh darn, that mod in the link is not Windows Vista compatable! I can't use Wrye Bash - get lost just reading the instructions.

I was hoping there would be a way to just open the save file mod up in the CS and make a clone of him as a new NPC or something.

Thank you so much for your help, SubRosa!

@ Grits - Thank you for the hint, Grits! I'll look up Pseron Wyrd's posts and see if I can find it, he can't have posted much on here.

Thank you both very much for your help!

mALX

Okay, I found the post from Pseron Wyrd, it gave no instructions (only what he did with them after he cloned them). I left a question to him on that thread.

On that same thread was these instructions by SubRosa, but they are for Skyrim:

There's also a way you can use the Character Creation (showracemenu) to export faces for NPC creation.

Just adjust the sliders like normal and get the type of face you want. When you're done, open the console and type SPF <insert a name here>. The saved SPF file will default into your game's root folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim) Open the CK and go to the Character Gen Parts tab and click the "Import" button. Now you have an NPC with the desired face that you want in the game.

I've made a lot of unique looking NPC's and followers using this method.

Would this work on Oblivion too?

SubRosa

There's also a way you can use the Character Creation (showracemenu) to export faces for NPC creation.

Just adjust the sliders like normal and get the type of face you want. When you're done, open the console and type SPF <insert a name here>. The saved SPF file will default into your game's root folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim) Open the CK and go to the Character Gen Parts tab and click the "Import" button. Now you have an NPC with the desired face that you want in the game.

Sadly that does not work for Oblivion. sad.gif

Face Exchange might work for you. I have had lots of trouble making it work on my Windows 7 computer. But the following did the trick:

Set it to run in Compatability Mode for Windows XP service pack 3
Tick the boxes for Disable Visual Themes, Disable Desktop Composition, and Disable Display Scaling on high DPI settings.

I am pretty sure Wyrd uses Wyre Bash, so that might be how he is doing it. I could never muddle through the mile long list of instructions for setting it up either, so I have never bothered with it either.
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 2 2013, 11:18 AM) *

Sadly that does not work for Oblivion. sad.gif

Face Exchange might work for you. I have had lots of trouble making it work on my Windows 7 computer. But the following did the trick:

Set it to run in Compatability Mode for Windows XP service pack 3
Tick the boxes for Disable Visual Themes, Disable Desktop Composition, and Disable Display Scaling on high DPI settings.

I am pretty sure Wyrd uses Wyre Bash, so that might be how he is doing it. I could never muddle through the mile long list of instructions for setting it up either, so I have never bothered with it either.

Making a copy of these instructions, thank you very much SubRosa! I'll try it in about two weeks when I get a chance to get in the game next. Very much appreciate your help!

Grits

I'm passing along some info from Wyrd:

First, he says hi. smile.gif

Wyrd confirms that he uses Wyre Bash.

It sounds like you select the save or mod you want to use the face in, then Import, Face from the source. Changing race, gender, or cosmetic mods could produce odd results. I have the details saved if anyone is going to go for it. Yikes, it might be me. hehe.gif

SubRosa
QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 3 2013, 10:11 AM) *

I miss Wyrd. sad.gif He must be too busy pwning some new game with an uber toon to hang out with us n00bs anymore... wink.gif
ghastley
I don't think Wrye Bash lets you import from a save file. You can import faces from one mod to another, or create a new player character with an NPC's face, but not the other way round.

I know that direction works, as it's how I played Heidi.
mALX
QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 3 2013, 10:11 AM) *

I'm passing along some info from Wyrd:

Wyrd confirms that he uses Wyre Bash.

It sounds like you select the save or mod you want to use the face in, then Import, Face from the source. Changing race, gender, or cosmetic mods could produce odd results. I have the details saved if anyone is going to go for it. Yikes, it might be me. hehe.gif

If I'm understanding what you said here correctly = Yes, I want the details, lol. And tell Wyrd I said "Hello, and thank you very much!"

mALX
QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 3 2013, 11:28 AM) *

I don't think Wrye Bash lets you import from a save file. You can import faces from one mod to another, or create a new player character with an NPC's face, but not the other way round.

I know that direction works, as it's how I played Heidi.

Would a save game be kind of like a mod where I could create a new mod with this guy as an NPC in it and import the face from the save file?

Oh, and not sure why I'm having CTD every time I try to start a new game, but I removed everything Oblivion/OBMM/OBSE and reinstalled everything from scratch and still CTD every time I try to start a new game. Not sure what is up with that.

Grits
From Wyrd (I added the bold for emphasis.):
It's been a couple of years since I did it, so I'm going on memory here. It requires Wrye Bash. In the Mods tab of Wrye Bash click on your mod's .esp and select Import>Face. Then select the save file that contains the player character's face you want to import.

I seem to recall that there were two caveats. One, the NPC had to be of the same race and sex as the player character. Two, any appearance mods enabled for the player character also had to be enabled when running the NPC mod.

The discussion I remember but can't find was about him putting his old characters and the houses he made for them into the game world as NPCs once their stories were complete. That's exactly what I want to do for my story crew, since they all have their own games now. (And I think also what you want with the handsome Dunmer save, but I've never used one of those so I'm probably missing a critical detail.) Looks like I need to Summon Stones and get Wrye Bash. ohmy.gif

EDIT: D'oh!! Found the comment right here in Chorrol's Skyrim General. I was looking in the wrong site.
QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 12 2013, 10:28 PM) *

I used to do this a lot in Morrowind and Oblivion. After a character's story was over I'd "retire" her as an NPC. I used to make unique houses for all of my characters and after their retirement I'd put them in these houses and they'd putter around their gardens for the rest of eternity.

Some of my characters would visit older character from previous games. I sometimes used this as a way of explaining how a character knew certain facts about the game world that I couldn't otherwise explain: she learned it during a visit to an older character.

I haven't done this in Skyrim yet. But I'm sure I will.

As above this is about Oblivion, though the other thread started regarding how to do it in Skyrim.

mALX
QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 7 2013, 09:13 AM) *

From Wyrd (I added the bold for emphasis.):
It's been a couple of years since I did it, so I'm going on memory here. It requires Wrye Bash. In the Mods tab of Wrye Bash click on your mod's .esp and select Import>Face. Then select the save file that contains the player character's face you want to import.

I seem to recall that there were two caveats. One, the NPC had to be of the same race and sex as the player character. Two, any appearance mods enabled for the player character also had to be enabled when running the NPC mod.

The discussion I remember but can't find was about him putting his old characters and the houses he made for them into the game world as NPCs once their stories were complete. That's exactly what I want to do for my story crew, since they all have their own games now. (And I think also what you want with the handsome Dunmer save, but I've never used one of those so I'm probably missing a critical detail.) Looks like I need to Summon Stones and get Wrye Bash. ohmy.gif

EDIT: D'oh!! Found the comment right here in Chorrol's Skyrim General. I was looking in the wrong site.
QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jun 12 2013, 10:28 PM) *

I used to do this a lot in Morrowind and Oblivion. After a character's story was over I'd "retire" her as an NPC. I used to make unique houses for all of my characters and after their retirement I'd put them in these houses and they'd putter around their gardens for the rest of eternity.

Some of my characters would visit older character from previous games. I sometimes used this as a way of explaining how a character knew certain facts about the game world that I couldn't otherwise explain: she learned it during a visit to an older character.

I haven't done this in Skyrim yet. But I'm sure I will.

As above this is about Oblivion, though the other thread started regarding how to do it in Skyrim.

Thank you, Thank you! Will see what I can do with this!

mirocu
I want Buffy, Niamh and Mooch as followers! sad.gif
Grits
OK, I'm here to report that installing Wrye Bash is now very easy. There's an installer. I got it on the Oblivion Nexus.

Then there are just a few steps to make a file with the face you want so you can copy it to the NPC. I followed the instructions found in the discussion here starting on Post #9.

Good luck! smile.gif
Renee
HOLY [censored] I JUST MADE MY FIRST .ESP. I made a plug-in! smile.gif By accident!

It's very simple, and it doesn't really fit the topic of this thread, but I don't feel like starting a new thread, since I'm such a n00b still. Anyways, I used OB's CK and changed the age & hair color of Candice Corgan (Pell's Gate barkeep) so that she's about 20 years older. She was 42 in the 3rd era, now she's about 64 in Renee's 4th Era game. WHen I went to close the CK, it asked me if I wanted to save, and I notice it was trying to put this save into my Oblivion > Data folder.

WOW. It's an esp. I can click on it! ... Old stuff for some of you all, but this is freekin amazing to me.
SubRosa
Congrats on taking the first step into a larger world. smile.gif
Grits
Yay, congratulations Renee!! Isn’t it exciting to see your idea in the game? I’m grinning like a fiend over your first esp! biggrin.gif

Renee
It's awesome, I'm thinking all sorts of possibilities now that I know the basic process. Time to make a Sharks and Frickin' Laser Beams mod. blink.gif

It's funny too because my very first mod rates at just 1KB. That's where it all starts I guess. What were your first mods?

ghastley
QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Oct 18 2014, 10:48 AM) *

It's awesome, I'm thinking all sorts of possibilities now that I know the basic process. Time to make a Sharks and Frickin' Laser Beams mod. blink.gif

It's funny too because my very first mod rates at just 1KB. That's where it all starts I guess. What were your first mods?

This one - well, just the first quest of it. I wanted to try a bit of everything - meshes, textures, animations, quests, etc. and I'd just found a tutorial on making a mountain lion into a mount. So then I added more riders, with more quests, and a lodge (so I could make an interior cell). About half-way through I started the Gweden Brothel mod, and did both in parallel for some time. Eventually they've merged, in the sense that there's a bridge esp that connects the quest-lines.
Acadian
Very brave of you, Renee!

I've been freely 'tweaking' and adjusting the mods of others for quite sometime. But only within the last month or two did I actually create my own mods from scratch -

1. Better Bosmer - this simply changes all female Bosmer in Skyrim to the small size that I want Buffy to be and tweaks their starting skill bonuses, racial powers etc. The nice thing is that there are so few female Bosmer in the game (beyond generic bandit archers) that Buffy still feels quite unique.

2. Superian tweaks - for some time now, Buffy's been wrestling with SkySuperian being either the black & white paint or palomino. The problem with black horses is the same as in Oblivion - they wash out and the black sort of looks like simply a 'lack of color'. The palomino, by contrast, has very rich detail that really shows on its coat. As Buffy's been changing back and forth, I got tired of getting one horse, then the other. So we just changed the Solitude player palomino to a black and white. The result is: mod checked = black & white / mod unchecked = palomino. If Superian really does go permanently blond, we already have things set up in Oblivion to have ObivSuperian become a blond clydesdale as well.
Grits
My first mod was a staff for Darnand in Oblivion. I managed to break the Skingrad Mages Guild front door. laugh.gif

haute ecole rider
QUOTE(Acadian @ Oct 18 2014, 10:13 AM) *

*snip*
2. Superian tweaks - for some time now, Buffy's been wrestling with SkySuperian being either the black & white paint or palomino. The problem with black horses is the same as in Oblivion - they wash out and the black sort of looks like simply a 'lack of color'. The palomino, by contrast, has very rich detail that really shows on its coat. As Buffy's been changing back and forth, I got tired of getting one horse, then the other. So we just changed the Solitude player palomino to a black and white. The result is: mod checked = black & white / mod unchecked = palomino. If Superian really does go permanently blond, we already have things set up in Oblivion to have ObivSuperian become a blond clydesdale as well.

I have the same problem with the black horses in Skyrim - they tend to be more brown than black. I always found the black horses in Oblivion to be realistic and immersive, especially with Slof's textures. I miss those textures in Skyrim - I really wish Slof would do something like that.

Oh well, if I were unemployed (no! no! not again!) then I would use the time to learn NifSkope and Blender and all that jazz and fix Skyrim's horse textures. Now that I'm volunteering at the local therapeutic riding program, I have access to real live horses once again. I always felt that the shaggy creatures look so unimmersive, but I understand that long fur is difficult to render realistically. But no, I have too many ideas and not enough time. I haven't even cracked the Skyrim CK yet! wacko.gif

It is for that reason that Alise's favorite mount is the Riften grey. It is the best looking horse in all of Skyrim, IMHO. wink.gif
SubRosa
My very first mod wasn't in a Bethesda game, but rather for Rome Total War. I created what eventually turned out to be a rather huge partial conversion mod called Amazon Total War, that changed most of the game world, introduced new Amazon factions, etc...

My first Beth mod was one for Oblivion that made the Restoration skill level up quicker. Learning to use the Construction Set was a steep learning curve for me, as Rome Total War was almost entirely text files. So Notepad was all you needed to do 90% of the modding in that game. Now I am so used to modding the games I play, that it becomes very frustrating when game developers don't give you a modding tool, or otherwise make it easy to do it yourself without one, as RTW did.
Renee
. Learning to use the Construction Set was a steep learning curve for me

I am sure it will be for me too. My first two uses of the CK were just blind luck. Actually, SubRosa, it all began when I read my Modding Crisis thread over. I decided to read it the other day; see how far I've come. There's a post somewhere in there in which you said "just push File, and then Data..." and then included a few other instructions, and that's where I started. I was able to navigate to the place I wanted. Took me a few tries, but I figured what I wanted to do eventually.

1. Better Bosmer - this simply changes all female Bosmer in Skyrim to the small size that I want Buffy to be and tweaks their starting skill bonuses, racial powers etc. The nice thing is that there are so few female Bosmer in the game (beyond generic bandit archers) that Buffy still feels quite unique.

This actually sounds like something I'm going to try to figure next, Acadian. I want to try to modify an entire NPC faction, all at once. I want to make the vampire faction in Oblivion to have sun damage affect them, so NPCs will start smoking and freaking out if they follow one of mine out into daylight. Can't be too hard, or so it seems. All I gotta do is find the faction itself (which I did last night) and then somehow apply the Effect ID for Sun Damage that our chars can take to the NPC faction.

I can't see how to do this yet, and can't find anything in the CK Wiki (so far), but I'll get there. I promised myself a while ago that if I figure it out, I'm going to put this up on Nexus. hehe.gif Hardly anybody will use it, but I don't mind. There are some excellent-looking vampire mods out there, but I haven't found any that include NPC vampire sun-damage. Somebody told me this is included with Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul, but I don't really want to install an entire overhaul just for one effect.

About half-way through I started the Gweden Brothel mod.

I already have this one in a couple of my games. smile.gif I haven't had a character go in that direction yet (to Anvil, that is) but eventually one of mine will.
mALX

SubRosa said:

Okay, I am wanting to do this. Misa is most def this girl:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Ma...zpsfe5bc332.png

BUT: I absolutely LOVED this face I made trying to decide how Misa should look:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Ma...zps302e3c22.png

I'd really like to make her a follower if possible, give her a unique dialogue (NOT Sofia's!) if possible. I have kept the save with her face on it, but then went back to the (first screen) original Misa face - but they both have the same name and ID!

Will I get her face with these settings or get a clone of Misa's current face? Does anyone know?

Grits
You will get the face from the save that’s active when you use the spf command. You name the file when you use the command, so just don’t name them both Misa. In the directions where it says <insert name here> you type in whatever name you want the npc file to have. So if you type SPF BeautifulFollower you’ll get a file called BeautifulFollower.npc in your Skyrim directory regardless of the name on the character’s save file.

mALX
QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 18 2014, 05:53 AM) *

You will get the face from the save that’s active when you use the spf command. You name the file when you use the command, so just don’t name them both Misa. In the directions where it says <insert name here> you type in whatever name you want the npc file to have. So if you type SPF BeautifulFollower you’ll get a file called BeautifulFollower.npc in your Skyrim directory regardless of the name on the character’s save file.

Oh, I thought you were supposed to put in the Player character's name! So even if her name is Misa, I am just naming the file, it is not her name I have to put in? And I can name the file whatever?

Oh, this is great! I really was not wanting to lose her, but she just couldn't be Misa. And I'll make her into an awesome follower, I've been looking up templates for her at Nexus all day!

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 18 2014, 05:53 AM) *

Oh, I thought you were supposed to put in the Player character's name! So even if her name is Misa, I am just naming the file, it is not her name I have to put in? And I can name the file whatever?

Oh, this is great!

By the way, am I supposed to put the little caret marks in when I title the file (<>) ?

Grits
QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 18 2014, 06:10 PM) *

Oh, this is great!

By the way, am I supposed to put the little caret marks in when I title the file (<>) ?

Yep, you can name the file whatever. No caret marks required, just type in the name you want to use.

Enjoy! Making my own followers is my favorite thing to do so far. smile.gif
mALX
QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 18 2014, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 18 2014, 06:10 PM) *

Oh, this is great!

Yep, you can name the file whatever. No caret marks required, just type in the name you want to use.

Enjoy! Making my own followers is my favorite thing to do so far. smile.gif

I can't do it tonight, but as soon as I do I will post screens of Misa and Glam Misa (Hopefully I'll have given her a name by then) together! That will be Awesome!

ghastley
I'm about to need all this to re-create Captain Clarisse as an NPC, so the timing is perfect! smile.gif

There's a screenshot of her new ship, the Red Witch, in the screenshots thread - where else?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.