Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blood on the Moon
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Khajiit_Thief01
Well done once again, Treydog! The conclusion to the previous chapter, and the Interlude that followed it, were superb!

QUOTE(treydog @ May 25 2011, 05:44 PM) *

“I mean, I can understand how some people might think it would be a good match, and I suppose he’s handsome enough, in his way… but, EWWW! I just can’t do it. So, I request sanctuary.”

If there was one thing that DIDN'T sit well with me, though, it was this quote. The "...but, EWWW!" part of it, specifically. I know some people have already mentioned how they liked it, but I personally felt it was out of place for Athynae. Given her own adventures on Solstheim, and the fact that she saved Athlain's life and cured him of his skooma addiction, I viewed her as a very strong woman. The "EWWWW!" part, to me, reeks of a sheltered teenage girl, and so I thought it out-of-character for a person who possesses as strong of a will as Athynae.

Of course, I realize she was most likely saying it in a joking manner. Still, I can't help but feel that the point could have been conveyed just as easily, and perhaps even more strongly, had she just said something along the lines of, "I suppose he's handsome enough, in his way...but, I do not love him. I just can't do it."

Like I said, just my personal outlook on the subject; I know others disagree. And really, it's so minor of a thing that it barely rates a mention at all. Just file that under "food for thought," I suppose.

I can't wait for the next chapter! Bring it on!
treydog
@mALX- The Glenmoril bit is something that is in-game- I plan to add my own “twist” to it.

Oh noes! Exploded squirrel! Of course, that is considered a delicacy in some parts of the American South…..

Boom!

Wull dang! Whut did ya use there, Bubba?

12 gauge double-aught with a full choke.

Ya’ll don’t really like squirrel, do ya?

@Acadian- The Interludes are always fun for me, because they allow me to step out of “first-person” and throw in some things the narrator would not know. And there will be a bit more of that within the body of this chapter, so that we can see more of some other characters and what they are doing. In fact, there will be more of Baria and Athynae- immediately. And Serene is not too far away, either!

@SubRosa- One black armband, coming up! But not just yet. And as to the Glenmoril letter, I plan on drawing upon our conversation many months previous for my take on this bit of the Bloodmoon plot. Your surmise about Athlain’s trials is spot-on- sadly for him, but (I hope) to the benefit of the tale.

@Grits- Please, continue reading at a pace that is enjoyable. I have a plan to catch up on my own reading, including Jerric’s Story. And I am quite happy that I will be able to ingest long passages at a sitting, as opposed to having to wait…

One of the (accidental) themes in this story is how Athlain is surrounded by strong women. Julian most definitely is one of them. As soon as I was bitten by the idea of her appearing at Fort Frostmoth, the entire “Official Inquiry” became absolutely essential to the story.

Garnas, on the other hand, surprised me. He surprised me with the way he came to Athlain’s attention, and with the way he exited the stage. I treasure those surprises- they tell me that I am doing something right.

Athynae’s “explanation” will be elaborated further below, but that scene has been a “picture in my head” for some time. It was a joy to finally get to post it, knowing how much her fans would appreciate the moment.

@Haute- Yes, as Acadian said, “Athynae being, well Athynae.” And, along with watching too much John Ford and Akira Kurosawa, I have imbibed deep from the well of Sir Walter Scott and his heirs. The Glenmoril note will prove to be one of the more significant points of this chapter, assuming I get myself together enough to write those pivotal scenes…. Serene will be as essential to this chapter as Julian was to the previous one. That said, I fully expect one of her most significant scenes will take place in someone else’s story (hint hint).

@Thomas Kaira- That is another reason I enjoy writing the Interludes- they allow me to be cryptic- and give the readers a chance to go back and say “Aha!” as SubRosa did above. And you are quite right, the Great Hunt is about to begin and Athlain will be tested in ways he does not expect.

@Olen- I must admit to rather stealing a page from Rachel the Breton for the “Rules.” I love her chapter-opening quotes from such famous works as “The Sayings of Old, Dead People.”

The question of the “marriage contract” kerfuffle will be resolved in short order, although there will likely be some fallout even so.

I am geographically challenged about Glenmoril, too. In fact, it may not actually be an Elder Scrolls location…. Oops. But, in any event, I plan to use the appearance of a certain group to my own ends. Stay tuned…. Squirrel brains on the ceiling again- get out the Formula 409.

@Athynae- This old doggie is wise enough to know better than to get between a young woman and her mother, especially this particular pair. I believe I will step out the side door and allow the two of you to work it out….

Duke of Dread? ROFL

As for Baria, do try to be nice to her- she is under quite a strain. Her son seems bound and determined to get himself maimed or killed, and she can’t even be sure he is wearing clean undergarments. Meanwhile, her husband seems to suspiciously absent a great deal of the time. And finally, she has the pair of “red tornadoes” to contend with. Well- now plus a third…

The wait is over- at least for this part.

@Minque- Yes, the line about the Duke got me, too. Fortunately, I had set aside my tea. Getting whacked in the back of the skull with a mouthful of beverage is an experience that stays with you….

And I sense a long-delayed mother-daughter conversation in the near future. Having laid the groundwork for it, I believe I will smartly (and also wisely) nip out to take the air. The Gold Coast is nice this time of the year….

@Khajiit_Thief01- Thank you so much. Your criticism of that part is valid, so I will be even more long-winded than I usually am in response.

The reasons for the “EWWW” are several. First, I wrote the scene quite some time ago, and have not changed it in the intervening months- so… inertia. From a narrative point of view, this is a case of Athynae being a bit disingenuous. She is “playing the dumb redhead card” in hopes of fooling Baria. (We will see how well that works shortly.) Finally, it has been my experience that the ONE thing that CAN reduce even the most poised and mature of women to adolescent incoherence is her mother. Although Baria is not Athynae’s mother, she is a surrogate- and Athynae suspects that Serene is in this up to her eyebrows, as well.

All that said, I appreciate the question- it is a valuable reminder to keep in mind who the characters are and how they are likely to act and speak.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 14

Baria felt her heart give a little lurch. She certainly understood that love and attraction were unpredictable, but she had still hoped…. However, Athynae’s words and expression made her wishes rather plain, so best to face it squarely.

"Well- of course, dear. You do not have get married if you don't want to. But- why did you feel the need to come here? And what is this nonsense about “sanctuary?”

Athynae’s mouth set in a determined line. “It isn’t nonsense, Aunt Baria. You know how Mama is once she makes up her mind about something. And besides, it was Athlain’s idea that I come to you.” Her luminous eyes blinked, “Are you saying you will not let me stay? There is nowhere else for me to go…. The mainland I suppose, but Mama would just set the Blades after me, I know she would! And I just will not do it- not even for the honor of House Redoran! I will NOT marry--- HIM!”

Baria’s anger began to rise at the vehemence of that last statement, but she tried to sound reasonable:

“Don’t you think you’re being a little harsh? I know he can be stubborn and difficult, even moody at times. But he does have many good qualities.”

The prospect of marriage to Duke Dren now loomed before Athynae like an open lava pool in the Foyada Mamea. Despite her brave words, she could not defy her parents openly- not if they truly wished for her to do this. She felt her own temper slipping at Baria’s apparent betrayal; Athlain’s mother had been her last hope.

“Well, so does a pack-guar, but I wouldn’t want to marry one!”

“Now that is enough, young lady! You have made your wishes quite clear; there is no need to be insulting! And besides, how does it look? You chased after him without a word to anyone, helped him in his greatest need, and now- you decide you do not care for him any longer?”

The half-elven girl was completely lost. What was Aunt Baria talking about? Helped? Chased after…?

WHAT? Chased after who? I most certainly did not!” Her cheeks colored at the idea. “When I went to Ebonheart, it was to find out about Carnius Magius and his schemes.”

Baria felt the ground shifting beneath her and she reached blindly for a chair, hurrying to sit down before she collapsed. “Ebonheart? What does Ebonheart have to do with anything? Who do you think I mean?”

“Duke Dren, of course. He lives in Ebonheart.” Athynae folded her arms and looked at Baria suspiciously. “Who did you think I meant?”

The older woman was on the verge of hysterical laughter- or a truly monumental display of temper. She touched her hair, an unconscious habit she had developed to remind herself to keep her anger in check. “Why- Athlain! The two of you were traipsing all over Solstheim- unchaperoned- and telling people you were betrothed. What were we supposed to do? Serene and I thought that a marriage contract was the best way to protect you!"

If her words were intended to soothe, they failed- rather spectacularly, somewhat in the manner of attempting to quench a fire with naptha. Athynae was speechless for just a moment, but only because she could not decide which of those statements made her more furious. When she found her voice, it was probably heard all the way to Ald’ruhn.

“I DON"T WANT ANYONE TO ‘PROTECT’ ME! That was why I left home in the first place! And Mama was in on this, too?”

The stricken look on Baria’s face was enough to get Athynae to moderate her tone. “And besides- we didn’t DO anything! The only reason we- all right, I- said we were betrothed was because the Skaal know me- and Mama. I knew they would get word back to her just as soon as they could! And I knew she would interfere- which she did!”

Hot tears burned down her cheeks and she angrily wiped them away. “We were doing just fine ‘protecting’ ourselves where we were. But I knew Mama would not leave me alone- and then I saw those notes on the clerk’s desk about a marriage contract…. With my name and the Duke’s name and the word “agreed.” So- I thought….”

Sensing an advantage at last, Baria pounced: “When you saw what notes? How did you happen to be in a position to see papers in Duke Dren’s office? And- I cannot believe you would think that we were just worried about your… reputation.”

She snorted and waved a dismissive hand at the idea. She decided to avoid the accusation about “interfering” for the moment; it struck a bit close to home. “Athynae, you cannot play games with politics. If you try, things may turn out far differently than you desire.”

Athynae was not ready to concede what she felt was her hold on the moral high ground. But the conversation was going in unexpected directions, so she tried to rally by pretending ignorance.

“Politics? What does that have to do with anything?”

The look Baria gave her in return indicated she was not impressed:

"Athynae Sarethi, batting your eyes like that probably works on Athlain, but it won’t work on me. I know you are smarter than that! You know who your mother is. And who Athlain's father is. And what that all means.”

“So? What difference does that make? We were just fine where we were.” A dangerous light came into Athynae’s eyes and she demanded: “Exactly how much do you think I know? All I know is what I have been told. And that isn't the whole story- is it, Aunt Baria?”

Shaking her head sadly, Baria replied quietly, “I am sending for Serene- she needs to sort this out. It is time she told you some things. I do wish she had not chosen this week to visit the Ahemussa.”

“What can she tell me that will change anything? All I know is- the two of you had no right to interfere! Why am I even surprised? Our mothers- trying to control things, because you still think you know what’s best for us. And neither one of you thinking to ask us how we felt. He left and then so did I. And this,” she waved her hand angrily to indicate the whole situation, “This is why!”

“You are our children and a mother always has the right to ‘interfere,’ as you put it. We earned that right when we gave birth to you. But it is for Serene to decide what she will tell you. Those were- unsettled times.”

A haunted look came to Baria’s face, and Athynae remembered the stories of the Blight and the battle at Red Mountain. It was hard sometimes, remembering that Trey- and her own mother- had been in the middle of those events. She took the chair opposite and her voice was quiet but firm:

“I don't know what to say, Aunt Baria. I simply do not understand why you felt the need to meddle in this. It is true Athlain was in trouble when I found him, but I fixed that. Then, he got himself into another bad spot, but I took care of that, too. And, if Mama had not insisted on getting inside of my mind, I would have gone on taking care of him. But now, who knows what he might do?”

Baria's temper faded as quickly as it had flared. She smiled sadly and said, "We had always hoped the two of you would ….” Shaking off the thought, she conceded, “I know a thing or two about arranged marriages. I should not have done that to you. My first husband's family.... Never mind. That is a story for another day.”

Athynae’s eyes widened- this was news to her, “First husband?”

"It was a long time ago, in Cyrodiil. It was a ‘political’ marriage. It was a mistake. And he is dead and I am here.” Her tone clearly indicated that the subject was closed.

“In that case, you certainly should not have done it to me. Now Athlain and I will look like fools to all of Vvardenfell.”

“Why is that, dear? It seems to me that it was rather romantic. And we did not involve anyone except the Duke."

A sudden thought came to Athynae and she choked out, “Athlain still doesn’t know this was all a ruse! What if he does something stupid? You know how he is!”

Green eyes met lavender eyes, and two faces turned pale.
haute ecole rider
blink.gif blink.gif

Uh oh. ohmy.gif

Does this mean the cacat is about to hit the ceiling oscillator? Quick, grab your yellow slickers! Don't forget the nor'easter hats! And the big rubber boots!
laugh.gif
Athynae
Well now isn't this just a fine mess? First I seek sanctuary for a betrothal that isn't, Athlain is probably in the middle of something just as stupid or worse, and now Mother is coming. As much as I want to see her I am, well, quite perturbed with her and Aunt Baria for snooping in things that were none of their concern. And I am afraid that some of my stories from Solsteim have set the sisters on their ear....

HHMM? I'm glad you are on your way Mother, I am anxious to hear what you have to say about all of this...and the rest of the story.

A
SubRosa
So it finally came out. I have been wondering how long you would be able to keep up the He Said/She Said of Athynae thinking that she was betrothed to the Duke, when it was really to Athlain. It was most hilariously done, as such scenes always are.

But under the humor, you also did an excellent job of showing us the frustration and rage that overprotected children trying to become adults feel toward the parents looming over them. So far we have only seen that with Athlain, as he struggles to emerge from the shadow of - dum dum dum -Father. Now we get a delightful (well I am certainly she does not think of it that way) view of Athynae feeling the same way toward - dum da dum dum - Mama.

nits:
You made the dreading head-hopping mistake in shifting your pov characters in the middle of a scene. This scene begins with us firmly in Baria's head, as she is pondering over how she had hoped Athynae would marry her son, and gets mad over her disgust at him. Then we are in Athynae's head as the dread of marrying the Duke looms over her.
Acadian
Finally!!! A full measure of Athynae! Yay!

“Well, so does a pack-guar, but I wouldn’t want to marry one!” tongue.gif

"Athynae Sarethi, batting your eyes like that probably works on Athlain, but it won’t work on me.' wub.gif

'A sudden thought came to Athynae and she choked out, “Athlain still doesn’t know this was all a ruse! What if he does something stupid? You know as well as anyone how he is!”
Green eyes met lavender eyes, and two faces turned pale. '
ohmy.gif

*contented sigh* happy.gif
Captain Hammer
So Athynae learns she's NOT getting married off to Duke Dread (formerly a Judge, returning soon to theaters!).

OTOH, she does realize that Athlain is still in Solstheim, being, well, Athlain. Definitely important that she prevent too much chaos from erupting due to [i[that[/i]. Who knows what his actions could unleash? Next thing you know, one of the Daedric Princes might decide to start hunting down mortals, or another might *gulp* try to invade Tamriel!

You are our children and a mother always has the right to ‘interfere,’ as you put it. We earned that right when we gave birth to you.

Not to mention diapers, 'artwork' on the wall, long nights of intermittent crying and feeding, etc.

Great start to a new chapter, Trey. Hopefully some open communication between parties, and a prescription for "Extra Strength (800mg) of Common Sense" from Dr. Fyr will help Athlain out of some of his messier predicaments. Seems like he's already had a few doses in smaller measure provided to him, but nothing is quite like meeting an eccentric Telvanni Mage-Lord studying corpus while wearing a full suit of Daedric Armor.
Olen
As has been said there were quite a few level to this part and it was most enjoyable.

There was the 'he' mix-up which was entertainingly farsical and went on about as long as possible but under it things got a good bit deeper.

“I DON"T WANT ANYONE TO ‘PROTECT’ ME! That was why I left home in the first place! And Mama was in on this, too?”

As SubRosa said you caught the clustrophobic resentment which can build when certain family personalities are kept together too long. The whole piece is almost based on Athlain's anger and need to escape his father's shadow. Yes he will mature and grow up (indeed he has) but equally that won't change the fact that running away was exactly the right thing to do (and I suspect he still knows this and draws strength from it). Athynae isn't so different, the meddling of them annoys her, but you also catch Baria's (and presumably Serene's) perspective of trying to protect their children from making mistakes.

That's where I think I saw another point being made. Their coddling and over protection has a large part in the current problems and has been fairly disasterous. By preventing their children making mistakes there have been fewer to learn from and they are certainly not blameless in the current problems. It's certainly not just any immaturity on the younger generation which is to blame.

I suspect someone might be dispatched to Solstheim with a letter, I can think of a few candidates.
minque
OMG....OMG...Yes Athynae, Serene is on her way, but it will take a few days for her to arrive, first she has to finish her business with the Ahemussa, then she has to prepare herself to meet that tornado of a daughter.

This was awesome ,but I'm worried about Athlain...he's bound to get himself into trouble again I just know it!

Well the funny thing is that this is just so coincidental...Serene is on a business trip to Ahemussa...me I'm going on a business trip tomorrow, but after that I'll ...hmm yeah you'll see!
Athynae
Tornado of her daughter, huh? WELL....she is YOUR daughter after all, what else would she be but a tornado???
I can hardly wait to see you Mother, although there are many things to discuss, I have missed you terribly and as hard as it is to admit, I need you. Safe journey and return soon.

A
Khajiit_Thief01
Expertly written, Treydog! The back-and-forth between the two women was extremely realistic, and served to further my immersion into the story. Well done!

I shudder to think what is going through their minds at the thought of what trouble Athlain might be getting himself into over this whole mix-up. Athlain has greatly matured in the time since Athynae's departure, though, and so I am not worried at the mix-up...I'm more worried about the troubles that are just over the horizon.
mALX

A sudden thought came to Athynae and she choked out, “Athlain still doesn’t know this was all a ruse! What if he does something stupid? You know how he is!”

What an ending to that chapter! Now that is a cliffhanger that crept up on me, I was not expecting that at all! Awesome Write !!!!
Grits
“I don't know what to say, Aunt Baria. I simply do not understand why you felt the need to meddle in this. It is true Athlain was in trouble when I found him, but I fixed that. Then, he got himself into another bad spot, but I took care of that, too. And, if Mama had not insisted on getting inside of my mind, I would have gone on taking care of him. But now, who knows what he might do?”

Oh my goodness, this is priceless. The mothers shouldn’t have meddled; Athynae was doing just fine meddling by herself!

I’m sure Athynae and Baria will never agree on whether the mothers were protecting or controlling, but it seems that their common ground of what to do about Athlain will at least change the subject.

treydog
@haute- Things will certainly get- interesting- at least for a little while.

@Athynae- Athlain and stupid go together rather like- peanut butter and jelly. And mothers will always reserve the right to “snoop,” especially if they have children like those two.

@SubRosa- Yes, that bit of misunderstanding had pretty well run its course- except for this post and the next one… And I read too many of those “comedy of errors” plays in HS and the university- it obviously affected my brain. And the parallel of children who have been raised to be strong and yet also somewhat overprotected was unintentional- but it is certainly there. The POV shifts… those were intentional, as I hoped to show what both were thinking. It may be that the intent was not worth breaking the flow of the narrative. I will ponder it.

@Acadian- Yes, I allowed her to languish too long as only an occasional thought or memory. She deserves to have the stage to herself- or with her bumbling beau. And the lines you quote show her wit, her temper, and her quicksilver mind.

@Captain Hammer- Yes, I believe Athynae’s more recent experience with Athlain’s ability to find trouble without even looking for it is quite relevant. And those pesky Daedric princes probably ARE up to something, again. Hard to say about Divayth Fyr… His solution (which Baria would likely applaud) might be to lock Athlain up for 20 years or so.

@Olen- Once more, you find the heart of the “undercurrents.” Beneath the humor (and the yelling) there are some problems that need to be sorted. An important side note- in the TNG (Trey: Next Generation) universe, Athynae Sarethi was the FIRST child born on Vvardenfell following the end of the Blight. Athlain was the second. Because of that- and because of who their respective parents are, they have been rather more protected and spoiled and coddled than children are under other circumstances.

Someone is making a trip… but- well, see the post below.

@minque- I predict a Nirn-shaking, but productive, reunion when Serene reaches Indarys Manor. And yes, Athlain is quite adept at finding trouble, especially now that his self-appointed guardian half-elven princess has gone home.

@Khajiit_Thief01- My thanks. The Baria-Athynae scene was a fun one to write, as they “talk past each other.” And of course, the fact that the “resolution” angers Athynae even more than the misunderstanding… Unfortunately, Athlain’s new sense of responsibility is still coupled with his uncanny knack for making mistakes, as will be seen shortly. And yes, the more serious issues are also approaching rapidly.

@mALX- I have to keep my cliff-hanging skills honed…. And their eyes widening and meeting like that was one of those “pictures in my head” that I knew HAD to be included.

@Grits- Yes, you have captured Athynae’s essence: “Why did you insist on meddling when I was doing just fine meddling by myself?”

And I think Serene’s arrival will rather change the shape of the argument- at least as far as Baria is concerned. However, true to her red-headed nature, she will probably not “fade into the background.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was able to return to the colony, I was relieved to see that none of the miners or other residents had taken any serious hurt. However, Afer Flaccus mentioned that Apronia Alfena seemed to be missing. We investigated and found an empty house. Empty of any living person, it should be said. Most of her clothes were still in the closets and chests, but there was no sign of Mistress Alfena herself until Afer lifted a sealed parchment from the dining table. He raised it to his nose to inhale the scent and then offered it to me, saying:

“Has your name on it.”

When I broke the seal, the message, written in an elegant hand, rather deepened the mystery.

CODE
Thank you for carrying my parcels and for- “rescuing” me.  Forgive me for leaving so abruptly.  However, business calls me elsewhere. You have won, Athlain- this time.  But should you ever come to Cyrodiil, have a care.  Carnius was a fool.  I am not.
                                    A. A.

Carnius’ schemes had died with him; Constans Atrius was recalled to the main office for some detailed- and I hoped painful- questioning. A representative of the Company arrived and tried to convince me to take over in the unlamented Carnius’ place, but I refused. First, I did not have time to run the colony. Second and perhaps more significant, my first and only act as Factor would have been to order the spoil and debris be returned to the ground from which it had been extracted. I doubted that would meet with the Directors’ approval.

In the end, it did not matter. The ebony soon ran out, but Falco was able to use his connections with the Skaal to develop a new market. He began a trade in horker ivory and fine furs, which soon became luxury items on the mainland. His business sense coincided with the Skaal concept of only taking a small amount in a given season, which kept the prices high. The population of the colony shrank, with only a few hardy souls staying on. Afer and Gratian were among them- they remained with Falco for the rest of their days.

As for me, my duties to the Company were at an end; but other responsibilities still weighed upon me. At first, I turned my eyes north, toward the Skaal village, where I must resume Heart-Fang’s testing. But then, a different thought occurred to me. Korst had told me that I must resolve all that was unsettled in my soul before I could complete the Skaal ceremonies. And there was one ache that troubled me above all others. So, I took ship from Raven Rock to Khuul. And from Khuul, I traveled down the coast of Vvardenfell, to Ebonheart.

The squared stones and cobbled streets of the port were a reminder that I was no longer on the frontier and that what might be acceptable on Solstheim would not pass muster here. Even so, I believed that protocol was on my side as I bypassed the East Empire Company office and marched toward the Grand Council Chambers. Pausing before the heavy wooden doors, I made sure everything was in place and then stepped inside.

I ignored the various functionaries and officials and petitioners; for their part, they certainly noticed me, but did not bar my way. In fact, a number of them made haste to clear a path through the reception area to the main stairs. Maintaining a steady pace, I mounted the steps to a second floor hallway. At a turning, I saw the person I sought- Duke Vedam Dren. He was a magnificent figure in his gold-inlayed ebony armor, still youthful and fit, despite his age. An aura of power seemed to swirl about the Dunmer, but I would nevertheless speak my words to him.

Holding my gaze steadily at a point just beyond the Duke’s left shoulder, I strode down the hall. The guards saw me and drew their swords, preparing to bar my approach. The Duke raised a single finger to quell them and they sheathed their weapons. I stopped a precise distance from the highest noble on Vvardenfell, who gave me an appraising stare and inquired:

“Yes, citizen?”

I placed my right hand on my mace, but did not draw it as I replied:

“Duke Vedam Dren, my name is Athlain Treyson. As is my right and my duty, I hereby challenge you to a duel.”

The silence stretched, broken at last by a chuckle from one of the guards. He made as if to take my arm- obviously having decided I was a lunatic. But the Duke again made that stilling gesture. His eyes never left my face as he indicated the black ribbon I wore on my arm.

“No. This one is serious. I will hear what he has to say. And then- well, then we shall see.”

Baria, the lady of Indarys Manor and wife of Trey, paused outside the doorway of her elder daughter’s room. The three girls, her own and Athynae Sarethi, had been in there for some time. Even though the whole business about “sanctuary” had been dealt with, their guest seemed in no hurry to leave. The "discussion" had been difficult, as had the talk with Serene. And so, for a variety of reasons, Athynae remained here. Baria did not mind- the young woman was a delight- when she had her temper under control. And her stories of Athlain helped ease the ache in a mother’s heart. She also appeared to be having a good effect on Maesa and Caia. In fact, when Baria tapped on the door and entered the room, she saw that the desk was covered with parchment and quills. That was- amazing. She loved her girls, but they generally approached schoolwork with the attitude of a condemned prisoner nearing the gallows.

The truth was, Baria’s decision to check on the three had been prompted by the rather prolonged silence from that quarter. In her experience, quiet children were either ill or getting into mischief. But, as three red-haired heads turned to look at her, all she saw were eyes bright with excitement and smiles that she could not quite decipher. Knowing that questions would only yield vague and unlikely answers, she simply smiled in return and said, “Don’t let me interrupt. Supper will be ready in an hour.”

She stepped back out and closed the door behind her, pausing for a moment to thank the Nine for bringing Athynae here. Her smile faltered just a bit when she heard Athynae murmur something inaudible, then a muffled giggle followed by Mae’s voice querying:

“He said WHAT?”

Which question was immediately answered by another murmur and Cai’s insistent direction:

“Write it down! Write it down! That’s perfect!”

Silence returned, punctuated by more giggling. Baria closed her eyes tightly, shook her head, and said a silent prayer for her only son. Whatever he might face on Solstheim was nothing compared to what awaited him when he got home.
haute ecole rider
So now the comedy of errors heads off in another direction, this time between Athlain and Duke Dren! How quickly will this get resolved? Oh, I have no doubt it will be resolved, but the means has me a little concerned.

And this:
She stepped back out and closed the door behind her, pausing for a moment to thank the Nine for bringing Athynae here. Her smile faltered just a bit when she heard Athynae murmur something inaudible, then a muffled giggle followed by Mae’s voice querying:

“He said WHAT?”

Which question was immediately answered by another murmur and Cai’s insistent direction:

“Write it down! Write it down! That’s perfect!”

Silence returned, punctuated by more giggling. Baria closed her eyes tightly, shook her head, and said a silent prayer for her only son. Whatever he might face on Solstheim was nothing compared to what awaited him when he got home.
OMG! Poor Athlain! He'll never live it down when he gets home! Those evil girls might just drive him back to Solstheim in stubborn bachelorhood status! :facepalm:
Burnt Sierra
QUOTE(treydog @ May 27 2011, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(treydog @ Jun 3 2011, 12:26 PM) *

“Duke Vedam Dren, my name is Athlain Treyson. As is my right and my duty, I hereby challenge you to a duel.”

And now we know. Oh, it's just as well he took the ship down the coast, hopefully it will have left time for people to second guess what his unique sense of honour would compell him to do. And of course:

QUOTE(treydog @ Jun 3 2011, 12:26 PM) *

Even though the whole business about “sanctuary” had been dealt with, their guest seemed in no hurry to leave. The "discussion" had been difficult, as had the talk with Serene.

Well. Serene is involved now. If ever someone could smooth over brash and impulsive ideas...

And let's not forget:

QUOTE(treydog @ May 27 2011, 07:57 PM) *

“Why is that, dear? It seems to me that it was rather romantic. And we did not involve anyone except the Duke."

Sorry for pulling so many quotes out, but it's like a puzzle smile.gif Checking back, trying to infer meaning from comments made previously. Like all the best mysteries.

Have I mentioned before how much I love this story? tongue.gif

Only thing I'm a little unsure about. How could the Duke be challenged to a duel by a citizen? Surely anybody wanting to build a reputation for themselves or the local unhinged lunatic or anyone with a political agenda could therefore challenge him? Unless Athlain has got it wrong of course. After all, he does say he "believes" protocol is on his side...

Hmm.

Cruelty, thy name is cliffhanger.
Grits
Baria certainly has a mother’s wisdom. It is a joy to get a peek into her mind. smile.gif

As for Athlain… oh, dear. I’m afraid whatever he says next will haunt him for the rest of his days. There are a lot of guards standing around already snickering. It seems that the Duke has a cool head though, so as he said, we shall see.
minque
Athlain! For Nirns sake...BEWARE of the Duke! Hmmm but,,,he wasn't all that bad was he? Well I really need to talk some sense into you, perhaps I'll come after you dear boy or future son-in-law

regards

Serene

PS Journal in progress! Bear with me!
Doommeister
Hey Treydog im trying hard to catch up.

Your work has had me laughing, crying, angry, all the emotions. you write so powerfully its amazing.

Keep up the good work biggrin.gif
mALX
Oh NO !!! Athlain ... NOOOOOOO !!! GAAAAAH !!! I hope it gets settled without the duel, Athynae won't be there to rescue him from this one !!! GAAAAH !!! ARGH !!! Great Write !!!
Black Hand
Just caught up.

Wish I could take snippets of all my favorite quotes and the like, but that would take hours.

Well done sir, your crown as king of the FanFic Forum is well earned!
Doommeister
Just caught up, and its all I have come to expect from you.

Therefore, all I have left to say is,

S.G.N.M (so. good. need. more)
Olen
Well I just re-read that part, there's certainly a lot there. An end to his involvement with the EEC it appears. Then a delay to his rescuing Carius while he sorts out personal matters, this is certainly headed for quite a climax.

The last bit in Indarys manor is tantalising too, almost like one of the interludes has crept into a chapter. What's going on there. Perhaps just what it seems, but I suspect more.

The first bit does raise one question - it's been a while since the fort was attacked which makes me wonder if Athlain has decided on the likely outcome and so is focussing on his surviving the search for Carius rather than running blindly in to rescue him. As far as I recall there's been no evidence either way.

I also have one slight nit with the paragraph: In the end, it did not matter. The ebony soon ran out, but <snip>for the rest of their days. I found its tone was rather retrospective, almost like an epilogue (which it sort of is to that side of the story). This broke the immediacy and flow for me by reaching into events in the far future from those current and damaged the tenson a little. It is just my opinion though and seeing as no one else has picked up on it is probably just me.
SubRosa
So Apronia was the spider in the web all along, not Carnius? Now that is an interesting twist on not only her, but this entire questline. To be honest, it never made any sense to me that Carnius would want to sabotage his own enterprise. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. But if he was only a puppet dancing to someone else's strings - someone who perhaps had a big stake in raw ebony mining elsewhere and did not want competition - then it all makes sense. That is of course assuming that Apronia herself is not simply an agent of that other party, which seems most likely.

Your summation of the colony's fate was likewise very thoughtful and unique. Perhaps you might add Stahlrim to the list of Solstheim rarities that Falco exports?

Oh boy! This just had to happen, did it not? biggrin.gif Here we see the payoff for the knowledge you gave us of the black armband a few segments ago.

nits:
When I was able to return to {the} colony
Looks like some sneaky Skaal hunter made off with your the above.

Baria, the lady of Indarys Manor and wife of Trey, paused outside the doorway of her elder daughter’s room. The three girls, her own and Athynae Sarethi, had been in there for some time. Even though the whole business about “sanctuary” had been dealt with, their guest seemed in no hurry to leave. The "discussion" had been difficult, as had the talk with Serene. And so, for a variety of reasons, Athynae remained here. Baria did not mind- the young woman was a delight- when she had her temper under control. And her stories of Athlain helped ease the ache in a mother’s heart. She also appeared to be having a good effect on Maesa and Caia. In fact, when Baria tapped on the door and entered the room, she saw that the desk was covered with parchment and quills. That was- amazing. She loved her girls, but they generally approached schoolwork with the attitude of a condemned prisoner nearing the gallows.
The truth was, Baria’s decision to check on the three had been prompted by the rather prolonged silence from that quarter. In her experience, quiet children were either ill or getting into mischief. But, as three red-haired heads turned to look at her, all she saw were eyes bright with excitement and smiles that she could not quite decipher. Knowing that questions would only yield vague and unlikely answers, she simply smiled in return and said,

These two paragraphs have run together. Looks like the forum ate the space between them.

The truth was, Baria’s decision to check on the three had been prompted by the rather prolonged silence from that quarter. In her experience, quiet children were either ill or getting into mischief. But, as three red-haired heads turned to look at her, all she saw were eyes bright with excitement and smiles that she could not quite decipher. Knowing that questions would only yield vague and unlikely answers, she simply smiled in return and said,

“Don’t let me interrupt. Supper will be ready in an hour.”

Then right afterward it looks like this was meant to be a single paragraph, but a manual line break got put in before the dialogue.

Thomas Kaira
Oh, dear. I get the feeling that this business between the Duke and Athlain is either not going to end well, or someone is going to walk away a very embarrassed man.

Gee... I wonder what Athynae is gossiping about? biggrin.gif

And a very unique twist on the end of the Raven Rock fiasco. Ulterior motives sure are fun, aren't they?
Athynae
biggrin.gif Three redheads in a room together with the door shut is definitely a recipe for disaster, oh wait, I mean excellent planning. HEHE. I hope for Baria and Trey's sake I don't corrupt Athlain's sisters too much with my stories of their brother.

Mother, I am waiting as patiently as I can stand, you can go after Athlain later to "talk some sense" into him, that is if I don't get to him first, may have to be a repeat of the "hurt him and heal him" scenario from the "moonsugar" cabin.

Great job Trey, it just keeps getting better!!!

A
treydog
@haute- Resolution on the way…. Of course, Mae and Cai have never forgiven him for “running off to join the Legon.” Especially since he seems incapable of writing home to tell them of his adventures. I have a final bit of “revenge” planned for the very end of the story- but that would be telling.

@Burnt Sierra- An answer to your question first- Athlain is effectively a “noble” by virtue of his birth. Beyond that- he could lean on his rank in the Legion. But- you are correct, not just anyone would have the right to challenge the Duke of Dread.

Serene is, I imagine, working through some difficulties of her own- mothers and daughters and all of that. And yes, I just HAD to cliff-hanger it.

@Grits- By the way, Jerric’s Story is now loaded on my Kindle- and that should mean reading (and commenting) will improve soon. Baria is a composite of my own mother, plus Mrs. Treydog, plus a number of other “wise women” I have been privileged to know. And the Duke will have a bomb to drop- as will be seen shortly.

@minque- Even though the Duke is Hlaalu and his brother is- well, who he is- he DOES have some wisdom and humor. He would certainly know that dueling- and possibly killing- Trey’s only son would be a VERY BAD IDEA. ™ And we anxiously await the newest entries in Serene’s journal.

@Doommeister- Welcome! Many thanks for reading and for commenting. And your request for more is granted.

@mALX- Why do I think Athlain’s impulsiveness comes from hanging around with so many redheads? And I have plans to bring Athynae back to center stage sooner rather than later.

@Black Hand- My blushes- and my gratitude for your continued support. More than that- I am SO pleased to see new Sethyas posts going up.

@Olen- Athlain will address the passage of time- it IS a concern to him, as well. And I think your comment about the retrospective nature of that one sentence is well-taken. Leaving out the part about Afer and Gratian staying with Falco would not do any violence to the overall feel.

@SubRosa- Apronia is one of those mysteries that is never answered in-game. We are never given any reason for her to be on the ship, or for staying in Raven Rock. Perhaps we are supposed to assume she is a “professional woman,” and Bethsoft decided not to be explicit for fear of raising the ESRB rating. Or maybe they intended to do more with her and simply forgot or ran out of time. In any event, I decided she was perfect for tying up the question of where Carnius was getting his information. As to the sabotage- basically, he was interested in stahlrim and wanted to make the ebony mine economically unfeasible. Only reason Falco did not export stahlrim is because of Athlain’s objections.

The challenge has been in my mind ever since I decided to give Athynae more than a cameo. It fits Athlain’s romantic notions, which he will deny having, of course.

Nits noted and fixed.

@Thomas Kaira- The challenge will be resolved shortly. And the “pay-off” of the gossip session will be seen at the very end of the story. And I had a lot of fun giving Apronia more of a role.

@Athynae- Athlain would believe (in his innocence) that Athynae is a GOOD influence on his sisters. But stories of adventures can be like ripples in a pond- they spread outward for quite a distance. As to “hurting and healing”- hmmm. Best to just stay quiet on that for the moment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Duke’s face was impassive as he looked at me, and I suddenly remembered he had once been Archmaster of House Hlaalu. No one was likely to win a staring contest with that particular dark elf. Finally, he spoke again and I detected a hint of irony in his voice:

“Before we begin this duel, might I know in what manner I have given offense?”

I had been so prepared for the ritual of challenge and acceptance that his calm question took me aback. Throughout the rain-swept voyage from Solstheim, my mind had been consumed with saving Athynae from an unwanted marriage. If I lost my life in the process… well, that was the part I had not quite worked out yet. As my father was fond of saying- “One thing at a time.”

Meanwhile, he had asked me a question and all eyes were upon me, awaiting my response. I licked dry lips and stammered:

“It… it is in regard to Mistress Athynae Sarethi and her proposed marriage.” With an effort, I controlled my voice and spoke more forcefully, “I must object most strongly, and am prepared to defend my right by trial of arms.”

That was much better and I was able to raise my chin defiantly. As long as I stayed with the formal language of the noble challenge, I was less likely to think about the consequences- such as my dead, bleeding body lying on the sands of the Arena.

My mood was not improved by the slight smile that appeared on the Duke’s face as he turned to a functionary standing by with a sheaf of papers. He murmured a few words I could not hear behind his hand and waited as the bureaucrat sorted through his parchments. The assistant found what he sought and pointed to something that caused Duke Dren to nod thoughtfully. At last, he turned back to me with an unreadable gleam in his eyes.

“I see. Yes, I certainly acknowledge your interest and standing in this matter.”

His expression grew solemn and I waited for him to accept my challenge and name the time, manner, and place. Instead, he clasped his hands behind his back and rocked on his heels as he peered at me.

“In any event, I see no need for a duel to resolve this question. Her family, being Redoran, may feel differently of course. But that is for them to decide.”

I blinked at him in confusion before seeking clarification: “Then the marriage will not take place? And you have no objections?” It could not possibly be this easy.

He waved an impatient hand, as if dismissing my questions- and me.

“From all I have heard, she is a fine young woman. Still, if you do not wish to marry the girl, it is hardly my place to object.”

If I did not wish…? What did he mean? I was not the one who…. No. I was NOT the one who had seen the papers in the clerk’s office and misinterpreted their meaning.

My mind went from confusion to paralysis and I gaped like a beached slaughterfish. My mouth worked, but nothing came out of it except a rather pathetic wheeze. The Duke’s words had struck me like a hammer blow- and for a number of reasons, each of which spawned still more questions. First- there had never been any intent to “marry her off”- at least not to the Duke? Surely she knew that by now? And if so, where was she? Of course, it was wonderful news- except for the fact that Serene and my own mother had conspired to get me married! And they had not even asked! What if I didn’t want to get married? Indignation warred with joy inside me, and it must have shown, for the Duke’s face broke into a genuine smile at last.

“I can see you have much to consider. If there was nothing else? I do hope honor is satisfied?”

His final words brought me abruptly back to my own precarious situation. I had just challenged the most powerful person on Vvardenfell- to a duel? Over a misunderstanding? In public? Even in my mind, I could hear my voice squeak on the last word. I quickly muttered a strangled retraction and pronounced myself willing to drop the challenge, then bowed perfunctorily and left as fast as I could without actually running.

But it would not matter; no matter how fast I moved, I would not outrun this story. Soon the entire island would know about my blunder- and my betrothal. Oh gods. The news would certainly reach Athynae before I could. It would be on every street, in every corner club and kitchen. And the story would grow in the telling. Only Azura could guess what sort of garbled version Athynae would get. And it would not matter how she felt about marrying me- a question that I still considered very much in doubt. No- she would decide, with that unfathomable feminine logic, that I had “Wronged” her. Because I had not “Asked,” and she had to hear it from “Some Stranger.” I could hear the capital letters. Akavir was looking better all the time. Perhaps the Tsaesci would eat me… after roasting me over a slow fire.

But when I left Ebonheart, I did not go to Akavir- nor did I go to my home. Perhaps Athynae was waiting for me there, but I had not been released from my Legion responsibilities. My commander was still missing- it was still my duty to find him. With the misunderstanding about the “marriage contract” resolved, Athynea was safe. She could stay with Mother and (I shuddered at the thought) my sisters- or she could return to her own home and family. Those were luxuries I did not yet have, so I turned my thoughts further north than Ald’ruhn.

And besides, it seemed wise to give the initial storm over the “marriage” time to pass. Three or four years should be sufficient. If I waited that long, there was a remote possibility I would survive my next encounter with Athynae. Perhaps. Still, for the first time in many weeks, my path appeared simple and direct- go the Skaal, complete Heart-Fang’s tests, and find Captain Carius. The words “what could possibly go wrong” came to my mind, but I wisely left them unspoken. Unfortunately, there are forces that listen without ears for ill-considered thoughts- even those that are unvoiced.

The initial stages of the journey were as easy as I had hoped; silt strider service from Vivec to Khuul and the ship back to Fort Frostmoth. Although the Captain’s absence was still a source of worry, Gaea Artoria had grown into the role of de facto commander and things had settled a bit. Even though she still claimed that she “wanted to go back to just being a simple soldier,” leadership suited her and the troops trusted her judgment.

The same qualities that had kept her in the Legion for over 30 years allowed her to maintain order at Fort Frostmoth. The attack could have caused the troops to fall apart- but with a steady hand on the helm, they came together as a unit. That state of affairs would not last indefinitely, though. Someone or something had attacked them and taken their commander. Uncertainty was the enemy, especially for men and women who were accustomed to thinking in- direct ways. “See the problem, stick the problem with sharp pointy things until it stops being a problem, move on.” That was not completely fair; Pilus Prior Julian, for example, had shown that flexibility was possible, even within the rigid structure of Legion regulations. Somehow, though, I had the idea that she was exceptional rather than typical. In any event, I stayed just long enough to assemble my gear and assure everyone that I hoped to find the Captain soon.
Black Hand
"Sethyas Velas was a Dunmer Retainer of the House Redoran, some rumored that he was the New Grandmaster of the Morag Tong, point being he was a serious son of a guar from a race of serious sons of guars, in two Factions that were composed of serious sons of guars, and not known for much beyond a neutral expression. So when he gave Athlain a half-smile the next time he saw him, you knew something was tickling him but good."
Olen
“See the problem, stick the problem with sharp pointy things until it stops being a problem, move on.”

biggrin.gif Sound logic. It follows his breif moment of clarity (finish the last job which is conveniantly disant from Indarys manner...), however unlike the legion I suspect that his thoughts won't stay so simple.

The dual was cleanly resolved, with no dramatic last stands either. Dren managed to make Athlain look like a bit of a fool publicly, but otherwise not too much harm. It appears everyone thinks different things though Athynae seems largely to blame for his misunderstanding (if not the subsequent actions). How could try playing the angry card himself wink.gif
Khajiit_Thief01
This was one of my most favorite parts of the entire story so far. The way in which it is written is just superb--you know the "punchline" is coming, yet the delivery still succeeds in keeping it fresh. Bravo!

QUOTE(treydog @ Jun 11 2011, 05:44 AM) *

“From all I have heard, she is a fine young woman. Still, if you do not wish to marry the girl, it is hardly my place to object.”

HAHA! I can just HEAR the glass shattering in Athlain's mind after the Duke says this. "Wait...hold on...did I just...?"

"Make yourself look like an idiot? Yes, yes you did."

Poor Athlain. Still, he can take some solace in the fact that he'll be able to look back on this one day and laugh--one day FAR into the future!

I am glad that the Duke appealed to his sense of reason in this matter. He has always struck me as an honoroble mer, despite his Hlaalu heritage and the fact that his brother is a certain, shall we say, "dubious" individual.

In any event, Athlain has far more REAL dangers looming ahead on the horizon. Hopefully he will be ready to face those.
haute ecole rider
Trey, trey, trey --

You had me rolling throughout the whole encounter with Duke Dread! I was laughing so hard (at Athlain's expense) that the cats got upset with me for interrupting their post-prandial naps. wink.gif This was a fine piece of high comedy, and I quite enjoyed it. Nothing like a bit of embarrassment to keep one humble.

I kept laughing through his ruminations of Athynae's reaction to the news of his 'challenge' of the good Duke. I think he nailed 'em spot on! Yup, I'd say he likely knows the girl better than he realizes!

Then to close the chapter with such a nice compliment to my own Julian was just icing on the cake. Julian is mildly embarrassed, and both of us say thank you! Hug_emoticon.gif
D.Foxy
to Trey, long my friend over the net
For his sparkling and teasingly witty prose -
When first I read you, I knew not yet
How near my heart your words would hold close!
Yet day followeth day and from post after post
My head and heart have been captured by those
Who live in your words and our cheering hearts
Through the truths they reveal in playing their parts!
There are heroes surrounding the hero and his bumbling quest
And a shining redhead with whom we all are blest
There are villians dark, drawn in prose so stark
all writer wanna-bees should do well to mark
Cliffhangers, and plot twists in a style so brisk
you shouldn't blink, or an entire plotline goes "whist!"
across your eyes as you think you've understood
...only to find that in the entire plot's dark wood,
Our writer, the God of his universe of fiction
has somehow written his way out of our predictions
slipped through the trees while you stumble on the roots
not only lost you, but blazed a new trail, to boot!
And to top it all, he knows how to call
on a humor so dry and yet so flourishing
that our reading journey's set alive and rollicking
On a trail that sings, canters and gallops
while we follow Trey, whom will the unholy wallop
with his trusty Mace, backed up by a brace
(or trey - hey hey!) of sidekicks who shall not
ever betray the cardinal rule of a story -
"keep the reader's interest, or writer, you'll be sorry!"
Come on, my friend, unleash your inner fiend
and roar on through the story, thus, thus do we implore ye
For we cannot get enough of the delightful Trey
(And, and Athynae! Kill me not for forgetting - I say thee nay!)
minque
Just like our sweet Vet I also gave a big fat laugh when reading about Athlain's encounter with the Duke! That part was just hilarious, I could actually HEAR them both in my head! My my...this time you really have done it Treydoggie....wonderful update!

It's getting a bit complicated now....all those fine misunderstandings...hehe I think Baria and Renie will have to stand trial for meddling in this matters! I can very well imagine how THAT will turn out!
Athynae
I am anxiously awaiting your explanation as to why you chose to meddle in this situation Mother. I know that, according to Aunt Baria, you feel as if it is your "duty" to do so but in this case maybe it has gone a bit far. I am not as angry as I was about the whole thing but I am still interested in what you have to say, not only about this but the rest of it as well.

I am happy to see that you have returned from your business trip safely and am looking forward to hearing more from you, and Serene.

A
mALX
This note is copied and pasted on everyone whose story I am having to neglect for a few days - mainly because my eyes are burning too badly to keep looking at the screen :

"I'll be back!" (spoken in an Arnold voice). I haven't had time to read this week - way too much going on, my week has been hectic as H !! When I have gotten any free time my eyes and mind were burned out, lol. I'll be back to read this when I get a bit of a break in the rat-race pace around here. (sorry about that sad.gif )
Grits
Throughout the rain-swept voyage from Solstheim, my mind had been consumed with saving Athynae from an unwanted marriage. If I lost my life in the process… well, that was the part I had not quite worked out yet.

How romantic! It’s this kind of thinking that makes me want to give Athlain both a hug and a smack on the head. The resolution of the duel made me laugh and cringe for Athlain throughout.

I love that even as he returns to duty and more immediate danger, Athlain is still capable of imagining himself as the perfectly cooked and dramatically presented centerpiece of a Tsaesci feast.

mALX

I gaped like a beached slaughterfish

ROFL !!!

Even in my mind, I could hear my voice squeak on the last word.

I heard that squeak in my own mind reading Athlain's thoughts - before I read this line! This caught me by surprise and had me rolling!

Akavir was looking better all the time. Perhaps the Tsaesci would eat me

ROFL !!! Poor Athlain, lol.

The words “what could possibly go wrong” came to my mind, but I wisely left them unspoken.

SPEW !!!

Three or four years should be sufficient.

Oh, I see trouble with that plan! ROFL !!!

I am so glad you have come back to us !!! I have missed the hilarious workings of Athlain's mind so much!! Awesome Write !!!
SubRosa
As my father was fond of saying- “One thing at a time.”
Is it just me, or does "my father" seem almost fond, as opposed to the menacing dark lord "Father" we all knew from the beginning of Athlain's tale? Once again, we can see that Athlain's experiences have changed him, and how he feels toward the man whose shadow has been cast across him his entire life.

Once again, you played the "he said/she said" out to amusement. The Duke of New York Dren certainly had his entertainment quota filled for the week from that! One cannot help but to feel sorry for poor Athlain. But that is what you get for jumping to conclusions. Or in this case, for taking a red-head's jumping to conclusions at face value.

What if I didn’t want to get married?
Well then, maybe you shouldn't have been telling people that you already were? wink.gif

“what could possibly go wrong”
And with those fateful words, we are ready for the next phase of the bloody moon!
minque
QUOTE(Athynae @ Jun 13 2011, 03:27 AM) *

I am anxiously awaiting your explanation as to why you chose to meddle in this situation Mother. I know that, according to Aunt Baria, you feel as if it is your "duty" to do so but in this case maybe it has gone a bit far. I am not as angry as I was about the whole thing but I am still interested in what you have to say, not only about this but the rest of it as well.

I am happy to see that you have returned from your business trip safely and am looking forward to hearing more from you, and Serene.

A

Ahh dearest Thyna! It's a mother's privilege to meddle, right? Besides, all I want is that you will be happy, and get yourself a good life. then again I wouldn't mind if my daughter married herself into a fine family like the family of the man who controlled my own destiny and turned out to be the saviour of us all!

But be patient my dear, I have something to show you!

S
treydog
@Black Hand- I am afraid those “faint smiles” may be something Athlain will have to live with for a long time to come....

@Olen- I think that desire for more “creative solutions” is part of Athlain’s problems. He recognizes that there CAN be different answers- he just seems to manage to find the wrong “different answers each time. And the fact that, yes, it WAS Athynae who made the mistake will simply become one more thing that is Athlain’s fault… It just works out that way.

@Khajiit_Thief01- Your comments tell me that I managed to convey everything I hoped to in that installment. Thank you so much for the kind words.

@haute- With Julian exiting my story in an even more economical fashion than she entered, I find that I must work hard to maintain the dramatic tension. Or resort to a bit of humor instead. My apologies to the Felidae; perhaps a bit of salmon would not go amiss? To say Julian had an impact on Athlain would be rather like noting that “water is wet.” I am more pleased than I can say that the humor and the compliment pleased you both.

@D.Foxy-

To please a reader so witty, ribald, and wry
Is the fondest hope of those
Who the scribe’s trade do ply
Of rhymes I have few,
Bowing to better judgment
I leave them to you
Rather than attempting to equal your poetry’s measure
I bow once more in humility
And joy that my words have given pleasure

@minque- Again, it is so wonderful to have you reading (and writing) once more. Without Serene, we would not have Athynae. And Athlain (and the world) would be much poorer in such circumstances. The saving grace for Baria and Serene is that their motives are pure and unselfish. They love their children and hope to spare them some of the more painful episodes life can offer.

@Grits- Interesting you should say that- your reaction to Athlain’s misguided romanticism seems to be one I myself have provoked once or twice. Your laughter pleases me immensely, for Jerric’s Story shows your own flair for wonderful humor. Finally- he still seems to entertain the idea that “running away from it” will solve his problems- even though he recognizes that has mostly gotten him into more trouble.

@SubRosa- Yes, experience has definitely showed Athlain that perhaps the “Old Man” knows a thing or two…. The dialogue with the Duke was great fun to write, as he strung things out as long as possible (rather like me, I am afraid). As to marriage, Athlain will know what he wants just as soon as Athynae tells him…

@mALX- Welcome back! You highlighted- as usual- many of my own favorite lines. It hard to know if I am hitting the mark, having lived with Athlain for so long. Your words confirm that I have succeeded. And I do not imagine a certain red-haired someone allowing Athlain to “disappear” for 3 or 4 years. Likely not even 3 or 4 weeks… we shall see- but not yet.

----------------------------------------------------------

The snows of Solstheim did not so much melt as become soft during the day, only to refreeze to a brittle crust at night. Even so, I made good progress to the north and east, following the course of the Iggnir. As I approached the hill topped by Thirsk, I remembered my first view of the mead hall- and the one who had accompanied me. I could not look at that welcoming place without thinking of Athynae. Well- in all honesty- I could not take two steps in any direction without thinking of her. But that would just remain my little secret.

Before going inside, I stopped to see Brynjolfr, who grinned at me and then shook his head when he saw that I was alone.

“Ye be a fine lad and all, but I do fret meself as to whether ye possess the brains of a snow-worm. Letting the lass sit at home, whilst ye wander from hither to yon.”

He paused and lifted a bushy eyebrow before continuing, “She is at home, I trust? Not even ye would be sa daft as ta set her loose to traipse about the world all alone?”

I took no offense at his words; although I did wonder how the burly smith would fare if he tried to stop Athynae from “traipsing about all alone.” I answered his smile with one of my own and told him:

“As it happens, she is guesting with my family. I am sure she and my mother are finding much to discuss.”

The Nord nodded wisely and offered the observation: “Aye, ‘tis well then. Leave it ta the lass and yer momma ta plan the wedding, while ye stay as far as far can be awa’ from all that. Ye may not be quite as addled as I believed.”

My heart sank at his words, but he was just warming to the subject, “Now meself, I kept the lassies well clear of me own dear mam. I be not the sort ta wish fer bein’ tied down- but that is the very center of a momma, lookin’ ta see her boy settled. Ta her way a thinkin’, if she canna keep him ta home any longer, a spirited lassie will do the trick.”

He shook his head lugubriously, “But worse than a’ that was me sisters. They loved nothing better than ta tell tales out of school. It be terrible hard fer a fella to keep any little bit o’ mystery about hisself, when his sisters start in on what all he mighta’ done or said when he was but a sprig.”

His expression became cheerful once more as he picked up his hammer and turned to the forge, adding over a mountainous shoulder:

“But ye needn’t fret about any a that, ta be sure. Ye ha’ nae sisters, do ye? And nae doubt yer lassie wouldna stoop ta idle gossip anyway.”

Whistling tunefully, he started working with a piece of iron, leaving me to my own thoughts. The coals of the forge fire conjured an image of lovely red flowers, complete with barbed thorns- or perhaps of three red heads, huddled together on Vvardenfell, creating enough heat to singe my cheeks as far away as Solstheim.

Inside the mead hall itself, I was met with more good-natured chafing, including a rendition of “Athlain the Brave,” complete with new verses. Svenja mentioned the arrival of Thormoor Gray-Wave, adding, “He is still asleep. In fact, he has only stirred from his room for a few minutes at a time since he got here. I will say he is a peaceful sort of guest, not like some I could name.”

She grinned at me and continued, “You know, the ones who slam doors and shout ‘Fine’ at one another.”

The only resident of Thirsk who did not seem to share the light-hearted mood was Skjoldr. The chieftain sat his throne quietly, not participating in any of the usual revelry. When I went to him to offer my greetings, he responded with a distracted air and then said,

“My apologies, Athlain. My spirit has been troubled the last few days, and I know not why. Yet something misgives me, and I can find no comfort. Sit with me a while; tell me of your travels; and perhaps my gloom will lift.”

Although I did as he asked, the melancholy did not leave him, even when I recounted my misadventures in Ebonheart. Finally, he thanked me gravely and gave me leave to seek my bed. Something of his foreboding communicated itself to me, for sleep was long in arriving, and was troubled by dark dreams. Yet, when morning came, the folk of that place sent me on my way with a hearty breakfast and warm wishes for a safe journey. Almost, I tarried for another day. And I still wonder how things might have turned out if I had given in to that impulse.

As it was, I continued north to the Skaal village, where I hoped to see the end of Tharsten’s testing and perhaps to finally get some answers regarding the Captain. I had been somewhat concerned that the long delay might have set back my cause, but Korst Wind-Eye was quite pleased to see me. He was even more pleased to hear that I had concluded my business with the East Empire Company, especially when I described Carnius’ attempt to get the Skaal blamed for the attack on the mine.

However, when I went to Tharsten Heart-Fang, he just looked at me from under lowered brows for a time and then abruptly said,

“I must give thought to the next test for ye. When ye were absent for so long a time, I had rather hoped ye were perhaps gone and would not trouble me further. Ye were away for a few weeks- begone for a few days more and I will send for ye.”

I gritted my teeth and accepted the dismissal; I could not let my pique at his rudeness stand in the way of my mission. But I vowed that there would come a time when I would give the Skaal chieftain a lesson in courtesy. Meanwhile, I decided to once more share my supplies with Lassnr in exchange for his hospitality.

Two days passed in relative quiet, and then there was a stir as a hunter arrived from the south. He was obviously agitated and rushed straight to the Great Hall. A few minutes later, one of the Honor Guards came out to summon Korst Wind-Eye. After about a half-hour, the shaman reappeared and left the village, stopping only long enough to pick up his pack and his staff. No one who knew anything was willing to talk to me, but the Skaal gathered in small groups and stared off to the south. Finally, just as I was about go after the shaman on my own, an Honor Guard came to me and said,

“Tharsten Heart-Fang would have words wi’ ye, outlander.”

When I entered the Hall, the grizzled Nord watched my approach in silence and remained mute for some time once I had reached his throne. At last, he stirred himself and told me grudgingly:

“Ye have done well, showing the Skaal that ye have loyalty and wisdom. I had not expected it of such as ye. But now, there is one thing more I would test. Ye must prove that ye have the strength of a true warrior. Word has come of a strange vision at Lake Fjalding. What it portends, no man can know. Korst Wind-Eye has gone before, to learn what he may. Find him there, on the northern shore and he will tell ye what must be done.”

He fell back into a brooding silence and so I nodded and took my leave.
mALX
All the teasing Athlain took had me rolling, the people of Thirsk have long memories it seems - but the funniest of all was the meeting with Brynjolfr, I could have quoted it in its entirety! I seem to remember you describing him once as having hands like a hammer or something like that. I was easily able to picture him in my mind, your renditions of his speech patterns and actions as he spoke had me in hysterics and left a distinct image of the scene !!!

A bit of a mystery coming, it seems. GAAAAH !!! Awesome Chapter !!!
haute ecole rider
“But ye needn’t fret about any a that, ta be sure. Ye ha’ nae sisters, do ye? And nae doubt yer lassie wouldna stoop ta idle gossip anyway.”

Whistling tunefully, he started working with a piece of iron, leaving me to my own thoughts. The coals of the forge fire conjured an image of lovely red flowers, complete with barbed thorns- or perhaps of three red heads, huddled together on Vvardenfell, creating enough heat to singe my cheeks as far away as Solstheim.

This had me laughing out loud. Again. This time I managed to keep it just above a snicker, so the kitties were not disturbed from their post-prandial naps. wink.gif I loved how you echoed the situation with Athlain's sisters in the story Brynjolfr told our hero. A not so subtle reminder of the dangers of leaving his beloved with those demonesses he is unlucky enough to call his sisters.
D.Foxy
That forge fire...I SAW what was coming next, the simile of the coals to the redheads, and STILL I chuckled when I read it!

Everybody, that is the true mark of the writer. He who can play with your emotions like a violinist with his violin, even when you know exactly which note he's going to play next.
Grits
Brynjolfr’s lugubrious reminiscences had me smiling. (Love that word!) I could just picture him slowly shaking his shovel-sized head.

Inside the mead hall itself, I was met with more good-natured chafing, including a rendition of “Athlain the Brave,” complete with new verses.

How nice that his friends have been thinking of him while he was away! laugh.gif For all the comforts a mead hall offers, it seems Athlain cannot escape his uncomfortable thoughts there.

I gritted my teeth and accepted the dismissal; I could not let my pique at his rudeness stand in the way of my mission. But I vowed that there would come a time when I would give the Skaal chieftain a lesson in courtesy.

How very Athlain. He has grown and changed so much, but he still occasionally brings me right back to that pre-dawn wait for the silt strider to Balmora. smile.gif

(I forgot to mention: on your Kindle?! cool.gif )
Black Hand
Oh dear, the lake has a disturbance of some sort? I know what that means...legs of nords shall be weilded and giant axes shall speak...
Olen
I like how you've developed Thrisk and then eveytime he returns his relationship with the place has changed. The ribbing was great, Brynjolfr had me laughing, and the reappearance of 'Athlain the Brave' made me smile. He's told them about his meeting with the Duke too now...

Then the Skaal. Welcoming lot their leaders, must have been taking lessons from the Ashlanders wink.gif . I look forward to seeing what Athlain does next.
SubRosa
I see Athlain had a fine time at the mead hall. Not so great at the Skaal village Now it is off to Lake Fjalding? I wonder if that Grendel has been up to no good..?
treydog
@mALX- I count on my readers to tell me if I am “getting it right.” And, when it comes to creating memorable characters, I especially look to you. The Nords at Thirsk have become extended family for Athlain- a fact which will have unforeseen consequences. And Brynjolfr insisted on having a bigger role than he is given in the vanilla game- to my delight.

@haute- I am so pleased that the scene made you laugh- and that the kitties were not disturbed this time…. And speaking of unforeseen consequences- yes, leaving Athynae at home- and NOT writing or stopping by. Bad Idea ™

@D.Foxy- My thanks for your wonderful praise.

@Grits- Yep. That is one of those words that I imagine I would over-use if I could. And the flashback to his early days was well-spotted. Yep- I am slowly working my way through getting MANY of the stories onto the Kindle. And also reading and keeping highlights and notes.

@Black Hand- “Every time I think I have gotten out of these icy caves- they keep pulling me back in.”

@Olen- I have been taking copious notes from our wonderful writers who have made the game world come alive. With Thirsk, I have been attempting to emulate their brilliant world-building. Yes- the contrast between Thirsk and the village Skaal is an interesting one- and I decided to explore it a bit.

@SubRosa- Yes, Heorot has been attacked. For the feline aficionados among us, here is a poem that might prove diverting…. Grendel's Dog, by Beocat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long before I reached the lake and the shaman, I beheld a peculiar sight. What appeared to be a column of fire rose directly from the surface of Lake Fjalding. It seemed to reach almost to clouds in the grey sky, painting their underside orange and red. Whatever else this omen portended, I was certain it was related to the task Tharsten had set for me, the “Test of Strength.”

Soon after reaching the lake shore, I found Korst, looking toward the fiery spectacle with a troubled gaze. He glanced at me with an unreadable expression and then turned back to the eldritch fire as he spoke.

“Ah, you have arrived. These are strange times, Athlain. I know not what magic is being worked to cause this phenomenon, but you are here to test your strength. Tharsten Heart-Fang has decided to use this disturbance as a means of determining whether you have the stamina required of a Skaal warrior.”

His voice dropped to a murmur, almost as if he were reciting a fragment from somewhere, “Fire out of the water, a flame upon the ice….”

He shook himself and resumed in a normal tone, although one laced with doubt:

“Heart-Fang believes that a Draugr Lord who dwells beneath the lake is the source, but I am not certain. I fear this may be a sign of the Bloodmoon Prophecy.”

I felt a chill at his words that had nothing to do with the temperature. I had absorbed my father’s attitude toward prophecy at an early age, and had seen nothing since to cause me to change my mind. It was yet another way in which the gods- and the Daedra- chose to toy with mortals. Nevertheless, curiosity overcame queasiness and I asked what he meant.

“I pray to the All-Maker that I am wrong. But- it is an ancient Nordic prophecy, one I hope is naught but a myth. It tells of a time when Masser will hide his face, Secunda will turn blood red, and wolves that walk like men will roam the land. The prophecy tells of signs that will precede the Bloodmoon, but they are not easy to interpret, even for me.”

He made a warding gesture and added, “We will speak of this another time. For now, Heart-Fang has decided that it is a sign that you must prove your strength, your ability to survive harsh conditions, and to fight against dangerous foes. Beneath the lake there are a number of caves. In one of them, you will find Aeslip, a Draugr Lord. Tharsten believes that Aeslip has used his magic to create this uncanny fire.”

Over the course of my adventures, I had learned that one of the greatest weapons is knowledge, so I asked Korst to tell me what he could of this ”Draugr Lord.”

“From what I have read in the histories, he was once a powerful mage, one who strayed into necromancy. Somehow, his meddling with this dark magic caused him to become a draugr himself. However, he still retains much of his tremendous power. You are to confront this creature and perhaps put an end to this madness. But- be cautious, Athlain. Something about this seems odd to me.”

He placed a comforting hand on my shoulder and said, “Tharsten has decreed that you must do this thing alone, else I would go with you. For now, perhaps you could go to the mead hall and see if the hunters there know anything more. Afterwards, you must prove your strength.”

He returned to his contemplation of the fiery column, and I turned to the south

When I neared the mead hall, my uneasiness grew. I could not hear the sound of Brynjolfr’s hammer ringing upon his anvil, nor was there any smell of smoke from the wood fire that burned constantly in the center of the hall. Dread weighted my steps and was not relieved when I at last caught a glimpse of Thirsk.

One door was barely hanging from a single hinge; the other was smashed to splinters. The snow before the hall held strange tracks and massive splashes of blood. Something terrible had happened here and I wished desperately that I could turn away from it. But- I wore the uniform of an officer of the Legion, with all that it meant. Beyond that, the people of this place had taken me in, befriended me, become as dear to me as family. Whatever had passed, I had to know. And once I knew, I would do whatever must be done. Julian’s words came to me then, slightly altered:

Take care of your people and honor your dead.

Yes.

With that thought, I shouldered my way through the ruined doors and into the mead hall. The interior was a shambles- tables and benches overturned and broken, bodies and parts of bodies littered the floor, and blood was splashed everywhere. So great was the destruction that even some of the columns that supported the high ceiling were sundered and lay across the darkened fire pit. The only illumination was provided by a couple of guttering torches, and I was just as glad that I could not see more clearly.

At the far end of the hall, where Skjoldr’s throne had been, a figure moved in the gloom. I drew Athynae’s Gift and raised my shield, preparing to face whatever creature had wrought such destruction. Instead, what came to me from the darkness was the melodic voice of Svenja Snow-Song, hoarse with emotion, but still filled with welcome and relief.

“Athlain? Ah, it is you, then. I fear I cannot offer you the hospitality of Thirsk on this day.”

As she stepped into the light, I saw that she gripped a bow loosely in one hand, and that her face appeared to be made of carved bone. As she stared at me, her casual demeanor vanished, and she dropped the bow and buried her head in her hands, shoulders shaking with wracking sobs. I could deal with the destruction of Thirsk more easily than the tears of this Skaal warrior, but Svenja had been a friend to Athynae- and to me. So I went to her and awkwardly put my arms around her, holding her until the crying eased.

Composing herself, she stepped away from me and said with a wry smile, “It is just as well your Athynae is not here. She might get the wrong idea, seeing another woman in your arms.”

I understood Svenja’s need to lighten the mood and made a weak attempt to answer in kind. “Well, yes. Although I think you would probably be safe enough. I might not fare so well.”

When she seemed ready to speak, I asked her what had passed. She shuddered at the memory and then began the tale. In a halting voice, she told me:

“Brynjolfr had gone down the coast to pick up a shipment of metal for his forge, and some of the others were off hunting. It was night and….” She stopped for a moment to steady herself and began once more.

“He--- came to the mead hall and killed everyone that he could. I was upstairs, talking with Berditte Jestaal, when I heard the noise as the beast burst through the doors. I watched from the gallery as the clan tried to withstand the onslaught. They fought bravely, but… they were no match for the creature’s fury.”

She gestured to the bow she had dropped and to silver arrows driven into the walls and floor.

“I took my bow from the wall and rained arrows upon him from the stairs and at last drove him off. But he will return.”

Svenja seemed to lose the thread of her story as her eyes looked into the past and she muttered,

“We were singing and drinking mead, enjoying the warmth of the fire- and then- he struck. Never have I seen so savage a beast. Almost, I could think that the monster that did this was the Udyrfrykte. But how could that be?”

Although heartened by the news that the smith and some others might have survived by virtue of being away, I was still devastated by the deaths of so many of the Skaal- their leader among them. But Svenja’s speculation about the identity of the murderous creature startled me. I had thought I could put a name to the monster; perhaps the same as those who had attacked the fort. But it seemed I was mistaken. The word she had used was unknown to me- perhaps it was simply a Nordic term for “werewolf.” But when I asked, she shook her head.

“No. Though they are terrible foes, this is a different creature, far worse in many ways. It is called the Udyrfrykte. According to our legends, it is a remorseless, undying monster with a taste for human flesh. But the sagas tell that he was sealed within his lair centuries ago. The entry is on the shore of Lake Fjalding, but it is covered with ice. So how could he escape? And why now?”

She paused and stared toward the sundered doors of the hall, which faced the lake. “Wait though. There is that strange fire upon the surface of Lake Fjalding. Surely you have seen it? I know not what sorcery caused that ill-omened flame, but it must have melted the ice. If that is true, the Udyrfrykte is free once more. Athlain, you must stop the creature. You are the only one who can.”
haute ecole rider
And so begins the saga of the brave Beowulf Beocat. No, wait. Wrong saga. Or is it?

Though I have no clue what happens in the game, I'm enjoying this latest mystery facing Athlain. And after encountering the Udyrfrykte Matron near Dive Rock, I have an idea of what's ahead for our dauntless hero.

I especially liked this musing of his:
But- I wore the uniform of an officer of the Legion, with all that it meant.
QFT! Julian is nodding her head approvingly at this point. And here lies the core principle that drives all of Athlain's decisions. The sense of responsibility is not going away anytime soon, and many folks will be grateful for that. smile.gif
Black Hand
Dare the Hero endure the depths of the despair of the Dark?

What level of seven hells,
does dead dreams dwell?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.