Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Writing Process, And/Or Problems with Same
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Darkness Eternal
QUOTE(Olen @ Apr 5 2012, 07:42 PM) *

I tend to set the mood with music and have various playlists. Film scores are good, by design they set a mood but aren't distracting. The gladiator score sees a lot of use. Likewise music from games can be useful (often buried as mp3s somewhere in the install).

While in general I prefer music without lyrics there are a few tracks which are great for setting the mood. Joan Baez Diamonds and Rust is a good example.
Yes, definetly. Gladiator Score and 300 and Spartacus score are among the prime ones that I will use. Though I always think of a song that would really set the tone for something.

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Apr 5 2012, 07:50 PM) *

I'm not sure DE means what music do we listen to to write...

Isn't it -

Chapter 1

(Web-link to song to fit mood - Ernie the fastest milkman in the west)...

Bert walked briskly down the road, bottles jingling in the moonlight. He was somewhat alarmed when Mrs Scroggins from number 24 decided to start chomping on his throat.

"Ere!! Get owff meh!!" he cried, "I've got a round to finish!"

"Rawr!!" said the undead matron sporting bright green curlers, flannelette nighty and floral slippers.

-----------------

Sort of thing?...

No, I wouldn't do that personally...

You won't want to be listening to Starship, Yes or the Three Degrees' Givin Up, Givin In... tongue.gif ...

EDIT...As you were...I think that's what's meant... biggrin.gif ...Sorry about that... tongue.gif ...

Yes, this is what I mean, to use a song during the scene for the reader to read and listen.

Song.
For example, have a young man return to his farm home from a plentiful hunt. Description on the scenery and the sounds and everything like that. How he descends on the hill to see cattle flocking around the field and etc.

I always figured it might be distracting, but then again it could also set a tone for the scene more than words can, at least that's what I think. It was the reason why I was asking.
Grits
I think that’s why I wouldn’t post links to a song for readers, because I want to learn how to create the scene just with words. It’s a neat idea, though. Multi-media stories. smile.gif

I definitely listen to specific music while I’m driving if I think there’s a chance I’ll get to write when I get home. It does help to get my mind started before I’m at the keyboard.
Jacki Dice
QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 5 2012, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Jacki Dice @ Apr 5 2012, 12:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Apr 4 2012, 02:35 PM) *

How many of you folks use music in your stories to express a certain scene or chapter? Or maybe even inspiration?

For example:

"Chapter I"

*Insert song here*
Mr.Warrior walked along side the road, eyeing the birds and the bees.

Not Screamo music or anything like that. No, not even rap or hip-hop for Redguard. You know what I mean tongue.gif

I do! I'm doing it now, actually smile.gif Certain songs can bring out certain feelings in me and it really helps to bring things out in my writing.

As for inspiration, the entire story for Nemesis was inspired by Swansong for a Raven by Cradle of Filth. ♥

OMG, Jacki - now that is absolutely fitting and inspiring for writing Tara's character.

It's just perfect, isn't it? I was obsessed with the song for years! It's the entire reason for Clarissa's existence and her sad fate. Though in the beginning it was definitely more for Kalila (Tara was originally little more than a name) but now that Tara has blossomed into her own character, it is really fitting.

This one though is all Tara.
mALX
QUOTE(Jacki Dice @ Apr 5 2012, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 5 2012, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Jacki Dice @ Apr 5 2012, 12:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Apr 4 2012, 02:35 PM) *

How many of you folks use music in your stories to express a certain scene or chapter? Or maybe even inspiration?

For example:

"Chapter I"

*Insert song here*
Mr.Warrior walked along side the road, eyeing the birds and the bees.

Not Screamo music or anything like that. No, not even rap or hip-hop for Redguard. You know what I mean tongue.gif

I do! I'm doing it now, actually smile.gif Certain songs can bring out certain feelings in me and it really helps to bring things out in my writing.

As for inspiration, the entire story for Nemesis was inspired by Swansong for a Raven by Cradle of Filth. ♥

OMG, Jacki - now that is absolutely fitting and inspiring for writing Tara's character.

It's just perfect, isn't it? I was obsessed with the song for years! It's the entire reason for Clarissa's existence and her sad fate. Though in the beginning it was definitely more for Kalila (Tara was originally little more than a name) but now that Tara has blossomed into her own character, it is really fitting.

This one though is all Tara.

You aren't kidding !!! It almost tells the story of her character! Awesome picks, Jacki!
Colonel Mustard
I use music a lot in my writing, personally, and have quite a large selection of pieces that I have specifically for when I'm setting pen to paper. I generally prefer movie and game soundtracks, as they're a good shortcut for evoking a mood as that is their primary goal, and I do often find them useful as sources of inspiration, having had them inspire scenes or stories as well; for example, this piece served as inspiration for the piece I'm writing at the moment. It really does help, I find.

Plus the headphones I listen to it with are sound-excluding, so are good for blocking out distractions. biggrin.gif
Fawkes
I actually write with some music on, it strangely helps me get my ideas on paper, depending on the type of song that comes up, sadly Jericho still does not have a Song sad.gif. But I do have a playlist devoted to music that helps me write.
But right now the songs are all cheerful and what not, I don't mind it when the author links a song, it tends to get me more in the mood for the chapter that I'm about to read.

Like right now, thanks to, this, little song and this other one, my next chapter was rather easily written, well half of it. tongue.gif

Darkness Eternal
I noticed around here that people hate the "evil" guys and love the "good" guys. I was just wondering, will a "evil" protagonist or morally grey/misunderstood main character scare readers away?
Grits
First, it’s true that there are lots of good characters here whom I adore. I have connected with them in some way, and I really want them to succeed. It’s harder for me to relate to an evil character, so they have to be compelling enough for me to be interested in them anyway.

BUT, I really, really love it when a writer can make me interested in someone that I “should” dislike. There are grey characters and anti-heroes here whose updates make me jump and squeak when I see them at the top of the board. I don't quite wish that their writers had no social lives and therefore could spend more time writing stories for me to read, but almost. tongue.gif

So I’d say give your bad guy a chance. smile.gif
SubRosa
An "evil" protagonist is a more difficult undertaking than a "good" one. The reason being that many people do not stick with a character they do not like, and it is easy to dislike someone like Joe Stalin or John Wayne Gacy. However, I can say that there are many good guy characters I do not like either. But that is usually because of them being Marty-Stu's and otherwise poor writing.

But anti-heroes can work. You just have to make them accessible to the audience. Write them so that the reader can identify with them in some way. That way they can root for the anti-hero to win. Michael Moorcock's Elric was a wonderful anti-hero, same with Karl Edward Wagner's Kane. I have even found myself sucked into watching The Borgias, because of Jeremy Iron's masterful portrayal of the Pope.

The other thing is, make the anti-heroes enemy even more nasty and despicable. So they look good in comparison. This is one thing Moorcock and Wagner typically did. This is also the case in The Borgias. There are no 'good' characters in that series. Everyone has their own agenda, and is typically ruthless enough to do whatever it takes to achieve it, including murder and inciting a foreign power to invade their own country.
McBadgere
Spartacus was much the same, everyone hated everyone else...And I said to the wife more than once, "Who the hell are we supposed to like in this series?...Oooh Boobs!!.." biggrin.gif ...

I like well written bad guys, but only if they are eventually smacked down... biggrin.gif ...

I've always been good...When everyone else was playing Darth Vader and [insert late seventies/early eighties film/tv baddies] I was always, without fail the good ones...*Adjusts halo*..

I simply don't understand the need to be evil...Why bother?...It's just not nice... tongue.gif ...
haute ecole rider
Weeellll, as a whole I find dark characters much more interesting than haloed ones. I think it's because I tend to think of people as inherently "good" but shaped by their environment, and learning how the baddies got that way is the best part of the story, for me at least.

If you want an example of an antihero on this forum, just read either of Olen's stories Shades of Ending or Burning Today. Both show pretty well-developed antiheroes who show us what unfortunate circumstances can do to humans. I really liked what Olen did with the moral ambiguity in those stories.

My favorite villain? Currently it's Mr. Gold in Once Upon a Time. I am surprised by how much I enjoy this rehash of some familiar fairy tales and really like the overall darker tone that is being created in this series. I adore Mr. Gold for his mixture of vulnerability and general unlikeability. I'm torn between wanting redemption for him and wishing somebody would run him through with a bloody great claymore!

Oh, and I liked Boba Fett in the original Star Wars trilogy. I was pissed when they dumped him down that Sarlaac in the first half hour of the final movie. Oooh, how I wanted to throttle the writers for that!

Whether he wins or not, a well-crafted villain makes the story for me. cool.gif
mALX
QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ May 16 2012, 03:59 PM) *

Oh, and I liked Boba Fett in the original Star Wars trilogy. I was pissed when they dumped him down that Sarlaac in the first half hour of the final movie. Oooh, how I wanted to throttle the writers for that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsryQOMcDy4

Olen
There's different levels of 'Evil' protagonist.

A simple evil, moustache twirling, baby eating, bad for the sake of it villain is unlikely to get far because it's not realistic. No one thinks they're evil, at worst they have something they want and don't care what's involved getting it and most people think what they're doing is right.

But yes if you have a character who is doing what they think is right but in a rather morally questionable way it works fine, maybe better than a perfectly snow white character. Flaws and morals are interesting and playing with shades of grey can be fun. Good and bad are more opinions, so having protagonists and antagonists each with their own agenda and intention can be more interesting that simply labelling one as good and the other as evil.

But to answer the question: yes, antiheros go down fine here, and the concept of good/ evil in characters isn't necessary.

A good example of this would be in Serenity: you have Malcolm Reynolds and 'The Operative' both of whom can give a sensible argument that they are doing the right thing while having exactly opposite goals. Neither is particularly bothered about how they achieve it and it's the bad guy who actually acknowledges that his methods aren't acceptable.
haute ecole rider
Thank you mALX! Now where is that bottle of Brain Bleach??

That is sick, taking a bada$$ MF-er and turning him into a K-pop star? Ugh!

Kinda almost wish I hadn't clicked on your linky there, hyperactive homicidal squirrel you!
Grits
QUOTE(McBadgere @ May 15 2012, 10:39 PM) *
I've always been good...When everyone else was playing Darth Vader and [insert late seventies/early eighties film/tv baddies] I was always, without fail the good ones...*Adjusts halo*..

I was always Darth Vader, because:

1. The annoying neighbor girl would cry if she couldn’t be Princess Leia. (I’m talking about you, Karen. tongue.gif)

2. Cape.

3. Darth Vader gets to smack the hell out of everyone with her length of flexible Hot Wheels track.

4. Redemption. smile.gif
haute ecole rider
3. Darth Vader gets to smack the hell out of everyone with her length of flexible Hot Wheels track.

AHHHMENNNN! laugh.gif

Hot Wheels girl here too! wink.gif
Fawkes
Just don't make the bad guy sing a song on why he wants to do "X", I myself think that Scar from the Lion King was one of the best villains, he does not explain why he wants to do it, he gets a chance to kill someone and he does it.

mALX
QUOTE(Fawkes @ May 16 2012, 08:08 PM) *

Just don't make the bad guy sing a song on why he wants to do "X", I myself think that Scar from the Lion King was one of the best villains, he does not explain why he wants to do it, he gets a chance to kill someone and he does it.

I loved Scar, even had a dog named after him that was born about the time the movie came out. (died years ago now).
Athynae
Ok guys, I really love all the Star Wars references but did you have to make it so obvious that you were still "playing" when Star Wars came out????

And McB if you think for one minute I believe that you were ALWAYS the good guy, really???? I was an Olen character bad/good guy or good/bad guy...which ever worked. On my trusty two wheeled steed that had a banana seat and a high back sissy bar....it had one speed, as fast as you could pedal and the brakes were on the pedals....put a kid today on a bike like that and they'll ask you what you are smoking, like the look I got from my eldest child when she was trying to use a rotary dial phone....don't even ask how that went...I ended up telling her to go get the cordless cuz she was hopeless.

My thought, we all do things that someone else would call bad or wrong, the level to which that goes is determined by whoever is doing the judging. So, art imitates life, a story is good because it's good not because good always wins, it doesn't in RL why should it in a story...every time.

Haute I am loving Once Upon a Time and I totally agree with your opinion about Mr. Gold. I thought when the idea was first advertised that it would be stupid but they do a great job depicting the relationship between the two worlds as well as the characters, just good stuff.
McBadgere
I always was!!... biggrin.gif ...

A-Team I was Murdock...Surprisingly enough... biggrin.gif ...Star Wars, I was Han Solo...Dungeons and Dragons, I was Erik the Knight...

I was always good...

Boring, I know...*Shrug*...

I have no problem with anti-heroes...I don't know how to write them, but Olen and Colonel Mustard's characters in is New Vegas story were brilliantly done...I have no problem with heroes doing "Grey" stuff and doing whatever is needed to achieve the removal of the "bad" guys...

But I'm having a hard time writing the bit I'm on now, simply because bad things are being done by the Boo-hiss baddie and I'm having to say what they are, to somehow justify the pounding they're going to get in the end...

But the idea of characters that simply see us as potential slaves or foodstuffs (like vampires and werewolves) I don't get...And I really don't understand Daedric Princes...Not at all...I was soooo sick of running into their quests on Skyrim...*Yawn*...

There is too much evil and badness in the real world for me to enjoy spending my time trying to relate to characters that have nothing redeemable about them...Or not even bothered about redmption in the first place...

Antiheroes may do some WTF things, but they're not evil...As such...So I like them... biggrin.gif ...

Does any of that make sense?... biggrin.gif ...
Colonel Mustard
Ah, villains, what fun they are to write, I find...*

The thing about writing a compelling, convincing antagonist is that is it's really no different from writing a compelling, convincing protagonist; what you need is a personality ideas, flaws and details and so forth to add depth and humanise them, and a goal. The only real difference between a protagonist and an antagonist is their overall goal, really; whereas a protagonist will generally have a goal that is noble or at least largely sympathetic (how sympathetic this goal gets rather more questionable with anti-heroes, but I'll be covering that later), an antagonistic figure will have goals that, even they aren't downright evil, are generally self-centred, ignoble or are good ones that are worked towards in a destructively misguided manner.

These goals can come about in the same sort of ways that protagonist's goals can come about; through a personality flaw, through circumstances such as a goal for revenge, an even greater threat they feel they must stop/control/maintain at any cost, something like. For your villain and their goals to be realistic, so too must the means that brings these goals about; one of my favourite villains, Satan from Milton's Paradise Lost (who is both one of the greatest successes and greatest failures as an antagonistic character in literature), has his goal of overthrowing God and seizing control of Heaven through a mixture of pride (a typically heroic quality, especially one of Classical/Homeric heroes) and greed (a typically villainous motive; note the mix here). An antagonist character should not simply be, as Olen pointed out, an all-black, moustache-twirling, baby-eating complete monster, as they're no more interesting than a hero who is a shining, flawless paragon of virtue.**

In short, your antagonist must be like your protagonist in order to succeed; while they may be evil, they must also be flawed and human. They must be relatable; they must be like us, so that we can feel at least some modicum of sympathy for them in the knowledge that they, are at the end of the day, human*** just as we are, and also allows us the moral lesson of remembering that it could be us ordering the burning of villages from the top of a little Onyx Oubliette of Terror of our own.

Naturally, don't go too far and make them too relateable; the audience must get a sense of pathos and triumph when the villain is defeated or otherwise you have failed in your task of writing a villain. And, of course, keep in mind that a flawed, relatable, human villain must, have a hero who is equally, if not more, flawed, relatable and human in order to make sure we're rooting for the right character; this is, in a sense, why Satan is actually a great failure as an antogonistic character, he has more flaws and, meaning that we can relate to him much more easily than Milton's designated protagonist characters, who Milton sets up as shining, flawless paragons of virtue and thus end up being much less interesting than the Fallen Angel who was ambitious, proud, stupid and human enough to do something like pick a fight with God over what essentially amounted to latent daddy issues. In comparison, Milton intends it to be that the people we root for should be Adam and Eve, who are generally rather bland, and God, who always seems rather smug. Even when Satan slowly changes to a character who becomes increasingly petty, bitter and spiteful as the poem poem progresses, he remains the most interesting and compelling individual there simply because he is the most human in his nature. He does what a good number of human beings would do in his pursuit of revenge to sooth a wounded pride, losing control and perspective as things get more personal for him in a manner that is atypical of most members of the human race****.

Anyway, realise I went off on one somewhat there, but in essence my advice can be narrowed down to this: make you villain human, make them flawed, and that in turn is what makes them compelling. On the othe rhand, remove all humanity and have yourself a malevolent Lovecraftian entity that is completely incomprehensible and inhuman and is thus bloody terrifying as we simply cannot comprehend it. The only problem with that is that your protagonists usually end up dead.*****

*Hello everyone. Sorry, internet's been down lately and I've borrowed a dongle for a bit to write this, as I'm all over this sort of stuff, but I can't hang around. To everyone whose stories and stuff I've been reading, I'll get over to them in a bit once my internet is finished doing a dodo impression. Honest, guvnor.
**Case in point: Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter books, who, despite being a bigoted, manipulative murderous, self-centred coward with an Oedipus Complex large enough to make Freud weep tears of joy, is much more liked by the Potter fanbase than Harry himself, simply because he's presented as more flawed and complex than the series' hero.
***Or at least similar to human beings in basic mindset. Even if they have tentacles and eat rocks, give them soemthing that we can relate to.
****Even if we wouldn't like to admit it; Satan admitting it is part of what makes him a villain, along with his ability to so successfully manipulate and seduce his audience of fellow fallen angels. This ability to manipulate is what makes him such successful villain; not only does he managed to mould the sympathies of other characters, but also manages to mould the sympathies of a good chunk of the audience into rooting for him, the ultimate incarnation of evilm as opposed to God, the Omnibenevolent being who created the world and everything in it. Y'know, the nice guy. Who's also rather smug.
*****If they're lucky...
Oh, and if you write that sort of antagonist, make sure that the protagonist is a raving loony. The eyes! THE EYES!!
ghastley
A good evil character (you know what I mean) is one whose intentions are good, but whose methods don't achieve the lofty goals he set out for. A dictator who overthrows a truly evil regime, but finds he's inherited a corrupt system he can't fix, so he goes with the flow. He chooses stability for his realm over freedom for its people, institutes a command economy because he can't trust the crooks who want "free enterprise" so they can cheat everyone. All because he's the only honest man in a corrupt system, and can make the trains run on time that way.

He'll resist attempts to overthrow him, because he quite reasonably knows that any successor will just face the same insoluble difficulties, and nobody could possibly do any better. The people don't deserve any better anyway, they're corrupt all the way down to the slave classes. The devil you know, and all that.
Darkness Eternal
QUOTE(McBadgere @ May 16 2012, 03:39 AM) *

Spartacus was much the same, everyone hated everyone else...And I said to the wife more than once, "Who the hell are we supposed to like in this series?...Oooh Boobs!!.." biggrin.gif ...

I like well written bad guys, but only if they are eventually smacked down... biggrin.gif ...

I simply don't understand the need to be evil...Why bother?...It's just not nice... tongue.gif ...

Well, Spartacus was more of a war situation. Even the producers said the "heroes" are more Anti-hero than anything. Some of the main characters we grew to love commited acts that most people would consider "evil", like Crixus stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach. A woman, who was responsible for many deaths in the series. Though his noble acts outweighted that particular moment. I don't mind if the "boo-hiss baddie" comes off as the winner in the end.

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ May 16 2012, 08:59 PM) *

Weeellll, as a whole I find dark characters much more interesting than haloed ones. I think it's because I tend to think of people as inherently "good" but shaped by their environment, and learning how the baddies got that way is the best part of the story, for me at least.

If you want an example of an antihero on this forum, just read either of Olen's stories Shades of Ending or Burning Today. Both show pretty well-developed antiheroes who show us what unfortunate circumstances can do to humans. I really liked what Olen did with the moral ambiguity in those stories.

My favorite villain? Currently it's Mr. Gold in Once Upon a Time. I am surprised by how much I enjoy this rehash of some familiar fairy tales and really like the overall darker tone that is being created in this series. I adore Mr. Gold for his mixture of vulnerability and general unlikeability. I'm torn between wanting redemption for him and wishing somebody would run him through with a bloody great claymore!

Whether he wins or not, a well-crafted villain makes the story for me. cool.gif

Once I get internet connection(hopefully this week), I can read these stories for a feel of what people like in characters. They seem popular already.

Boba Fett is a favorite of mine. He isn't the total baddie, but people considered him to be after he was paid to chase a bunch of rebel terrorists(who were the protagonists in the films) by Darth Vader, a man considered a villain in the Star Wars movies. Sure, Boba was a Bounty Hunter, but hey, it's a job. Seeing your father get beheaded by a Jedi isn't something good. What was he suppose to do early on, raise a family? He even said something along the lines of "Seeing your dad get decapitated doesn't equip you to be a family man".

Since others mentioned Star Wars, I guess I can point out I understand somewhat of the tragic hero scenario. But I love the irony within the irony in Star Wars. Ironception, I say. Here we have a dark mystic who has the power to save others from death, but eventually could not save himself. He played part in creating a younger boy who was famous poster boy in the Clone Wars for his combat prowess and heroic escapades who became known as "The Hero with no fear." But the very burden in his life that led to his rise or downfall was fear. His wife, who's devotion in life was to serve and protect the Republic, was the very reason it collapsed. Her existence was the key reason to Darth Vader's actions in the third film. And in the end, he commited all these acts; child butchery, mercilessly slaughtering terrorists, destroying the religious zealots known as the Jedi...all to learn a power that was suppose to save his wife from death, yet because he was under the influence of that power, he was the one who killed her. That's beautifully poetic in a sad, tragic way.

But enough ramblings.

QUOTE(McBadgere @ May 17 2012, 05:58 AM) *

But the idea of characters that simply see us as potential slaves or foodstuffs (like vampires and werewolves) I don't get...And I really don't understand Daedric Princes...Not at all...I was soooo sick of running into their quests on Skyrim...*Yawn*...

There is too much evil and badness in the real world for me to enjoy spending my time trying to relate to characters that have nothing redeemable about them...Or not even bothered about redmption in the first place...

Antiheroes may do some WTF things, but they're not evil...As such...So I like them... biggrin.gif ...

Does any of that make sense?... biggrin.gif ...

Ah, but vampires and werewolves have potential. I won't talk about Twilight, because that came much later after there was established folklore and stories regarding these preternatural creatures. Vampires and werewolves make for excellent anti-heroes because they are not in the normal rules and structures of "morality". Since they aren't totally human, we can expect them to be human. With them, we can create stories about how a character copes with such condition. Such as Trey Dog's Blood on the Moon, per se.

We can ask questions such as; Is it evil to know you can potentialy harm someone with this intense hunger and not seek a cure? Is it evil to want to keep this condition for the sake of the benefits it offers? And are werewolves or vampires truly evil for wanting to make a person their snack? Lore in Elder Scrolls have it that they must feed and kill to survive, so it is almost the same as saying leopards and man-eating animals are evil for killing a man to survive. Of course, as you said, these things do not interest you as much. Each of us are entitled to our own opinions wink.gif, and I am speaking of my own here. I guess most people in western society follow moral guidelines already established. We understand that there is "good" and "evil" in the world, yet some would find these things subjective. Not to begin a philosphical argument here.

The reason I asked was because I often wondered how many people could truly relate to a baby-devouring person or a ruthless trigger-slinging warrior? Not that many. And because readers cannot relate to these characters, the story is rendered a failure because it failed to capture the mind of its readers. At least, that's what I personally think. But on the subject of Daedra, however, its understandable. Since Daedra are superior deities and beings, they are what they represent. Physical manifestations of acts us humans would consider "bad". Such as destruction, corruption, murder, deceit, manipulation and etc.

QUOTE(Olen @ May 16 2012, 10:53 PM) *

There's different levels of 'Evil' protagonist.

A simple evil, moustache twirling, baby eating, bad for the sake of it villain is unlikely to get far because it's not realistic. No one thinks they're evil, at worst they have something they want and don't care what's involved getting it and most people think what they're doing is right.

But yes if you have a character who is doing what they think is right but in a rather morally questionable way it works fine, maybe better than a perfectly snow white character. Flaws and morals are interesting and playing with shades of grey can be fun. Good and bad are more opinions, so having protagonists and antagonists each with their own agenda and intention can be more interesting that simply labelling one as good and the other as evil.

But to answer the question: yes, antiheros go down fine here, and the concept of good/ evil in characters isn't necessary.

A good example of this would be in Serenity: you have Malcolm Reynolds and 'The Operative' both of whom can give a sensible argument that they are doing the right thing while having exactly opposite goals. Neither is particularly bothered about how they achieve it and it's the bad guy who actually acknowledges that his methods aren't acceptable.

Basically what I mentioned earlier on, so your comment further reinforced my thoughts. And that's pretty much what everyone else said. Thanks. It was quite a mouth-full of what you wrote here. laugh.gif

But I sort of understand what you mean. I will once again mention Darth Vader as a possible anti-hero and not only a tragic hero. I guess we can argue that he had his flaws such as pride and an inflated ego and not abiding by the tenets of his Order. And he did things we can understand, but at the same time, raise an eyebrow to. Such as the moment his mother was tortured and murdered by a group of savages. He responded to her passing with hate, thus flirting with the darker nature of passion and proceeding to justify(avenging) his mother's death in his own accord. Yet some people argued that it was not right, because as a Jedi, he is to learn peace and etc. And he slaughtered women and children in the act as well, though they were no more than animals. The act is sort of grey, in my opinion. Or later when he betrayed his own friends for the sake of saving one person. That was considered evil, yet if you are a Star Wars nerd like me, you would understand that he not only did it for her, but in his own concept of order and stability. To free the galaxy of what he considered tyrants.

I guess my question was answered. Make the "good guys" seem like "villains", and the "villains" seem noble cool.gif As SubRosa said.
Darkness Eternal
QUOTE(Olen @ Jan 6 2008, 05:30 PM) *

Mallet: try reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb for a full novel in 1st person. Its not the best but its still well worth it.

As for my technique well I haven't posted here yet seeing as I've got to the 15k this is rubbish moment (I always seem to get between 15 and 17k into a story and decide its rubbish and must never see the light of day but with a re write it might pass).

Anyway forgive me the style its written in as I adapted it from a post made on another forum so it has a rather instructional tone...

Five steps to a story:

1. Work out roughly what happens. Take a walk in the park, sit with some paper and a few ciders, go for a run, do some weights, whatever. Get a basic idea. There's no right way to do this because it doesn't matter. Now sit and think on it, this is especially good to do as you fall asleep. Try fusing ideas together, or changing bits to make them quite different - play around. Once one really sings to you go to step two.

All you should have now is something like 'Empire falling apart without emperor so a group decide to put up a false heir to save it but their good motives go sour.'

2. Make a suitable character. This should be more part 1b really as its hard to make a character to fit a part and still make them deep so think about both the idea and character at the same time. Edit the idea as necessary. Once you know them answer the following questions: What do they want? Why do they want need it? What's stopping them from getting it? Why are they being stopped?

And bam - in those questions you have the core of the plot and a few more ideas should be forming.

Like with 1 and 2, 3 and 4 are somewhat concurrent processes.

3. Plot. What is going to happen? No need for too much detail but enough to put in foreshadowing and hooks to hold the reader in. Plan a few ‘chocolate scenes’, ie ones which will be really fun to read and write. Work out how to get between them.

Also work out how you main characters will develop (don't forget the antagonist). If anyone very major doesn't develop then go back and change them (I've heard tell of agents writing 'Who cares?' at the bottom of manuscripts where characters didn't develop - brutal but to the point).

4. Surroundings. Finalise the setting, obviously its the TES world here but when and where? You have a fair bit of leeway in how to show it, is it past its glory days and a dark dangerous place where the younger generation made desperate by unemployment is forced to go dungeon crawling and robbing or is it a shining land of heroes? Is the emperor wise and just or is he distant and uncaring? There’s a lot of choice in interpretation.

Also plan some background characters, I find it useful to have a character near the main who will conflict and show things about the protagonist which otherwise may be difficult. Work out your antagonist as well, what does he want and why?

5. Brush up the plot a bit then go write. New characters come easily. Edit the previous bits as needed. If you want to change something then do it. Its part of the process. If can be bothered it will be better for a re write but really just give it overnight and read though before posting and it will be fine.

Well that’s more or less how I do it. I find the planning pays off once you get in as you know what’s to happen next.

There’s quite a bit of interesting stuff here: http://www.hollylisle.com/fm/ and here http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php

Thats what I generally do though I tend to run aground at 15-20k words as I said so maybe it doesn't work so well.

Oh my....

I am now kicking myself for PMing you earlier and not reading this before I began writing. indifferent.gif
Colonel Mustard
I need help coming up with a word!

Specifically, it's for an original fiction project of mine, set on a world with species on it other than humans. I want a word to collectively refer to those species that aren't humans, and so far I've managed to settle on the term 'xenoforms' but I'm worried that a) that makes people think of aliens when the species all evolved on and are local to the same planet and cool.gif I think China Miévelle uses that term in his Bas-Lag series as well.

Does anybody have any suggestions I might be able to use?
Darkness Eternal
Yautja! Yautja!
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Apr 14 2013, 09:47 PM) *
Yautja! Yautja!

I think you've misunderstood; I've got names for the species (Akriit, Q'Relli and Vespic), but I don't actually have a word to refer to them as a whole. Let me stick it in some context, that should make it clearer.

Yelna took a moment to stare up at it, one hand resting on her handbag, thumb running over the worn brass buckle that connected the leather strap to her bag. She stayed there for a moment before she was jostled from behind by someone in the crowd, and she glanced over at the large Q’Relli who had done so. “Sorry about that,” the blue-scaled xenoform apologised, tipping the bowler hat it wore to her with one of its four pseudopodia

See, in that segment, I want a word other than 'xenoform', but I can't think of one.
Darkness Eternal
Just slap on E.T or alien life form. But you want a name that can that is the same synonym with alien but is a new word in and of itself to describe all of them.

Let me try to come up with something, and I'll be back.
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Apr 14 2013, 09:56 PM) *
Just slap on E.T or alien life form. But you want a name that can that is the same synonym with alien but is a new word in and of itself to describe all of them.

Let me try to come up with something, and I'll be back.

Yeah, the thing about using 'alien' is that it implies they come from a different planet, when they all evolved on the same one. For my theoretical sci-fi/space opera magnum opus I've 'extress' to refer to aliens (bastardisation of 'extraterrestrial') but seeing as a Q'relli is just as native to this planet as a human is that doesn't work so well.
Elisabeth Hollow
Do some word play. Maybe with the word native? A different language, then change a few letters, add something. BAM. New words.
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Apr 14 2013, 10:05 PM) *
Do some word play. Maybe with the word native? A different language, then change a few letters, add something. BAM. New words.

I quite like that idea. I might try 'gentilic' or something like that as a play on 'gentile', which fits the sort of thing I'm going for quite well. Cheers Liz!
McBadgere
Um, my thinking is that if they're all (however their species arrived in the way back when) from the same planet...You wouldn't necessarily use a word for a different collective, would you?...Any more than you'd use collective for a cat, dog, American, blue whale on Earth, would you?...They're just different inhabitant species...

Like Khajiit...Or Argonians...Or vampires...

Yes?...No?...Ummm...

And yes, I understand what you're asking...It's just that ^ is what my brain spat out at me... biggrin.gif ...

EDIT...My brain also spat the word Alts at me...Possibly from Alternatives...I dunno...*Shrug*...
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(McBadgere @ Apr 14 2013, 10:18 PM) *
Um, my thinking is that if they're all (however their species arrived in the way back when) from the same planet...You wouldn't necessarily use a word for a different collective, would you?...Any more than you'd use collective for a cat, dog, American, blue whale on Earth, would you?...They're just different inhabitant species...

Like Khajiit...Or Argonians...Or vampires...

Yes?...No?...Ummm...

And yes, I understand what you're asking...It's just that ^ is what my brain spat out at me... biggrin.gif ...

Well the term I'm looking for is almost exactly the same as the terms cat, dog, American in its employment. Basically, it's a term that means 'other sentient beings of this planet who are not of my species'. Sort of like how we'd use 'animal' to broadly encompass fish and mammals and reptiles and insects or so forth, but instead referring to sentient beings.
McBadgere
Yeah...Got it...

Fair dues... smile.gif ...

I'll work on it... biggrin.gif ...
Elisabeth Hollow
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Apr 14 2013, 04:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Apr 14 2013, 10:05 PM) *

I quite like that idea. I might try 'gentilic' or something like that as a play on 'gentile', which fits the sort of thing I'm going for quite well. Cheers Liz!

It's what I would do!
Grits
In that sentence why don’t you just call him Q’relli? Sort of, “Have a bagel,” said the New Yorker instead of said the non-Britishperson.

Also if you use familiar words like foreigner you can imply cultural things as well as labeling the species as a non-human sentient (which can probably already be inferred by speech and blue scales). Or something like Other with a capital O to signify serious apartness.

Maybe a wordplay on Other Sentients. Hmm.

Edit: Ooo, I like McB’s “alts.” I’m sure there would be slang terms (and slurs) even if the formal word was quite dry and specific.
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(Grits @ Apr 14 2013, 10:26 PM) *
In that sentence why don’t you just call him Q’relli? Sort of, “Have a bagel,” said the New Yorker instead of said the non-Britishperson.

Also if you use familiar words like foreigner you can imply cultural things as well as labeling the species as a non-human sentient (which can probably already be inferred by speech and blue scales). Or something like Other with a capital O to signify serious apartness.

Maybe a wordplay on Other Sentients. Hmm.

Edit: Ooo, I like McB’s “alts.” I’m sure there would be slang terms (and slurs) even if the formal word was quite dry and specific.

Thing about using 'foreigner' is that it's problematic in worldbuilding as 'foreigner' in the case of the world the story is set in encompasses humans from other nations as well as non-humans. And using Q'Relli again in the next sentence is word repetition, which is just bad.

Plus it's a term that's commonly employed throughout the story's world, and there's a bit of later dialogue where a character says "You know what it can be like dealing with gentilics*" and then later on still an announcer uses the line "Roll up, roll up! Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, humans and gentilics, prepare to be astounded by Thinkston Technomantic Industries latest incredible invention, the wireless portable telephone!" 'Other sentients' sounds like it's been inserted into the language recently, when in fact it's supposed to feel like something that grew with the language as it developed on account of these people always being there. Hence why I'm having so much trouble finding a word that feels right.

*Gentilics is my placeholder word, which I'm reasonably happy with
SubRosa
If the other races are intelligent, I suggest just using the term sentients. It is a pretty generic term that most readers ought to be able to understand it without any extra explanations.

In the old game Earthdawn all intelligent races were known as Namegivers. The rationale being that only intelligent beings had the power to give names to things. You might use that, or a variation such as Reasoners, Thinkers, Deliberators, etc...

Shadowrun used the term Metahumans for all non-humans. You might go with that too.

treydog
You know- I rather like "ALTS" as well- because it could fit easily into the (U.S. anyway) tendency to throw acronyms at everything.

Alternate
Living
Things-
Sentient
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 15 2013, 12:41 AM) *

If the other races are intelligent, I suggest just using the term sentients. It is a pretty generic term that most readers ought to be able to understand it without any extra explanations.

In the old game Earthdawn all intelligent races were known as Namegivers. The rationale being that only intelligent beings had the power to give names to things. You might use that, or a variation such as Reasoners, Thinkers, Deliberators, etc...

Shadowrun used the term Metahumans for all non-humans. You might go with that too.

Again, the tricky thing with using 'sentient' is that that's a classification that includes humans as well as none-humans. Something like Thinkers or Deliberators is a maybe, but again has the issue of including humans in its definition, and also leaves the rather tricky issue of linguistics that the vast majority of one of the species, Vespic, aren't actually sentient. The problem I have is that we simply don't have an equivalent term in English as we've never needed one, so making one up that fits naturally is something I'm finding pretty tricky.

And Metahumans works fine for Shadowrun seeing as the elves and dwarves and trolls and so forth were all subspecies of Homo Sapiens, but that doesn't really work for this world; the closest evolutionary relatives humans have in it are the askriit, and even the the common ancestry dates all the way back to the Synapsid clade before the askriit diverged off into their own Regurgitata/Ragna-Korocht class (the name varies on whether you ask a human biologist or an askriit one) while us humans evolved from the Mammalia class.

I suspect that I'm probably overthinking things (in fact, considering that I'm even going so far as to work out evolutionary ancestry and animal kingdoms for the species, I'm almost definitely overthinking things) and getting overly concerned over a pretty minor term by this point, and it might be best to go with 'gentilics' which I'm reasonably happy with.
Elisabeth Hollow
The fact that you're getting so worked up over it tells me you want to do a good job.
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Apr 15 2013, 03:32 PM) *

The fact that you're getting so worked up over it tells me you want to do a good job.

Considering that the short piece I'm writing for this world is one I plan to send in to the Aion Award's Annual Science Fiction contest and the novel-length piece I'm writing for it is one I aim to have published, you could certainly say that I want to do a good job, yes.
Elisabeth Hollow
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Apr 15 2013, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Apr 15 2013, 03:32 PM) *

Considering that the short piece I'm writing for this world is one I plan to send in to the Aion Award's Annual Science Fiction contest and the novel-length piece I'm writing for it is one I aim to have published, you could certainly say that I want to do a good job, yes.

There ya go.
mALX

"Them," as opposed to "us."

Burnt Sierra
QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 15 2013, 05:03 PM) *

blink.gif That sounds ominous. Who is "them"? And why do I suddenly have in mind a vast shadowy network of puppeteers pulling strings?
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(Burnt Sierra @ Apr 15 2013, 09:08 PM) *

blink.gif That sounds ominous. Who is "them"? And why do I suddenly have in mind a vast shadowy network of puppeteers pulling strings?

Yeah, I'm worried now...

Also, that's not exactly what I'm going for. I want a word that's sort of like 'them' but the 'them' is specifically non-humans. So far I've managed to work out the sort of term I want in German (god bless those people and their love of compound words) "Nichtmenslichschen", which translates as "Not human people" and into bastardised Welsh as "ponadynol", and then into my fictional askriit language it's "dul-rimmlit" ("not ourselves"). But I've yet to think of something I'm 100% happy with that also fits comfortably into English.
Elisabeth Hollow
Nichtdynols?
mALX
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Apr 15 2013, 04:20 PM) *

Yeah, I'm worried now...

Also, that's not exactly what I'm going for. I want a word that's sort of like 'them' but the 'them' is specifically non-humans. So far I've managed to work out the sort of term I want in German (god bless those people and their love of compound words) "Nichtmenslichschen", which translates as "Not human people" and into bastardised Welsh as "ponadynol", and then into my fictional askriit language it's "dul-rimmlit" ("not ourselves"). But I've yet to think of something I'm 100% happy with that also fits comfortably into English.

Does it have to be so specific? Won't the reader get the idea without it spelled out in detail? "Them," "The Others," "Mortals vs Non-mortals," etc.

Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 15 2013, 09:43 PM) *
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Apr 15 2013, 04:20 PM) *

Yeah, I'm worried now...

Does it have to be so specific? Won't the reader get the idea without it spelled out in detail? "Them," "The Others," "Mortals vs Non-mortals," etc.

Well it's a scene written from the point of view of a character who lives in that world, and it's a commonly employed term they have in their language, so she would use that term to describe them. Essentially, I'm looking for the equivalent of extraterrestrial, only the people I'm describing aren't extraterrestrials as they all evolved on the same planet. If I wanted to use a term that described all four of the planet's sentient species (humans, askriit, vespic and q'relli) then I'd just use 'people', but I need a term that would be used by humans to refer, collectively, to askriit, vespic and q'relli.

The problem with using terms such as 'the others' is that they feel like later additions to the language, introduced from a recent contact, when in fact (with the exception of the vespic) these people have been trading and fighitng with each other for millenia, so the term would have naturally evolved into the language. Compounded with that, I need a word that is also easily recognised as meaning something that isn't human even if it's sentient, hence why I've got rough ideas like 'xenoforms' and 'gentilics'. I'd use xenoforms, but that's already been taken by China Miéville in his Bas-Lag series and considering my own world already has a fair bit in common with his, I'd rather avoid accusations of plagiarism.
ghastley
If you use any term that currently exists in our language, your readers will take it as having the meaning they're familiar with, so I think you're stuck with a made-up word, such as your 'gentilic'. However, you don't want one with a religious overtone, unless the religions follow the racial divides.

You haven't told us if the term is used as one of disrespect, neutral, or what. That might help determine what sort of word would arise. E.g. "Nonnies" or "Nonners", from non-humans, might be used if humans look down on the others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.