Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arena Adventurings and Daggerfall Dealings
Chorrol.com > Elder Scrolls Games > Older Games
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
mALX
QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 29 2016, 05:37 PM) *

I did it! I did it! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I B34T @r3n4 !!!!

Wow. The end was not really that hard at all. I didn't even know the game HAD ended, matter of fact. I am not gonna say what I just did (it would be way too much of a spoiler) but we didn't have to fight Jagar Tharn at all. All you have to do is ... well I don't wanna say.

I almost want to go back to my last save, just to see how tough Tharn is. Because I didn't know it was Tharn, I thought he was a vampire. indifferent.gif

There is a very primitive cut-scene at the end, and then the game's opening music plays. So here are some pics I just took of the final, 1994 technological feat.

Firstly, we found this gem, after running right by the guy I thought was a vampire. RG1 had a special key by this point, which she literally found by luck in some locked cell, without too much exploration.

After grabbing the red gem, this is how the cut-scene started.

Then this

Woo woo psychadelic

And then Jagar Tharn shows up at the end of the cut-scene, but it never that he's just been defeated. laugh.gif I can't be the only gamer out here who was confused by this. evillol.gif

EDIT: Never mind. The first cut-scene must have glitched. I tried it again, and here are some more pix. Tried fighting Tharn by the way, but the guy is way too tough, as he should be. But that's okay. I just beat TES 1: Arena for the second time with my little trick.

Another psychedelic pic

Jagar Tharn DIES

And then this guy shows up (don't know who it is, but he mentions my characters' name).

And then Burger King shows up. I mean Uriel Septim VII shows up to greet my character. Fun stuff.

I almost feel like jumping into Daggerfall right now, but I need to unwind with some Oblivion. I'll definitely get to Daggerfall this weekend though.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!! Awesome, Renee the Eternal Champion !!!!!! WOOOOOOOT !!!!!!

Renee
w00t yrself, mALX. smile.gif

I did roll a new t00n in Daggerfall a few days ago, he is a Nord Warrior from Skyrim (real creative, I know). His name is Mann Buubz, ha ha, and he'll pretty much be my test guy.

I have had some technical problems with getting my PC-style Xbox controller to work in this game, specifically with weapon swings. But I'm working with Turija over at Beth's forums, because he's telling me he's gotten one to work in the past. Otherwise, I'd be stuck with trying to use my controller and mouse for combat, which would get pretty awkward since I game while sitting up in bed, rather than at a desk like most of y'all.

mALX
QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 5 2016, 09:33 AM) *

w00t yrself, mALX. smile.gif

I did roll a new t00n in Daggerfall a few days ago, he is a Nord Warrior from Skyrim (real creative, I know). His name is Mann Buubz, ha ha, and he'll pretty much be my test guy.

I have had some technical problems with getting my PC-style Xbox controller to work in this game, specifically with weapon swings. But I'm working with Turija over at Beth's forums, because he's telling me he's gotten one to work in the past. Otherwise, I'd be stuck with trying to use my controller and mouse for combat, which would get pretty awkward since I game while sitting up in bed, rather than at a desk like most of y'all.

You could get that Khajiit mod with the 6 breasts and play one called "Manny Buubz"

mirocu
Alright, alright, girls. Behave yourselves cool.gif

Nice to see your progression, Renee. I hope you´ll enjoy Daggerfall smile.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 5 2016, 10:04 AM) *

Alright, alright, girls. Behave yourselves cool.gif

Nice to see your progression, Renee. I hope you´ll enjoy Daggerfall smile.gif

laugh.gif

Renee
If there's anybody else out there like me, who prefers (or requires) a controller for Daggerfall instead of pure mouse + keys, and you've been having trouble getting weapon swings to work, Turija over at Beth's forums can help. He can help all three of the gamers out there (out of millions, ha ha) who have hit a wall here.

With his X-padder profile?, all you'll need to do is download the file, and then unzip the archive, and then put the profile he's provided into X-padder. You'll need to hold down the left trigger while moving the right analog stick around, but otherwise it works just like moving the mouse around, in regards to weapon swings.

Renee
Well, Maan Buubz just got out of Privateer's Hold ... Daggerfall's opening dungeon is much easier than Arena's, I must say. I can still visualize the entire thing, which is good because in the future when I make new people I won't spend hours getting stuck.

But Maan just traveled to Daggerfall City. Problem is, it's night time, and this means you can't get in the city unless you sneak in somehow. indifferent.gif Maan began walking around the exterior of the city walls, but he got attacked by some sort of specter-looking undead. So of course he ran. He ran until he found a corner he could cut (the specter would probably just keep following in a straight line, if DF is like newer Beth games) and then he found one of the city gates. He crouched in front of this gate. I don't know if crouching is the same as sneaking in later games, but I'll try this, rather than have that specter show up again! Began waiting in real-time, but time moves slower in this game (and in Arena) than in vanilla Oblivion or Skyrim. So I tried to have him loiter here for 3 hours.

Guards do not like loiterers though, so he's now been arrested. Holy crap, he's now standing TRIAL for his "crime". laugh.gif He doesn't really care that he's been arrested though, it's safer in jail than it is outside the city, with that weird specter thing flying around. ph34r.gif

He chose "guilty". I assume they took some gold from him, but he found a lot of gold in Privateer, so no worries.
mirocu
So you can actually choose to "loiter" instead of "waiting" in Daggerfall?
SubRosa
Arrested and in jail before even getting in the city? Are you sure you are not playing Khareem of Wheet? biggrin.gif
mirocu
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 9 2016, 05:44 PM) *

Arrested and in jail before even getting in the city? Are you sure you are not playing Khareem of Wheet? biggrin.gif

PWWWNED!!! rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif
Decrepit
QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 9 2016, 09:47 AM) *

<snip>

So I tried to have him loiter here for 3 hours.

Guards do not like loiterers though, so he's now been arrested. Holy crap, he's now standing TRIAL for his "crime". laugh.gif He doesn't really care that he's been arrested though, it's safer in jail than it is outside the city, with that weird specter thing flying around. ph34r.gif

He chose "guilty". I assume they took some gold from him, but he found a lot of gold in Privateer, so no worries.

Boy am I biting my tongue on this one. biggrin.gif Don't worry, Mann will learn. Glad to know he's out and about in Iliac Bay . . . assuming he's not in jail again.
Renee
Yeah, I don't know what's gonna happen with Mann Buubz. I get the sense that he's somewhat of a bad boy. laugh.gif On his Status sheet, it already says "In the eyes of the law of Daggerfall, you are undependable." Uh oh.

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 9 2016, 10:59 AM) *

So you can actually choose to "loiter" instead of "waiting" in Daggerfall?

There are actually three different ways to wait in this game: Loiter, Wait a While, or Wait until Fully Healed. In general, all the different options I've seen so far are simply staggering. Options, choices options, choices ...

Daggerfall's graphics are worse than Arena's though, that's one thing I've never seen anybody mention before. Not that it bothers me. biggrin.gif

And this is gonna sound dumb, but I don't think I can choose what my character looks like, the way I could in Arena. Small detail, but I liked having the choice to pick how Renee Gade I is supposed to look in that game. Trivial matter though, in comparison with the nerdgasm I had earlier today after getting out of Privateer's Hold.
mirocu
I fully expect you to post pixies along with your updates from now on, ms Gade... wink.gif
ghastley
QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 9 2016, 06:35 PM) *

And this is gonna sound dumb, but I don't think I can choose what my character looks like, the way I could in Arena. Small detail, but I liked having the choice to pick how Renee Gade I is supposed to look in that game. Trivial matter though, in comparison with the nerdgasm I had earlier today after getting out of Privateer's Hold.

The body is fixed for the race/gender, but then you have a choice of heads. Usually around ten of them. I did the same for my Orcs.

I don't recall if Arena had adjustable clothing, but Daggerfall had multiple styles for an individual item. A shirt might have an optional vest over it, or buttoned/loose, or both.
Renee
Oh I was talking specifically about faces / hairstyles. So we can change this in DF eh? I wonder how. I didn't really look around much during char. creation, so maybe there's something I missed.

Arena does not have changeable clothing, but I did notice Daggerfall does.

mirocu: I did try to take some in-game pics, but Fraps doesn't seem to work with Daggerfall for screenshots. So yeah, if anybody else knows how to get some DF pics, I'll try something else. Cripes, maybe Beth gave DF its own screenshot button, but I've been too overwhelmed to notice which one it is.

Decrepit
QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 10 2016, 11:28 AM) *

mirocu: I did try to take some in-game pics, but Fraps doesn't seem to work with Daggerfall for screenshots. So yeah, if anybody else knows how to get some DF pics, I'll try something else. Cripes, maybe Beth gave DF its own screenshot button, but I've been too overwhelmed to notice which one it is.

For DF screenshots:

If installed via Daggerfall Setup.exe as, in my opinion, it ought to have been.

1) Create a "CAPTURE" folder (minus quotes) under your main Daggerfall (or whatever you named it) directory.

2) In-game, press CTRL-F5.

3) Return to the "CAPTURE" directory to find your image(s).

I do not know if this method works with non Daggerfall Setup.exe installs.

ALTERNATIVE:

1) Create a "PICS" folder (minus quotes) under your main Daggerfall (or whatever you named it) directory.

2) In-game, press "/".

3) Return to the "PICS" folder to find your image, or images assuming this approach allows multiple captures.

Note that I found the ALTERNATIVE on the internet and do not use it myself. I believe it should work on non Daggerfall Setup.exe installations, and likely Setup installs as well, but can't swear to it.
ghastley
It's a while since I did any, but I seem to recall that if you take a second screenshot, it overlays the first, and you need to rename the file to avoid that. Not a big deal, if you run in windowed mode, and can alt+tab out of the game.

However, if alt or tab are used by the game, it may process those during this procedure. It's usually safest to save after a screenshot, so you can resume properly after leaving and rejoining.

As Decrepit suggests, there is a DosBox screen capture, and a Daggerfall one. IIRC the DosBox key combo can be changed to avoid conflict with the game, and Ctrl+F5 may be the default for that.

Edit: Googling confirms this, and I discovered that DosBox also has Ctrl+Alt+F5 to turn on video recording as AVI. It's not clear what resolution/framerate is used.
Renee
Awesome, you guys rock. cake.gif Hey, I will try these suggestions next time I'm gaming DF.
Lopov
Well at least Maan got into the city. laugh.gif

I had a character in Skyrim that refused to pay gold to Riften guards and they didn't let him in. But then he attacked them and they of course dragged him to town jail.
mirocu
QUOTE(Lopov @ Oct 12 2016, 05:02 PM) *

I had a character in Skyrim that refused to pay gold to Riften guards and they didn't let him in. But then he attacked them and they of course dragged him to town jail.

Hey, clever laugh.gif
Renee
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 11 2016, 09:05 AM) *

1) Create a "CAPTURE" folder (minus quotes) under your main Daggerfall (or whatever you named it) directory.

2) In-game, press CTRL-F5.

3) Return to the "CAPTURE" directory to find your image(s).

I do not know if this method works with non Daggerfall Setup.exe installs.

Yes, this works, and I did not have to create a Capture folder, the game must have installed one automatically. The path is a little different from the way you've got it in your game though, it goes: Daggerfall folder > DOSBox-0.74 folder > Capture folder. I also just found an option to record my own video. Neato.

Let me ask this though: I am doing my first quest okay? And the log note says I'm supposed to go to a shop in some other town, steal a shortsword which has been stored in this shop, and then drop off a note. Most of this is fine, except I don't see any note in my character's inventory, so I can't drop it off.

Guess I'll try going back to the original town for now. Let's see what happens.

EDIT: the quest worked. Yah. Mann Buubz just collected his first 313 gold pieces. smile.gif

EDIT 2: HOLY crap ..... the guy who Mann stole the shortsword from managed to send Mann a note, basically saying "if you bring that stolen shortsword back to me, I will give you some turquoise Holy crap. Did not expect that. I bet this game is full of surprises like this.

EDIT 3: Now Mann Buubz got arrested for vagrancy! laugh.gif Long story, but in his next quest he's supposed to find some missing woman. He was trying to break some lady's door down, because it's rumored this lady knows where the missing woman is. But he got noticed and the guards just arrested Mann.
Renee
Nice! Mann was just PERMANENTLY banned from Daggerfall City. laugh.gif That is just amazing to me!
mirocu
QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 25 2016, 01:32 AM) *

Nice! Mann was just PERMANENTLY banned from Daggerfall City. laugh.gif That is just amazing to me!

You can actually be banned from an entire city?? blink.gif
mALX
QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 24 2016, 07:32 PM) *

SPEW !!!! That is hilarious !!!!

Renee
mirocu, you have to try some Daggerfall. Once you get past the initial learning curve (a lot of its controls are different from Arena, etc.) it is quite an addicting RPG.

Lopov
Can you still b34t the game if banned from the City? laugh.gif
ghastley
If I recall correctly, being banned doesn't keep you out. You may have to levitate over the walls in the middle of the night, but that's a valid tactic. kvright.gif

Renee
Lopov: I probably will never b34t Daggerfall, at least not for several years. It seems like there's so much to do in this game. Mann Buubz is nothing really, just a stupid oaf who does dumb things (meanwhile, it's really mean who's doing dumb things, because I'm not used to how DF works yet). The reason he got banned from DF City though was because he was trying to bash somebody's door down with his battleaxe.

That is what is amazing to me--in Arena or Oblivion, nobody would care if you're trying to break into some house, they only care after we break in (and get noticed). In Skyrim, messing with a locked door near a guard will cause them to take action, but they won't arrest us right away. But Daggerfall catches the pc in the act of committing this crime. And after Mann was placed before the court, he had the chance to plead Guilty or Not Guilty. This time, he chose Not Guilty. Then there was a choice to Tell a Lie, or "Show Evidence" or something like this. Mann chose to tell a lie. After that, he was banned from DFC for life! laugh.gif

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 25 2016, 12:13 PM) *

If I recall correctly, being banned doesn't keep you out. You may have to levitate over the walls in the middle of the night, but that's a valid tactic. kvright.gif

Nah, it's okay. Right now Mann Buubz is just moving from one village or town to the next. There's so many of them in this game.

My next character's gonna be named Sheeza Hawty by the way. She'll be a dark elf sorceress, and will have more of a backstory / roleplay than Mann Buubz.

Renee
I rolled a nu t00n today (it was raining) say hello to Sheeza Hawty. She will be my dark elf sorceress. I don't know why I want to play a dark elf sorceress (out of all possible choices) but I just do. The idea just jumped out at me.

Here is a pretty nighttime picture.

Hey, hello there!

Whoops, wrong room! huh.gif

(hope there isn't a problem with that last one. I used imgur's blemish tool best I could).
mirocu
Oh, yeah. I do see the appeal of Daggerfall now. Thanks, Renee hehe.gif
SubRosa
new t00n! I love your names. smile.gif

Looks like Sheeza found the right room! hubbahubba.gif
mALX
QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 27 2016, 10:24 PM) *

I rolled a nu t00n today (it was raining) say hello to Sheeza Hawty. She will be my dark elf sorceress. I don't know why I want to play a dark elf sorceress (out of all possible choices) but I just do. The idea just jumped out at me.

Here is a pretty nighttime picture.

Hey, hello there!

Whoops, wrong room! huh.gif

(hope there isn't a problem with that last one. I used imgur's blemish tool best I could).

BWAAHAA!!! I love it !!! I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out combat in these early TES games - got killed by two rats in the tutorial dungeon so many times I gave up!

mirocu
Jump into Arena today, first time for the season smile.gif

Dindu much. Saved an heir to the Lady of Dunstad Grove, sold a Mark and slep at an inn. Just to get back on track so to speak. Boy, do I wish those Absorb and Shield spells had some sort of visual counter so you could see how much remained.
Renee
QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 30 2016, 03:01 PM) *

Boy, do I wish those Absorb and Shield spells had some sort of visual counter so you could see how much remained.

I know what you mean. There's no way to know how much health each Shield spell has, until you start taking damage again. In some situations, it's best to just recast these sort of spells, like right in the middle of some battle? Mm hmm.
Decrepit
Daggerfall City Fighters Guild sent my avatar on a mission to dispose of a wayward atronach holed up in Kingsly Tower. The tower was inhabited by humanoid fighters and casters of various sorts, ancient liches, and vampires (but thankfully no Vampire Ancients). These posed little problem except for when encountered en masse as occurred a number of times. This particular dungeon complex was tricky to navigate, containing one of those huge "honeycomb" sections fairly near its entrance/exit. Was a challenge to find his way out once business was finished. Not that it mattered. He had set an anchor at the exit, so could escape in a heartbeat should he so choose. He considers it a matter of pride to find exits without recourse to magic, time allowing as it was in this case, so opted to hoof it. Made a few wrong guesses, none serious enough to throw in the tower.

(My avatar continues to delay his recovery of an important valuable object, not being able to decide which of several competing factions to deliver it to. It doesn't help that my favorite web article on the matter seems to have disappeared.)
mirocu
Having an anchor spell would be useful in Arena too although getting out of a dungeon isn´t too time consuming. Especially not with a spell that can destroy walls.

Dunno if I´ve asked this before, but is your Daggerfall decrepit avatar an ancestor to your Oblivion decrepit avatar? laugh.gif
ghastley
I played a bit of Daggerfall this weekend. I couldn't remember what my older characters had been up to when I parked them, so I started a fresh one.

Silanu is much the same as her Oblivion and Skyrim incarnations, except that she doesn't have a riding crop of shock in this game. Still a white haired (mod) generously proportioned (mod) Dunmer (not a mod!), who doesn't use anything but leather - which is a useful character generation option in Daggerfall. She's doing Short Sword, Backstabbing and related skills, and has only just reached level three and the first main quest dungeons.

She's finding a huge number of bras in random loot. I think the game is trying to tell her something. biggrin.gif

Over the holidays, I may make another attempt to get Morrowind running. When I tried under Windows 8, I didn't get a mouse cursor, which made the game rather difficult. I've "upgraded" that laptop to Win 10, so there might be a chance this time. Any guidance?
mirocu
QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 21 2016, 03:25 PM) *

Any guidance?

Yeah.

Roll back to Win 7 wink.gif
SubRosa
I have Windows 8 on my tablet. That has taught me to never use anything but Windows 7. biggrin.gif
ghastley
My desktop has Win 7 Pro, but the laptop came with Win 8, and 10 is better than that only because 8 was so bad.

If I can't get Morrowind to work, I may take Daggerfall on vacation instead. Silanu needs the work. Most of the modding tools for DF need to run in DosBox, but that's not too bad.

Edit and change of subject: Silanu did a "Fetch the heirloom" quest for Lady Bridwell and had to try and pick up a ring that must have been all of 10 total pixels, without the aid of a cross-hair. And it took her about twenty attempts to get out of Scourg Barrow without falling through the exit stairs. Are these old games challenging, or what? tongue.gif
Renee
C'mon now, Windows 8 is fine for me. tongue.gif I actually like the dual-interface thing (with the tiles) though most of the time I use the normal desktop.

Dang there are bras in this game? Nice. I haven't played Daggerfall in about 2 weeks, but I'll get back into it eventually.

ghastley
Fired up Morrowind under 10 and it's better than 8. It starts windowed, so I lose a bit of screen to the border, until I find how to turn that off. Under Win 8 it stretched the 4:3 to fit the 16:9 and distorted everything. I believe it's possible to play in native resolution if you know where to set it.

Learning the controls, especially combat, always takes a time. But I know to save often, so I can go do silly things to find out how it works.

I need a better body mod, maybe Better Bodies, maybe Roberts. Then I'll think about installing the CS and doing other things.
Decrepit
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 21 2016, 01:47 AM) *

Dunno if I´ve asked this before, but is your Daggerfall decrepit avatar an ancestor to your Oblivion decrepit avatar? laugh.gif

Nay, they are not the same person. Though I've never been given permission to relate much of it, my Cyrodiilic Decrepit Avatar has a fairly well defined pre Imperial City Prison history. I have not been told all. Nor can I be sure everything he tells me is legit. He was certainly alive when events in the Iliac Bay unfolded. But unlike that prior champion, he was not a "friend and ally" of the emperor and indeed never set eyes on him (except via artwork) until their fated meeting in the depths of the Imperial City Prison at the onset of the Crisis.
Renee
I am doing my first dungeon crawl in Daggerfall right now. I see what everybody means, the sound effects in this game are creepy and frightening.

Edit: Wow. Sheeza Hawty just bolted. Got the hell out of that dungeon she was in. She saw some sort of wolfman-looking monster. She had NO inclination to go against that thing, whatever it was.

I'm switching to Mann Buubz's game. biggrin.gif
mirocu
QUOTE(Renee @ Nov 23 2016, 10:41 PM) *

I am doing my first dungeon crawl in Daggerfall right now. I see what everybody means, the sound effects in this game are creepy and frightening.

It was pretty atmospheric in Arena too smile.gif

Renee
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 23 2016, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Renee @ Nov 23 2016, 10:41 PM) *

It was pretty atmospheric in Arena too smile.gif

You're right, those first few tries in Arena's tutorial dungeon especially were scary. Something about Daggerfall though goes beyond. It's because there's more sound-effects, and more of everything, I guess.

Renee
27th of Morningstar -- So Mann Buubz is supposed to be accompanying a shopkeeper he met to an inn, in a town called Newwick. He's got 7 days to do this task, and he'll earn somewhere over 300 gold. He gets to the town in 3 days and I'm thinking this is just as easy as Arena's town quests, but then, a twist.

Turns out, the man being escorted is part of the thieves guild, and so this guy from the TG comes up and attacks my character initially, but then he stops and says his "attack is meant for Bedistyr Wicksly" (the shopkeeper who's a TG member). And the game actually gave me a choice whether to protect the shopkeeper or not.

Well duh, of course he's going to be protected. This is good too. Mann Buubz's reputation is pretty [censored] because of all the foibles he's made. viking.gif

mirocu
Wow, cool twist in the mini quest there smile.gif
Renee
I have picked up Daggerfall on this Memorial Day Monday. smile.gif Rolled a new Redguard guy named Rowan Tushorrgh, who I think is some sort of fisherman. Rushed him through the tutorial dungeon, and he left the place with a few chain armor pieces, a few leather armor, a steel claymore which he really seems to like, and a few miscellaneous items.

Somebody said a few months ago that unlike Arena, Daggerfall's wilderness actually does connect with its map. In other words, it is possible to walk to various locations on the map. So that's what Rowan just managed to do. He found a town called Gothway Garden. Just bought and sold, spent the night in some inn, etc.

ghastley
Wow, you got out of Privateer's hold without the Ebony Dagger! Meaning you didn't get one, because you would not have left it behind. Most people can't get past the imps without it. ohmy.gif Does a Steel Claymore affect Imps? Iron stuff doesn't, but steel might.

Claudia would like to meet Rowan. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.