Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General RPG Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Vital
Don't know if any of you have heard of this, but I just saw it and well... Wow. If it's as good as it looks and sounds then it'll be an amazing game, imo. The game has a kickstar page which already has over £280,000 out of a goal of £300,000 with 28 days to go. So it's pretty safe to say it'll get the money to be made.

So, what is Kingdom Come: Deliverance? Basically it's an open-world RPG similar in style to a TES game. However it is set in 15th century Europe, so no elves or argonians etc (one of the downsides imo). There is more realism; the combat looks amazing and historically accurate, there is a need to eat and sleep and food can even go rotten. There's hunting, side-quests, large-scale battles. Much like in a TES game you can be who you want (except an elven mage). There is also the ability to play a bard-like character and be less combat focused, using your silver tongue to solve situations, which I think could be super fun.

There are tons of other cool features and stuff. Watch the video! The kickstarter is being done to prove interest in the game. If they get £300,000 they will have plenty of investors and publishers, if not, well then there wouldn't have been enough interest in the game anyway. I personally think it looks awesome. What are your thoughts?
mirocu
Sounds like a cool game. Think I might wanna keep an eye on this one smile.gif

You get it first, Vital, and then you can tell us how to overcome all the bugs rollinglaugh.gif
Kiln
Hope they can make it. Sounds like an awesome change from the now generic magic and dragons RPG's that saturate the market.
SubRosa
It sounded interesting until I looked at the link. It is yet another game where you are forced to play the character they give you, right down to your name, gender, and I presume appearance. No thanks.
Kiln
If it is half as good as they're pitching it to be, I'll get over it.
Vital
I haven't seen anything about character creation so I can't really comment on this. I know appearance isn't locked because in a blog they mentioned the difficulty of marketing a game without a defined character face. I'm thinking gender is locked, which for females is definitely a downside. I like to think this is down to keeping it historically accurate (as the game is based around real events), but I'm not so sure.

I agree that it takes away from the game if you play a character they created for you, that's one of the main reasons why I continue to play TES. You truly can be who you want.

Edit: I agree with Kiln. As much as character individuality adds to games. Some of the ideas they are discussing really make me want to play this. Enough to get over being set a character.
Kiln
Yup, unfortunately females had basically no rights to do anything during the middle ages. There were female knights but it was very rare and they still basically had no say in anything.

Vital
QUOTE(Kiln @ Jan 24 2014, 11:38 AM) *

Yup, unfortunately females had basically no rights to do anything during the middle ages. There were female knights but it was very rare and they still basically had no say in anything.

The historical accuracy this game claims to have/aim for was one of the things that got me interested. I love medieval history and I think it would be a refreshing change.

I feel like this game is the game the devs want to play, but they also want to listen to fans, who for the most part will be like-minded. Still not gonna read too much into the hype, I watched the video and that's it. Just wanted to share this with you guys and see your thoughts.
mirocu
According to the footage it really looks awesome and at this point I only have one question: WILL IT REQUIRE STEAM!????
jack cloudy
Ok, mark me up for very interested. But without a credit-card I can't pledge so I'll just have to keep an eye out and see how it turns out.

Regarding customization: From what they describe the background is fixed, but where you go from there is more open. Regardless, if the combat system is as awesome as it looks in the trailer without being a major chore to achieve minimal proficiency or a glorified qte, I can manage limited customization. Oh, and if the pc can grow an epic beard/moustache, I can definitely manage.

The pledge bonuses mention a boxed copy but as we've seen lately, boxed anything does not mean Steam-free. Watch and wait on that end I guess.
Vital
Not sure if it will require steam. I'm sure lots more info will come out in a few days. They achieved their initial kickstarter goal in 36 hrs, which is all they need to get the funding from their investor(s). It's also set for consoles, so I don't know if that would affect if it's on steam (I only use consoles sad.gif ).

I just love the look of all those extra features: Various layers of clothing/armour makes it much easier to for the character to look unique, the survival aspects appeal to me, the combat system and the variety of weapons and the different benefits/downsides that come with each weapon add more layers to combat, and make your skill choices matter.
mirocu
It sounds like the MQ isn“t forced upon me, or did I miss something?
Vital
No the MQ will wait for you/can be avoided.

One thing I've heard is that the game is being made in three 'chapters' that will be released about 9 months between each other. Each one will be about 20-30 dollars, so it works out roughly same as a normal game. Again this is most likely due to the skepticism of publishers.

Also the focus is quality over quantity, with the idea being a few unique, large dungeons is better than more small, generic ones. It's set in medieval europe so I can't imagine many ruins like those in TES games. Still I would love to spend my time hunting and bounty hunting in those forests...
Vital
Quick update for all female gamers:

One of their stretch goals for the kickstarter (they have already reached the target for the game to be made) involves female characters. Not sure in what shape or form this will be introduced but it's been mentioned...
jack cloudy
So I just found out they've got a youtube place with more videos.
click here to see

I'm looking through it now and is it bad that I literally cheered over the horse animations? I don't know why, but I just loved how it bent its head into the direction it turned when walking.

Edit: Ok, watch the first video. Seriously. They talk about how they used real world locales to build their own and it is very interesting stuff to see.
Renee
QUOTE(Vital @ Jan 23 2014, 03:14 PM) *

So, what is Kingdom Come: Deliverance? Basically it's an open-world RPG similar in style to a TES game. However it is set in 15th century Europe, so no elves or argonians etc (one of the downsides imo). There is more realism; the combat looks amazing and historically accurate, there is a need to eat and sleep and food can even go rotten. There's hunting, side-quests, large-scale battles. Much like in a TES game you can be who you want (except an elven mage). There is also the ability to play a bard-like character and be less combat focused, using your silver tongue to solve situations, which I think could be super fun.

Whoa. huh.gif This sounds interesting.

Decrepit
I watched several (pre?) alpha tryouts of this game a month or two ago. It looks very promising! Was impressed with the combat. For once it seemed quite realistic, at least compared to other medieval warfare based games. Lots of other potential goodness too. I'll be keeping my eye on it.

The most recent post on this thread being relatively old, ya might want to search YouTube for the latest videos on the game.
Renee
It sounds neat. But as SubRosa says, if we can't create our own character, that's a tough sell for me at this point. I do want to see some vids of this game though.

Okay, here we go. Wow, it looks fantastic. Cripes. I want it.

They don't allow a pre-created female? sad.gif
SubRosa
Seeing real longswording in a game is wonderful. I wish the Elder Scrolls games would do this.
mALX

That was Awesome! Yes, that would be worth doing 1st person combat instead of 3rd person for sure! The E3 trailer was amazing; talk about immersion!

Renee
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 20 2015, 12:18 AM) *

Seeing real longswording in a game is wonderful. I wish the Elder Scrolls games would do this.

I think it'll happen. Looks like KC: D has definitely raised the bar.

Vital
QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 20 2015, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 20 2015, 12:18 AM) *

I think it'll happen. Looks like KC: D has definitely raised the bar.

Only if it makes $$$
Renee
Even if it doesn't make money, it's hard to ignore how stunning that looks. I believe this sort of gameplay will become sort of a standard. Not that Elder Scrolls will copy Kingdom Come exactly, but you know what I mean... I'm having trouble articulating it.

mALX
QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 20 2015, 10:35 AM) *

Even if it doesn't make money, it's hard to ignore how stunning that looks. I believe this sort of gameplay will become sort of a standard. Not that Elder Scrolls will copy Kingdom Come exactly, but you know what I mean... I'm having trouble articulating it.

That is smart thinking there, Renee; I hope you are right! Maybe the next TES game will have it !!!!

Renee
QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 20 2015, 02:59 PM) *

That is smart thinking there, Renee; I hope you are right! Maybe the next TES game will have it !!!!

I am just thinking how historically, sometimes somebody will provide something which is technologically-advanced (or whatever), yet whoever comes up with that idea might not make any money off of it, for whatever reason. Like for instance recently I learned that a lot of the original companies who provided broadband, streaming video, fiber-optic networks (etc.) laid all of this out in late '90s into the new millenium, and some of these companies didn't stay in business, did not make a profit, or whatever, despite the fact that all this stuff is now regularly used today.

It's the same thing, really. Even if KC: D doesn't go anywhere, assuming they're the only one who's that advanced with their combat / visuals, it's hard for other studios to see that and not think "that'll go nowhere". Then again, I have no idea what other studios are up to, because I rarely look at vids for other games. *whistles*

mALX
QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 21 2015, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 20 2015, 02:59 PM) *

I am just thinking how historically, sometimes somebody will provide something which is technologically-advanced (or whatever), yet whoever comes up with that idea might not make any money off of it, for whatever reason. Like for instance recently I learned that a lot of the original companies who provided broadband, streaming video, fiber-optic networks (etc.) laid all of this out in late '90s into the new millenium, and some of these companies didn't stay in business, did not make a profit, or whatever, despite the fact that all this stuff is now regularly used today.

It's the same thing, really. Even if KC: D doesn't go anywhere, assuming they're the only one who's that advanced with their combat / visuals, it's hard for other studios to see that and not think "that'll go nowhere". Then again, I have no idea what other studios are up to, because I rarely look at vids for other games. *whistles*

Right now that company is looking for investors just to make the game in the first place, it is the perfect timing for someone like Bethesda to step in with funding and negotiate for a percentage of ownership in it.

Renee
QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 21 2015, 01:56 PM) *

Right now that company is looking for investors just to make the game in the first place,

I'm sure they'll be fine. smile.gif

Decrepit
Current state-of-the-game from the horse's mouth.
Decrepit
KCD has entered BETA. Here is the developer discussing the current state-of-the-game, what is and isn't in the beta, what is (theoretically) yet to come, and so on. Lots of good info!
Acadian
Thanks for the update, Decrepit. It looks great. I'm ever so encouraged any time I see some competition for TES to help keep Bethesda off their laurels. The graphics look wonderful and some of the ideas and mechanics are encouraging.

It looks like it may certainly have the 'medieval' part down well - and that is its objective. I do go exclusively for 'medieval fantasy' though so I needs the elves and magicks and such. tongue.gif And like SubRosa, can no longer go for a game that issues me a character instead of letting me create my own.
Decrepit
QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 12 2016, 08:41 AM) *

Thanks for the update, Decrepit. It looks great. I'm ever so encouraged any time I see some competition for TES to help keep Bethesda off their laurels. The graphics look wonderful and some of the ideas and mechanics are encouraging.

It looks like it may certainly have the 'medieval' part down well - and that is its objective. I do go exclusively for 'medieval fantasy' though so I needs the elves and magicks and such. tongue.gif And like SubRosa, can no longer go for a game that issues me a character instead of letting me create my own.

These sentiments mirror my own, except that as both a lover of fantasy and a history buff I'm perfectly okay with a medieval RPG that sticks to supposed reality and foregoes such things as magic and 'exotic' races. But yeah, being forced to play as a pre-defined character with little or no customization is a huge deterrent, possibly a lease breaker. Were I to some day buy KCD it will be with the understanding that it is a different sort of game than TES and not a direct competitor/alternative. The whole thing is sort of beside the point for me in any case. My primary computer approaches the six year mark. I can't see it having the horsepower to run KCD with sufficient graphics detail to satisfy me, if at all. Nor do I expect to have enough disposable 'luxury' money to assemble a new rig until next year at the earliest.
Renee
I'm pretty excited for this game. As much as I love Elder Scrolls, it would be cool to try something closer to Earth. I like how they're spending a lot of time making this game. The anticipation builds.

Decrepit
Made another of my infrequent searches for new Kingdom Come: Deliverance info at YouTube. Couple of items of interest...

A developers video from mid July. Lots of emphasis on the armor system, which is shaping up to be very nice indeed. Also talk of RPG and survival elements.

A brief Gamescom 2016 video. No narration, but some interesting footage. Emphasis on combat.
Kane
I saw a video for this on YouTube over the summer, and it looks really really cool. Hopefully it doesn't go the route of No Man's Sky... wink.gif
Renee
Oooh I missed the vids Decrepit posted until now. Wow, they really put an emphasis on combat moves. I wonder if it's only first-person game? I don't mind if it is, just wondering though.

I just read about No Man's Sky, it does sound like a mess. It mostly seems to be the online stuff which is glitchy though. Deliverance won't be online, will it?
Decrepit
Here's another brief Kingdom Come: Deliverance developers video, from early September. More interesting weapon/armor/combat goodness.
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Sep 30 2016, 05:22 AM) *

Here's another brief Kingdom Come: Deliverance developers video, from early September. More interesting weapon/armor/combat goodness.

I noticed a lot of their gameplay vids were in 1st person (with a very awkwardly placed left hand in camera view) and wondered if they were playing first person by choice or if there was no 3rd person going to be available.

Like Acadlan; I am not a big fan of games that create my character and storyline (and personality) for me (aka "Witcher," which also offers excellent graphics).

That said, I found it extremely interesting how they tested the armor and weapons for realism!

Seriously, I would like to give this game a free trial; but don't see me spending the same or more as I would for a finished game from a known studio like Bethesda just to be given the opportunity to beta test their game for them.

I noticed when they went Beta that they told a large group of their "kick-starter" investors (On film) that what they have donated (although they admit it was well over their goal for publishing the game) was not enough to beta-test for them; so if they want an unfinished copy of the game to test for them that the investor needs to give an additional 59.95 US Dollars (which is the cost of most finished games on launch).

I have always been leery of anyone in the "Kick-starters" site (not just because of all the scammers on that site) - but because; even the legit ones are a very risky "investment" that is very likely to never see a return. May as well call it a donation; and it isn't even a tax deductible one.

Big companies like Microsoft; Sony; gaming companies; etc - they are the ones these upcoming game developers should be turning to in order to fund their projects. If these small game developers can't get funding through a major company who is in the business of funding and distributing games; and has to turn to individual donations - something isn't right about what they are projecting.

Like Decrepit; I suspect in this case, those fantastic graphics they are showing in the previews would use a whopping amount of power that the average computer player may not have access to. If they can't make it for the masses, then it won't sell enough to cover the investments in it, and may never make it off the ground.

And between the cost of distribution; real advertising (not Facebook) they may never make enough sales to recover what they put into this. That, and without a real backer I doubt all those kick-starter investors who will be expecting a finished/polished game in return for their support are going to get one. What I saw in those gameplay vids was very rough, they still have a long way to go to perfect that game.

Renee
Dang. Well that sucks if it's true, mALX. Hmm. I think maybe they avoid turning to big-money investors because those are the sort of investors who will tell the smaller kick-starters what they can and cannot do, if Big Money gets involved? Know what I mean? They try to stay as independent as possible, to retain their freedom of artistry (whatever). I don't know. I don't know much about how it all works.

I do know what you mean about pre-written stories & pre-made characters though. I've never played Witcher, but I used to play a lot of Tomb Raider. Although I could go back to totally linear / pre-written storylines for the nostalgia & guaranteed action, Bethesda has definitely spoiled me!

Decrepit
Another update, this one a brand spanking new progress VLog from the developer. Now sure I'll ever acquire this title, but I certainly admire much about it. (Even should I have a change of heart/wallet, I highly suspect my current PC is nowhere near powerful enough to do it justice.) What would be neat is for Beth to coordinate with these guys when it comes time to develop TES:VI. If nothing else I'd love to see Elder Scrolls titles with quality realistic melee combat, or as realistic as is possible considering that a Nirn warrior has to deal with such things as ghosts and ogres in addition to the humanoid opponents a Kingdom Come combatant expects to battle. I also like the layered clothing Kingdom Come implements, as seen in earlier videos. (Padding under armor and so on.) I've long wondered why no modder has thought to add this to Oblivion. (Yes, I know there is at least one "undies underneath" mod, but as I recall it's not geared toward realism as the Kingdom Come clothing system is.)
mALX

I'd say all that optimization they are having to do is going to take it from the Awesome game it looks like now to losing all the great look, feel of visuals; and inter-actives will be turned to statics, etc. verysad.gif

SubRosa
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 9 2016, 08:23 AM) *

I also like the layered clothing Kingdom Come implements, as seen in earlier videos. (Padding under armor and so on.) I've long wondered why no modder has thought to add this to Oblivion.

This is in Fallout 4. In that game armor comes in two layers. There is a base layer which is usually a single item that comprises pants, shoes, and shirt. Then over that there is an armor layer, which has separate pieces for each arm, each leg, head, and chest. So you can wear a post office uniform, and leather armor on one arm, metal on the other, etc...
Renee
Yes that is true, Fallout 4 has layered clothes, which means the next Elder Scrolls will probably have them as well.

I wonder which game will come out first though: Kingdom Come, or whatever Beth has been working on?
Decrepit
QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 10 2016, 06:27 AM) *

Yes that is true, Fallout 4 has layered clothes, which means the next Elder Scrolls will probably have them as well.

I wonder which game will come out first though: Kingdom Come, or whatever Beth has been working on?
Beth continues to swear that TESVI is not yet in development and that we should not expect another TES release any time soon . . . assuming I've not missed recent announcements to the contrary.
Renee
Correct. Beth is supposed to be working on two new games "the size of an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game", or some such. Speculation is running heck-wild in the forums, of course.
Decrepit
Watched the first two episodes (so far) of a recently begun Kingdom Come: Deliverance LP. The Beta this fellow plays looked to be a bit more advanced than that used in the last such LP episodes I watched (some time ago). Here's episode one, though I find ep.2 more interesting overall.
Decrepit
Watched a few newish KCD videos recently. Man, I swear the graphics at the beginning of this one from Warhorse Studio look so good at 1080p full-screen that, if I didn't know it was a game capture beforehand, I might well have assumed I was watching on-location medieval movie footage. (The near-field leaves at screen-right give it away a bit, but even those are quite well done.)
Renee
Wow that does look incredible. Will this game ever get released though? laugh.gif

Some guy over in the new forums was ragging on KC: D, saying how clunky and unrealistic it is. Whatever though. I still wanna try it on release. Something different, anyway.
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 19 2017, 08:02 PM) *

Watched a few newish KCD videos recently. Man, I swear the graphics at the beginning of this one from Warhorse Studio look so good at 1080p full-screen that, if I didn't know it was a game capture beforehand, I might well have assumed I was watching on-location medieval movie footage. (The near-field leaves at screen-right give it away a bit, but even those are quite well done.)

It is looking much better than it did last year when they attempted to tone down the graphics to meet the average computer abilities. I love how they put in contingencies and different outcomes for each = one of the things I loved so much about New Vegas and enjoyed the few instances in Oblivion was how you could change certain outcomes with your choices.

Kane
I feel like I've been hearing about that game forever.
Renee
QUOTE(Cain @ Dec 1 2017, 10:05 AM) *

I feel like I've been hearing about that game forever.

Honestly I'm rather eager for it. Hopefully it'll tide some of us over for several years, since the next Elder Scrolls game isn't likely to be out before (gulp) the next decade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.