Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now Watching
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81
Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 25 2015, 08:18 PM) *

I watched The Force Awakens today. It was alright, but nothing spectacular. Basically what I expected once I saw that JJ Abrams was in charge. The plot is such a carbon copy of A New Hope that before it was even half-way through I was thinking "Ok this has to happen now, then this, than this, etc..." And of course it all went on schedule. That is always the case with JJ Abrams, he doesn't have an original bone in his body. All he can do is copy other people's work.

Well, you say that, but I found this: Link

It looks like they sort of smooshed A New Hope and KotOR together to make the film.
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 1 2016, 04:22 AM) *

Thanks to Top Gearīs Richard Hammond, I think I know what car to buy next time... biggrin.gif

HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Darkness Eternal
QUOTE(hazmick @ Oct 30 2015, 10:11 PM) *

Can't get away from Star Wars stuff these days it seems. I've been catching up the the new season of Star Wars Rebels. I prefer The Clone Wars, but Rebels is fun enough. The new season is especially exciting since it has some familiar faces mixed in there.

I agree. CW is superior. Rebels in my opinion is bad. Clone Wars had the decency to be more mature and never shied away from mature elements. I mean that fight between Maul and Visla(who, uh, didn't get aHEAD of the game) was great stuff. Rebels was obviously targeted for younger audiences. I mean really younger audiences. Some of the Clone Wars scenes had to be censored and edited out of Cartoon Network.

Wow. Won't see Rebels EVER getting to that level.

mALX
QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Dec 30 2015, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 29 2015, 02:35 PM) *

I was hoping the long break in between sequels was a good sign that they were trying to figure out where they went wrong or something, lol. I was hoping to see it till I read something about the premise on here, and it kind of squelched my interest temporarily. But I'd still watch it if the chance came up, if for no other reason than to groan. But ... sure would love to hear what an eye-witness to it thinks of it.

Then I give you This!

Oh thanks! I watched both the linked and the sequeled spoiler version afterward (my laptop is having issues with vids right now, so it took a lot of starting and stopping) - anyway, I think it is still at the point of where it was before watching Angry Joe = if my son brings it on a thumb drive I will see it, but not breaking any speed traps racing to the theater on this one.

Some of the things AJ described sounded interesting to see, but the contrived and totally disbelievable stuff (or the apathy of the characters) = would ruin the show for me, so not worth spending the funds to see it in a theater.

Plus = at home I can rewind and rewatch over and over again the nanny's drama with the Pterodactyl, lol.

mirocu
QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 2 2016, 12:45 AM) *

Thanks to Top Gearīs Richard Hammond, I think I know what car to buy next time... biggrin.gif

Not sure whether you liked the car or the presenter... tongue.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 2 2016, 02:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 2 2016, 12:45 AM) *

Not sure whether you liked the car or the presenter... tongue.gif

The Marauder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mirocu
Yeah. Far better and cooler than the Humvee ever was.
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 2 2016, 09:39 AM) *

Yeah. Far better and cooler than the Humvee ever was.

I loved the Humvee till I saw that vid, lol.

mirocu
QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 2 2016, 04:01 PM) *

I never did actually. Always thought it was way too low. The Marauder I liked immediatley! biggrin.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 2 2016, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 2 2016, 04:01 PM) *

I never did actually. Always thought it was way too low. The Marauder I liked immediatley! biggrin.gif

They look low to the ground, till you see them next to a regular vehicle. The way they are built, low slung over their own tires - it makes them look low to the ground, but they are not. Their tires are huge - well over the hood of most regular cars, so the fact that they look low slung is deceptive. They are actually very high up compared to normal cars.

But it is hard to think of anything but the Marauder now, that thing was the most fantastic vehicle EVAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uleni Athram
Returned to a classic of mine way back when.

Chad Vader.

*sighs in contentment*
mALX

What I want to know is, ... What in the living hell is going on with "The Bachelor" show this season? Girls wearing unicorn heads; giant rose heads; reciting really stupid lines ... omg, if this is the fodder the season is going to be based on, there is going to be some real Springer crap going on! Urk.

Decrepit
Yesterday evening I watched my 1986 Japanese import Special Collection edition of Star Wars, later rechristened New Hope. While no worshiper at the Temple of Lucas, I greatly enjoyed the first two Star Wars films at release, seeing them, especially Empire Strikes Back, multiple times at various theaters scattered throughout the greater LA area. Indeed I count my first viewing of Star Wars as possibly my favorite cinema attendance experience, one of them certainly. It occurred at a theater in or near Westwood Village. I got in line early so was able to pick what I hoped was an ideal seat to experience whatever surround sound the film and theater provided -- smack in the middle roughly equal distance between front (screen) and rear, left and right side. What I heard that day floored me. Bass production was first class, deep and powerful yet highly detailed. Surround effects were superb. I've not heard their like before or since, including during other theater viewings of the film under discussion. Being the year it was, my hearing was as yet unimpaired enough to fully appreciate such things and indeed glory in them.

As to the disk in question, I payed big bucks for it, enough so that I shake my head over such foolishness nowadays. First and foremost, the disk preserves the film's original aspect ratio at a time when few commercial home releases did. Even on my modern wide-screen TV there is a substantial black band at screen bottom, just the way I like it. The disk utilizes the CAV format, which limits playing time to 30min a side (1hr is the norm) but promises best picture quality and better freeze frames. Digital Dolby Surround Sound back when that wasn't a given on Laserdisc. Early as it is, this release does not, alas, avoid Lucas's post premiere tinkerings. To this day I notice and regret the absence of two lines of dialog uttered during the Imperial 'Death Star' escape sequence.

This Laserdisc can not, of course, compare in quality to a well made modern blu-ray or even a DVD release, which 'should' provide better visuals and discrete multi-channel surround. Too, laserdisc upscaling (to 1080p) relies on my Pioneer AV receiver's built in processing rather than the slightly superior scaling provided by my Oppo DVD player. Either that or LDs simply don't scale as well as DVDs.

Much as I enjoy Star Wars, I like Empire Strikes Back (which I also own as an expensive imported Japanese LD release) better. Neither qualifies as my favorite Sci-fi movie, that honor going to Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan. As to Return of the Jedi, that film left such a bad taste in my mouth I abandoned the franchise and have had nothing to do with it since.
mirocu
You didnīt like Return of the Jedi? I love all three movies and in my world they are the only ones that are canon. Donīt even care if Lucas did have six or nine or twelve movies in mind from the start and the movie company picked those three since they were the most interesting to them. Those not only came out first but they were great. No talk about midoclorins or some stupid stuff like that. They talked about life force that flows through everything, even rocks. I like that and the whole atmosphere of those movies smile.gif

Oh, and most importantly...

Decrepit
I am slowly re-watching what I consider the definitive documentary on American silent films, "Hollywood: A Celebration of the American Silent Film." I most recently watched episode three (of thirteen), 'Separate Beds and Double Standards', which focuses heavily on the Fatty Arbuckle murder case. Such a wonderful series! The more so as it was made circa 1980, when many movers and shakers from the silent era were still around to interview. I kick myself for not buying it on Laserdisc back in the day. It is no longer allowed commercial release. Not in the US in any case. Royalties, if memory serves. Odd that, considering, as this list shows, only twelve bona fide silent era participants remain (as of early Jan 2016), along with two dubious suspects.

Those who might be interested in the series should start with episode one, which gives and interesting overview and covers the very beginnings of American film.

Last night I attempted to watch Errol Flynn's 'Adventures of Robin Hood' on DVD, but abandoned it not far in. This used to be my favorite swashbuckler. I liked is so much I bought it twice on laserdisc and again on DVD. I no longer so consider it. It's a fine movie in its way, better than a good many. But I no longer consider it amongst the best of the best. Except for its music score, which for my money has few equals.

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 5 2016, 06:02 AM) *

You didnīt like Return of the Jedi? I love all three movies and in my world they are the only ones that are canon. Donīt even care if Lucas did have six or nine or twelve movies in mind from the start and the movie company picked those three since they were the most interesting to them. Those not only came out first but they were great. No talk about midoclorins or some stupid stuff like that. They talked about life force that flows through everything, even rocks. I like that and the whole atmosphere of those movies smile.gif

Oh, and most importantly...

As alluded to in my previous post, I'm not and have never been a Star Wars aficionado. I consider the original Star Wars great fun despise its shortcomings. I like Empire Strikes Back even better due to it becoming darker and in some aspects more serious minded while retaining the elements that made the first movie so enjoyable. Return, for me, took the franchise in a direction I have little sympathy with or empathy for. (Or is it 'sympathy for or empathy with'????) I sat through it once (in a theater during its initial run) and have no desire to see it again. Hey, two fine movies in a franchise ain't a bad deal at all. (I sometimes wonder whether I'd enjoy the later movies more if they had premiered when I was younger.)
Callidus Thorn
Cowboy Bebop y'all

Gotta love that show biggrin.gif
hazmick
I've been watching Sherlock Holmes - the 1984 version starring Jeremy Brett.

I purchased the DVD box set as a christmas present to myself. I used to watch it on television at my grandparents house (They had the required television channels, which I didn't have at home) and have always loved it.

Brett was an absolutely fabulous actor, and always makes me feel as if the character of Holmes was written for this very TV adaptation. Utterly brilliant.

Decrepit
QUOTE(hazmick @ Jan 7 2016, 10:48 AM) *

I've been watching Sherlock Holmes - the 1984 version starring Jeremy Brett.

I purchased the DVD box set as a christmas present to myself. I used to watch it on television at my grandparents house (They had the required television channels, which I didn't have at home) and have always loved it.

Brett was an absolutely fabulous actor, and always makes me feel as if the character of Holmes was written for this very TV adaptation. Utterly brilliant.
I must thank you for mentioning this series. I was vaguely aware of its existence but so far as I can recall never saw any of it. As is the way of such things, I found bits of it at YouTube. Watched Season 05 Episode 04: The Boscombe Valley Mystery. Very impressive! Evocative sets and costumes, fine camera work and music, excellent acting of the sort I like by the entire cast. I'll almost certainly watch other episodes. smile.gif
Callidus Thorn
I think I'll have to check that out...

I'm watching what is quite possibly my favourite movie of all time; Dungeons & Dragons

There's just so much about this movie I love, from Jeremy Irons' glorious overacting, to the way it's not afraid to laugh at itself.
Decrepit
Spent much of my time playing Banished yesterday, so did comparatively little 'watching'. I saw another Sherlock Holmes episode, "The Six Napoleons". Enjoyable but not, in my opinion, as good as "The Boscombe Valley Mystery."

These past some days I've attempted to watch a number of Banished LPs. None equal Sips in my esteem. But then he's a tough act to follow. At the moment I'm following an "Adam and Eve" play-through, where the game starts with two settlers (via mod). Not something for the weak of heart to tackle, though past a certain point it becomes indistinguishable from any other play-through.

ADDENDUM: Now 11 Jan 2016 I just finished watching another Sherlock Holmes episode, "The Creeping Man." Watched "The Bruce Partington Plans" from season four yesterday.

ADDENDUM: Now evening of the 11th, I just finished watching Sherlock Holmes Season 02 Episode 04, "The Resident Patient." It's a very fine episode. Of those watched thus far, it and The Boscombe Valley Mystery are my favorites.

This afternoon I watched the Basil Rathbone / Nigel Bruce "Hound of the Baskervilles" film. I saw it several times as a youngling, back when airing older movies was a big part most TV stations' lineups. We're talking a good many decades ago here.
SubRosa
Today I wrapped up a nearly week long Disney marathon. I started last week with Frozen one night. Then Brave came the next night, followed by Tangled. Then Shrek 1 and 2. And finally today I did Malificent.

Right now I am in the middle of An Adventure in Space and Time. Exterminate! Exterminate! For those not in the know, it is a drama about the creation of Doctor Who. David Bradley is magnificent as the First Doctor - William Hartnell. Of course Jessica Raine is brilliant as always as Verity Lambert - the show's first producer. It is especially nice seeing her, since she was also in an episode of season 8, in the new series.

There is a scene early on where I thought I caught an easter egg, where they were looking for actors and had a pile of photos on a desk of candidates. For a moment I thought one was of Peter Capaldi. But after freezing it I realized it was probably Peter Cushing (who of course played The Doctor in the movie Doctor Who And The Daleks).

The ending has the best easter egg though: "I don't want to go." Followed by a brilliant cameo by Matt Smith that had me clapping. smile.gif
Acadian
Nice reminder about Mailificent, SubRosa. As we talked about some time ago, based on your recomendation I watched it - and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. With some time now to digest it, I realize that I have very much incorporated the character Malificent into how I now view Azura. happy.gif
SubRosa
Acadian watched a movie! biggrin.gif I am glad you liked it. I never really thought about it until you mentioned it just now, Angelina Jolie's portrayal of Malificent is wonderfully appropriate for Azura. As the narrator in the movie says - "only a great hero or a terrible villain might bring them together" Malificent was both. I think that is an ideal way to look at Azura as well - a character capable of both great compassion, and cold-blooded vengeance.
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 12 2016, 07:01 PM) *

Acadian watched a movie! biggrin.gif I am glad you liked it. I never really thought about it until you mentioned it just now, Angelina Jolie's portrayal of Malificent is wonderfully appropriate for Azura. As the narrator in the movie says - "only a great hero or a terrible villain might bring them together" Malificent was both. I think that is an ideal way to look at Azura as well - a character capable of both great compassion, and cold-blooded vengeance.

I am dying to see this movie from all I've hear about it.

Is anyone going to be watching the premier of "ShadowHunters" tonight?

mALX
QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 12 2016, 07:17 PM) *

Is anyone going to be watching the premier of "ShadowHunters" tonight?

I watched about 5 minutes of it and changed channels. This is done on that new "CSI" or "Twilight" style of showing scattered scenes with only a tinge of storyline connecting them and the story content replaced by musical interludes and close-ups of the character's faces looking intense.

So it is a big "NO!" for me.

I am still dying to see Angie Tribeca even though I'm pretty sure it is done the same way - for one, I think they are doing it to knock those shows that seriously do that and think it is a quality production; and secondly - I just am dying to see all the dog stunts for that detective that no one will admit is a dog but the viewers can see it is.

So far I have seen him practicing his lines, blowing up bubble gum, driving a car away from a curb real fast - I've nearly choked to death laughing at those three scenes and can't get enough of them; it is still funny after the nth time seeing it, lol.

So Angie Tribeca - watching for the dog.

SubRosa
QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 13 2016, 09:06 PM) *

I watched about 5 minutes of it and changed channels. This is done on that new "CSI" or "Twilight" style of showing scattered scenes with only a tinge of storyline connecting them and the story content replaced by musical interludes and close-ups of the character's faces looking intense.

I saw the Mortal Instruments movie last year, and was not impressed. So I never paid any attention to the tv show. It just struck me as a cheap attempt to cash in on the Hungry Games audience, like the Maze Runner, Insurgable, or Jupiter Regurgitating movies. That style - science fiction that is light on the science and set in a world just slightly different than the real one - is all the rage now. Make sure it is well stocked with hunky teen studs and babes, and perhaps even throw in a dash of angels, or demons, or some other form of supernaturalism or aliens. And you have the formula.

Hungry Games is not much on story or creativity, but it does have an excellent actress like Jennifer Lawrence to anchor the movies, and a ton of outstanding supporting actors like Donald Sutherland, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Jeffrey Wright, and so on. The others don't even have that talent going for them, and so pale in comparison.
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 13 2016, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 13 2016, 09:06 PM) *

I saw the Mortal Instruments movie last year, and was not impressed. So I never paid any attention to the tv show. It just struck me as a cheap attempt to cash in on the Hungry Games audience, like the Maze Runner, Insurgable, or Jupiter Regurgitating movies. That style - science fiction that is light on the science and set in a world just slightly different than the real one - is all the rage now. Make sure it is well stocked with hunky teen studs and babes, and perhaps even throw in a dash of angels, or demons, or some other form of supernaturalism or aliens. And you have the formula.

Hungry Games is not much on story or creativity, but it does have an excellent actress like Jennifer Lawrence to anchor the movies, and a ton of outstanding supporting actors like Donald Sutherland, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Jeffrey Wright, and so on. The others don't even have that talent going for them, and so pale in comparison.

Donald Sutherland is up there among some of my favorite actors, he can immerse you into any environment in a movie from comedy to horror, leave you feeling you have lived through whatever the story was.

To find an actor in today's market that is able to do that - almost obsolete. I have noticed Hollywood has been pelting us with children that shout their lines; people of all ages that mug for the camera - and emoting like hams on skooma. Not to mention the bad directing and lack of timing in today's actors. Urk, I've never been big on TV watching; and now I have a real reason to be hating it, lol. That will teach me, laugh.gif

Callidus Thorn
I'm watching Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham is magnificent. And they gave him some fantastic lines, too.
mALX
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Jan 14 2016, 03:49 PM) *

I'm watching Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham is magnificent. And they gave him some fantastic lines, too.

verysad.gif I would love to see that one!

mirocu
I am, as usual in the evenings, watching dr. Stuart Ashen reviewing tat on his brown sofa biggrin.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 14 2016, 04:47 PM) *

I am, as usual in the evenings, watching dr. Stuart Ashen reviewing tat on his brown sofa biggrin.gif

BwaaHaa! I know some products I'd like to see him "review," lol.

Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 14 2016, 09:35 PM) *

One of my favourite bits ever in a film: Heehee

And(unconnected) I stumbled across this while looking for that. biggrin.gif
mALX
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Jan 14 2016, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 14 2016, 09:35 PM) *

One of my favourite bits ever in a film: Heehee

And(unconnected) I stumbled across this while looking for that. biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbN3Pya_AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgxwLQsM0iM

hazmick
Been catching up on new films today. The Hateful Eight, The Revenant, and Spectre.

The Hateful Eight is an American western mystery film, by Quentin Tarantino. It wasn't bad. Lots of shooting and interesting characters, as expected of one of his films. The story itself is fairly interesting, though the ending felt a little...sub-par.

The Revenant, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy, was great. It's a semi-biographical western set in the early 1820's. The story itself is simple enough, but the acting talent is what brings the film alive.

Spectre, the new Bond film, was also quite good. Not as good as the older Bonds of course, but good nonetheless. Carries on the story from the previous film with some good throwbacks to the older ones. Don't want to spoil anything, but I'd say it's worth the watch.
Callidus Thorn
Watching Looper.

Gods, is this thing a mess. On so many levels.
SubRosa
Yesterday I started watching season 2 of Z-Nation. Tons of fun! This is even better than the first season. It amazes me how superior this is to The Walking Dead. TWD has a lot more money, so has prettier effects shots. But it is so much worse in every other category.

When a regular dies in Z-Nation, you feel sad, because the characters are actually likeable in this show. Where in TWD I mostly just cheered, because I couldn't wait for those a-holes to die. You can even feel bad for the minor characters that die in the same episode you met them. They may not have a huge amount of screen time or depth, but they are always interesting.

The zombies are so much more original and creative in Z-N as well. Where TWD has the same basic shufflers in every episode. Z-N has all sorts of different Z's. Fast ones, slow ones, radioactive ones, drugged ones, etc... Season 2 introduces Blasters, who are Z's that have been mutated by nuclear explosions (but are different from the glowing irradiated ones we saw in Season 1's nuclear power plant episode). Blasters are super fast, and smart enough to actually run away and hide when people shoot at them. There are even Zombie-Human hybrids, with weird powers of their own.

Plot-wise it is also so much better. TWD's plot is your standard zombie show plot: survive. That's it. Z-N has an actual, tangible goal for its characters. Deliver the only known survivor of a zombie bite to a lab so an anti-zombie vaccine can be made from his blood. I like it because the characters are actually doing something other than just randomly mucking along. They are out to save the world, not just eke out another day in it. Plus the whole road trip nature gives us a chance to visit all sorts of different places and meet new people (and see how they die). wink.gif

It is also so much more Fun! Z-Nation definitely puts the fun back in the zombie genre. It's not as blatant as the Return of the Living Dead movies. But there is still humor and silliness, to the point of being campy sometimes. But the camp is what keeps it from being just a dreary parade of people dying badly in an utterly pointless existence.
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 21 2016, 02:50 PM) *

Yesterday I started watching season 2 of Z-Nation. Tons of fun! This is even better than the first season. It amazes me how superior this is to The Walking Dead. TWD has a lot more money, so has prettier effects shots. But it is so much worse in every other category.

When a regular dies in Z-Nation, you feel sad, because the characters are actually likeable in this show. Where in TWD I mostly just cheered, because I couldn't wait for those a-holes to die. You can even feel bad for the minor characters that die in the same episode you met them. They may not have a huge amount of screen time or depth, but they are always interesting.

The zombies are so much more original and creative in Z-N as well. Where TWD has the same basic shufflers in every episode. Z-N has all sorts of different Z's. Fast ones, slow ones, radioactive ones, drugged ones, etc... Season 2 introduces Blasters, who are Z's that have been mutated by nuclear explosions (but are different from the glowing irradiated ones we saw in Season 1's nuclear power plant episode). Blasters are super fast, and smart enough to actually run away and hide when people shoot at them. There are even Zombie-Human hybrids, with weird powers of their own.

Plot-wise it is also so much better. TWD's plot is your standard zombie show plot: survive. That's it. Z-N has an actual, tangible goal for its characters. Deliver the only known survivor of a zombie bite to a lab so an anti-zombie vaccine can be made from his blood. I like it because the characters are actually doing something other than just randomly mucking along. They are out to save the world, not just eke out another day in it. Plus the whole road trip nature gives us a chance to visit all sorts of different places and meet new people (and see how they die). wink.gif

It is also so much more Fun! Z-Nation definitely puts the fun back in the zombie genre. It's not as blatant as the Return of the Living Dead movies. But there is still humor and silliness, to the point of being campy sometimes. But the camp is what keeps it from being just a dreary parade of people dying badly in an utterly pointless existence.

This does sound a lot more "well thought out" for longevity; where as by its own repetition TWD would eventually get boring and stale.

What ever happened to that weekly show that premiered a year ago where a girl was bitten by a zombie and worked in the morgue to get brains to eat? I was looking forward to seeing more of that, and never found it again.

I also like the plot you described here, kind of close to "The Last of Us" - I'll try to get my son to record a season on his thumb drive and bring it to me, lol.

SubRosa
You are thinking of I, Zombie. It is in its second season now. I have only seen the first season, since that is all that is out on dvd/netflix so far. It was a fun show. Though the plot got a little poor toward the end of the first season. Hopefully it picks up in the second season.
mALX
QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 21 2016, 03:33 PM) *

You are thinking of I, Zombie. It is in its second season now. I have only seen the first season, since that is all that is out on dvd/netflix so far. It was a fun show. Though the plot got a little poor toward the end of the first season. Hopefully it picks up in the second season.

That is it! I couldn't find it after seeing the first few shows, darn it! Yes, that show had some potential (but could get bogged down in repetition if they weren't careful).

SubRosa
I just finished The Last Survivors. It's a small post-apocalypse desert-world movie that was surprisingly good. It is more like The Road than Book of Eli, in that it is not an action movie. Survivors hide, try their best to survive, and when they have to: fight. It even has a Western-style water-rights twist, in that the preacher master-villain is pumping up all the water left in the valley in order to drive out everyone else. And those who don't leave or surrender to him, he murders.
hazmick
Just watched the first episode of Black Sails, season 3. Good start to the season, looks as if it'll be as good (if not better) than the previous two.

Now they're introducing Edward Teach and Woodes Rogers into the mix, which should make things even more exciting.
mALX
My son came home with the first two seasons of "Breaking Bad" yesterday - my first time seeing an episode of the show, even though it has been out some time from what I gather.

My son has been watching the show from its premier; and was kind of shocked to learn I hadn't seen it before; so he downloaded the two seasons from NetFlix.

Well, we marathon watched both seasons and now my eyes are burning and every slight light looks too bright; but I enjoyed it a lot - and not just because it was great to spend so much time with my son not having to run out the door for school or work, lol.

It is an intense show, but extremely well done and acted; and there really isn't a limit on its potential storylines like there was with "Dexter," (which was the last marathon series my son downloaded from NetFlix and brought home).

Most stunning to me was the performance by Bryan Cranston; beloved "Hal" from the "Malcolm in the Middle" series. I never expected this kind of ability and range out of Cranston; WOW!!!!!!

Another great feature of this series is the synchronicity between characters and events; a great example being the whole storyline between Jane/Jesse/Walt/Jane's Dad - and the domino effect of collisions as their personalities bounce off one another to the final mid air collision that ends the season = Awesome !!!

Especially great and intriguing was how throughout season 2 the beginning scenes of each episode had me riveted to find out whose bodies were in Walt's drive; I assumed gunfire and family members - was pleasantly shocked by the truth.

I'm not big on TV watching, but I really enjoyed it!

SubRosa
Watching Force 10 From Navarone. It goes without saying that it's not as good a Guns of Navarone. But it is still a good war/spy movie. Now I am thinking of doing an Alistair MaClean festival, and watching Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, and whatever else MaClean I can think of.
haute ecole rider
OMG, Force Ten from Navarone!! I loved Robert Shaw in that movie!

Yes, Guns of Navarone is much better, but still Force 10 is fun to watch, especially with Harrison Ford still in Han Solo/Indiana Jones mode.
treydog
ice Station Zebra... yes, it's a bit of a mess, but still.

Can't think of any others not named, though I think there might have been an adaptation of The Satan Big under a different title
SubRosa
I watched Ice Station Zebra recently, when I did a cold war fest. So that one's off the table. I think there is a Satan Bug movie, but Netflix does not have it... sad.gif
treydog
Forgot Caravan to Vaccares and Breakheart Pass.

According to IMDB.COM, there was also When Eight Bells Toll
SubRosa
Alistair MaClean lost out tonight. Instead I started watching Planet Dinosaur. I bought it from the BBC and it came in the mail yesterday along with the remastered Walking With Dinosaurs, and two Nigel Marvin specials - Chased By Dinosaurs and Jurassic - Monsters of the Deep. I have seen the others before, but this is my first time watching Planet Dinosaur. So far it is really good, with neat episodes about Spinosaurs and Microraptors (which look a lot like Archaeopteryx to me).
mALX
QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 26 2016, 07:06 PM) *

My son came home with the first two seasons of "Breaking Bad" yesterday - my first time seeing an episode of the show, even though it has been out some time from what I gather.

My son has been watching the show from its premier; and was kind of shocked to learn I hadn't seen it before; so he downloaded the two seasons from NetFlix.

Well, we marathon watched both seasons and now my eyes are burning and every slight light looks too bright; but I enjoyed it a lot - and not just because it was great to spend so much time with my son not having to run out the door for school or work, lol.

It is an intense show, but extremely well done and acted; and there really isn't a limit on its potential storylines like there was with "Dexter," (which was the last marathon series my son downloaded from NetFlix and brought home).

Most stunning to me was the performance by Bryan Cranston; beloved "Hal" from the "Malcolm in the Middle" series. I never expected this kind of ability and range out of Cranston; WOW!!!!!!

Another great feature of this series is the synchronicity between characters and events; a great example being the whole storyline between Jane/Jesse/Walt/Jane's Dad - and the domino effect of collisions as their personalities bounce off one another to the final mid air collision that ends the season = Awesome !!!

Especially great and intriguing was how throughout season 2 the beginning scenes of each episode had me riveted to find out whose bodies were in Walt's drive; I assumed gunfire and family members - was pleasantly shocked by the truth.

I'm not big on TV watching, but I really enjoyed it!

Finished season's 3 & 4 of Breaking Bad yesterday and last night with my son (and his girlfriend for season 4). That is one intense show!

The scene where Gus is walking dead - urgh, that was freaky as hell! I might have nightmares about that scene, laugh.gif

There is only one season left broken up into two halves - waiting for my son to bring them home to see them. Urk. Can't wait!

SubRosa
Watching Season 9 of Doctor Who. It has been pretty underwhelming for the most part. The acting is good, it is just the writing that is weak. Like it has been since Steve Moffat took over as showrunner.

Still, there were a few bright spots. The first minute of the first episode was great, with the hand mines and the big reveal of who the boy is. But after that that two part episode went downhill. I just finished a two-parter about the Zygerians that was pretty good. The best in this season so far. Hopefully it will pick up, but I am not crossing my fingers. I am not sure if I will even bother with Season 10 at this point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.