Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your projects
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
Acadian
Glad it's fixed, Decrepit. And a clean bathroom to boot! tongue.gif
Decrepit
QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 14 2023, 04:35 PM) *

Glad it's fixed, Decrepit. And a clean bathroom to boot! tongue.gif

Let's not get carried away. Parts of it are cleaner than they were, but plenty of filth remains.

Project: Preparing for brother's weekend visit to prepare tax returns
Status: More complex than in years past, but think I'm ready

The issue is that I don't want my brother to stare at my primary PC's eye-frying monitor for hours on end. Thankfully, a little research found that the program can be installed on up to five devices. I'd need to boot the primary PC, but would have to contend with it only long enough to transfer my TurboTax install file and my bro's 2021 tax file to a USB thumb drive. Those files would then be transferred to my secondary PC.

I found where TurboTax stored return files on the secondary PC (from when it was my primary PC) beforehand, thinking to make usage of my primary PC even briefer. This didn't pan out. My primary PC stores TurboTax return files in a different location, which took a while to find. But find them I did. TurboTax 2022 is now installed, updated, and validated on my secondary PC. I also started my bro's return, transferring data from the copied 2021 return file. I didn't get very far, just verifying that his personal info hasn't changed since last year. Still, that'll save him a minute's work.
Decrepit
Project: Fix CPAP machine humidifier

Turning on the Unit at bedtime last night, I was greeted with the following message: "Heating System Fault, therapy will run without heating." It did. What it didn't do was make for a pleasant night. A little research first thing this morning turned up one possibly "fixable" issue that can cause this: water below the heating plate, where the humidifier fuse and its motherboard reside. Getting to it is fairly straightforward. I did so. Sure enough, there was an indecent amount of water there. The fuse itself "looks" okay, but I've no way to test it. I'm letting the now semi-exposed fuse/motherboard air dry, and keeping my fingers crossed.

It's likely going to be evening, or into tomorrow before everything dries out. It could go much quicker if I was able to follow the article's advice and remove the connecting wires from their motherboard socket. This would let me separate the motherboard from its clear plastic protective cover. Alas, those wires are stuck solid. Fragile as the motherboard is (little more than a membrane) I don't dare use the force needed to yank it from the socket.

ResMed's warranty is two years. I've had the unit since around the end of 2020. Insurance wouldn't buy me a new unit for some years yet. CPAP units bought without insurance ain't cheap by a longshot.
Acadian
Darn. I hope your efforts are able to generate a simple/ez fix then.
Decrepit
QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 26 2023, 10:52 AM) *

Darn. I hope your efforts are able to generate a simple/ez fix then.

After lunch, I found a YouTube video attempting to fix a problem similar to mine, except the poster had a dead/blown fuse. The video was low quality with no narration, so not as helpful as it might have been. But provided an Amazon link for ordering those fuses. Should drying the unit not work, I might try that. Alas, Amazon is "temporarily out of stock". There are other fuses with like specs in stock, but I'm not savvy enough to trust any of them. There is also a chance that my problem is elsewhere. I'll cross that possibly uncrossable bridge should I need to, but continue to hope the issue rests within the humidifier fuse compartment.
Decrepit
Project: Fix CPAP machine humidifier

Drying out the humidifier fuse compartment was all it took. Knowing it can happen again, I'll buy a pack of Fuses from Amazon when they're back in stock, just in case. (They are cheap.)
Acadian
Great news for both you and your coin purse! I love it when a simple fix works.
Decrepit
Project: Prepare and post state-required internet-purchase taxes due

This payment covers Jan-Mar 2023. While I bought a goodly amount online during that time, most purchases added tax automatically. Those that did not were monetarily insignificant. My grand total owed was less than $7.5USD. I could have held off another few months, but fear forgetting something that might come back to haunt me. (I continue to believe that only a small percentage of the state's private residents (as opposed to businesses) bother to do this at all.)

I've got the process down pat now. Figuring out what I owe is easy... so long I remember the correct time period. The main bother is in filling out the submission form, writing the check, and addressing an envelope. And double-checking online to ensure state/county/city tax rates are up to date.

Project: Balance Mar 2023 checking and savings accounts

Did so this morning. All went well. No screwiness whatsoever. My first attempt at balancing my checking account was off by $2.57. An easy fix. I knew what the issue almost had to be, and was right. (I forgot to enter interest-earned (such as it is), which I never know until my statement arrives. (To be fair, I can look it up a few days beforehand online. But why bother?)

Project: Spring Yard Work

Did this yesterday. Removed a multitude of stems growing around the base of a small "tree" at one corner of my house. (When bought, it was advertised as a "bush" that grew to 8' high, 4' wide. In reality, it's a relatively large bush-tree, some 15' high, 12' wide, and growing. I have to keep its lower section trimmed bare to retain its tree shape. A pain in the rump is what it is. But it nicely shades part of the house during afternoons.)

I also removed new growth from what I believe would grow into a weed tree (?) should I leave it alone. It sprouted along my back wall, where the gas meter is, ages ago. Due to gas meter apparatus, I'm not able to chop it down to ground level. But I can keep if from getting larger than it already is.

I thought to treat the stubs of some weed bushes/trees with a salt/vinegar/dishwashing-liquid mix, but decided to wait until after today's predicted storms.
mALX

Kitchen remodel Phase II is done, I just need to sand the raw wood and put on two coats of polyurethane = WOO HOO!!!!!

https://imgur.com/a/c4EOiPs

mirocu
Great work, mALX! It's awesome doing this yourself innit? biggrin.gif
Acadian
Really nice work, mALX. Amazing how well you are optimizing that small space into a beautiful, usable kitchen.
Decrepit
QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 10 2023, 12:11 PM) *

Kitchen remodel Phase II is done, I just need to sand the raw wood and put on two coats of polyurethane = WOO HOO!!!!!

goodjob.gif salute.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 10 2023, 01:31 PM) *

Great work, mALX! It's awesome doing this yourself innit? biggrin.gif

Thank you!!!

Just me and my husband; we are doing it by ourselves = doing it a little at a time as the money comes in for each next "phase" of the job, lol.

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Apr 10 2023, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 10 2023, 12:11 PM) *

goodjob.gif salute.gif

QUOTE(Acadian @ Apr 10 2023, 02:53 PM) *

Really nice work, mALX. Amazing how well you are optimizing that small space into a beautiful, usable kitchen.

Thank you both!!!

@ Acadian - It really is such a tiny space! The past couple weeks having cabinets and counterspace in there has been like a total culture shock, lol. (but in a great way, lol). I love it!

mirocu
Just checked up on my olde bike down in storage that I haven't tocuhed much since losing my job ten years ago. Inflated the tires on that and also cleared out some old boxes that's basically been down there for the last 15-20 years tongue.gif

mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 14 2023, 12:53 PM) *

Just checked up on my olde bike down in storage that I haven't tocuhed much since losing my job ten years ago. Inflated the tires on that and also cleared out some old boxes that's basically been down there for the last 15-20 years tongue.gif

Will the motor still work on that bike after sitting so long?

I also need to clean out A LOT of boxes from my move in 12/21.. I keep waiting for the good weather to do it, but in the good weather I'm either in the mountains having fun or out fishing = out having fun instead of cleaning out the boxes, lol. Then when it is cold or rainy and I can't have fun = would clean the boxes out, but can't due to the bad weather, lol.

mirocu
QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 18 2023, 05:42 PM) *

I passed that question on to my legs and yes; they confirm they work fine tongue.gif

Bike = bicycle. Motorbike was sold five years ago.
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 18 2023, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 18 2023, 05:42 PM) *

I passed that question on to my legs and yes; they confirm they work fine tongue.gif

Bike = bicycle. Motorbike was sold five years ago.

Aw, you sold the motorbike? verysad.gif

Decrepit
Project: Exercise-walks

I've been able to walk pretty much every day for the past some weeks. However, for at least five days in a row I've been forced to break pace mid-walk, for a variety of reasons. I don't like breaking pace. On the other hand, these past two days I've taken the extension added last year. Alas, beginning tomorrow we have over a week straight of rain and storms. I'll get out as a can, but expect a major setback.

Project: Replace bananas with blackberries in my breakfast oatmeal/fruit bowl.

I'm only three days into this experiment. Day one, I didn't much like the taste of blackberries (in my oatmeal). Day two I returned to bananas, and found I didn't enjoy them that much more than the blackberries. Today I returned to blackberries, and enjoyed them better, but not that much better.
mirocu
Why the change from bananas to blackberries?
Decrepit
QUOTE(mirocu @ May 4 2023, 01:34 PM) *

Why the change from bananas to blackberries?

The gist of it is that I am attempting to migrate to a healthier diet. I looked for any of the videos upon which to I based my decision, and of course couldn't find them. By sheer happenstance, I found another such video amongst today's YouTube recommendations.
mirocu
Awww! Why is everything that tastes so good so bad?? sad.gif sad.gif
Decrepit

The week-plus of nothing but rain and storms fizzled out. Instead of not being able to walk at all during that period, I walked every day. Doing so was always in doubt until the morning in question.

This morning, I used Google Earth to chart a more accurate measurement of my daily route, to include the extension I began taking a few weeks ago. To my happy surprise, I walk 1.7 miles! I also timed myself; 36-min. That's slower than a chart I found online says a person my age should be walking (at a brisk pace), but I am not at all displeased.
mirocu
Project: New tinroof over firewood shed

I have no idea as to how or why, but when I layed the first roof over the firewood shed in 2019 it leaked from the getgo. Using plastic sheets, new tin roof and new screws didn't stop it. I cannot fathom why. I did it a bit different now; laying a whole plastic sheet instead of two overlapping ones (even though I did it correctly) and I screwed the screws on the top parts instead of in the valleys of the roof. If this doesn't do it I am well and truly stumped indifferent.gif

Also; thanks to Decrepit for this template when reporting laugh.gif
Decrepit
QUOTE(mirocu @ May 16 2023, 02:33 PM) *

Awww! Why is everything that tastes so good so bad?? sad.gif sad.gif

Not all is doom and gloom, as this video attests.
Decrepit
Project: Mouse annihilation

Late yesterday morning, I began a long-postponed project to remove some of the ever-growing accumulation of clutter atop my never-used-for-sleeping bed. This would not warrant mention, except that as I set foot in the bedroom, an elongated blackish lump streaked from under the bed into my bathroom. My first thought was that it was a trick of the imagination, a black floater in my eye. Remembering that I possess no imagination, I entered the bathroom, determined to affirm that the lump was what it almost had to be. Reaching the room's far end, WHOOSH!, the lump sped back into the bedroom. This was no mirage, but a bona fide pest, one mus musculus to be exact, your common house mouse in the vernacular.

Though it has been years since my last mouse infestation, I know where my traps are stored. Finding the decades old jar of Walmart Great Value peanut butter to bait the trap proved a harder nut to crack, but find it I eventually did. Trap baited, I removed two hampers between Washer and Dryer, and placed it an inch or two from the wall. Priming proved a challenge. I almost gave up for an easier-to-work-with trap. In the end, the trap tired of toying with me and allowed itself to remain open. I restored hampers to their accustomed locations, put away peanut butter, washes my gloves/hands, and returned to the bed-clutter project.

Ere I set foot in the bedroom, a click was heard. "Crap!" thought I. "That blasted trap has set itself off." Reentering the kitchen, I removed those hampers. To my great surprise, there it was. A dark-gray mouse, dead as a door nail! It hadn't been five minutes since I set the trap! Plus, I'd been moving around in the kitchen almost the whole of that time. Still, done is done. The mouse was removed not long afterward.

I intended to reset the trap, in case more were in the house (which is usually the case). Only, this time the trap would not remain primed for love nor money. I eventually lost patience, trashed the trap, and baited another, which proved super easy to prime. It remains untouched.
mirocu
"Remembering that I possess no imagination..."

rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

Anyway, great job on the mouse hunt! Dad and I use a modern trap variant which is very easy to bait and prime:

IPB Image
Lena Wolf
A simpler solution would have been to get a cat. biggrin.gif

Great job trapping, by the way! goodjob.gif That mouse must have been hungry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now for a project of my own: nettles removal. Status: failed! kvleft.gif
Reason: they bite! blink.gif

Will have to get some long gloves and try again.
mirocu
Project: Replace bad sitting/back supporting boards on lawnchairs.

Started with planing two long boards on the edges and the flat sides. Then I cut them up in proper lengths. Now I need to remove all the boards on two chairs, putting the good ones on one of them and then put the new boards on the other chair. No need to replace all the boards on all three chairs as 1) the other boards are in good condition and 2) I can't find more suitable material unless a I want to cut up bigger boards and do more work. Which I could do of course, but seeing as it's unnecessary I think I'll do it this way instead.
Lena Wolf
Project: nettles removal

Method: let hubby do it biggrin.gif
Decrepit
Project: Evaluate "new" breakfast

I admit to having made these most recent changes with some apprehension. While I've questioned the FDA's and Heart Association's food guidelines for some time, questioning and going against their recommendations are two vastly different things. At the very least, I suspected that the switch from oatmeal-and-fruits to Bacon, an egg, half an avocado and some raspberries would put back on some or all of the weight lost due to my prior breakfast alterations. To my happy surprise, the advice followed to formulate my new breakfast has proven right, at least weightwise. Not only have I not gained weight, but actually lost some! In fact I'm now at the borderline of dropping too low!

Today's exercise-walk was the best (so far) this year. I had plenty of energy for those two steep inclines near the halfway point, and was still going strong at the end. My low-weights lifting session went well too. I still have breathing issues, but am not sure any diet is going to cure or improve Chronic Bronchiectasis. At any rate, I'm satisfied enough to keep breakfast as-is for the time being.

Project: Move boxes to attic

Feeling more energetic than usual this week, on Tuesday I tackled a years-put-off project; moving essential-to-retain, large, heavy boxes from the middle of my living-room floor to the attic. Also on the agenda; do the same with a ton of broken-down Amazon shipping boxes. I bought a construction helmet awhile back, so need no worry about cutting my head on roof nails. The flashlight was loaded with fresh batteries.

The attic is accessed via a fold-down wood ladder located in my computer room.

I started off moving three broken-down essential boxes.These were heavy enough to require tackling one at a time. The first transfer went well. The second, not so much. My left knee buckled during the climb. All that kept me from crashing to the floor was somehow being able to grab hold of the handrail located on one side of the steps. By the time I finagled that second box to the attic, I was panting up a storm. My arms were so shaky that when I attempted to pick up the flashlight, placed on the attic floor, it slipped through my fingers and rolled to the stairwell, then dropped to the computer-room floor. I sat on the attic floor some minutes, until feeling up to climbing down to retrieve the flashlight.

It was OK, though I had to fiddle with it maybe five minutes before it would turn on. I then carted the third and final broken-down essential box up the steps and positioned all three boxes where I wanted them. The final two essential boxes, which can't be broken down, proved too big to fit through the attic entry hole. (I should have measured them beforehand.)

By that point, I was exhausted beyond my limit. The project was abandoned. I did some juggling and created a new, out-of-the-way home in my bedroom for the two remaining essential boxes, and tossed all those Amazon boxes in the trash. I firmly believe that my days in the attic are behind me. Whatever's up there is likely to stay there, forever. If I need any essential boxes, I'll ask a neighbor for help.

The lesson learned here is that, despite feeling well, exercise, and trying to eat a healthy diet, some things that were once easy are now beyond me. The trick is in knowing what those things are before they do me harm. And hoping that a wrong assumption doesn't result in permanent damage.
mirocu
Chair update

Only need to get some paint for my paint gun now.
Acadian
Decrepit, glad that even though you didn't get your attic loaded, you were able to abort before you hurt yourself too badly.

Mirocu, those chairs look great!
mirocu
QUOTE(Acadian @ Jun 4 2023, 05:14 PM) *

Mirocu, those chairs look great!

A well needed upgrade smile.gif

Decrepit, I think your next project should be finding someone nearby to do attic related projects wink.gif

Glad you're ok!
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 4 2023, 10:16 AM) *

Chair update

I LOVE these chairs! And I can see in the background former projects of yours from years ago that I remember you posting at the time they went up, LOVE that they are still there and thriving!!!!!

mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 3 2023, 08:31 PM) *

Project: Evaluate "new" breakfast

I admit to having made these most recent changes with some apprehension. While I've questioned the FDA's and Heart Association's food guidelines for some time, questioning and going against their recommendations are two vastly different things. At the very least, I suspected that the switch from oatmeal-and-fruits to Bacon, an egg, half an avocado and some raspberries would put back on some or all of the weight lost due to my prior breakfast alterations. To my happy surprise, the advice followed to formulate my new breakfast has proven right, at least weightwise. Not only have I not gained weight, but actually lost some! In fact I'm now at the borderline of dropping too low!

Today's exercise-walk was the best (so far) this year. I had plenty of energy for those two steep inclines near the halfway point, and was still going strong at the end. My low-weights lifting session went well too. I still have breathing issues, but am not sure any diet is going to cure or improve Chronic Bronchiectasis. At any rate, I'm satisfied enough to keep breakfast as-is for the time being.

Project: Move boxes to attic

Feeling more energetic than usual this week, on Tuesday I tackled a years-put-off project; moving essential-to-retain, large, heavy boxes from the middle of my living-room floor to the attic. Also on the agenda; do the same with a ton of broken-down Amazon shipping boxes. I bought a construction helmet awhile back, so need no worry about cutting my head on roof nails. The flashlight was loaded with fresh batteries.

The attic is accessed via a fold-down wood ladder located in my computer room.

I started off moving three broken-down essential boxes.These were heavy enough to require tackling one at a time. The first transfer went well. The second, not so much. My left knee buckled during the climb. All that kept me from crashing to the floor was somehow being able to grab hold of the handrail located on one side of the steps. By the time I finagled that second box to the attic, I was panting up a storm. My arms were so shaky that when I attempted to pick up the flashlight, placed on the attic floor, it slipped through my fingers and rolled to the stairwell, then dropped to the computer-room floor. I sat on the attic floor some minutes, until feeling up to climbing down to retrieve the flashlight.

It was OK, though I had to fiddle with it maybe five minutes before it would turn on. I then carted the third and final broken-down essential box up the steps and positioned all three boxes where I wanted them. The final two essential boxes, which can't be broken down, proved too big to fit through the attic entry hole. (I should have measured them beforehand.)

By that point, I was exhausted beyond my limit. The project was abandoned. I did some juggling and created a new, out-of-the-way home in my bedroom for the two remaining essential boxes, and tossed all those Amazon boxes in the trash. I firmly believe that my days in the attic are behind me. Whatever's up there is likely to stay there, forever. If I need any essential boxes, I'll ask a neighbor for help.

The lesson learned here is that, despite feeling well, exercise, and trying to eat a healthy diet, some things that were once easy are now beyond me. The trick is in knowing what those things are before they do me harm. And hoping that a wrong assumption doesn't result in permanent damage.

The diet of bacon and eggs is what I eat to keep my weight down; not gain weight. It is high in protein, low in carbs = lose weight. If you ate buttered toast with it, that might balance it out by adding carbs. The good thing about it is that eating that high protein WILL increase your muscle tissue; so it is actually better for you than what you have been eating on your "heart healthy" diet. My doctor told me the same dire warnings about eggs and bacon; but my heart actually improved when I finally started eating them again; so who knows?

The thing I hate about these dire warnings the doctors and FDA give on random foods at random times is that a few years later they always retract the warning and put it down on something else = usually something they were praising for its health value a few years before. So try to eat what you like and what your body likes to be fed. If you want to gain weight you can add more carbs to your meals; but try not to do empty carbs (junk carbs) to stay healthy. Any kind of dried beans that you soak overnight and cook slowly with a hunk of meat is the best carbs you can get = they are both high in the "good" kind of carbs, but also have their own type of protein in them; and they work together with to enhance any protein you eat in the same meal.

Please be VERY careful carting stuff around and climbing into high places to store it, you scared me to death with this story! Storing all that cardboard in your attic is a fire hazard and will draw insects and rodents into your home, so you may want to rethink that. What you can do is get one of those plastic containers from somewhere like Walmart and store essential boxes broken down inside one of those. They sometimes have wheels, so are easier to move about and push under something and out of the way so you aren't tripping over them = but more importantly they keep the bugs and rodents away and eliminate the fire hazard.

If you have to go back into the attic for any reason, can your brother/neighbor/friend help? Please don't ever attempt that alone in the house again, if something happened and you fell, who would be able to help you or even know you needed help? Be safe please, we care too much about you to have you falling and no one around to save you!

mirocu
QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 13 2023, 10:04 PM) *

Chair update

I LOVE these chairs! And I can see in the background former projects of yours from years ago that I remember you posting at the time they went up, LOVE that they are still there and thriving!!!!!

Of course it's all there! All our projects have turned out nicely for us. Thanks! happy.gif

Btw, here's another update And yes, I will paint those table legs red after another coating of the yellow smile.gif
Acadian
Yup, nice work, mirocu! goodjob.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 14 2023, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 13 2023, 10:04 PM) *

Chair update

Of course it's all there! All our projects have turned out nicely for us. Thanks! happy.gif

Btw, here's another update And yes, I will paint those table legs red after another coating of the yellow smile.gif

Oh, I Love the whole set! Did you make them all? Amazing job, and I love the bright sunny yellow color you painted them!

goodjob.gif

mirocu
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, that yellow color was perfect! I'll get another bucket of it this afternoon smile.gif
mALX
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 16 2023, 07:34 AM) *

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, that yellow color was perfect! I'll get another bucket of it this afternoon smile.gif

I totally agree, it is a perfect shade of yellow! It is not too pale or too bold; it is just perfect = it feels sunny and bright!

I have to build two (small, 2 persons each) benches to go around my fire pit; trying to find some example of a bench that would be comfortable to sit in while enjoying the fire.

Did I show you the Torii Gate I made for my garden/water feature?

https://imgur.com/Zp9UmlY

The water feature isn't done yet; I still need to put rocks around the outside of it to hide the black lining.

The Torii Gate rains down into the creek below it. I love the Torii Gate; just not happy with the water feature progress so far. I am just having trouble getting it to do what I want it to, lol. I might have to add another pump to have water bubbling up out of the top rocks so the waterfalls work better.

I took a break from working on it this past week; was just too frustrated with it, lol. I did get another milk crate to hide below the surface to hold the heavy rocks when I am able to get them; just haven't added it yet.

mirocu
Ooh, what a nice garden! And I like the deck too! I'm sure you'll sort out the water happy.gif
Decrepit
QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 13 2023, 03:26 PM) *

The diet of bacon and eggs is what I eat to keep my weight down; not gain weight. It is high in protein, low in carbs = lose weight. If you ate buttered toast with it, that might balance it out by adding carbs. The good thing about it is that eating that high protein WILL increase your muscle tissue; so it is actually better for you than what you have been eating on your "heart healthy" diet. My doctor told me the same dire warnings about eggs and bacon; but my heart actually improved when I finally started eating them again; so who knows?

Here's a short video on the topic of bacon, one of many such, to warm the cockles of your heart.
mALX
QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 17 2023, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 13 2023, 03:26 PM) *

Here's a short video on the topic of bacon, one of many such, to warm the cockles of your heart.

goodjob.gif

ghastley
QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 18 2023, 11:41 AM) *

Help me out on this one. Just how does this connect with bacon?
mirocu
QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 18 2023, 05:51 PM) *

You can eat some whilst sitting by the freshly painted table smile.gif
Decrepit
Project: Survive Nephrology Appointment

I've seen the Nephrologist every so many months for over a year. The issue? I've had low Blood Sodium readings for some sixteen years. Beginning two years ago, they dropped below the chart's "safe" line. Not so low as to require immediately drastic action, but low enough for frequent monitoring. During my previous visit, there was talk of me going on salt tablets.

This got me thinking (to the limited extent that's possible). For over two decades I followed orthodoxy by eating a low sodium diet. These last several years it's been a very low sodium diet. Why take tablets when I can simply modify my diet to consume more sodium/salt rich foods? What I learned researching this eventually led me to drastically alter breakfast, from oatmeal plus fruits to bacon, egg, half an avocado, and berries. This is week five on the new breakfast.

Today's blood work shows what the doctor says is a "perfect" sodium level! No tablets for me. Nor will I have any further Nephrology visits unless things ago astray.

I was a bit worried when I told the doc how I corrected the problem, since bacon and eggs are often frowned on by the medical establishment. Needlessly. He had no (outward) problem with my breakfast, and told me to keep at it. Now, I am NOT going to mention breakfast when visiting the heart doctor next Monday, unless forced to by unexpected circumstances.
Decrepit
Project: Survive Cardiology Appointment

I arrived at the clinic's Cardio check-in desk about fifteen minutes prior to my 0900 appointment. To be told that the doctor I see is away today. The appointment had to be rescheduled. It now happens at 0900, Jul 24th. The receptionist said they tried to contact me Friday. If so, I somehow wasn't aware of it, and no message was left. They tried again this morning, and left a message. But, they called at 0830. I need to leave the house NLT 0810 to make a 0900 appointment at that clinic. No biggie, I guess. I needed to drive into town for groceries, appointment or no appointment.

Project: Health and Diet

I'm beginning week six (or is it five?) of my "new" breakfast. Switching from oatmeal-and-fruits to bacon, egg, avocado and a small amount of raspberries led to another weight drop. I'm now 125lbs, and holding steady there. That's within "normal" range for my height, so I've no complaints . . . weight wise. One noticeable improvement, I now cough up phlegm appreciably less frequently than before the change, and haven't coughed up phlegm-with-blood in several weeks! (Both a side effect of Chronic Bronchiectasis.) On my "best" days, I feel better than my "best" pre-change days. Other days, not so much.

Some weeks ago, maybe a month or over, I added every-other-day weight-lifting to my routine. Very light weight lifting. The only weights available to me are one 10-lb dumbbell, a pair of weighted wrist/ankle-wraps at 5-lb each, and a pair of wrist-wraps at what I guess to be 3ish-lb each. Truth to tell, I don't have the strength for anything heavier. Not at the moment.

Around a week ago I dug out my ancient Bullworker from under the bed. Haven't used it in any serious way since the 1970s. It's now added to my routine. Good thing about it is that it doesn't matter what fitness level you're at to get the max benefit from each exercise. Between weights and Bullworker and walks, I like to think I'm getting improving my physical health, but admit I'm likely kidding myself.
mALX

Has it really been nine years? WOW!!! It is hard to realize so much time has passed!

If I am not mistaken; it was this pic of this table that actually inspired one of my table mods in Oblivion! I liked the boards of the tabletop on it so much that I searched in the game for one like it = and found that lowest price round table was perfect! I changed the texture on it to a beautiful yellow oak texture and it became my favorite table in the game!.

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 18 2023, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 18 2023, 05:51 PM) *

You can eat some whilst sitting by the freshly painted table smile.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 19 2023, 12:35 PM) *

Project: Survive Nephrology Appointment

I've seen the Nephrologist every so many months for over a year. The issue? I've had low Blood Sodium readings for some sixteen years. Beginning two years ago, they dropped below the chart's "safe" line. Not so low as to require immediately drastic action, but low enough for frequent monitoring. During my previous visit, there was talk of me going on salt tablets.

This got me thinking (to the limited extent that's possible). For over two decades I followed orthodoxy by eating a low sodium diet. These last several years it's been a very low sodium diet. Why take tablets when I can simply modify my diet to consume more sodium/salt rich foods? What I learned researching this eventually led me to drastically alter breakfast, from oatmeal plus fruits to bacon, egg, half an avocado, and berries. This is week five on the new breakfast.

Today's blood work shows what the doctor says is a "perfect" sodium level! No tablets for me. Nor will I have any further Nephrology visits unless things ago astray.

I was a bit worried when I told the doc how I corrected the problem, since bacon and eggs are often frowned on by the medical establishment. Needlessly. He had no (outward) problem with my breakfast, and told me to keep at it. Now, I am NOT going to mention breakfast when visiting the heart doctor next Monday, unless forced to by unexpected circumstances.

This is Awesome!!! I am so glad you corrected the issue without adding another man made medication to your daily routine! If you look at animals in the wild, they crave salt and will seek it out if you put a salt lick out for them. That should tell us that salt is something the body needs; the problem always comes in when the salt is over used. My Dad tried to cut all salt and fat out of his diet; but our bodies need these things to function properly. I feel a lot of relief that you found a way to eat a healthier balance; your body is already thanking you for it if your kidney function improves! Awesome news!

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 26 2023, 04:18 PM) *

Project: Survive Cardiology Appointment

I arrived at the clinic's Cardio check-in desk about fifteen minutes prior to my 0900 appointment. To be told that the doctor I see is away today. The appointment had to be rescheduled. It now happens at 0900, Jul 24th. The receptionist said they tried to contact me Friday. If so, I somehow wasn't aware of it, and no message was left. They tried again this morning, and left a message. But, they called at 0830. I need to leave the house NLT 0810 to make a 0900 appointment at that clinic. No biggie, I guess. I needed to drive into town for groceries, appointment or no appointment.

Project: Health and Diet

I'm beginning week six (or is it five?) of my "new" breakfast. Switching from oatmeal-and-fruits to bacon, egg, avocado and a small amount of raspberries led to another weight drop. I'm now 125lbs, and holding steady there. That's within "normal" range for my height, so I've no complaints . . . weight wise. One noticeable improvement, I now cough up phlegm appreciably less frequently than before the change, and haven't coughed up phlegm-with-blood in several weeks! (Both a side effect of Chronic Bronchiectasis.) On my "best" days, I feel better than my "best" pre-change days. Other days, not so much.

Some weeks ago, maybe a month or over, I added every-other-day weight-lifting to my routine. Very light weight lifting. The only weights available to me are one 10-lb dumbbell, a pair of weighted wrist/ankle-wraps at 5-lb each, and a pair of wrist-wraps at what I guess to be 3ish-lb each. Truth to tell, I don't have the strength for anything heavier. Not at the moment.

Around a week ago I dug out my ancient Bullworker from under the bed. Haven't used it in any serious way since the 1970s. It's now added to my routine. Good thing about it is that it doesn't matter what fitness level you're at to get the max benefit from each exercise. Between weights and Bullworker and walks, I like to think I'm getting improving my physical health, but admit I'm likely kidding myself.

Getting outdoors and walking in the fresh air (if you don't live in a smoggy place) is usually always good for you; it always makes me feel better. I tend to depleted Vitamin D, and getting out in the sunshine loads me back up, it is like drinking an energy drink for me, lol.

Really glad you are seeing good results from the changes you are making! This is really exciting, I hope you keep improving!

Decrepit

For what it's worth, here's (link) a Google Earth map (link) doctored to show my current exercise-walk path, now extended to a whopping 2.34-ml. I don't see it increasing much, if any, beyond what is seen here.

Today's walk went well enough. As is often the case, I struggled on the steeper inclines leading to and through the "city" park. Endurance was good; I felt better at the end than when I started out.

Sadly, this may be my last walk-day for some time. Excessive Heat kicks in tomorrow, and will linger for days. Compounding the situation, storms are predicted most early-mornings, the one time of the day there's any possibility of avoiding excessive heat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.