Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A New Sun Rises - Maxical's Adventures
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
mALX

*** D. Foxy has graciously agreed to the use of his characters Damien "Foxy" Reynard in this episode.

Chapter 120: A Shift In Power

Uriel’s initial charge from the palace was to relieve the frustration of his enforced delay by bloodying his sword and armor as quickly as possible into as many of Malan’s army as he could.

He was a magnificent and formidable figure on horseback; his sword drawn and driving down on Malan’s giants like an avenging god every time they emerged from the vaporous gases that they somehow transformed out of in spite of the sun overhead.

Just the sight of Uriel fighting beside them seemed to rejuvenate the exhausted fighters; and for a time we all thought we were seeing victory in our grasp as the battlecries of “For Cyrodiil,” or “For the Emperor” continued to echo in the air, rallying our hearts and feet into renewed action.

Malan’s army were ghosts emerging from mists of vapor sporadically, but relentlessly. The Crimson Scar were nowhere in sight above ground, but reports from the sewers confirmed they were still present…just hiding in protection till nightfall.

The continuous onslaught of Malan’s army gave minute and short-lived sensations of victory, but then another would appear. It was a slow drain of energies and morale on the fighters, especially knowing that nighttime would bring the vampire’s full armies in force.

During a short lull in attacks Uriel stopped at the Arcane tent and dismounted, stopping by each cot and speaking to the wounded personally. When we left the tent Uriel’s pleasant smile and cajoling camaraderie ended at the tent flaps. He was livid from what he had learned from the injured.

What surprised me the most was that Uriel’s show of temper was directed at Ocato, or rather at his ‘lack of strategic decisions’ or ‘inept tactical planning‘, whatever that meant. Damien understood him instantly.

Hannibal’s warning glance effectively shut me up, he obviously didn’t want Uriel’s growing temper to direct itself onto me… any more than I did, not now when it meant everything to me that he think highly of me as a warrior in his command.

The Khajiit women had told me Ocato had ordered every available man to the battlefield, and I knew on leaving the cave that the women were being ordered to fight as well. Uriel was aware civilians had been called to battle, but not the full extent of it.

He also was not aware that they had been ordered to fight continuously till the vampires were routed, and was aghast to find none had been shifted out for rest or meals since war was declared. The fighters defending the city were exhausted, hungry, and most of the civilians were not properly equipped for battle.

The Legion and his own Imperial Army were well equipped and highly trained, but were also suffering fatigue and hunger.

Azzan hurried up immediately when Uriel rode through the Arena District gates. Despite the battered condition of Azzan’s face, it reflected a doglike devotion to Uriel as he approached. The spotless armor he was wearing when I saw him last at the Arena was in ribbons of blood-stained steel, his silver longsword badly nicked and nearly fractured.

Hannibal began healing him immediately, then Uriel sent him to the Palace to have his equipment repaired by the smithy there. “Exit through these gates, and take the most direct path to the Palace. We have just cleared the route, but that won’t last long.” Uriel reached down and clasped his shoulder and I thought Azzan would faint from the honor.

Although we didn’t see Ocato himself, Itius Hayn spotted us and strode across the quad in our direction. His expression was respectful, but that he was angry was obvious. On Uriel’s command he repeated the orders Ocato had given the Legion, and then gave a short briefing on what he knew of Ocato’s actions since leaving the Palace with Uriel’s own Imperial Army in tow.

“When Ocato declared Martial Law, he seized several buildings for the Legion’s use as outposts. They have secured the Arcane, the Black Horse Courier, the Bloodworks…here is the list Sire.”

Uriel gave a brief glance at the short list. “Who guards the rest, the Legion or the citizens themselves? Speak, man.”

Itius shifted uncomfortably. “Ocato ordered all citizens out to fight, Sire. Even the women have been armed as of today, they spent yesterday in refugee camps outside the city walls…Sire.“ Itius faltered at the growing anger on Uriel’s face.

“The majority of structures are being left unguarded?” Uriel’s tone warred between incredulous and rage.

Itius nodded. “Yes, Sire.”

“By the gods, Ocato has as much as handed the city over to them! They have been given the power and advantage over us in our own city!” Uriel fumed, then tackled Itius further.

“Several civilian fighters said they have not been shifted from battle for rest or food, their equipment was broken and useless for battle. What of your Legion forces and my Army?”

“It’s little better, Sire. Of course we are better equipped, but Ocato ordered all boots on the ground with no respite till we rout the vampires from the city.”

“He will reduce the forces to nothing while the enemy rests in the houses he has provided them and consumes the food our fighters need!” Uriel raged after dismissing Itius.

Damien‘s mask honed intensely up toward Uriel’s face before he spoke, his voice a mere whisper that should not have carried…but Khajiit have exceptional hearing.

“He may be moving his plans forward to take advantage of the war. What better cover for his plot than this? Remember that he counts on the might of Dagon to clear any situations as this out of his path once in power.”

I stumbled in shock, nearly falling face first onto the stone road. Like puzzle pieces falling into place it was all fitting. Uriel’s nightmares. Fathis said he hadn’t been able to sleep, that he’d been terribly troubled with something he wouldn‘t discuss…that it seemed he was facing his own mortality.

No wonder he was in need of a champion, someone to protect him when his own second in command was the one plotting his downfall! And of all things, to plot with Dagon! Dagon, who removed Mournhold from the maps, leaving naught but dust in its place!

For all the hatred I’ve always held for Ocato, it was still a shock to learn he was truly evil. I always thought he was just really disgusting and hated his falsetto voice. Right now I would have given anything to run him through with my sword.

But beyond the shock was a terrible wrenching inside, a feeling I was being torn in two. This newfound devotion and pride of my Emperor was now a driving force that my sword be there to protect him in what I now knew he faced…and yet…Dagon? I could barely breathe for the fear that gripped me at even the thought of trying to face down Dagon. How could I be the one? I couldn’t be, surely Akatosh didn’t plan to pit me against Mehrunes Dagon!

Part of me wanted to go back to that crying child that hesitated to swear her sword in Uriel’s defense, let him find another. But somehow I knew…I could never return to that place now. It was too late, something inside me had changed when I swore the vow to serve Uriel earlier today. I could never take that back now. But I’ve never been so afraid of anything in my life. No wonder Uriel can’t sleep, I doubt I will after this either.

No doubt I don’t understand how being an Emperor works, no doubt. But I can’t imagine why Uriel let Ocato live, knowing he plotted against the throne. I suddenly felt like a tiny pawn in a game of chess played by the greatest masters, their strategic moves well beyond my own comprehension. And yet their hands were moving me into the center of a terrible battle between the two queens, Akatosh and Dagon.

This war I had sworn myself into had nothing to do with the vampires attacking Cyrodiil. It was being staged between the gods and Daedric princes. Dear gods, what had I got myself into?

Uriel and Damien began immediately discussing a strategic coup that would take back the power and advantage from the vampires that they now held over us, and at the same time afford some way to relieve the fighters. Hannibal listened, adding his input when it seemed appropriate to do so.

“Give them no targets. They can’t fight if the enemy doesn’t show up.“ Damien’s mouth twisted in an ironic smile that held no humor.

Uriel nodded. “We must control their movements. Herd them to a destination of our choice. That will work with the Crimson Scar, but how to do it with Malan’s army when the sunlight is not affecting them? How is it they are able to continue without burning?” He looked at Hannibal for an answer, his brow knotted perplexedly.

“I can’t say for certain, but the gasses they emerge from have a slight purplish tint. It has to be a spell they are using. The purple color denotes some form of conjuration, yet they are using it to transform somehow. It‘s unlike any spell I know of…” Hannibal trailed off mid sentence.

“They seem to be emerging from the air itself, could it be they are just using invisibility and dispelling it?” I turned to Hannibal.

Hannibal shook his head no. “This is no dispelling. It has to be a powerful spell.”

“Fathis said that necromancers in Morrowind used a powerful magic that was very different from that of the Arcane. Malan is from Morrowind. Didn‘t you say once that you read his journals in the Crystal Tower, Hannibal? Did he speak of spells at all?”

“Malan was never formally associated with necromancy, Maxical. His leanings in that area were merely to obtain the blood needed for his experimentation in creating a race of super vampires. Most vampires despise necromancy.”

“Here in Cyrodiil they claim that, but Fathis said in Morrowind it was a very thin line between the two. Since the practice of necromancy was banned here, they may not want to admit their connections to it.“

Damien sat up, his eyes through the mask slits reflecting intrigue in the turn of conversation. “Malan is no ordinary vampire. He created himself through the use of necromancy. What spells Fathis was referring to could very well be considered useful to the aspirations Malan had in creating his army.”

“Reanimation?” Hannibal’s face went white.

“You taught me to always burn vampire bodies so they couldn’t be reanimated, Hannibal. That’s how I got all that vampire dust to give you out of Crowhaven. The Legion has been piling the vampire bodies up as if they planned to burn them, has no one been doing it?”

Damien snapped his fingers. “That would account for their ability to attack in full sunlight and the low number of vampire bodies to human. We may have been fighting the same ones over and over again. They are knocking down our numbers and weakening our strength by day, then attacking by night.”

“But where could they be casting from? They would still have to be above ground.” Hannibal glanced along the roofline of the buildings.

Damien turned to Uriel. “The citizens have all been ordered out of their homes to fight by your illustrious Ocato. Has anyone checked those buildings to ensure the vampires aren’t using them to shield themselves from the sunlight?”

The end result of that conversation was that Uriel met with the Legion in each district and ordered the vampire bodies be burned immediately after being killed. He also ordered all houses and shops to be searched and secured.

Damien was right, the vampires had taken refuge in the homes and shops. Combined task forces went door to door, clearing each building and setting up a guard post outside as the building was secured. Malan’s army lost a lot of manpower in the raids.

Battlemages led the charge into each home blasting a concussion of shock spells. The Legion troops followed, killing the nests of vampires hiding inside that had been using them as cover from the sunlight.

Once each building was cleared, all sewer accesses into it were barricaded and the storm awnings dropped down and tightly latched from within.

The civilian militia forces were divided into platoon sized units, striking a balance of fighting techniques in each unit. The home and shop owners were returned to their properties and ordered to each house one of these civilian units, more if they had the room. Once sealed inside, their orders were to work in shifts to ensure the protection of that building and each other. There was an immediate sense of relief among them.

Uriel ordered a citywide curfew, and at Damien’s suggestion included the Legion and his Army in the curfew; although he held them in readiness to act if needed.

All citizens, even the Legion and his Army were ordered to empty the streets completely before dusk. When the vampires emerged from the sewers, they would find themselves without any prey to attack.

McBadgere
*Applauds*...Yes!!...

*Wants to fight for Uriel!!!*...

Brilliant chapter...Most excellent!!!... biggrin.gif ...

I loved the growing realisation that Ocato was, in fact, evil...And had issued idiotic orders to mess everyone about...

Nice one!!... biggrin.gif ...
Athynae
Wow, I love it!! And Damien is well worth getting to know a bit better. It's intense and holds you beginning to end. Great story mALX, keep it up.

Sweet mercy I hope Max is the one that gets to skewer Ocato. biggrin.gif
D.Foxy
First, I heartily approve of everything Malx has done with me...sometimes I think she must be telepathic.

Next, this chapter is pretty good. Malx has now struck a good balance between explanation, dialogue, description, drama and action.

Bravo my Red Riter!!! You have become an excellent disciple of the strategic school of Gotthard Heinrici!!!
King Coin
What a terrible fate these women and orphans have. Especially the ‘beasts’ sent in to fight vampires with NOTHING. The Emperor will put an end to that.

Whoa! For a second there I thought that Uriel was going to do something to Maxical after she told him he should go into battle. I’m glad he decided to saddle up instead. Lol!

Damien figured out who the bird is finally!

I’m kind of surprised the emperor is willing to take Maxical to battle with him… She doesn’t have a good record…

What a bleak picture of the Imperial City.

Maxical’s growing up! biggrin.gif

I’m very glad Uriel is in command now. Finally progress!
Grits
As Maxical said, the puzzle pieces are falling into place!

For all the hatred I’ve always held for Ocato, it was still a shock to learn he was truly evil. I always just thought he was just disgusting and hated his falsetto voice. Right now I would have given anything to run him through with my sword.

I have to quote this for being pure Maxical. She seems transfigured in this chapter. She still shows all of the spirit that I love, but with a new purpose, a driving force as she puts it.

Part of me wanted to go back to that crying child that hesitated to swear her sword in Uriel’s defense, let him find another. But somehow I knew…I could never return to that place now. It was too late, something inside me had changed when I swore the vow to serve Uriel earlier today. I could never take that back now. But I’ve never been so afraid of anything in my life. No wonder Uriel can’t sleep, I doubt I will after this either.

This passage made me cheer and weep at the same time. No joke. Facing something that’s unavoidable with both terror and absolute conviction is a very specific feeling, and you’ve captured it here so convincingly that it hurts.

The war council between Uriel, Damien, Hannibal, and Maxical speaking up for the absent Fathis was fun to read, and the quick action that followed was a huge relief. Whew! Order returns to the Imperial City. For now…
Acadian
What an emotionally charged and stirring episode! I’m completely with Grits in sharply feeling Maxical’s swirling pride, fear and trepidation as her destiny continues to clarify before her.

You do a wonderful job of showing what a few tactically smart changes can do to help turn things around.

Interesting questions raised here as to how much of Ocato’s less than stellar orders and tactics are lack of skill and how much is intentional undermining of (supposedly) his own forces. I confess to sharing Maxical’s desire to run him through.

Well done! biggrin.gif
mALX

@ McBadgere - Thank you, Thank you McB !!! I spent the whole week before writing that studying best strategic planning for war by Generals, worst mistakes Generals have made through history, etc. - trying to figure out how someone as smart as Ocato could mess it up without it looking deliberate (and how Uriel could counter his sabotage). It means a whole lot that you liked it, especially since you have a genius for plot-weaving !!

@ Athynae - Thank you so much Athynae !! I have been trying hard to do justice to Foxy's "Damien" character as he explained it, so very much appreciate that he has come out well !!!

@ Foxy - Thank you so much for your approval of the tactics I came up with for "Damien" - he is a complex character to write for, lol. I had to study all kinds of war strategies to accomodate what I thought may be his thinking. Appreciate a lot your donation of him to the story and the kind words about being telepathic, lets me know all that studying to write his role was worth the efforts !!

@ King Coin - Thank you so much KC !! Uriel was dying to get out there and fight, he just needed one straw to push him there. The thought of Ocato leading his troops did it. Uriel taking Maxical into battle with him - I guess he wants to find out before he needs her to protect him if she can, (or what he is up against), ROFL !!! Thanks again, KC !!

@ Grits - You can't imagine how much your kind words touched me, Thank you so very much Grits !!! You got absolutely every nuance of emotion I was hoping would come across, that means so much to hear !!! <3

@ Acadian - Thank you, Thank you Acadian !!! That you caught it and felt it too, and for knowing Maxical's heart so well - that means a lot to me !! You ROCK !!!

mALX

*** D. Foxy has graciously agreed to the use of his characters Damien "Foxy" Reynard in this episode.

Chapter 121: Cats In The Cradle

Uriel and Damien wanted to be present when the Talos Plaza was cleared by the Legion and personally take charge of clearing the mansion where I had seen the bird Jak climbing into the dome. Hannibal and I were told to wait in the lower rotunda of the Palace while they prepared.

Uriel returned shortly with a large scroll he rolled out onto the roundtable in the center of the room. It was a complete map of the Talos Plaza, every building in exquisite detail.

Damien entered not long after with a team of his own elite mages, exactly like those he’d used to trap the Immortal at the Arena. How had he gathered them so quickly? As if Uriel was not there, Damien took charge. I suddenly realized there is a vast difference between an assassin and a murderer.

Damien was rapidly calling them forward, pointing to places on one building, giving each a separate task that as a whole could have taken down the Palace itself in the space of minutes.

Several were to actually scale the outside of the building to cover the dome and balconies before Damien and Uriel charged in the front door. For the first time I noticed the strange equipment hanging from some of these Mage’s belting where another’s sword may be, possibly equipment to help them in shimmying up the outside of a building. This was military precision, a mission as intricately planned as if he’d had years to plot every movement of the team.

The odd look of the Mage’s feet caught my eye, then suddenly I realized their feet were bared but somehow colored black. I had a sudden vision of that Khajiit fighting in bare feet, and wondered if it was to silence their movements or enhance their ability to climb…probably both.

Damien turned to Hannibal next. “You’ll cover the street,” he turned and pointed at two more, “You two take the back, here…and here.” He was pointing at places on the map.

Like a soldier taking orders from a general, Hannibal began preparing for his task. I was reeling in shock. Hannibal? I tried to remember the interactions between Hannibal and Damien in the Arena, had they known each other before? Dear gods, had they worked together in the past?

For the second time in my life I realized…there were depths to Hannibal one could not even begin to fathom.

The feeling in my mind was the same as when I was a child and discovered Hannibal was meeting with vampires for his scientific research.

Back then I envisioned him as some kind of super hero leading a double life. Mild mannered Dean of the University by day, but at night donning a magic long white cloak that would enable him to fly out of danger. When he put it on he would transform into ’Hannibal Traven, Super Research Scientist’, who delved through the dark underworld of vampirism to find a cure for the dreaded disease.

Now suddenly he was secretly an assassin too? I stood gaping at Hannibal, now envisioning the magic cloak was black, a greatcoat with layers of capes flapping in the wind as he flew into a fortress to assassinate a…an evil king! ‘Hannibal the Assassin‘, deftly dodging the arrows whizzing toward him from below…

“Are you paying attention?” Damien snapped his fingers in my face to be sure he had my attention.

“Er…yes….er…I heard you.” What had he said?

I glanced back at Hannibal, hoping for a clue. His face…his whole attitude was business-like, a man on a mission. I almost expected to see the magic black greatcoat appear in place of his Arch Mage robes.

When I looked back at Damien he was staring hard at me, his eyes glittering behind that mask. “Do you have any questions about the task given you? There can be no error, this is Malan we are going after …”

“Malan?” I gasped, interrupting him.

"Have you not been listening to me?" Damien asked…or demanded.

The Emperor was standing beside Damien staring, everyone around me preparing for battle like some kind of military unit…I couldn’t admit I’d been daydreaming.

“Er…yes, I heard all…er…unless you just care to…er…drill it into my brain, so to speak…" I was torn between wishing he would and trying not to look hopeful. I couldn’t have the Emperor think I hadn’t been paying attention at a crucial time.

Damien’s eyes looked amused suddenly. He turned to Uriel and slapped his arm. “You’d do well to remember that facial expression, that is how she looks when she lies.”

My face felt like it may catch on fire. What if I failed the mission and cost Uriel his life because I didn’t know the role I was to perform?

“I’m sorry, Sire. I…it’s true. I was momentarily stunned by thoughts of Hannibal in a black greatcoat.”

Hannibal’s head swiveled toward me like an owl’s, his mouth gaped open till his chin buried into the neck of his robe. A titter sounded from behind me and I turned to see that cretin Bosmer standing there leering.

Damien broke into roars of laughter, stumbling to the nearby bench and collapsing onto it. He pulled a handkerchief out of a fold in his suit and began wiping his eyes beneath the mask, then patting down the streams of tears rolling out from beneath it.

Uriel’s face looked like Owyn’s did right before he would completely blow his temper, except he wasn‘t shaking like Owyn always did when he was about to rage.

“You and the old Arch Mage, eh?” The leering Bosmer jabbed me in the back.

I suddenly remembered his connection to Ocato, was struck forcibly that he was the base-born son of the very one plotting against Uriel. I spun around, standing on my toes in an attempt to loom over him.

“Your ’father’ isn’t here to protect you, I'll snaggle more things on you than those teeth!" I hissed, glaring into his eyes. I gave him the Arena signal that lets the opponent know you are going to finish them.

A snortling choke erupted from Damien and he went off into another peal of laughter, dotting his face almost continuously with the handkerchief now. Hannibal was still frozen in his gape.

Uriel breathed loudly in what sounded like exasperation and turned away, clasping and unclasping the hilt of his sword. I couldn’t have him disappointed in me, wished that Damien would stop laughing. I moved till I stood in front of Uriel, my eyes pleading for his understanding.

“I swear to you Sire, it was not in lust! It was just…when you know someone most of your life and suddenly become aware of new aspects of them…they become your hero anew. That’s all it was.”

Somehow I felt Uriel understood exactly what I meant. The anger left his face and his hand on the hilt of his sword relaxed. He hesitated before responding, searching my eyes. What I read in his was as if a long distant memory was awakened, or recognized in me.

“If you are to become the ‘Hero of Destiny’, you will need to find your own heroes to emulate. You have chosen well in Fathis and Traven.” He lay his hand on top of my head as the priests in the chapels do when conferring a blessing, resting it there for just a second before turning back to the table.

I glanced apologetically at Hannibal and found him flushed and beaming, smiling in pride at me. I don’t know if it was because I admitted he was my hero or because the Emperor thought he was a good choice to be one.

Damien came over and patted my back, his cheeks still dampened from his tears. “Your task is to stay on the street with Traven.“ He turned to Uriel. “Are we ready?”

Uriel nodded, and they led the way out of the Palace walking side by side. I fell in beside Hannibal and he gave me a quick hug. “The ‘Super Scientist’ again?” He chided me, but I could tell he was pleased.

As soon as we entered through the District gates I heard a sound meant only for Khajiit ears, almost like the one Nisaba had made in the cave to call the others to her aide…but instinctively I knew this one was a warning sound.

For a split-second I thought there was a slight blur of movement around the statue of Akatosh, but by the time we actually reached the circle there was nothing there. Nothing…or was there? Everything was dead still, quiet. I don’t know how I could feel it, or why…but for some reason I had the odd sensation of…stealth in the air, like someone was watching us.

The thought it could be Malan sent a chill down my back. I must have clutched Hannibal’s arm tightly. He was trying to extract my grasp from his robe when I heard a hiss.

“Maxical”

I spun around, there was nothing…no one. Was I hearing things? I must have been. My nerves were probably on edge…no. I wasn’t imagining it. Damien was glancing around, his feet planted at the ready for combat. I saw his arm tensed and moved out from his side, ready to draw his weapon in a heartbeat. Whatever I heard, his sharp ears had picked up on it too.

“Er…who’s there?“ I choked out, suddenly feeling my bladder threatening to empty itself.

The pile of bodies beside me moved slightly, and to my horror the one on top rolled toward me. Before I could shriek Damien’s hand had clamped over my mouth. Slowly the pile began to spread and Nisaba crawled out from beneath, along with another of the Khajiit women.

“Nisaba!” I gasped into Damien‘s hand. He removed it. “It’s Nisaba, the girl I told you about, Sire.“ I explained quickly, giving her a hand up. “Nisaba, what happened? Were you hurt?”

“No, we hid in the bodies so the vampires wouldn’t smell us.” She brushed her hands against the now bloodied rags of her clothing.

“That’s disgusting, how could you stand it?” I didn’t refrain from hugging her, in spite of how gross the thought.

Uriel signaled Damien. “I want this Nisaba girl there too, send them both to the Palace now, we don‘t need them here while this is going on.”

Nisaba shook her head, pleading into my eyes to help her. “My sisters…”

“She can’t leave her sisters, Sire.”

Uriel waved his hand. “Her sister can come as well. Have Evangeline Beanique show you where the Battlemages bathing pool is and supply you with clean clothes. Tell her you will be staying in the Lords Manor family quarters.”

“We will?” I know I looked as shocked as Nisaba.

As they headed toward the mansion I heard Damien speaking to Uriel about the brilliant strategy Nisaba had used to keep the vampires from smelling them. I smiled at Nisaba. Things would get better for her now. She made a sound and the sisters began emerging from the piles of bodies along the street.

I tugged on Hannibal’s sleeve. “Hannibal, I need some scrolls. Any kind, I just need two of them. All my stuff is back at the Arena.”

“Why, what are you planning to duplicate?”

“Nisaba and her sisters need medicine, they can’t ask Uriel for it.”

Hannibal nodded, handing me a ’Cure Disease’ potion and three chameleon scrolls. “I understand exactly what you are saying. You get going now, so I can concentrate.” I kissed his cheek and started toward the gate.

Damien’s voice floated quietly across the quad as I was walking away. “Uriel, are you sure she said ‘sister‘? I’m quite positive I heard her say ‘sisters‘.“

I looked back to wave at Hannibal and his eyes bulged when he saw the troop of cats at the gate.

He mouthed the words, “Oh no.”

ghastley
the mansion I had seen the bird Jak climbing into the dome of.

A preposition is a word you should never end a sentence with. May I suggest "the mansion where I had seen the bird Jak climbing into the dome"?

And did I get the idea that Maxical is about to attempt something involving magic? That can't end well.
mALX
QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 5 2012, 04:23 PM) *

the mansion I had seen the bird Jak climbing into the dome of.

A preposition is a word you should never end a sentence with. May I suggest "the mansion where I had seen the bird Jak climbing into the dome"?

And did I get the idea that Maxical is about to attempt something involving magic? That can't end well.

Oh, Thank You for the help! I fixed it, and appreciate that a lot!
Athynae
I was with Damien on the bench, laughing hysterically, I think at one point I actually fell in the floor but I was so engrossed in the story that I'm not sure.

Yep, I remember bare feet, I roamed all over the Carolinas as a kid and the only time I wore shoes was to school or if it was cold. Funny that it was for the same reason....

The idea that Uriel is a "real" person certainly enhances this story. I was happy to see his understanding of Max's explanation, and that it also took him back to his choosing of heroes, or so it seemed. I get the feeling that he was also slightly amused at her stammering and back peddling when he finally understood.

The way Nisaba and the others hid was both ingenious and revolting, but 'desperate times call for desperate measures'. Good stuff there.

“Uriel, are you sure she said ‘sister‘? I’m quite positive I heard her say ‘sisters‘.“
and

I looked back to wave at Hannibal and his eyes bulged when he saw the troop of cats at the gate.

He mouthed the words, “Oh no.”

I learned long ago not to eat or drink ANYTHING when reading Max thankfully, but I almost suffocated on these, I couldn't breath I was laughing so hard!! Guess I need an oxygen tank too.

Great write, loving it but you know that, waiting for more!!
Grits
How fun to see Damien in charge, taking decisive action. I imagine that digging her toe claws in would really help with Maxical's footing, although probably not in her past on the Arena sands.

Back then I envisioned him as some kind of super hero leading a double life.

Maxical’s heroic vision of Hannibal had me in stitches. The disastrous explanations that followed were even more hilarious.

It was just…when you know someone most of your life and suddenly become aware of new aspects of them…they become your hero anew. That’s all it was.”

That was so sweet! And true. Hannibal’s quick hug showed how much he cares for Maxical, and how very good he is at handling her situations.

Then there was more tension and some serious yuck, and I love the laugh at the end with the troop of cats at the gate. What a ride!! smile.gif
Acadian
“You’d do well to remember that facial expression, that is how she looks when she lies.”
My face felt like it may catch on fire.’

This was purrrfect! biggrin.gif

I liked the image that Maxical had of Super Hannibal and the little hug he gave her. happy.gif

And the Khajiit all buried under the bodies! How horrifyingly brilliant, and I could envision it perfectly. Looks like Maxical is going to dupe up some vamp juice. ohmy.gif Eeep!
King Coin
So much for Maxical growing up…

“I’m sorry, Sire. I…it’s true. I was momentarily stunned by thoughts of Hannibal in a black greatcoat.”
laugh.gif

Ugh, hiding in the bodies. I’m glad they had the presence of mind to do so though.

The Lord’s Manor is going to be full of Khajiit now laugh.gif
McBadgere
*Applauds heartily*...

Most excellent...

1)
It means a whole lot that you liked it, especially since you have a genius for plot-weaving !!
As a wise man once said, no, you do me too much honour...And you mistake plot-weaving for c*cking about... biggrin.gif ...But really, your story is absolutely brilliant and I'm always in awe of everyone's talent and hard work here...

2) Cats In The Cradle?...Oh-ho-ho yes!! When I were a lad, Ugly Kid Joe did a version and I spent much time listening to it...Repeatedly...And just lately, it seems to be haunting me again... biggrin.gif ...

3) Oh hell yeah!...I love all the characters in yer story...They make me laugh. You have a genius with them all... biggrin.gif ...

Brilliant story...

D.Foxy
The fictional and real Damiens both thank you, MalX MinX.

And this time I waited till I was at 35000 feet before I read.

I did not let any gas escape my mouth. I kept it tight shut.

I, however, make no guarantees of the other end.
Athynae
And he *sneaks* in and *sneaks* out again!

Hey Foxy, did you remember to put the plane on auto pilot?
D.Foxy
Auto Pileup with a plane on top? Eeeeek. What an accident that must have been. I wonder how that happened? Perhaps an airplane tried to land on a freeway....

whistling.gif
Athynae
Is that kind of like "Pretty please with sugar on top?"
mALX

@ Ghastley - Thank you so much for stopping in, and for your help! Both are always greatly appreciated !!

@ Athynae - Now that's what I love to hear !!! Thank you so much Athynae, your comment made my day!!

@ Grits - Thank you so much Grits !!! You always seem to hone in on my favorite parts of the chapters, lol That last one you quoted was the first step toward a better understanding between Uriel and Maxical. (and boy will she need that, lol).

@ Acadian - Thank you so much Acadian !! I'm really glad Maxical's hero worship of Hannibal came through! It was kind of a blatant reminder to Uriel of how young she still is, lol. I am thrilled by your great memory and following the plot - you knew right away Maxical was talking about duping vampire juices !!! That tickled me that you caught that !!

@ King Coin - Lol, yeah - that gave Uriel a clear view of what he's dealing with in Maxical. She'll def need more maturing, but getting a glimpse of himself as a youth (in her) may help change the dislike he has for her. (hopefully, lol).

The Lord’s Manor is going to be full of Khajiit now

Poor Ocato, ROFL !!! Thank you so much, KC !!!

@ McBadgere - Thank you so much McB !!! That anyone likes the characters means a lot to me, I so appreciate your kind words !!

@ Foxy - I want you to carefully reread the last part of your comment, you have only yourself to blame for this next chapter !!! ROFL !! Thank you so much Foxy, and for letting me use Damien in my story. He has added some great storyline !!!

mALX

Chapter 122: Timing Is Everything

“Is that man your father?” Nisaba pointed toward Uriel’s back.

“My father! No, I was adopted by the Blademaster from the orphanage.”

“I know…I meant is he your real father.”

“Of course not! Well, technically I don’t know, since I’m a mix. But what made you think that?”

“You called him ‘Sire.’”

“Oh, you mean like because I’m beast species, that kind of sire?”

Nisaba’s cheeks flushed red, but she nodded.

“You don’t know who he is? Nisaba, that is the Emperor. And he has ord…er…invited us to stay in his Palace.” Eight pairs of Khajiit eyes goggled at me.

“Why?” Nisaba’s suspicious look spread rapidly amongst the other women. “How did he know my name?”

“I told him about you, about the vow we made as children, Nisaba. That night in the cave I remembered us swearing a vow together, I think it was right before I left the orphanage. I only remember that we were crying…and that’s all I can remember about it. I’m sorry, Nisaba. I’d give anything if I could remember what I promised. I don’t know why I can’t remember anything…or anybody from back then. And I know if you have to tell me what it was that it will be an insult added to the injury of me not fulfilling my vow. I told him that I had to make up to you the vow I didn’t keep as a child. He is a good man, Nisaba. Honorable. He understood.”

Nisaba’s eyes followed Uriel’s progress across the quad toward the mansion I had seen Jak the bird enter. I barely heard what she said. She whispered so quietly, I don’t think she even knew she spoke aloud.

“He was in my dream last night…”

“You’ve seen him before?” I had an eerie feeling in the pit of my stomach as Nisaba shook her head no, like the gods were moving pieces into place…but dear gods, for what?

A chill went down my spine. Akatosh and Mehrunes Dagon…and me and Nisaba. And suddenly I had an overwhelming sensation that it had been us for eras in time, like our destinies had crossed lifetimes ago, or maybe our paths were ordained to cross from the beginning of time.

“Did you feel that too, Nissy?” I could see on her face she did, read it in her eyes. Nisaba suddenly looked so vulnerable.

“In my dream, a dragon said that you and I were time, and the one you called Sire was destiny, but that soon we would…become the destiny and Sire would become time.“

“It had to be Akatosh, he is the dragon god of time. I‘m scared, Nissy.” It was just barely a whisper.

“Me too.”

We clung to each other tightly, as if somehow it could stop whatever was happening. She pulled back suddenly and pointed at the mansion. “What are they doing?”

The men were shimmying up the side of the mansion like the monkeys had done that day in the Arena. And then it struck me that these women would defend Malan with their life if they saw him getting attacked.

“Come on, we’ve got to go right away.” I pulled Nisaba by the hand and shoved the gate open, hurrying through.

******* Malan as Jakben Imbel (after entering Imbel Manor Dome as Jak the bird - Chapter 116).

Jak was fuming as he climbed down through the trapdoor from his dome. He was only a few steps down into his quarters when he spotted Janus Hassildor standing by his dining table pouring a glass of wine into a stemmed glass.

“What the hell…what are you doing here, lad? Did you know your chosen is out there right now, wandering the streets in a city full of ancient vampires?”

“She gave her word she would stay sealed in the Bloodworks…“ Janus broke off at Jak’s roar.

“ARGH! Ain’t you got a nose that told you she’d left it?”

“Of course I…but…er…she told me not to come back without Fathis. I need your help finding him.”

Jak gaped at Janus. “You plan on bringing her husband on your honeymoon? Tell me the truth, lad. Are you a little…backwards?”

“Of course not! She made me swear a vow I’d bring him back safe or vowed me as her enemy for eternity! I followed his scent to Skingrad, he’s there…the scent is strong, but I can’t tell where it is coming from.”

Jak felt the hold on his temper slipping as he gawked at Janus, sputtering and shaking his head. “I can’t believe this! You got a ring in your nose, lad? Good gods, all those years of waiting…and finally you leave your lair…for this!”

“…Huh? …What?”

“You want to know what? I’ll tell you what! I wish I’d never set eyes on you, Hassildor. You’re a waste of that beautiful Immortal bloodline you carry. Fifty years, and you couldn’t even make one! Now rescuing the husband of your chosen instead of burying your blade in him? Not to mention…you’re a jinx, lad! You’ve brought trouble like I’ve never seen in centuries! A lifetime of building armies…ruined! In just weeks you’ve destroyed centuries of planning!”

“I didn’t cause this, it was Malan! I was this close to him, would have killed him if I‘d been free…” Janus held his hands up to indicate the distance as Jak slumped down on into a chair, trying to get control of his tongue. He immediately flew back up as if he’d been bitten.

“YOOWWW!”

“What is it? Jak, are you all right? Ew, what are you doing?” Janus gawked at him.

Jak ignored him, digging his hand deeply into the back of his pants and loincloth. Janus snatched a cloth napkin from the table and held it over his mouth.

“Er…hey, you probably want me to give you some privacy…”

Jak’s hand came out with a small black lump in it. “GAAAAH! You see this lad? You see what you‘ve done to me?”

“Dear gods, don’t show me your turd!” Janus backed toward the door, waving the napkin like a flag at Jak.

“It’s not a turd, you idiot! It’s a black fox! A statue! Look!” Jak held it out to Janus.

“GAAAAH! I’m not touching that thing, you just pulled it out of your butt!”

“I did not!”

“I saw you!”

Jak ignored that, thinking rapidly. “This means he’s been close enough to me to plant it without me knowing. I have to leave town, Hassildor. Remember, you gave your seal on it that I’d be welcome at your castle.” Jak patted his breast pocket to indicate the invitation Janus had signed and sealed with his signet ring.

“Who was close to you? Are you talking about Malan? And what about helping me find Fathis? You know I can‘t go back there without my chosen, nor will she go with me, unless I show her Fathis first.”

“Where’s your head at, Hassildor? You should be wanting to kill the man, not save him! You should be driven to keep those ancients out there from drinking her blood, not in here drinking my wine!”

“I was waiting for you, I can’t keep her safe and find him, nor come back without him.”

“Then tell her you need her with you to rescue him and for the gods sake take the smell of her blood away from here before it’s too late! Were you were dropped on your head as a child?”

Janus paused, his face brightening. “That’s a good idea, Jak. And no, I‘m not addled. Just not used to all this…subterfuge.”

Jak snorted. “Your vampire nature is, if you’d just let it out! It would know exactly how to handle your chosen. Nothing compares to the feel of this hunt. It brings out everything within you, powers you never knew you had…you are a god staking claim on her, bringing her to your lair. You don’t deserve the experience if you’re not going to live it. You do know the vampire has to be out when you bring her into your lair? ”

“I know that.” Janis scoffed, but the look on his face showed surprise.

“Hadn’t thought of that, did you? You’ll let it out in the bedroom too, if you’re smart. Not even a Dunmer can compare to what our nature gives us.”

“What?”

“Good gods, don’t tell me you were idiot enough…are you saying you never used your nature to please even the prostitutes you paid? Oh, lad. You’d better let me come visit, you obviously need me calling instructions in your ear when the time comes.”

“I’m sure I know how to handle my business without help! …Er, but of course you’re welcome to come. …Although I hope you wash your hands before you go.”

“I didn’t dig in my butt!”

“I saw you! Didn’t you just say she was right outside? I don’t smell her close at all.”

“She shrieked like a banshee and bolted for the Palace district when she saw the bird. Odd, that. She liked it fine earlier, stroked me all over. Not sure what scared her…what are you glaring at?”

“Don’t ask what you already know. And how dare you spy on and disrupt my romantic interlude…”

“Romantic! Is that what you call it? Looked more like two schoolchildren scrapping in the playground! I’ll give your ancient line a lot of credit for picking a chosen that is as interested in rats breeding as you are.”

“It is not about rats breeding, only their libido…”

Jak held his hand up to stop him. “I heard the whole thing while I was eavesdropping. Listen, lad. I’ll do you a favor. I doubt you’ve got what it takes to get her out of this city, better let me do it. I’ll bring her to you, just wait for me at the Inn in Weye.”

Jak leaned over and banged on the wall. Gemellus Axius hurried in.

“My Lord? Did you call me?”

“Yes, Gemellus. Pack Hassildor’s and my things for a long trip, and make it fast.”

“I’ll pack my own.” Janus said stiffly.

Jak scowled, but didn‘t argue. “You’d better be fast, something tells me this mansion won’t be safe for either of us much longer.

** The black fox statuette was placed in Malan's diaper loincloth in the "Sneakers" Update section of (Chapter 101, page 49)

** The invitation for Jak to visit Castle Skingrad that Janus wrote and sealed was from (Chaper 85, page 37)

D.Foxy
I shall now go and take a two-hour shower. I will need it, after coming out of the Malan butt...

Strange...

Normally I come INTO butts - or wait a minute, shouldn't that be 'abnormally'???

whistling.gif

What? You'all a-looking at me AGAIN????

I meant I came into being the butt of JOKES normally! Really! You'all need to have your brains washed....

rollinglaugh.gif
King Coin
Poor Ocato, ROFL !!! Thank you so much, KC !!!

I somehow don’t feel too bad for him. laugh.gif

I love the interaction with Nisaba! She’s been locked away all her life, so of course she wouldn’t know who the emperor is!

What a dream Nissy had! Makes me wonder if she's involved in the MQ when it rolls around.

Janus, Malan, and the statuette!! rollinglaugh.gif
Athynae
blink.gif Did he, no, wait...right now we are experiencing the silent pause, stunned silence I believe it's called, before everyone erupts into uncontrollable laughter....

mALX this one was...well, perfectly perfect. The way you played the whole Foxy scene was breathtakingly hilarious.

And playing Janus as a virginal vampire either that or he was dropped on his head.....priceless

A little fear inducing with the whole Nisaba/Max part but equally as awesome.

And once again Foxy pops his HEAD in, leaves a giggling statue in our butt, then disappears like he had planned it all along.

I'll be laughing for the rest of the day you two, thanks Max!! And Foxy, you jest ain't rite!!!
treydog
Chapter 120

What I want to do is quote all of the first 3 paragraphs.... Instead, let us leave it at this- your description makes clear that Uriel is the true heir of Talos, and not Emperor merely by an "accident of birth."

The revelations of Ocato's hidden agenda- combined with his ineptitude.... Were it possible to despise him more, I would. But his treatment of the orphans made him as loathsome as possible already. I have a feeling there will be more about that as time goes along.

[quote]No wonder he was in need of a champion, someone to protect him when his own second in command was the one plotting his downfall! And of all things, to plot with Dagon! Dagon, who removed Mournhold from the maps, leaving naught but dust in its place![/quote]

[quote]But beyond the shock was a terrible wrenching inside, a feeling I was being torn in two. This newfound devotion and pride of my Emperor was now a driving force that my sword be there to protect him in what I now knew he faced…and yet…Dagon? I could barely breathe for the fear that gripped me at even the thought of trying to face down Dagon. How could I be the one? I couldn’t be, surely Akatosh didn’t plan to pit me against Mehrunes Dagon! [/quote]

And the poor kitty begins to get a glimmer of what is expected of her!

[quote]This war I had sworn myself into had nothing to do with the vampires attacking Cyrodiil. It was being staged between the gods and Daedric princes. Dear gods, what had I got myself into?[/quote]

There is a certain half-elven girl in a cave on Solstheim who is asking a similar question just about now.

The fact that Maxical's memory of Malan's origin is the KEY piece of information is simply wonderful.

Chapter 121

[quote]I suddenly realized there is a vast difference between an assassin and a murderer.[/quote]

[quote]Like a soldier taking orders from a general, Hannibal began preparing for his task. I was reeling in shock. Hannibal? I tried to remember the interactions between Hannibal and Damien in the Arena, had they known each other before? Dear gods, had they worked together in the past?[/quote]

[quote]For the second time in my life I realized…there were depths to Hannibal one could not even begin to fathom.[/quote]

“[quote]Are you paying attention?” Damien snapped his fingers in my face to be sure he had my attention.

“Er…yes….er…I heard you.” What had he said?

“Er…yes, I heard all…er…unless you just care to…er…drill it into my brain, so to speak…" I was torn between wishing he would and trying not to look hopeful. I couldn’t have the Emperor think I hadn’t been paying attention at a crucial time.[/quote]

Only YOU, my dear wonderful mALX, could take a council of war from deadly serious to full-on snortling, Mountain Dew-spurting hilarity.

[quote]“If you are to become the ‘Hero of Destiny’, you will need to find your own heroes to emulate. You have chosen well in Fathis and Traven.” He lay his hand on top of my head as the priests in the chapels do when conferring a blessing, resting it there for just a second before turning back to the table.[/quote]

And THEN- to bring it back- to show us, through Uriel’s eyes what Maxical will become… This is simply amazing writing.

The ruse used by Nisaba and her sisters was brilliant and heart-wrenching. And AGAIN you bring us back from the contemplation of the horror of their previous moments with this:

[quote]Damien’s voice floated quietly across the quad as I was walking away. “Uriel, are you sure she said ‘sister‘? I’m quite positive I heard her say ‘sisters‘.“

He mouthed the words, “Oh no.”[/quote]

Now THAT was an ending to a chapter!

Chapter 122

Nisaba’s understandable and yet hilarious confusion as to who Uriel is adds a perfect bit of reality to the story. And I am unavoidably reminded of the line- “A cat may look at a king.”

[quote]Nisaba’s eyes followed Uriel’s progress across the quad toward the mansion I had seen Jak the bird enter. I barely heard what she said. She whispered so quietly, I don’t think she even knew she spoke aloud.

“He was in my dream last night…”

“In my dream, a dragon said that you and I were time, and the one you called Sire was destiny, but that soon we would…become the destiny and Sire would become time.“[/quote]

Wow- just... wow. I think perhaps one day, I might HOPE to write like that.

[quote]Jak gaped at Janus. “You plan on bringing her husband on your honeymoon? Tell me the truth, lad. Are you a little…backwards?”[/quote]

And then- oh, let me catch my breath. The moment with Jak’s “discovery” of the black fox statue….

Which is of course followed by Jak’s…. ah…. “tutelage” in The Art of Vampiric Love (soon to be a major picture that moves).

Thank you so much for all of the laughter on a dreary day.
McBadgere
blink.gif ...*Sits at keyboard...*...

blink.gif ... *....* ... huh.gif ...

*Looks left...Then right...*... blink.gif ...

*Closes mouth*...

blink.gif ...
Acadian
Loved the scene with Maxical and Nisaba! I think I have a good idea of what to expect from Akatosh regarding Maxical, but I am becoming more and more intrigued by Nisaba. It seems she is destined to become a big deal in Maxical’s life perhaps. I was captivated by Nisaba’s confusion over ‘Sire’.

’The men were shimmying up the side of the mansion like the monkeys had done that day in the Arena.’
The monkeys on the mansion were neat for several reasons. First, it was just funny. Secondly, it was a wonderful reminder of past Maxical misadventures. Finally, given how the ‘farmed’ Khajiit would protect Jak, it provided the perfect segue for the kitties to make their exit so the bumbling vampires could attend to their buttly business in private and hopefully get taken out by the mansion monkeys. Okay, I'm kidding about the last part since the scenes happened in different chapters. wink.gif
King Coin
QUOTE(Acadian @ Jan 8 2012, 06:45 PM) *

I was captivated by Nisaba’s confusion over ‘Sire’.

I just want to add that I found that section interesting as well. It didn't make it into my other post somehow.
Grits
The part that treydog quoted about Nisaba’s dream gave me chills, too. I’m hoping those two get a quiet moment to fill in what Maxical can’t remember. I’m so delighted that it seems Nisaba will continue to be important to Maxical, and in the story. smile.gif

Then the whole Jak and Janus scene was just hilarious! I was rolling the entire time. The part where Janus tries to explain that they were not talking about rat breeding during their “romantic interlude,” but specifically about rat libido made me laugh about that scene with Maxical all over again. Oh, Janus! rollinglaugh.gif
mALX

@ Foxy - You can only blame yourself for that chapter, lol. You know in bringing up gas my warped sense of humor would carry it into the story, ROFL !! The Black Fox in the butt was your idea to begin with, so it was fitting that you inspired the chapter where it "came out," lol. Thank you so very much, Foxy. You are an Awesome inspiration !!

@ King Coin - I so appreciate your comment and have to give you credit for Nissy's expanded role in the story. What changed her cameo into an integral role was your enthusiasm for her. Thank you so much, KC !!

@ Athynae - Thank you so much Athynae !! I blame Foxy entirely for that scene with the Fox, he had me laughing so hard imagining him having laughing gas at 35,000 feet...what else could I do? ROFL !!

@ Treydog - It meant a lot to hear your opinion of those three chapters. Sometimes in writing the stories you are inspired as much by the readers as the subject itself. Imagining you spraying Ice Tea on your monitor is always a big inspiration to me, lol. (truth). Thank you so much Treydog, you are appreciated!

@ McBadgere - Thank you, Thank you McB !! It meant a lot to hear your translation of that cryptic comment, ROFL !! Thanks !!

@ Acadian - ROFL !! You had me rolling with the second half of your comment !! Thank you so much, Acadian, I always appreciate your kind words and support !!!

@ Grits -
The part that treydog quoted about Nisaba’s dream gave me chills

That section of the chapter was written directly because of (and inspired by) your comment on January 3 - that meant so much to me when you said that. Thank you so much Grits, your kind words mean more than you know !!!

mALX

*** D. Foxy has graciously agreed to the use of his characters Damien "Foxy" Reynard and Sneakers in this episode.

Chapter 123: The Fox Hunt

******* Damien “Foxy” Reynard

Damien waited till the men reached the dome and signaled their readiness before gesturing the mages to enter the front. Within seconds the locked door was breached. Without a sound to alert their presence the mages filed into the mansion, spreading out in different directions inside as if on cue.

Damien counted under his breath till one of the mages on the dome signaled him again.

“Malan can’t be there, that was too soon. Drat!” Uriel exhaled his frustration. “Have your men search everything, see if he’s left any clues behind.“

Damien glanced around as they entered. “There‘s parchment and pads everywhere.” He signaled Sneakers. “Secure every parchment and pad in this house. Keep them separated by the floor you found them on, and mark the sack for upstairs. Make sure you handle them with care.”

He turned to Uriel. “Imbel had a manservant here, a man named Gemellus Axius. If he’s here I’ll have to question him. You do realize what I’m saying?”

“Do you know if he is a vampire?“

Damien shrugged. “Does it matter?”

“I can’t approve any coercion if he is a citizen, Foxy.”

Sneakers’ cackling laugh could be heard the whole way down the steps as he returned with the sack full of parchments.

“Boss, look what I found in his private quarters upstairs!” He plopped the sack of parchments down on the table and then held up a small black statuette of a fox. “I stuck this in his drawers at the Palace when he was impersonating Fathis Aren.”

“You’ve just earned yourself a bonus, Sneakers.” Damien grinned.

Uriel glanced through the bulging sack Sneakers lay on the table. “The man has brought blank papers!”

“Blank to the naked eye. If they lay beneath another parchment as it was being written on, they may contain indentations which can be read using the right tools.” Damien pointed at two of his mages dragging a struggling man down the steps. “As to whether he is a vampire, we will soon find out.”

Damien’s agents shuffled up, pushing Gemellus Axius into a chair and holding him tightly down. “There’s no one here but this guy, Boss. We searched the whole place.”

Damien grabbed a handful of Gemellus’s hair, pulling his head back with it and carefully inspecting his eyes. His lips twitched as he glanced over to Uriel and found he had turned away and was carefully inspecting an empty display case.

“He doesn’t appear to be a vampire, of course if he is Malan‘s they can hide their nature.”

Uriel waved his hand to proceed, but retained his rapt inspection of the empty case.

Damien gave a quirked grin as he turned back to Gemellus.

“Where is your master, Gemellus Axius?”

“What do you mean by breaking in here, ransacking the Master’s home! He’ll have you arrested! I should call the guards!“

“Yes, but you won’t, will you Gemellus? Your Master wouldn’t like the Legion to find out his secrets…not with Uriel’s Law declared. I repeat, where is your master?”

“Sir! Tell your men to stop manhandling me! The Master will have you all thrown in jail! Tell me what you require and I‘ll pass the message…” Gemellus’s attempt to bluff ground to a halt as Damien’s blade poked into his neck.

Gemellus turned a pleading glance in Uriel’s direction, but he was now stooped over the empty case and appeared to be minutely inspecting a mote of thread through the glass.

Gemellus’s mouth clamped shut, but he cowered, trembling. Damien drew the blade up and held it in front of Gemellus’s face, the curved blade of the dagger still stained with dried blood.

“I think you know what kind of a blade this is, don’t you.” It wasn‘t a question, but Gemellus nodded briefly.

Damien leaned over and pushed the sharp blade against his neck again. “Then you know what my line of work is, and that I’ll have no qualms in slitting the throat of someone keeping me from completing my mission. Now I‘ll ask you one last time, where is your master?”

Gemellus’s voice wavered, the pitch of it raised to almost girlish tones. “I don’t know! Please, Sir! He didn’t say. He and the other gentleman packed for a long trip, I swear to you that’s all I know.”

Another agent stepped into the room from a doorway under the stairwell. “Boss, there’s a boarded up place in the basement. We couldn’t force it open.”

Damien paused. “I didn’t see any sewer access to this building on your map, Uriel. Check it again.”

Uriel spread the map out on the table, keeping his back to Gemellus. “You are correct, there is no sewer access.”

Damien slapped his hand loudly on the table, causing Gemellus to jump. “We may have just found that cave we were planning to search for.” He pressed the blade against Gemellus’s neck and leaned over him. “What’s behind the boards in the basement, Gemellus?”

“…Basement? I don’t go there, my duties don‘t…”

Damien stepped back from him and without saying a word pointed at two of the other agents that had gathered in the room. The two men holding Gemellus stood him up and the other two agents began searching him, emptying his pockets. One handed Damien three keys.

“NO!” Gemellus struggled against the agents holding him.

Uriel shifted his weight, catching Damien’s eye. “No killing.“ He mouthed. Damien gave a brief nod.

“Watch him. The rest of you come with me.” He turned to Uriel. “This may not be a sight you’ll want to see, Uriel. You‘re free to go if you‘d like, my men can handle this from here.”

Uriel shook his head. “If the cave is there, I want to see how those children lived.“

“Stand back, Sire. This is no ordinary lock, it may be trapped.” Damien went carefully over the whole area around the door looking for triggers. “Here’s one.” He followed the wire across the doorway and up a wall, then pointed to a spot on the ceiling. He and Uriel stepped back into the corridor while two mages carefully dismantled the heavy mace and removed it.

Damien returned to his inspection of the area when the men had finished. He waved Uriel back again. The opposite wall had regularly spaced holes in it. Damien ran a finger inside each hole, feeling the angle of it, then walked the path the darts would fly based on that angle. “These are holes for poison darts, Sire. Stand back till I find the trigger…it will have to be near the keyhole since that‘s where the holes are aimed…ah!”

He slid the false facing up on the lock plating and found a second keyhole. One key fit the upper keyhole and one fit the lower. Damien carefully removed the upper key, then moved back beside Uriel and signaled Sneakers to open the door.

The key turned easily in the ancient lock as if it had been kept well oiled or well used. An overwhelming stench of urine and feces met their noses.

The first three rooms of the cave had obvious signs of recent use. There were boxes in each of ragged children’s dresses, straw beds with human hairs still attached. Several cave walls had rudimentary pictures scratched into the clay. A stack of dirty plates was piled by the door next to an open crate with a few rotting apples in it.

Uriel kneeled down beside each box of clothing and fingered through them, lifting each to note the size. A look of horror worsened with each one he raised, but he continued till he’d seen all.

Uriel rose slowly, his eyes held Damien's. “I want him dead. I order it. Any bounty you ask will be paid, Foxy. The sheer number of children who’ve suffered here…the ages…I‘ve seen enough.”

An agent entered the small room of the cave, but hesitated when he saw Uriel’s expression. Damien signaled him to speak.

“Boss, there is a hidden trap door at the back of this tunnel.”

Damien put his hand on Uriel’s shoulder. “I’ll make record of anything I find. You don’t need to stay longer.”

Uriel gave a brief nod and turned to leave. “Bring me your report as soon as you are done here. I‘ll carry those sacks of parchments back with me.”

“Handle them with extreme care.” Damien called before following his agent down the tunnel.

Immediately after the first mages dropped through the trap door the sounds of battle erupted below. Damien signaled the rest of the men to the trap door and followed closely behind them.

Malan’s giants filled the tunnels below. Their enormous height had grown instantly for combat, forcing them to stoop and move in crab-like sprints to avoid the melon-sized fire balls being cast by Damien’s mages. In spite of their strength, their attacks were hindered in the close corridors.

It wasn’t a long battle, Damien’s mages had the advantage of easy movement and fire burning a long trail before them as they cleared each room. In the end, only the first man down the ladder was lost. Damien signaled two men to carry his body out before carefully inspecting the rest of the cave.

This section had not housed the children, instead each cell of the lower cave held several coffins. The mages cautiously inspected each, then torched them along with the vampire bodies.

At the very end of the long corridor was another boarded doorway. The third key Gemellus had been carrying opened the ancient latch with ease. Inside was a large ornate coffin.

Damien signaled caution before his mages opened it. To everyone’s surprise it was empty, other than a pair of boots and a journal.

“It can’t be…he wouldn‘t have this much security for a few minions.“ Damien scanned the journal. “Well now this is interesting, the real Jakben Imbel is actually Springheel Jack!” He handed the boots and journal to one of the mages. “Hold these.”

Damien pulled out his pad and a quill, scribbling a quick note as he called orders to his men. “Check that bier, the coffin, the walls…everything. There has to be a reason he had this much security down here.”

“There’s nothing, Boss.”

“There has to be, keep looking.” Damien tucked the pad into his pocket and reached down into the coffin himself, tearing the elaborate satin bedding out with several hard tugs. There was a false bottom on the coffin, the trap of it was obvious but not the mechanism to open it. He pointed at a trap door in the bottom of the coffin.

“That is what I’m talking about, now find the spring that opens it.”

“Maybe it’s on the other side.” Sneakers piped up.

“In which case you would do what?” Damien’s voice mocked.

“Yes, Boss.”

Using their swords as pries, they wedged the wooden panel till it splintered, pulling the pieces out to reveal a stairway into a small round room with a transporter. Damien’s eyes gleamed.

“Sneakers, you’re coming with me. The rest of you wait for me at the Palace. Tell Uriel I am on Malan’s trail, and make yourselves useful to him if he needs you. I‘m not sure how long I‘ll be.”

“Follow me closely and quietly.“ Damien whispered. He stepped onto one side of the portal, Sneakers mounted it beside him. In practiced sequence they cast life detect, then chameleon. Both drew their weapons simultaneously.

Damien rested his hand on the activation button. “Ready?” Sneakers nodded.

Before the portal released them into the next room, the smell of gas was permeating the air around them. “Don’t breathe, Sneakers.” Damien spoke without releasing any of his own breath.

“What’d you say, Boss? GAAAaaaaah urk.”

Damien’s lungs expanded painfully as he forced them to hold the air in. Was the transporter itself a trap? With relief he felt himself falling free of the transporter, but the relief was short-lived as the freefall continued. He counted rapidly in his mind, gauging the distance of his fall while struggling to tuck his head into his chest and shield it with his arms.

Malan and his minions could fly, that was a good indication he was on the right trail to find him…if he survived the fall.

The impact came suddenly, somehow unexpected in spite of knowing it had to occur. The force of it knocked the air from Damien’s lungs in a burst. He’d held his breath too long, it had long since ceased to be oxygen. Blackness fringed his eyesight and a high-pitched ringing sounded in his ears. Even knowing thick gases filled the room he had to breath.

Immediately as he inhaled the sound of hissing gas dulled in Damien’s ears, and his vision began blurring. There was a quick impression of cell bars in a long row...Sneakers laying in a crumpled bloody heap. Without looking he knew his own invisibility would be gone as well, and he wouldn’t be able to heal Sneakers or himself. Prison bars remove all spells and magic. The portal was a trap...a major one.

Damien fought the heaviness pulling his eyes shut, jerking his head roughly to the side as if the movement would jar his eyes into responding. Through closing slits he saw a naked Dunmer in the next cell peering through the fog of gas around him…Fathis Aren.

Malan had taken Fathis from the Arena…that meant this prison was in Malan’s lair. He’d found it…he’d finally found it.

The feel of air moving against his skin brought an instant alertness to Damien’s mind. His clothes were gone, just as Fathis‘s had been. Damien’s eyes opened a bare slit, carefully surveying his situation before moving.

He saw a familiar black velvet shoe at his eye level and opened his eyes a little wider. There, standing in front of the cell looking in at him was…himself. The black mask obscured the face, but it was his chin…his jaw and cheeks. Since Jagar Tharn’s death there was only one capable of that magnitude of illusion…Malan.

A shiver of ice went down Damien‘s back as the imposter…in Damien’s own voice and intonations… leaned toward him grinning.

“Sir Damien Reynard! To use your own words, we meet again…Foxy.”

Athynae
HOLY MUSCATOLLY!!!!

And what do you mean "sorry"? Whether anyone else does or not I appreciate that you did double post! What a way to satisfy a middle of the night hunger pain.

That was awesome mALX! Dramatically intense without going to far.

"Foxy don't go through that portal! It's a trap! Oops too late." Just like one of those girls in a horror flick they never listen either.

I don't know that I could or would want to take on the endeavor of writing Foxy into a story. It would be too hard to keep the character so serious knowing the truth behind the mask....laughing gas at 35,000 feet yes, and the list goes on and on and on. Tell another tale while swishing your tail Foxy...

Great stuff my dear, simply maaavelous! If I'm the one voting you may double...or triple post if you want.
King Coin
Uriel isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty. I’m happy he took it upon himself to view the living area for the virgin farm.

Now we know how Malan and Janus got out of the city.

Whoa, that’s a twist! Poor Sneakers! He found the lair all right, as a prisoner. Damn, now Malan will have so many opportunities wearing Foxy’s face.

Maybe Janus' vow to Maxical will help Fathis and Foxy escape...
Acadian
This was tense and quick paced! Wow. Wonderful imagery and gimmicks in Jak’s house and the trapped portal – and below. Oh noes! Two Foxy’s!

I loved how Uriel kept himself above the unpleasantness of interrogation by so carefully inspecting an empty piece of furniture – that was so well done and easy to envision!

Grits
Oh, this is such a cool episode! Uriel looking through the little dresses and the drawings on the wall were so sad.

These parts made me go ohmy.gif :

Malan and his minions could fly, that was a good indication he was on the right trail to find him…if he survived the fall.

And

Malan had taken Fathis from the Arena…that meant this prison was in Malan’s lair. He’d found it…he’d finally found it.

These thoughts going through his mind while he’s falling through open space and passing out next to a naked imprisoned Fathis?! Damien is pure awesome.

Malan wearing Foxy’s voice and appearance is frightening indeed. I am holding my breath now!!

Oh, and Sneakers!! Oh no! Double ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
McBadgere
Wow...Flipping gosh darned WOW...Absolutely brilliant stuff...Blinking marvellous...

Fairly dues, Sir Damien is pretty cool is he not?...He should have been a Knight... tongue.gif ...

Absolutely amazing chapter and I applaud it heartily...

*Applauds heartily*...

See... biggrin.gif ...

Nice one...

*Wonders how Sir Damien and bloodied Sneakers will get out of this one...*... biggrin.gif ...
mALX

@ Athynae - Thank you so much, Athynae !!! And you are right about that. The hardest part is trying to think like someone who has spent their lifetime in the field of intelligence, ROFL !!! Kind of hard to come up with intelligent stuff when my brain is more along the lines of Maxical's, lol. Thanks again, Athynae!

@ King Coin - I'm glad you caught that Uriel wanted to personally inspect and get an idea of what the women's lives had been like. He was dismissive with Maxical when she told him about it, but I doubt he'll be able to push it out of his mind after seeing that cave firsthand. Before Uriel meets his end, there is going to be a few things revealed to him that occurred under his rule, so hopefully he can make changes and not be remembered for the lack. Thank you so much, KC !!!

@ Acadian - Thank you, Thank you !! That means a lot to hear, as you know spy stuff, intelligent stuff, and battle - not my forte, lol. That may have been the hardest chapter I've ever tried to write, so it means a lot that you liked it !!! Thanks again, Acadian !!

@ Grits - Thank you so much Grits! I am so sorry to hear about your back! You are always so bubbly, I could feel the difference. Bless your heart, I hope knowing what the problem is will help your doctors do something to ease it. <3 Hug_emoticon.gif

@ McBadgere - Thank you so much McB !! That chapter was a strain on my brain, so your kind words mean a LOT to hear !!!
mALX
@ EVERYONE - This will come out in a few chapters, but I thought I'd let everyone know now that there was a specific purpose in Damien calling the Emperor "Uriel" (instead of "Sire") in front of Gemellus - and in revealing himself as an assassin to Gemellus.

Uriel told Damien that he could not be a party to coercion if Gemellus was a citizen. Since they couldn't be sure if he was or wasn't, they didn't want to take a chance (especially not knowing whether he had any involvement or not)

Someone of Gemellus's status (a servant) would never have seen the Emperor up close, or armored and bloody. The resemblance to the Septim line and the name Uriel could very easily be assumed to be one of the Emperor's bastards, which are known to litter the country.

If Damien had called him "Sire" in front of Gemellus, there would be no doubt it was the Emperor watching him get coerced.

By calling him "Uriel," and admitting himself as an assassin, Damien ensured that Gemellus would never suspect it was the Emperor, who would never have allowed a thug/assassin to call him by his first name.

** Also, it has been alluded to in the story, but not really explained well enough (I believe)

Damien Reynard (Foxy) is a retired Assassin and spy. He can get info on almost anyone, has a network of spies/agents all across Tamriel.

Uriel has used Damien's services since just after the Imperial Simulacrum for protection, to spy on those closest to him, he wanted to know who his enemies were after the Jagar Tharn incident.

(That is how Uriel found out that Ocato is a traitor).

** There is a mention of King Coin’s Awesome character Aravi in this chapter.

Chapter 124: Cats In The Palace

“Why are you staring at me like that, Nissy? Do I have something on my face?” She had been staring hard at me since we’d left the Talos Plaza.

Nisaba’s expression suddenly changed to one of studied nonchalance and her tone when she answered was flippant. “You used to call me Nissy, you probably don’t remember that.”

It was like she had raised a shield to protect herself from the hurt she knew my answer would bring. Should I lie? No. She’d see right through it. I just shook my head, not wanting to say the words. But I made a silent vow to call her Nissy from now on, maybe that would help me remember her.

“No big deal.” She shrugged her shoulder as if shaking off the whole conversation.

After a minute walking she stopped, turning to face me as she untied what looked like a filthy rag from her waist. “Oh, hey. Here, this is yours.“ Nisaba handed it to me.

“Er…what’s this…” Then with a sinking feeling I recognized it. The pillowcase I had taken from Falanu‘s shop. “Oh, I don’t need that…urk.” The pillowcase moved. “You brought the mouse?”

“Yeah, he had some kind of fit after you left him there. I brought him in case we ran into you.”

“Oh no! He can’t come to the Palace! I‘ll let him out here in the greenway.”

Nisaba stopped me from untying the sack. “You can’t, not out here. Vampires will drink his blood.”

“What? Dear gods, why would they want a mouse? Oh, you mean the feral vampires, right?”

Nisaba shrugged. “I only know vampires, no names.”

Janus said emphatically that he wouldn’t eat rat meat. Probably ancient vampires didn‘t drink mouse blood, she must be talking about feral vampires…but the explosion in the sewers had driven the feral vampires up into the city. I couldn’t leave the little mouse to die.

“He’ll have to stay really well hidden if we bring him.”

A nervous twitching started in my stomach. There was no doubt in my mind Uriel had misunderstood me when I said ‘sisters’. He expected Nissy and one other. It was going to be hard to slip six more Khajiit in as it was. Now a mouse too? Dear gods…but what else could I do? Leaving the sisters unprotected out here was not an option. I turned back to face them, trying to think how to say it without causing offense.

“Listen, there is something important I have to explain. I’m not sure the Emperor realized how many sisters Nissy had when he invited you. It may be best, just till I can explain it to him…to er…kind of stay out of sight as much as possible. If you have to be seen, make sure there are no more than two of you seen together at one time.”

They nodded in instant understanding. I got the feeling they were used to not being welcome.

Ocato’s horse was standing outside the Palace entrance, his head dropped low to the ground and blowing hard. His sides were heaving and foamy with sweat.

“That swine! Ocato should have given his horse to a courier to walk, it shouldn’t be standing still when it’s that hot!“ I fumed. Then suddenly another thought struck me and I gasped. “Will vampires kill horses for their blood too?”

“If they can catch them. That one is too tired to run.” The eldest sister spoke, and the others nodded agreement.

“We can’t leave it out here alone then, and it has to be walked.” I looked around for a Legion to hail.

“Coo, that’s sure the longest tail I’ve ever seen. We’d get rich selling it for wigs.” The eldest sister pointed at the black stallion’s extremely thick and long tail draping the ground.

“We better not do anything to get into trouble right away.” I countered quickly.

It suddenly occurred to me that all these women made a living as bandits. The twitching in my stomach became a knot. My stomach had never been upset before when I was doing something wrong, but right now it felt like acid burning a hole in me.

Even though Uriel was the one that actually invited them, and I specifically remember telling him they may steal…somehow I knew the blame for anything that happened would reflect on me.

It was much more than just not wanting Uriel mad at me. Vowing my sword to his service today…I stood among his peers…his friends. True, he didn’t treat me with the same camaraderie, but…it still made me feel something inside to be there in the circle of his trusted.

There were some times growing up that I wanted to behave, people I wanted to be good for…Hannibal was one. I tried hard, but never succeeded. This time had to be different, it had to be. I was determined not to do anything wrong.

The women were carrying on as if I hadn’t even spoken.

“Tie some on that mouse’s head and tell them it’s yer baby. Rich white don‘t look Khajiit in the face, everyone knows that.“ She was pulling a rusty dagger from her waistband. “I cuts from the underside so’s none can tell.”

“That’s truth, may as well be a beggar as a beast.” Another sister agreed.

“Please, don’t. I’ll just keep the mouse in this sack. I…can’t have the Emperor mad at me.” I looked pleadingly at Nisaba, they seemed to listen to her. She looked back at me, perplexed.

“Maxical, we need Septims bad. We’re almost out of the juices.”

“I know, I’m almost out too. But I’ve found a way we can get them free.” I patted my pocket. Eight skeptical eyes stared at me.

“It’s true, I’ll show you when we get inside.”

Nisaba shrugged. “Come on then, let‘s go see.” She circled her arm behind her as if waving the others to follow. I hurried ahead of them into the Palace.

“I’ll go slow, just follow in pairs so no one sees more than two cats at one time.” I turned around and I was alone. “Where is everyone?”

A guard patrol was marching up the circular hallway. I flagged him down quickly. “Sir, Ocato needs someone to cool his horse, it’s just outside the entrance.”

The guard snorted sarcastically. “What do you want me to do about it?”

“Er…well, the couriers won’t take orders from Khajiit, but they’d have to from someone of your rank.” I pointed at the blue sash looped around his waist.

“I’ll see it gets done.” He pounded his arm across his chest and turned back the way he had come.

As soon as he rounded the corner the Khajiit seemed to merge from the walls themselves.

“Wow, you really know how to hide!” I marveled…then breathed relief. This may not be as hard as I’d thought if they could hide that well.

We made it two more levels before running across anyone else, this time it was Ocato. I glanced back nervously, but needn’t have. The women had disappeared already.

“YOU!” He shrilled, pointing a finger at me. “You’re not supposed to be above the first floor!”

“The Emperor told me to speak to Evangeline Beanique, I’ve been ordered to wait for him in his quarters.”

Ocato looked like he may spit. It struck me suddenly that he actually didn’t recognize me. The sisters were right, he was not looking me in the face. I was just a Khajiit, that was all he had to see.

“GUARDS!” His falsetto shriek deafeningly echoed off the curved stone walls of the corridor. A marching patrol thundered down from the upper end of the ramp. “Escort this…person to Evangeline.” Ocato stomped away, exiting down to the level we had just left.

When the door had closed behind him I turned back to the guards, wondering the best way to rid myself of them so the sisters wouldn’t be stuck in the corridor hiding. I didn’t have to think long, a high-pitched scream outside drew them to the window.

“Look, the little missy is having a fit.” One guard elbowed the other and chuckled. I moved to the window and peered out, then gasped.

“Dear gods, is he…hurt?” Ocato was the ’missy’ they were talking about. He was hopping…literally. Jumping up and down, flagging what looked to be a lacy handkerchief and screaming repeatedly…just screaming over and over again.

“What happened? What is he shrieking about?” I stood on my tip toes and pressed my face against the glass, but couldn’t see anyone near him.

One guard elbowed the other and snorted. “Bet he stepped in horse dung again.“

“You’re on.“

“Would he have a fit like that over just soiling his shoe…wait, he‘s pointing at something…” I turned my head sideways against the glass, trying to see what he was pointing at…and then nearly fainted. It was his horse…it’s long braided mane was now cut short like a plow horse. The tail that had dragged the ground just minutes ago was now bobbed like the draft horses that pulled large wagons. Oh dear gods.

“I’m not going to be handy when he comes back in that mood.” The younger guard pulled back from the window. “It’s time for my break.”

“I’ll bet the vampires did it.” I tried to sound convincing, but was sure I looked as guilty as if I had personally balded the horse. “Er…if you just tell me where to find Evangeline, I have the Emperor’s permission to be here.” I added quickly.

He pointed up the ramp. “Two floors up, mid way up on the left.“ The two scurried like rats through a central door.

“Ssst…come on.” I hissed, and turned to run in the direction they had pointed. I didn’t want to be there when Ocato came back either. I was shocked to find Nisaba and the sisters already waiting at the end of the ramp.

“We slipped past while they were looking out the window.” Nisaba explained.

“All of you? I didn’t see or hear anything!” I gaped, stunned.

“We’re cats.” Nisaba grinned.

Maybe it was the feral way they had to live just to survive growing up, living like animals in caves. Maybe that had honed their innate leopard nature. But what about that Khajiit that was fighting outside the Palace; Aravi? Every move was pure cat…survival and wits. There was nothing feral about her, not with that sweet soft accent and cultured speech.

These women were all barefoot, just like Aravi was…so were Sir Damien’s men. It must silence the feet some, but couldn’t be the only reason. I still stomp like a Clydesdale horse whether I’m shod or not. Was it something about the way they moved?

I suddenly realized there was a whole lot about being Khajiit I had never learned…like those sounds Nisaba made. Something in me recognized them…the leopard in me knew them.

They could barely be heard standing right next to her, but the sound traveled all that distance in the cave, brought the others to her aide. Like some kind of communication that reached back through time and evolution.

“Will you teach me, Nissy?”

McBadgere
Also, it has been alluded to in the story, but not really explained well enough (I believe)

*Pouts and looks at feet*...'M sooory...*Flutters eyelashes*...Robert est tres desole...

Look, I'm an idjot okay!!... biggrin.gif ...Takes me a bit to catch up!... biggrin.gif ...

Aaamywho...Excellent chapter...The Khajiit were very cool...I liked the way the newcomers all seemed to act all sneaky and efficient hiding from the guards...And I also liked how much Maxical seemed out of sorts, then finally realising how much she needed to learn...

Oh, the thing about the horse needing to be walked when it was hot after a run...I did not know that huh.gif ...Tha's just cool that is... biggrin.gif ...

Cheers!... biggrin.gif ...

*Applauds*...

Athynae
Um McB didn't you say you worked on a farm??? Oh, right, sorry technology and those damnable tractors that are bent on breaking hands, right...

Poor horse, lost its lovely tail, "Hey is that a tail in your pocket?" No, wait it's a scroll, or a pickle or...man it's early, and I'm only a half a pot o coffee down.

mALX it is wonderful! Max is seeing things a bit differently I think, our little kitty is growing up. It is a bit heartbreaking to watch her struggle over her lost memories of Nisaba, I do hope she remembers soon.

The little "Missy" ROFL!!!

Can't wait for more, good stuff.
King Coin
I’m surprised Nissy brought that silly mouse with.

I got the feeling they were used to not being welcome.
No surprise there. It’s too bad, but hopefully it’ll make Maxical’s job easier.

It suddenly occurred to me that all these women made a living as bandits. The twitching in my stomach became a knot.
AHHH! laugh.gif Maxical’s usual role is reversed!

Everyone splits when Ocato starts screaming. laugh.gif

The last section was completely awesome! Maxical’s goingto learn to be a Khajiit! biggrin.gif
McBadgere
QUOTE(Athynae @ Jan 14 2012, 12:06 PM) *

Um McB didn't you say you worked on a farm??? Oh, right, sorry technology and those damnable tractors that are bent on breaking hands, right...

Indeed, and it's all dairy cows...And a dog...And some pigeons...But they don't count... biggrin.gif ...I know next to nowt about Horsies...*Shrugs*...
Acadian
This was wonderful, as it ranged from poignant to slapstick. What a delightful range of writing you have!

’If you have to be seen, make sure there are no more than two of you seen together at one time.”
They nodded in instant understanding. I got the feeling they were used to not being welcome.’

This was so well put. And so sad. sad.gif

Alix the Mouse! Thank you for saving him, Nissy! biggrin.gif

The ‘Missy’ nickname for Ocato was priceless! laugh.gif

I love how you have the Khajiit acting so. . . well, catlike and look forward to what they can teach our own kit, Maxical.
Grits
Oh, thank you for pointing out why Damien said “Uriel.” It was right there in the story, but I completely missed the significance!

“Er…what’s this…” Then with a sinking feeling I recognized it. The pillowcase I had taken from Falanu‘s shop. “Oh, I don’t need that…urk.” The pillowcase moved. “You brought the mouse?”

Oh my goodness, the mouse! How sweet that Nissy brought him along and spoke up for his safety. Poor Maxical, faced with filth, guilty feelings, six more cats to conceal, and now the mouse!!

Nisaba shrugged. “Come on then, let‘s go see.” She circled her arm behind her as if waving the others to follow. I hurried ahead of them into the Palace.

Uh oh, was that Nissy’s signal to do it behind Maxical’s back? I love how complicated and uneasy their relationship is, but they still have such a bond!

The guards betting over what had set Ocato off this time said so much. Yikes, what a character!

I suddenly realized there was a whole lot about being Khajiit I had never learned…like those sounds Nisaba made. Something in me recognized them…the leopard in me knew them.

I love that both the horse scalping ex-bandits and the softly spoken Aravi have that awesome Khajiit stealth and grace. I wonder if Maxical’s Imperial blood is to blame for her occasional whistling.gif accidents. It’s great that she’s going to get some leopard lessons from Nisaba!
mALX

@ McBadgere - GAAAAH !! Don’t say that, lol. I really hadn’t explained it well due to him having been a prominent character in the first version of the story. It was really needed to be explained better in the story, lol. I’ll work the info into the story soon, that was my mistake.

The horses needing walking when they are hot - that actually is a fact. These days they use machines that do it, especially for race horses. The machines are called “Hot Walkers” - back then they would have handed the horse off to a servant, child, beggar, etc - given them a Septim for cooling their horse.

Thank you so much McB !!!

@ Athynae - Thank you so much, Athynae !! Maxical is finally starting to grow up, a lot of that has to do with the removal of everyone that was smoothing her path for her - like Fathis. She never had to grow up as long as people kept fixing things for her. Now she really has to face her responsibilities and errors, it may make her think twice before making them, lol. I am so glad you caught that! Thanks again, Athynae!

@ King Coin - Nisaba and Maxical are nearly total opposites, in spite of the parallels. Where Maxical’s actions are thoughtless and irresponsible, Nisaba’s are towards leadership and responsibility. She leaves no one behind. Maxical needs to learn more than just Khajiit abilities from her.

You are right about the other too, I think these cats are going to give her a taste of what others have had to put up with from her all these years, lol.

Thank you so much, KC !!!

@ Acadian - Thank you so much, Acadian !!! That line you quoted was one of two focal points in the chapter, the other was Maxical’s newly found determination and stress over not messing up around the Emperor, lol. Thanks again Acadian, you are an Awesome friend and support!

@ Grits - I really should have explained that at the bottom of that last chapter, probably need to go ahead and edit it over there. It was an important thing I was trying to get across that Damien reacted instantly to Uriel’s concerns, although it may not have seemed so initially on the surface.

Uriel turning his back would not obscure the resemblance enough to hide the clear Septim features, so until they knew Gemellus’s nature/guilt - Damien covered in a way that would cause most in Cyrodiil to assume it was just another of his many illegitimate offspring.

Yes, Nisaba was signaling the women to do that behind Maxical’s back, lol.

The relationship between Nisaba and Maxical may be fated, but Nisaba can’t/won’t trust Maxical’s motives (due to her broken vow). Maxical will have to earn any trust she gets now.

Thank you so much, Grits !!! You are always so appreciated!!! I really hope you get feeling better, back pain is the worst because you can't reach it yourself in any way to relieve it. Bless your heart <3

mALX

Chapter 125: Evangeline And The Cats

When I first saw Evangeline Beanique, I was very nervous about asking her for anything. Her face was lined with scowl wrinkles way beyond her years, and her mouth was turned down in a sour expression. She was in the middle of aggressively berating a courier when I first approached her door.

Nisaba and the sisters hung back, melting into the alcoves of the hallway and hiding behind the planters. They could disappear better than anyone I’ve ever known before. That at least gave me some hope that they would remain undiscovered, at least till I could speak with the Emperor. I wanted the Emperor to hear it from me before anyone else carried the tale to his ears, especially Ocato.

“…Er…I was told to find Miss Evangeline Beanique…er…”

One glance at me and she sent the courier off with a string of curses at his back, then waited till he was well past the door before talking again. When she turned to look back at me she had a warm smile on her face.

“There is only one white Khajiit in Cyrodiil, you must be Maxical. Alix Lencolia‘s daughter, right? Come here, child; let me look at you.”

“Do you know my father, Ma’am?”

“I knew his father a long time ago. Oh, just look at that red hair! Does your temper match it?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Now don’t you call me ’Ma’am like that, you’ll make me feel old. Now then, what can I do for you?”

“The Emperor invited me…and some friends…to stay in his family quarters. We’re a bit dirty from the war, and we have nothing to wear. The Emperor said to ask…if you wouldn’t mind, I mean…if you could find us some clothing to wear, anything you have no use of would be fine.”

She nodded. “I’ll see what I have, do you know their sizes?”

“Er…about your size, I guess. Oh, and he said if you weren‘t busy could you direct us where we should bathe?”

“There is a bath on this floor, but…High Chancellor Ocato may be upset to see…although he has his own private bath…are your friends also…er…” Evangeline stammered, but I got her drift clearly. Ocato would have a fit seeing Khajiit on his floor bathing even if he never used the pool.

“Yes Ma‘am…er…Miss Beanique. They are all Khajiit. I was hoping we could…er…stay out of High Chancellor Ocato‘s sight as much as possible. He seemed to be irate already when we passed him a few minutes ago.”

“Why don’t you call me Evangeline. Now then, when will these friends you mentioned arrive?”

“They’re here…uh…out in the corridor, Miss…er…Evangeline.”

She stared at me expectantly.

“Oh.” I turned back to the door and called in a low voice, “Nissy, you and your sister can come in now.”

Nisaba came in first, a defensive look on her face. I gasped when I saw her ‘sister’.

She waddled in looking like a woman in extremely late pregnancy, both hands cradling her belly area…dear gods! Her belly was jutting out to such a degree that it appeared she may drop a whole litter of baby Orc any minute! There was no doubt where Ocato’s horse’s mane and tail were. Evangeline’s eyes were bulging. I felt faint.

“Are we there yet?” The sister hefted the huge protrusion as if adjusting it, then rubbed one hand on it and groaned.

A black braided lock of the horse’s mane dropped from beneath her skirt. Nisaba dove down and snatched it up quickly, tucking it into her pocket.

“She’s shedding…” She explained briefly.

“Oh my...” Evangeline’s face changed from gaping and horrified to astute the second her eyes fell on my shocked face.

“Out with it, Maxical. What is it you are not telling me.” It wasn’t a question. Her eyes bored into mine till I was sure she gleaned every ill deed I’d ever committed in my lifetime. I took a deep breath. I‘d have to tell the Emperor anyway, may as well start now.

“The Emperor specifically ord…er…requested Nisaba move into the Palace with me, but she couldn’t leave her sisters to fend for themselves against the danger out there. When I told him that, I said ‘sisters, Sire’ … but he thought I said ‘sister’. There are more of us than he is expecting. I planned to tell him…but in the meantime I had no choice but to bring them.”

“Are you telling me she has them all hidden up under her skirt right now?” She pointed at the sister's mammoth protrusion just as another braided lock fell from under the skirt.

“Er…no. You see…er…uh…Nissy, will you have the others come in please?”

Evangeline held her hand up. “Wait. First I want to know about that.” She pointed at the sister’s enormous stomach, which was now sliding rapidly down her thighs while she struggled to catch it. A huge pile of black hair dropped to the floor beneath her.

“Uh oh, the baby come too soon…” She hovered over it, using her body to block Evangeline’s view as she frantically scooped it back into her skirt.

“I’m so sorry, it is all my fault. There was a horse out front…er…it was hot and left standing. Please understand, Evangeline. High Chancellor Ocato, he has an aversion to us…Khajiit. I beg you, please…if there are any repercussions, they be brought against me only.”

“Oh my. I see. I’ll make sure the Emperor knows you explained the misunderstanding immediately on meeting me. As for the other; it would be for the best that no one else learns of this.” She turned to address Nisaba next. “You may bring your other sisters in now.”

Evangeline Beanique could not have been kinder to Nisaba and the sisters. She would be a good friend to have in the Palace.

She brought us to the bathing pool and was gathering the ragged clothes from the sisters, giving each a small stack of robes and dresses. I breathed a sigh of relief that it had ended as well as it did.

The water in the bathing pool was crystal clear…and heated! How did they do that? I’d never seen the like before and couldn’t wait to soak the day’s stress away in it and scrub myself clean. I plopped onto a bench and bent down to pull my boots off…and froze as an angry squeak sounded. Oh dear gods, I forgot to tell her about the mouse!

******* Evangeline Beanique

Evangeline pulled the door to the bathing pool shut behind her and waited till she heard the bolt sliding across, locking themselves in as she had instructed. Her breath released slowly, as if somehow the sound of it in the silent corridor would solve…everything.

While the extra Khajiit could be explained to the Emperor, there was no doubt their propensity toward lawlessness would create havoc. But a rodent in the Lords Manor? That would not be explained away, even as a pet.

She would have insisted on its removal…but then Maxical said the mouse’s name was Alix. Ironic. The child couldn’t possibly have known how significant that name would be to her…no, she couldn‘t have guessed that.

Fate had an odd way of recycling your past, shoveling it into your face…mocking the way it can still wrench you apart inside.

How stunned she had been to see the white Khajiit standing in her doorway, then after the initial shock…held her breath in case Alix would follow. He did, of course…but unfortunately in rodent form. As silly as it sounded, Evangeline was determined to dote on that mouse.

A dark braid lay in the middle of the corridor as she made her way down the ramp and she scooped it up quickly and scanned for any more traces of the women’s crime. Another lay almost in the doorway of Ocato’s own bedroom. Very lucky he had not seen it…or maybe he should…

As quickly as the thought hit, Evangeline acted, her hands working rapidly on the braids. Evangeline tied the braids together into a makeshift noose shape. She darted into Ocato’s bedroom and slid back the silken sheets, spreading the noose out on the pillow and then carefully laying the covers back so they didn’t look disturbed. Ha! Let him wonder who that message came from. Traitor. Worse. Traitor at least gave him cause, the excuse of being hungry for power. What he’d done to her…that had no cause, no excuse.

Her self satisfaction at the act didn’t last long, not nearly long enough to stop the pain of memories from rolling back in and suffocating her breathing. Alix.

******* Emperor Uriel Septim VII

Uriel paused in front of Gemellus Axius, his face still etched with the disgust and anger of what he had witnessed in the caves below. The keys had been taken from Gemellus’s person, he could not deny knowledge of what the children suffered. Uriel signaled the agents holding Gemellus.

“Bring him to the prison below the Palace, he is facing public execution for his crimes against those children. The rest of you are to come with me. We must plan quickly before the sun sets.“

Gemellus’s mouth dropped in twisted rage. He alternately berated both Uriel and the agents as they pulled him from the chair. “You can’t frighten me, baseborn. You have no more power than any of your many half-siblings! Who does he think he is! I’m a citizen of good birth, I insist you unhand me; blackguards!”

Uriel spoke at his struggling back as they pulled him from the chair. “Assassination is too honorable a death, and one you will not see. Your name will be publicly connected to the crimes against those children before the executioner takes your head.”

Gemellus‘s bravado crumpled. “I’ve plenty of Septims, I’ll pay…let me go, I say! You’ve got it wrong, I’ve never been allowed in there! Master warned me never to enter it on pain of death!" Gemellus whined, his legs going limp so the men had to drag him.

Uriel raised his hand and the agents hauling Gemellus paused at the doorway. “Even should I believe that, it would not change your fate. Whether you participated in the abductions or simply kept silent to protect your master, you share his guilt in what the children suffered. You will add cowardice to your charges if they must drag you.“ Uriel waved for the agents to take Gemellus out, then turned to the remaining agents.

“Who is the senior ranking among you?“ Uriel signaled him come forward.

“Choose three trained for trapping Malan who will remain with you in this house, choose wisely. One must cover the dome, one the cave in the basement, and one at the front door. He must not escape this time. I’d prefer he be detained rather than killed, but better he be dead than free. Use your own discretion.”

The agent singled out three agents and signaled them to approach. “These are my best men, Sire. We ran the trap at the Arena.“

Uriel paused, perplexed. “How did he avoid the magic restricting shackles there?”

“We volleyed fireballs as the shackles were cast, Sire…but he jumped straight into fire to avoid them.”

“Was he immune to the fire damage?”

“No, Sire. Just seemed his freedom came above any pain he may suffer.”

Uriel tapped his foot slightly, then nodded. “He was the same when trapped at the Palace, he jumped through glass. I want a briefing on your plan.“

“The caves are our best chance for trapping, he can’t fly in there and when he grows to giant form for combat the low ceiling restricts movement. We believe the cave may connect to his lair. If so he’ll probably return by it. If he comes in the dome, we’ll have to kill him; and quickly before he escapes.”

Uriel nodded. “Keep your minds blanked of thought, no matter how long the wait. Use chameleon and life detect. Detain anyone who enters this house regardless of who they appear to be. Send for me immediately once you have them secured, I want to know about everyone who enters and which entrance they came through.”

“Yes, Sire.”

Uriel signaled the remaining agents in the room. “Come with me, we haven’t much time before dusk.”

McBadgere
Fate had an odd way of recycling your past, shoveling it into your face…mocking the way it can still wrench you apart inside.

*Raises eyebrow*...Yeah...Funny that...

Absolute brilliance as ever...

It seemed to get better the further through it went though...Like, there's Maxical and the sisters, and that was brilliant. Then there was the bit with Evangeline, and that got the hairs on the back of my neck standing up...Espescially with that quote above...And then Uriel...Oh yes...I do love the way you write Uriel...So brilliant...Soooooo brilliant...

*Applauds heartily*...

Athynae
Evangeline? Hhmm, happy to see Max, maybe? HHmm, “I knew his father a long time ago." and another HHMM.
and then this:
She would have insisted on its removal…but then Maxical said the mouse’s name was Alix. Ironic. The child couldn’t possibly have known how significant that name would be to her…no, she couldn‘t have guessed that.

I am glad that, thus far anyway, Evangeline is treating Max, Nisaba and the sisters well, it'a about time Nisaba and her sisters have something to be happy about. Hopefully they will appreciate it enough they won't cause too much trouble.

Sweet little Alix... wink.gif

The scenes with Uriel are wonderful, all the more reason to like him, he takes control but he is wise and methodical about it, he KNOWS what he is doing. Great stuff!!!

A black braided lock of the horse’s mane dropped from beneath her skirt. Nisaba dove down and snatched it up quickly, tucking it into her pocket.

“She’s shedding…” She explained briefly.

ROFL!!!

You will add cowardice to your charges if they must drag you.“

This made me like Uriel even more!!

I love it all mALX, keep it coming!

King Coin
When she turned to look back at me she had a warm smile on her face.

“There is only one white Khajiit in Cyrodiil, you must be Maxical. Alix Lencolia‘s daughter, right? Come here, child; let me look at you.”

Wait, she’s not running screaming for the hills? laugh.gif Especially after the second sister arrived!

“Out with it, Maxical. What is it you are not telling me.”
Oh, she knows all about Maxical.

Who is she and how did she know Alix? Very interesting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.