Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A New Sun Rises - Maxical's Adventures
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
haute ecole rider
Loved the cartoons! Of course, the monkeys came out smarter than our Maxical! Actually, cats and monkeys have quite a bit in common. I used to call my Siamese cross a little spider monkey because she was all legs and big eyes, especially when climbing the carpet-covered support pillar in our basement apartment. They do share the same sense of mischief!

The entire scene in the Arena was even better than the previous one!
Destri Melarg
Chapter 63: Negotiating Chaos

I hope that I can be forgiven for thinking that maybe Jack and Owyn have had enough of our favorite albino Khajiit if they are so quick to thrust her into the Arena with someone who ‘obviously’ outranks her. It is my experience that a fighter returning to the ring after a long absence is not usually pitted against superior competition. Could there be something else afoot?

A nit:
At the end of this chapter Maxical says that Andronicus ‘waved me out’ of the room. You then detail a brief exchange between Andronicus and Jack. You should probably put something in there about Maxical being able to hear their conversation after she left the room.

Chapter 64: Monkey Business

“What kind of beast is that? It brings me joy to see him dance!”

“That’s a monkey, lady. Ain’t you ever seen a monkey before?”

Or is he a Tang ‘Mo from Akavir’s Thousand Monkey Isles. One of the race of gentle, peaceful and intelligent folk cast into cruel slavery for the amusement of the crowds in Cyrodiil?

Chapter 65: The Great Ape Rebellion

How can we fight with beasts in here?

For some reason this reminds me of the classic line from Dr. Strangelove: There's no fighting in the War Room!
With monkeys on his back I couldn’t stab him, it might hit one of the beasts.

Not ‘they put me in here with a weaponless prisoner whose crime might not have been more than spitting on the sidewalk, and they expect me to execute him.’ There is a definite dark side to Maxical’s humor that is manifested here. She seems to take great pride in disemboweling people who are in no position to fight back.
mALX
@ Treydog - Thank you so much Treydog!!! The monkeys in the story the last couple chapters actually were a last minute inspiration, but I loved the addition - if I could draw, I would have done the cartoons instead of just describing them, lol. You ROCK!

@ Naughty Haute - Thank you so very much Haute!!! Those cartoons were about my favorite part of that chapter, I'm so glad someone other than me liked them, lol.

We bought carpet and covered all the corners of walls in our house (like you did with the pillar) - just to keep the cat from clawing the wood. It looks like hell, but the cat loves it! You are exactly right, that cat comes running and leaps at the carpet, climbing up to the top (making a 'merroow' sound)

@ Destri - Thank you so much Destri !! And thanks for the nit, I fixed it.

Er, they didn't force the fight on her, but offered her an opportunity to jump one rank without fighting her way up. She could have turned it down.

She chose to do it because the Cage Match coming up pays a percentage of the Box Office Receipts and that percentage is based on the rank of the fighter - she wanted to gain rank for the bigger take.

The above was just part of my storyline. The other thing you mentioned is actually all strictly the game itself - Bethesda wrote the Argonian prisoner fight - I just added monkeys to it.

Here is how Bethesda set up that quest:

The three Argonian prisoners in that fight (according to Bethesda) are ranked above the player, have respectable hand-to-hand skills, and their AI is set to box in the player and gang up on them. Bethesda warns the player to stay away from the walls; and advises to hit and run, taking down one prisoner at a time to keep them from doing that to you.

The prisoners are not forced to participate, they are offered freedom if they win at the Arena. They choose to participate - it is not part of their sentence.

She seems to take great pride in disemboweling people who are in no position to fight back.

I tried to find a place where she took great pride in killing any of the prisoners, I'm missing it somehow - I didn't write it to come across that way. If it did appear that way to the reader, I need to re-write that segment.

Being in no position to fight back -

These are three men skilled in hand-to-hand combat. They work as a team like a wolf pack would, ganging up on the one player to take them down. In game my character was staggered several times by their hits, every one of those hits came from (the two men behind her) while she fought the third man.

She is alone, a small statured female. Her only advantage is her sword. It is standard practice for the player to pick off and eliminate one man at a time in a situation like that.

Maxical did everything possible to keep from killing the man wallowing on the ground - searched for the other prisoner, kept looking at Jack to stop the fight - even drew the monkeys away from him so he could stop freaking out. It obviously bothered her to kill that one.

Bottom line is, you are in the Arena to kill your opponent, and they are there to kill you. It is about survival. In game, Owyn tells you when you go in that there are no rules, just get out of there alive.

** I am not a huge fan of the Arena questline, but always do it to build up my character's combat skills (and earn Septims early in the game).
D.Foxy
Just when I thought you COULDN'T invent something new, you do...

... I learn something new every day.

Monkey Business! How absolutely brilliant, and yet, when you look at the story - how natural!! I was in stitches....I still have sore ribs...

Just imagine the humiliation of Haki!!!

having to get monkey feces in the face...

(by the way, all this is the result of ...he who shall not be named who started our mALX'xxx imagination off on mentioning feces)

... laugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

rollinglaugh.gif
mALX
QUOTE(D.Foxy @ Oct 26 2010, 12:31 PM) *

Just when I thought you COULDN'T invent something new, you do...

... I learn something new every day.

Monkey Business! How absolutely brilliant, and yet, when you look at the story - how natural!! I was in stitches....I still have sore ribs...

Just imagine the humiliation of Haki!!!

having to get monkey feces in the face...

(by the way, all this is the result of ...he who shall not be named who started our mALX'xxx imagination off on mentioning feces)

rollinglaugh.gif

Thank you so much Foxy !!! I am tickled you are aching from laughing at it, lol. - and 'he who shall not be named' bringing feces up - yes, definate inspiration for the feces in the face! I couldn't resist that, what good is having monkeys in your story if no one gets hit with monkey feces?
Destri Melarg
QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 26 2010, 08:34 AM) *

She is alone, a small statured female. Her only advantage is her sword.

I can't let you or Maxical get away with this. She may be alone, and she may be of small stature. But she is also a newly minted Gladiator, armed with a sword, against three oponents who are unarmed and cowering before her (or were they cowering before the monkeys? laugh.gif ). I didn't mean for my comments to sound harsh. I was merely struck by the blase attitude that Maxical takes toward the killing of others in the Arena. I suppose that when one is immersed in it, it might be easy to loose one's perspective.

QUOTE(D.Foxy @ Oct 26 2010, 09:31 AM) *

rollinglaugh.gif

Since I have been named, I know that you aren't referring to me. But I must share partial blame for reintroducing the 'f' word a few posts ago. Mea (most enjoyable) Culpa! evillol.gif
mALX
QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Oct 26 2010, 05:25 PM) *

But she is also a newly minted Gladiator, armed with a sword, against three oponents who are unarmed and cowering before her

She doesn't become a Gladiator till she wins the match. She is ranked well below these men.

The one that was wallowing on the ground was also the one that just knocked her in the head so hard she saw stars for quite some time - (and he hit her from behind).

These men were not helpless:

An expert in hand-to-hand doesn't need weapons, or fear them. They have both forward and backward power attacks that can disarm an opponent with one hit, can knock an opponent down and leave them stunned, disarm with just a block, and are capable of damaging ghosts.

...master level hand-to-hand can paralyze with just a block.

Anyway, the story was just meant to be funny. If it bothered you, I am sorry from the bottom of my heart. I think you are awesome and respect your opinion highly.

Acadian
I LOVED the scene where Maxical met the monkeys and was so fascinated by them - that was pure Maxical at her best!

The fight was quite the circus, well, except for the blood and other body fluids and almost beheadings. Very clever indeed how you revealed that old Jack was actually trying to look out for Maxical, despite the plotting of her and Owyn. I love that Maxical's plotting in this case didn't exactly work out the way she planned. It is nice sometimes when you highlight her delicious imperfections. Well done! tongue.gif
mALX
QUOTE(Acadian @ Oct 26 2010, 07:01 PM) *

I LOVED the scene where Maxical met the monkeys and was so fascinated by them - that was pure Maxical at her best!

The fight was quite the circus, well, except for the blood and other body fluids and almost beheadings. Very clever indeed how you revealed that old Jack was actually trying to look out for Maxical, despite the plotting of her and Owyn. I love that Maxical's plotting in this case didn't exactly work out the way she planned. It is nice sometimes when you highlight her delicious imperfections. Well done! tongue.gif

Thank you so much Acadian !!! The coco the monkey scene - I just planned to have her see the monkey dancing and got carried away with the theme. Oh well, lol. My favorite part of that chapter was the BHC cartoons at the end of the chapter, I wish I had the talent to have drawn them as cartoons instead of just describing them. You ROCK !!!!

mALX
@ EVERYONE - I think highly of Destri and value his opinion greatly. Therefore, I have rewritten the whole previous chapter.

(if anyone wants to scan it for nits, I'd appreciate it greatly).
D.Foxy
AND NOW THE BURNING QUESTION UPON MINE ...AND EVERYONE'S LIPS:

WHICH ARTIST WILL TAKE UP THE CHALLENGE, AND DRAW THOSE DAMNED CARTOONS???!!!???
mALX
QUOTE(D.Foxy @ Oct 27 2010, 01:34 AM) *

AND NOW THE BURNING QUESTION UPON MINE ...AND EVERYONE'S LIPS:

WHICH ARTIST WILL TAKE UP THE CHALLENGE, AND DRAW THOSE DAMNED CARTOONS???!!!???

YES! Er...Rachel...Raaaaachel...
haute ecole rider
You asked for nits, so here's what I picked out:

These men had fought together before, that was obvious by the teamwork they displayed when they cornered me in the chute.
This seems just a little awkward. Would this sound better to you: That these men had fought together was obvious by the teamwork they displayed when they cornered me in the chute.

Jack’s eyes startled and he leaned over staring when he saw Coco jump on me, one of the few times I’ve seen him register surprise
I think started is a better choice here, especially when you want to indicate that Jack's eyes bugged out of their sockets.

Another awkward sentence:
As I was lowering my head I saw it, the other prisoner!
Try this, would it flow better to you? As I lowered my gaze, something caught my eye. The other prisoner!

Yet another awkward sentence, this has more to do with chronological order:
Battlemasters are not allowed on the Arena floor during a match, one for foul language, and one for his combatant refusing to fight.
How about: A citation for a combatant's refusal to fight, one for the violation of the proscription of Battlemasters on the Arena floor, and one for foul language on said floor.

A typo:
Jack, I was no where near…the cage was very light and tipped…
The monkeys scared nowhere into separating into two words that do not accurately convey your intention.
mALX
QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Oct 27 2010, 10:42 AM) *

You asked for nits, so here's what I picked out:

These men had fought together before, that was obvious by the teamwork they displayed when they cornered me in the chute.
This seems just a little awkward. Would this sound better to you: That these men had fought together was obvious by the teamwork they displayed when they cornered me in the chute.

Jack’s eyes startled and he leaned over staring when he saw Coco jump on me, one of the few times I’ve seen him register surprise
I think started is a better choice here, especially when you want to indicate that Jack's eyes bugged out of their sockets.

Another awkward sentence:
As I was lowering my head I saw it, the other prisoner!
Try this, would it flow better to you? As I lowered my gaze, something caught my eye. The other prisoner!

Yet another awkward sentence, this has more to do with chronological order:
Battlemasters are not allowed on the Arena floor during a match, one for foul language, and one for his combatant refusing to fight.
How about: A citation for a combatant's refusal to fight, one for the violation of the proscription of Battlemasters on the Arena floor, and one for foul language on said floor.

A typo:
Jack, I was no where near…the cage was very light and tipped…
The monkeys scared nowhere into separating into two words that do not accurately convey your intention.

Thank you so much Naughty Haute!!! I fixed all nits !!!!! You ROCK !!!
mALX

Chapter 66: The Ape Woman

How could Hassiri dub me Ape Woman? Nicknames like that stick. And those cartoons…ARGH!

I was still fuming when Fathis sent a message in. I began scribbling a note telling Fathis I couldn’t see him when Gils imitated an ape in front of me, curling his hands into his armpits and making a raucous noise. I scrunched the note and swept past him, shutting the Bloodworks door with force.

Fathis looked like a cat with a canary in its mouth as he held out a gift box to me. “I brought you a present. I got this from the Bruma booth on the midway.”

“Enchanted greaves! How nice, Fathis! Athletics and acrobatics enhanced…what? What is this?” I pointed to a word stitched across the back of the pants.

Fathis’s eyes lit up with mischief. “Their name…‘Monkeypants’. The midway is already selling monkey souvenirs for your fans, too.” Fathis reached inside his cuirass and pulled out a stuffed monkey with oversized eyes and a toothy grin. “See? The long arms are sewn together so you can drape them around your neck. I saw several women wearing them…”

“How could they make these so quickly?” I held up the stuffed monkey.

“Tony has been selling them for years. He handles the apes and his wife runs the booth. It’s set up on the midway. Vendors were buying them up before she opened this morning.” Fathis was struggling not to laugh.

“ARGH! I will not be known as the Ape Woman!”

“It’s too late!” Fathis choked out.

If I slammed back into the Bloodworks, Gils would continue to tease me now that he knew it bothered me. Fathis wouldn’t. I turned my back to him, flattening my ears.

“Aw! Ma'Thjizzrini Qa, I only sought to bring a smile.”

“How could Hassiri call me that? He’s supposed to be in my corner!”

“He was trying to show you in a good light with beasts to break the image of you as a bear killer…although…”

“What!”

“Er…you should know…Urjabhi’s interview with the man Tony infers you incited the apes into their rebellion.”

“I incited them?” My voice squeaked.

“Tony said you became obsessed with the little monkey Coco, following him around till he thought he must call the guards to complain of you stalking him…”

“I paid him thirty Septims to play with his monkey! I only followed him because he walked away! Fathis, stop laughing! I never saw a monkey before, he wore a tiny outfit with a little hat…nothing was ever so cute…he brought me joy.”

Fathis’s voice became strained. “Tony said you scared off his other customers. He said you were…hounding him for his monkey.”

Fathis choked the last words out, visibly struggling to keep laughter back. “And now they all have…diarrhea from your treats…”

“What is with Urjabhi’s problem lately? Does he have an axe to grind against me?”

“Hassiri said Urjabhi is angry over the Lovidicus interview. It stepped on his toes since he now covers the Orc. The brothers have to work this out between them.”

“But they’re putting me in the middle of it!”

“Best stay away from any beasts till they resolve it then.“

“Ma'Thjizzrini Qa…there is something very important I must do tonight in representation of Castle Bravil. It would mean much to me if you were by my side. I don’t ask often, I ask this of you.”

“What is it?”

“Uriel Septim accepts his Birthday gifts tonight. It’s a lot of pomp and ceremony…but I will be called to give the present from Castle Bravil. I want you by my side so I can present you to the Emperor.”

“Me? Fathis…I am Khajiit, Emperors don’t meet beast species. Besides, I have nothing to wear…or give.”

“I’ve never seen him discern races in all these years. He is led by the Dragon Blood as to whom he trusts. I already chose a gift for you to present, and will gladly choose a dress for you…”

“No! I…don’t know how to wear one. It would feel awkward.”

“Your new glass armor sets off your coloring beautifully. Ma'Thjizzrini Qa, when we are married next year it will be your duty to be there…”

“Why now, then?”

“Because…his health has taken a turn this year. He doesn’t sleep well…nightmares. Should something happen…I don’t want you to have missed meeting him in person. It is an experience to carry through your lifetime and share with children and grandchildren.”

“They’ll have you to tell them about it…”

“Ma'Thjizzrini Qa…Mer, we live exceptionally long. Men do not. I feel this chance…may be the last for you to meet him. Trouble has come to him that he does not share, his eyes reflect time is ticking too quickly past for him. I ask this of you…for me, please?”

Fathis spoke truth, he had never asked a thing of me in all these years. I felt churlish giving him a hard time about it.

“Okay Fathis…I’ll go with you.”

Fathis took my hand. “Thank you, Ma'Thjizzrini Qa.”

“Would you like to see the booths on the midway?”

“Yes! Do they have a booth that covers apples with caramel? I bought one to eat, but gave it to the monkeys.”

“Don’t get me laughing again.” Fathis choked out.

“I have to see Hassiri first, though.”

The Imperial City was filled with crowds of tourists. The Market District was so packed it was almost impossible to negotiate through. Vendor’s stands and tents were thrown up anywhere space permitted, some even dotting the middle of the streets.

A laughing crowd was gathered around the door of the Black Horse Courier, blocking our way. I wiggled through and put my hand on the knob, then froze.

Stuck in the window was another cartoon. Haki kicking the prisoner, who was up in the air...lines coming from him indicating he was still flying from the kick. I was standing next to Haki saying, "No, no! Like this!" and had one leg doing a kick.

"Look! It's her! The Ape Woman!" The crowd started yelling. Oh dear gods.

The booths were exciting, selling things the stores here never had. Fathis said the merchants were livid, complaining to Ocato that the vendors were ruining their business.

One young Nord sold sugar spun till it was lighter than air, colored and flavored with the juices from berries. He had to crank a bin on a pulley rapidly, removing his shirt as he became heated from the effort. Crowds of women were gathered to ogle his bare chest glistening in the sunlight. The spun sugar tasted so good it made me feel lightheaded.

One stand had two men standing on opposite ends of the booth pulling something into stretchy ropes between them. It turned out to be a stiff candy, the man called it ‘taffy’ and it came in different flavors.

Fathis hadn’t lied, several women were walking around with stuffed monkeys hanging around their necks. My face turned purple whenever anyone pointed at me and I heard, “Isn’t that the Ape Woman?” I jabbed my elbow into Fathis for choking whenever it happened.

I caught sight of Gils as we walked around, his arms loaded down with some exciting looking things. He was alone...I breathed in relief.

Gils seemed to be handling our breakup…too well. His mat was still pulled up close to mine in Andronicus‘s corner…but he never reached for me in the night, even when he knew everyone was asleep. Was he over me already? Moving on? Just the thought gripped me with pain.

Fathis was watching my face, had he seen me looking at Gils? I spoke the first thing I could think of.

“Where are all these people staying? Is there enough hotels in the city for them all?”

Fathis hesitated before answering, still watching my face.

“No, and it’s been a big problem for the Legion. Many were going door-to-door banging and asking for a room. Some got in fights when turned down. Traven said the healers are being run ragged. The Arcane set up a tent for healing if anyone gets ill. The idea was to give practice to the senior class who majored in healing. He said the tent stays full of tourists who couldn’t get hotel rooms, they only want to sleep on the cots.”

The Imperial City buzzed with noise; vendors hawking their wares…tourists exclaiming at everything like they never saw a building before. The streets were overcrowded, strangers jostling and staring as if the locals were insects…rudeness. Maybe it‘s the entitlement of one who spent so much to visit, I don‘t know. Too many acted as if we were naught but extensions of the servants at their inns, walking up and demanding directions or assistance.

“I have to get back, Fathis…clean up for tonight and get Andronicus to polish my armor.”

“Is there anything else you want from the booths?”

“More spun sugar…caramel apples…oh! And more of that fudge…and taffy, just the black colored.”

“Ma'Thjizzrini Qa…I will get you what you wish, but you may need the healers yourself if you eat any more sweets. These things make your stomach hurt if you have too much…and you already have.”

“I wo ee m ill oni…” I tried to swallow and start again. “I won’t eat them till tonight.”

“You’re already eating them now…”

“Well just this, then I’ll stop.”

“Ma'Thjizzrini Qa…there is caramel stuck in the fur all over your face. Will it stain?”

“I don’t know, I never had it before. It’s on my fingers too.”

“Make sure you get it all out before tonight.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t go…”

“I want you there, Ma'Thjizzrini Qa. Er…I‘ll kiss you tonight after you‘ve cleaned up, otherwise you’ll get the velvet of my suit sticky.”

Gils’ mat was covered with the things he bought from the booths. They were items one would give to a girl. Oh dear gods, were they for Horski?

“Where is Gils?” I asked Andronicus when I handed her my armor to polish.

“He’s in the bathing room.”

I felt a sharp intake of breath. “Alone?” I barely breathed it, but she heard me and nodded.

I dumped my pack, turning first one way then the other. Everything in me screamed to join him in there.

“Your face is covered with something.” Andronicus’s eyes showed she understood. “Better go clean right away before you get it on everything in here.”

“Thank you…”

I hurried in, turning quickly and bolting the door as if I didn’t know Gils was in there. I tried to feign surprise when my eyes fell on him bathing.

“Oh…I didn’t know you were in here…“

“Yes you did.”

“I have something all over me…”

“Caramel apple. I saw it at the midway.”

“It’s sticky.” I ad-libbed.

“I’m not going to sit here and make small talk or play games, Maxical. Pinarus sent the deed, I’m ready to go. You have to decide, either you love me and our marriage stands…or the vows you swore with me meant naught to you. When I make Champion I’m moving to Anvil so I won‘t have to see you with Fathis anymore. You will be with me if I ever meant anything to you.“

“I can’t…he’ll kill you next time, Gils.”

“Maxical, why hasn’t he started you? The man has bedded all of Tamriel, why are you still untouched? I’d wager even after you’re married a year your show will still be blue…unless you take a lover. The man has no desire to bed you, is that the marriage you want? You know what we had between us, can you really give that up for the farce he is offering you and calling marriage?”

“I’ll owe him everything he has spent…”

“Then we’ll pay it. We have a home now, we’ll eat. You’ll have to give up saving for the Golden Armor, we can both give him our take from the Cage Match. He can‘t take you from me…unless you want to go.”

“He’ll hunt you down if I go with you, Gils. Besides, it’s not just me. What about Agronak? He is here again, you know that was him that killed the bear. And he was following me.”

“I know it was him. I’ll talk to Hannibal about ways to fight his mind control. Did you see the presents I bought you on my mat?”

“Those are for me? Not…Horski?”

Gils splashed me. “Jealous?”

“Maybe.”

“Are you going somewhere tonight?”

“I’m supposed to meet Uriel Septim.”

“Then see what I bought you first.”

There was a toy ogre that hopped around when you compressed the springs in his legs; a funny bird that would fly a short ways if you twisted his legs; a pillow made to look like a mud crab; one of the stuffed monkeys; and an egg made of chocolate, when I ate it there was a tiny wooden doll inside.

I stuck a Septim on the ogre’s head with chewing gum and made him hop around Owyn’s feet. While Owyn tried to get the Septim, Gils got the Pits betting on the ogre or Owyn. Everyone roared at Owyn’s attempts.

haute ecole rider
Seems to me someone has spent a lot of time at the carnivals this past summer!

I had to laugh at the bare chested Nord surrounded by women. Reminded me of the Waffle Man surrounded by university girls!
Acadian
Maxical doesn't need chewing gum or carmel. Trouble follows and sticks to her without it. Lol.

When it comes to Fathis and Gils, I am still kinda hangin' out for door #3. Janus is starting to sound better.

But, on the other hand, poor Maxical seems to have no idea what she wants. Confused kitty and confused suitors. Gils wants her and she says no. Why? Blame it on mean ol' Fathis (cuz Maxical doesn't know what she wants). I think all of this is brilliant, and in a headspinning way, realistic.

How wonderfully you are presenting the Imperial City in festival mode! Nice job capturing that. smile.gif
Destri Melarg
“I paid him thirty Septims to play with his monkey!”

If you insist on leaving a curve like that hanging over the plate, then I am duty bound to put it over the fence! rollinglaugh.gif Dearest Maxical . . . I know Fathis won’t start you and Gils won’t quit Aggie, but paying a man to play with his monkey seems a little hard-up, don’t you think?! nono.gif

I am really glad that Ma’Thjizzrini Qa accepted Fathis’ invitation. The fact that he only calls her by her given name indicates a respect that I don’t feel echoed in Gils. I know that Fathis has put many a foot wrong in their relationship. Perhaps in presenting her to the Emperor he seeks to put a foot right. On the other hand, one can almost hear Maxical's heart skip a beat whenever she thinks of Gils. And trinkets from him seem to move her more than the most expensive gifts from Fathis. I think her heart (if not her mind) has already made a choice.

D.Foxy
GRRRRR.....I hate Destri....he has hit my softball...

Er..

blink.gif

:blush:

... what I meant was....

...never mind.
treydog
If I slammed back into the Bloodworks, Gils would continue to tease me now that he knew it bothered me. Fathis wouldn’t.

Fathis spoke truth, he had never asked a thing of me in all these years. I felt churlish giving him a hard time about it.

Interesting insights. Maxical sees, but I am not sure she observes.

The other thing that Maxical has yet to learn is that “reporters” are on the side of whatever sells papers.

Even though Agronak’s mind control has been revealed, I still have a hard time trusting Gils. I guess I have known too many “players” to be certain of his motives. He appears willing to risk Fathis’ murderous anger, and he claims that he is sincere- but we only have his word for it.

As for Fathis, his motives appear more transparent to me, but no better. His treatment of Maxical still has an air of “ownership” instead of companionship. Again, that may be my naturally suspicious reaction to older men around much younger women.

Yes, like Acadian, I am still holding out for Door #3 or even Door #4…

I do hope you understand that my doubts about the “male leads” are not intended to be critical of your story-
telling skill- just the opposite, in fact. It is because you have given them such vivid and complete personalities that I feel the need to caution the poor confused kitty. BTW- vegetable oil or peanut butter will get rid of most of the caramel. But Maxical should probably stay away from elephants for a while…

The foreshadowing of Uriel’s demise adds a great deal to the story.
Rachel the Breton
mALX, my internet has been down for awhile...again...that's another story. Anyway, I'm at work now waiting for a call to test things...and I brought my personal laptop just so I could read this story, LOL. Great stuff!

The monkeys were hilarious...and "Ape woman"...priceless! And your way of introducing Uriel is excellent as well!

If I slammed back into the Bloodworks, Gils would continue to tease me now that he knew it bothered me. Fathis wouldn’t.

Ahhh...haven't we all met both types of people, the Gils' and Fathis'. And you capture them so well, with their character quirks and shortcomings. Inconsiderate, often self-centered -- often, but not always, and exciting and a lot of fun if their life and yours are going in the same direction. Or tries to be considerate, but often misses the big picture or the important details; not necessarily as fun or exciting as the Gils type, at least until you give them a chance, but generally dependable and trustworthy. Sometimes age is a factor, and sometimes it's just maturity, sometimes it's personality, and sometimes it's a combination of factors... Both are, above all, though, human. Beautifully done! As for Maxical...Fathis was her childhood crush...now her love for him seems to have matured into something else...is it the strong, lasting love that comes after the butterflies stage passes? Or has she simply outgrown her childhood love to find that her "love" is better as a cherished friendship? I've no doubt it would be easier for Maxical to tell if love and passion were still a factor in her relationship with Fathis if Janus wasn't...interfering. tongue.gif
With Gils, she's still very much in the butterflies stage. Is their relationship strong enough to live beyond that? Again, if not for the interference of "Aggie", she might find it easier to figure out.
And, of course, there's Janus. However...this new Janus makes me want to get out some garlic, wild roses and, of course, stakes! tongue.gif Any one feel like joining my "angry mob" and hunting down a nasty vampire? (Because this Janus is a nasty one, lol!)

Anyhow, I am totally rambling. tongue.gif I just wanted to let you know that I love this story, and the very real, human characters you bring to life in it. Few authors can create characters that you "know". You do it. These people are not cardboard cut-outs of human beings; they're real. They're good, they're bad, they're everywhere in between. Thank you for doing such a superb job -- it is a privilege and a pleasure to read!!!
mALX
@ Naughty Haute - Don't I wish!!! I usually go to the fair every year, but this year I had too much going on to go. I am nuts about the food booths and the midway - don't ride the rides much because I'm a puking kind of person.

Thank you so much Haute!!! That chapter you posted last - I could read that daily and never tire of it !!!!! AWESOME Write !!!!!! You had me screaming and hooting at my PC, Lol !!!! (truth!)

@ Acadian - Thank you so much Acadian !!! I loved your "trouble sticking to her" comment !!!

Maxical is confused, you are right. Plus, she is not taking any responsibility for her own mistakes in what is going on either. She was sheltered and spoiled all her life, (and this is her first four-five months on her own). She needs to mature, begin thinking about other's needs and realize how her actions affect others.

(like how she flaunts Fathis before Gils, (not thinking how that will affect him) but feels jealousy thinking about him with Horski, etc.) - she is immature yet.

She needs to learn that she is the master of her fate and the captain of her soul (take responsibility for what happens to her and get her own self out of trouble when she gets in it)

Gils is her first real boyfriend, first kiss, first everything. That is a very hard thing to walk away from - especially when you are still living with the guy, lol.

* But, she has a very real fear of Fathis killing Gils...and a dread of Aggie being a part of Gils.

Fathis was her childhood crush. They could have built on that and become a couple, but now there has been time and distance - and another man.

If it hadn't been for Janus (altering Fathis's behavior and messing with his equipment) - he would be in a lot stronger position. She trusts Fathis. They have twelve years of closeness between them and he has always been there for her...till now, when it is critical, lol.

He hasn't had a chance to start a relationship with her due to Janus's spells - and the longer it goes on that he doesn't, the better Gils is going to look to her.

Thank you again, Acadian!! You ROCK !!!!

@ Destri - Thank you so much Destri !!!! ROFL!!! I can't believe you beat Foxy to that one!!!! ROFL !!!!

You pegged it on the gifts, she does not see values at all. (and can't add). Add to that the fact that, everything she has ever wanted has come too easily, she has not faced any real struggle yet.

It would really be good for her to have to exist on her own and not have someone else paying for things a while so she could learn the value of a Septim, ROFL !!!!

This next chapter will take her on a road to growing up a bit. Thanks again Destri !!!!!

@ Foxy - I wrote that with your humor in mind, too !!!! ROFL !!!! Thank you so much Foxy !!! This next chapter has a paragraph or two with you in mind as well !!!!

@ Treydog - Thank you so much Treydog !!!!

You are so right about the reporters!!! Hassiri lets his brother slam her, then gathers the bribes to write a retraction - both are front page news, ROFL !!!!!

Fathis - he has changed some towards dropping the ownership, but not enough. He still has a ways to go with that.

Thank you so much for the kind words on the characters, that means tons to me to hear coming from you !!! Your subtle growth shown in Athlain - that is as realistic as it gets !!! People don't change over night, but over time - Athlain's maturity has developed so realistically that it is almost like being a parent and watching a child grow!!!

But Maxical should probably stay away from elephants for a while.

SPEW !!!!!!! You ROCK Treydog !!!!!!

@ Rachel - One of the things I love so much about getting any comment from you is that you pick up on every nuance of the characters that I tried to bring out in them - motivations, weaknesses, strengths - it is AWESOME to know that what I was trying to show in them actually came through !!!! You ROCK Rachel !!!! And you were spot on with everything you said, absolutely everything !!!! Thank you so much for everything Rachel !!!!!
mALX

** Uriel’s poem he gives Maxical is Invictus, by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

*** There is a cameo in this chapter of an unknown Bosmer Janitor…which some readers may recognize.

Chapter 67: Uriel Septim VII

Fathis’s deep loyalty to Uriel Septim VII was a part of him as long as I’ve known him…loyalty is not a strong enough word, it barely scratches the surface of how he feels about the Emperor. That Fathis would lay down his life in a heartbeat for Uriel was a given.

The gift Fathis chose for me to present was wrapped in fine gold cloth. “A robe.” He whispered to keep me from peeking, then explained how to present it to the Emperor when we were called.

“What did Count Terentius send?”

“He doesn’t send, he has me choose a gift and purchase it.”

“Then reimburses you?”

“I asked for reimbursement once, the healers had to be called when he saw the receipt. I don’t ask anymore.”

Fathis elbowed me to stop scowling at Ocato as he approached. He waved us forward, calling out in his high pitched voice, “Fathis Aren, Court Mage, representing Castle Bravil with guest Mapisqua.”

Fathis glanced at me to make sure I didn’t draw down on Ocato for mispronouncing my name. I was too nervous to care.

Fathis was renowned for his diplomacy…I’d never heard him in action before. He was amazing…impressive. His rapport with the Emperor was tangible. Uriel trusted him, I could feel it emanating from him…till Fathis drew me forward and introduced me.

The second Uriel Septim’s eyes landed on me he froze mid word. His face paled visibly as if he was seeing a ghost. Fathis was wrong about him not seeing race…I should never have come…

Being armored, I could only sink to one knee and lower my head as a man would, there is no way to curtsy when armored without looking a fool. My stomach felt as if it had been punched from the humiliation.

Almost woodenly Uriel waved me to come forward. Fathis tugged me up, guiding me to stand in front of the throne.

“Forgive me Sire. I have no place in your presence…” I cringed inside from the look of dread in the Emperor’s eyes.

"You ...I've seen you…” He motioned me closer and his liaison hurried over and grabbed my arm, escorting me up the steps to the throne.

Should I keep my knees bent and walk like a mud crab so my head would remain below the Emperor‘s? Fathis had stayed behind, I glanced back at him with a look of desperation. So discreetly that I wasn’t even sure I really saw it, Fathis moved his hand in a downward motion. I sank down, keeping my head bowed.

“Let me see your face…“

My breath did a quick intake as I looked up. I had only seen the silvery hair from a distance before. Here, just feet from him…he was handsome. The 87 years left no evidence on his face, no lines marred it. His eyes were sharp…the color of the Rumare in a storm. The silver hair enhanced, framing with one unruly lock tumbling on his forehead like a youth. His build was slight, but powerful…a warrior.

People said you couldn’t walk a step in Cyrodiil without tripping over one of his natural children. Seeing him in person…yes, I could easily understand how women’s hearts could pound for him.

How beautiful he was…but his eyes reflected tension, his jaw rippled with it…and it had to do with me, that was clearly seen in his eyes. A deep red flush of humiliation crept across my face…the Emperor didn‘t trust me.

“You are the one from my dreams…” It was barely a whisper said under his breath.

His bearing went from that of someone who held the responsibility of many to one who faced his own mortality. His eyes reflected exhaustion…and mortal dread in connection with me. Fathis said he was having nightmares, does he think me an assassin?

"Nightmares…of me? Sire, I would throw myself on my sword before allowing harm to come to you…”

"I know my doom child, you are not it. The Dragon blood runs in the veins of all Septims. It gives us the power to see things other men cannot. The stars guide our paths, and the wisdom of the Gods is given us. I have seen your face in my dreams."

That explained the nightmares, royalty seeing beast species in their sleep. I grabbed my tail to still its swishing.

"You dreamt of Khajiit?”

“Not Khajiit, child. It was you …an omen of ill times ahead.”

I gasped. He may as well have said jinx. That superstition about albinos being jinxes…the painful memories of being taunted as a child resurfaced. I hadn’t been called that in years. Fathis was wrong about Uriel, he was as prejudice as Ocato. My eyes burned with tears that I fought against shedding in front of him...and anger at Fathis for insisting I come.

“I’m no jinx, Sire.” It was barely a whisper, but he heard.

"You misunderstand me, child. In you I behold a new sun rising, coming to banish the darkness…the dawn of Akatosh's bright glory. With such hope, and your promise of aid…my heart must be satisfied. The age to begin service is twenty-one, do I have your promise to return so I can prepare you for what lies ahead?“

"Huh? I don’t…understand, Sire."

He leaned forward, frustration dawning; his face close enough to mine that his breath played over my whiskers. His eyes like sea storms pierced into mine. His voice remained quiet, but I felt the steel beneath.

"You gave your promise to Akatosh, your life in service to him as well as that of your first born …in exchange for a life that was in danger of passing. Do you know of what I speak now?”

Gils! The floor felt like it rocked beneath me. My hands gripped the thick carpet to keep from falling as a wave of nausea surged up to my throat. Shock kept me from sobbing aloud…or screaming. The tears I fought earlier flooded now. I turned to Fathis, desperate…Fathis, who had always saved me…make this stop.

Fathis’s face had turned as white as me. He was staggered, having to grip the ornate post beside him to steady himself. I watched him struggle to plant his feet so the Emperor wouldn’t see him weak. With shock I realized…Fathis couldn‘t save me from this.

“It is as you have said…except…there is no child as I am but seventeen years old. I am clumsy…accident prone. Even my mother says I haven‘t the brains of a tree stump. I‘m…unqualified.”

Uriel’s expression was a myriad of shock, confusion, fleeting hope…and anger.

“It‘s too late, your destiny is out of your hands now. You can’t make promises to Gods and Emperors without intention of keeping them. You feel shock now, but you must realize this is an honor detail. Do you understand my meaning?“

I understood. He spoke the language of a warrior. I must consider it an honor that Akatosh chose to use me, whatever the task.

I thought I would strangle my throat was so taut. Alix prayed to Akatosh all his life…Fathis too, begging to serve but was denied. I pray once and Akatosh pounces like a hungry leopard just days later.

Uriel looked…aghast... I felt shame, acting the child before the Emperor. Obviously I had no choice but to accept with as much dignity as I could muster, especially after the way I just humiliated myself. I straightened, looking directly into his eyes.

"Then I give you my word Sire. I will act when commanded, and hope I perform my duties in a manner that befits the honor given me in being chosen for the task. You have my promise."

Uriel nodded. "You cannot see what is in the stars for you as I have, but Akatosh has seen the path you have yet to walk. The task given you will be greater than everything you find important in your life at this time. You must prepare, for there is little time before it befalls us and Cyrodiil will need you.”

Uriel placed his hand firmly on my shoulder, not speaking. His eyes searched mine deeply till it felt like my soul was scraped raw. As if coming to a decision, Uriel pulled a yellowed parchment from the pocket of his robe, silently read it…then pressed it into my hand.

“You charted your own course, child. Nothing is random, but a product of our actions. Think about that when you read this poem. Carry it with you as if a great treasure. One day I hope you will find it is.”

“Thank you, Sire.”

I held out Uriel’s gift as Fathis had instructed. It was a robe more beautiful than any I had ever seen before. The purple velvet was richly thick, the ruby silk trimming was brushed to a high sheen and patterned with gold thread. The collar was a fine white fur. Hannibal had enchanted it heavily to reflect spells and damage from attacks, and to fortify the Emperor’s health.

Fathis gave him a cuirass with the same enchantments, it had a dragon emblazoned on it in gold. That was supposed to be from Castle Bravil. Uriel was highly pleased with both gifts.

Before we backed from his throne he spoke again.

"Do not tarry, child. You must be ready. Remember my words and heed them.”

“Ma'Thjizzrini Qa…that day in Anvil…your face, the damage to your hands…I know the suffering that wrought the promise to Akatosh. This is my doing. I will offer myself in your stead to the Emperor’s service. You are too young to stand responsible for that promise.”

“I…I just want to go home Fathis. I can’t talk about this…right now.”

“Home?”

“The Bloodworks.”

I wanted to run into the Bloodworks and slam the door behind me. Instead my feet barely raised off the ground, each step seemed an eternity.

Gils took one look at my face and grabbed a Pit. “Get Hannibal…now! OWYN!”

Owyn took one look at me. “Oh [censored]!”

I felt darkness closing over me and welcomed it.

******* High Chancellor Ocato

Ocato sat at his desk, his eyes taking in nothing except the thoughts racing through his mind. He pressed his fingers together, letting a smile play at the corners of his lips. A cadenced tap broke the silence, then the door slid open. Seconds later a tall Altmer in appeared as he dispelled his chameleon.

“What news have you, Ocato?”

“Akatosh has given him warning as we feared. There is good news, however. Akatosh has chosen a champion…one that could not be better for our purposes. I think you will be quite pleased.”

“You call this good news?”

“You will as well, when I tell you who it is. For a more inept helper could not have been handpicked by yourself. It is an albino Khajiit, a self-proclaimed idiot. Even Septim was aghast after meeting her. He has done nothing but beseech Akatosh since he met her.”

“That nut from the Arena I‘ve been reading about in the Courier? The Ape Woman?”

“The very same. She bawled like an infant when Septim told her. And here’s icing on the cake, Akatosh gave Uriel to understand the champion would be 21 when trouble befalls him. The albino is but 17, I have her documents right here! Septim insisted on seeing them. He has been lulled into a false security, believing he has time now.”

“How could this be? Akatosh can’t be wrong! Could Uriel have spoken to the wrong one?”

“There is only one albino Khajiit in Tamriel, it is she. She has already had Septim awakened twice in the middle of the night sending men begging to serve in her stead. Septim nearly choked denying them, especially Fathis Aren.”

“Aren! It’s a relief he was denied, he would be trouble. What skills has she?”

“Some sword skills, otherwise she’s useless. Very easy to eliminate.”

“No. She must live or Akatosh will send another more qualified. I have some good news as well. Lord Dagon joins his force to ours. We will be unstoppable.”

Ocato’s smile stiffened to a frown after Mankar Camoran slid silently out. Camoran was as dumb as Akatosh’s new champion to bring Dagon in! Dagon‘s own agenda would supersede any mortal’s plans, Cyrodiil would end the way of Old Mournhold! What use would power be over deadlands?

Ocato rose suddenly from his chair, nearly tipping it. Could Camoran suspect he would become dispensable after the deed was done and be making plans of his own?

Having Camoran’s cult clear the throne, bringing the rule of Tamriel into Ocato’s hands…it was genius. But Mankar Camoran was power hungry. He needed to be watched.

Ocato hurried into the corridor, nearly slipping across the wet floor where that disgusting little janitor was scrubbing.

“Watch what you’re about, idiot!”

“Sorry, Boss.” The Bosmer tipped his hat to Ocato, a snaggle-toothed leer splitting his ugly face.

Acadian
Maxical's interactions with the Emperer were priceless. The gravity of the situation punctuated with her so very 'Maxicalish' internal observations and reactions was magnificent. That whole scene was truly one of your very best! Bravo, mALX! biggrin.gif

Ah, so Ocato shows his true colors, and they are neither loyal nor pretty.

I think I know who the janitor is. I'll let Friend Foxy confirm whether I'm right. wink.gif
haute ecole rider
Oooh, yes, I quite agree with Acadian concerning the scene between Uriel and Maxical. This is much better written than in the previous version, and is so much more memorable. This chapter has a definite feel of a significant plot advancement.

You're right about Maxical needing to grow up and realize the consequences of her actions. This is a great start to that process that all of us must go through - eventually.

I'm looking forward to more!
treydog
“I asked for reimbursement once, the healers had to be called when he saw the receipt. I don’t ask anymore.”

And there is an example of what I mean by characterization! Even people we may not meet are given vivid traits. Plus the fact that it is funny.

The scene with Uriel, on the other hand, is pure drama. (And that is a very good thing, indeed.) A great strength of your story is that we know so much of Maxical’s background, and can understand her confusion over the Emperor’s reaction and words.

I pray once and Akatosh pounces like a hungry leopard just days later.

That’s the god’s for you- they’re just like parents. They ignore you until you wish they weren’t looking, and then you can’t move for tripping over them.

And I see Ocato is up to his scrawny neck in the plotting.

Dagon‘s own agenda would supersede any mortal’s plans, Cyrodiil would end the way of Old Mournhold!

Love the way this brings in Marooned Dragon’s previous attempt to destroy the Mundus.

This chapter foreshadows the darkness that is to come, but it also shows that Maxical has greatness ahead of her.
mALX
@ Acadian - Thank you so very much Acadian !!!! Your kind words mean a lot to me !!!! (and you guessed right!!!)

@ Naughty Haute - Thank you so much Haute!!! I agree, I like this one much better than the original too. And yes! Maxical def has to do some maturing !!!

@ Treydog - Thank you so very much Treydog!!! Especially since you clarified that !!! I was thinking, "OH NO! Drama!" ROFL !!! (WHEW! What a relief !!!!) Before I got your answer I started editing like a banshee, but I love the edits, so it was a good thing, lol.

The first two you quoted were among my favorite sentences in the chapter.

You and your writing have inspired me in a lot of ways, You ROCK !!!!!
mALX
** There is a cameo of an unknown recluse living at the Tiber Septim

Chapter 68: Jakben Imbel

Gils told Owyn he was going to seek audience with Uriel and offer himself in my stead, since his was the life the promise was made for. He was gone when Owyn and Hannibal helped me to my mat, but when I woke up later he was laying beside me on my mat…his arms wrapped around me, the familiar feel of his chest beneath my cheek.

It seemed forever since we had slept this way. I knew every beat of his heart, every breath, every sound…the aroma of him came alive in my nostrils. I breathed him in deeply, and for just a few blessed seconds I could almost believe it was before we went to Anvil…that none of this other ever happened.

Then reality crushed the moment, stealing those seconds of dreamlike state where anything is possible. How can so many things deteriorate in such a short space of time?

It was truth, I gave the promises to Akatosh fully from my heart. At the time I was so desperate, I would have offered my soul to Clavicus Vile to save Gils…I may have for all I know.

My anger at Fathis for insisting I go tonight…it’s wrong, I know that. Akatosh would have found another vessel to extract his promise if Fathis and Uriel had not been available, of that I have no doubt.

Even realizing this, I can’t seem to let it go or forgive…because I blame it all on the promise Fathis holds over me. The situation would never have come up if not for that.

Fathis would not have come to Anvil, but for that promise. He wouldn’t have been scouring Anvil seeking to kill Gils. Gils would have walked home with me…safe. Instead he was in Crowhaven being attacked by Agronak. There would have been no prayers to Akatosh if Fathis had never come.

Gils was right, Fathis has no notion of being with me…he’s just claiming me as his right, ownership bestowed on him by that promise. That statement is defined even more profoundly at this moment, laying here untouched…in the arms of the man I swore marriage vows with.

That promise wasted precious time and life, just wasted it...and suddenly they are slipping away so fast I can’t grasp quick enough to get them back. It‘s like trying to hold sand…the tighter you squeeze your fingers together, the faster it slips through them.

What I’m feeling now, laying in Gils’ arms...I don’t think another man exists that could make me feel this. And I had almost lost him.

Gils’ breathing changed, he was waking. I moved in closer to him, thankful to feel him still come alive at my nearness…my touch. We had barely begun when Owyn woke, shouting and rousing everyone.

“What the hell is going on now?” Owyn stomped over and stood over us, staring. “Come on, we’ve got to get to the Merchants now!” He continued to stand staring. We got up.

“I’ll move our mats back into the bathing area when we get back tonight. It’s better you tell Fathis first anyway.” Gils’ eyes glowed with passion again, they hadn’t done that since our breakup.

******* Janus (continued from page 24, chapter 56)

The Imperial City was ridiculously crowded, dangerous for an ancient to be wandering. Janus hurried from the Merchants to the only other inn worth bribing the Publican to drop a reservation, the Tiber Septim. The rooms were not just reserved, they were already occupied...mostly by some recluse that hogged quite a few of the rooms for his own use.

The scent of an ancient had come strongly as Janus crossed the quad to the inn. In a spur of the moment decision he decided to beard that one in his lair.

“Jakben Imbel. Long time no see…“

“Even longer since I’ve heard that stupid platitude. Cut to the chase, Hassildor.”

This wasn‘t starting out well. “How do you fare, Imbel? I’m in town for a few days, but it seems the festivities have all the hotels filled. Would you be so kind as to extend some hospitality to a brethren?”

“Amazing how suddenly everyone claims kinship on the flimsiest pretext when looking for a handout. I don’t relish company…”

“These crowds and the heightened security…It’s dangerous out here for our kind.”

“I don’t want it to get dangerous in here for me, Immortal. It will be easy for you to sleep well with me under the same roof…I can‘t say the same for my own sleep with you in here.”

“I’m not into murdering my hosts. Come, we’ve dealt with each other in the past, why the lack of trust now?”

“That was on your turf. This is mine…and I can’t help but wonder what has brought you this far from your lair…”

“I’m not poaching, if that is your concern. I’m here to choose a bride and return to Castle Skingrad with her.”

“You mean you’re here for your chosen?”

“I don’t have one. I thought I’d attend the festival, there should be a large selection of women there…”

“That’s a lie. You’ve met the chosen one, it‘s writ’ all over you.”

“Hal-Liurz had some notion about a girl, said she saw it in her hist tea grounds.”

“Oh, I see. She’s a virgin, and you think you’ll have the blood instead. You won‘t be able to, you know. The nature won‘t let you, it’ll protect the one.”

“Hal said that too, I didn‘t know if it was true. Chosen or not, I can’t marry her. You know that my father arranged my marriage with Rona to further my political career. This time it will be a bride of my choosing, my tastes.”

“I wish you luck bringing home the wrong bride, and it will be since all you are seeking is large breasts and pouting lips…or were you thinking pouting breasts and large lips? Either way, you’ll find plenty of that in this town…especially now, when everyone in Tamriel is here. You’ll have a smorgasbord to choose from.” Imbel put on a condescending expression, making sure Janus saw it.

“I never realized how unnerving it is to have one’s secret innermost thoughts read.”

“Learn to blank your mind then. What‘s wrong with the chosen?”

“She’s fine enough for me, but not to be Countess. The people of Skingrad would never accept it. I don‘t want to buy trouble that could end in my nature being exposed.”

Jakben snorted. “They won’t accept the one you were thinking of either. She looked like she’d be more comfortable working on a street corner…under a lamppost.”

“Touché’. I’m sure I’ll find a middle ground somewhere in that festival. If you’re worried I’ll find your farm in the basement, I already smelled it. Your secret will remain with me…although I find you abhorrent for it.”

“I don’t like you either Hassildor. I suppose if I don’t give you a room your scruples may give your conscience trouble about my basement?”

“Do you imagine I will run to the guards? I can’t, as you well know. As disgusting as I find what you do, you have my word your secret will remain with me. I am a gentleman, my word is good.”

Jakben hesitated, then gapped the door slightly more. “At least mine don’t find themselves at the bottom of the Rumare like Seridur‘s. I’d rather make a slave than a corpse to dispose of. I’d appreciate it if you find somewhere else to go as quickly as possible. As I said, I don’t relish company…yours even less than most.”

Janus stepped into the entry and glanced around. “You have quite a mansion here. I read about your acquisition of it. Very nice. I thought by now you would have secured a son to pass it on to.”

“I’ve got time, and other interests than settling down and producing right now…not that it‘s any of your business. Besides, women take as kindly to my basement activities as you have.” Jakben surprised a laugh out of himself at Janus’s expense.

He continued talking over his shoulder as he led the way up the stairs to the private quarters.

“I prefer my quarters for meals. If you insist you can join me there.” Jakben stressed the word ‘insist’ as he pointed to his suite at the end of the hall, then opened a door and let Janus into a well furnished room.

“I do think I would prefer your company to that of your man servant.”

Jakben snorted. “He’s loyal.”

“This room is very nice, I appreciate the hospitality.”

Jakben grunted, then made his way to his own suite, calling over his shoulder as he walked away. “Gentleman’s hours on the meals, none of your Colovian country ways here. If you feel hungry between times call Gemellus Axius. He’ll bring you something.“

“You have a good wine collection here, Imbel.”

“I don’t need you to tell me that.”

“I was just making conversation.”

“Did I look like I was in need of one? If you tell me how nice the weather is, I’ll have Gemellus poison your food. You being immortal it won’t kill you, but it will make you as sick as your amateur attempts at conversation are making me.”

“You seem a bit rusty yourself. Crusty may be a better term.”

“That’s the way I prefer it. You are here in my lair, I didn‘t invite you to come. You plan on trying to pick up women in this town with that inane drivel you call conversation? You won‘t get far.”

“I was not trying to pick you up, you have no idea what conversation I have.”

“Don’t I? Prosing on and on about Daedric Lords and the blasphemies…may as well discuss crop rotation. Women don’t want to hear that kind of thing. You’ve been out of the loop too long, Hassildor. You’re going to flop on your face out there.”

Jakben was echoing thoughts that had gone through Janus‘s mind as well. At age seventeen he had good looks and a future ahead of him, women fell across his path easily. Even though he was a Count now, he was fanged and pink-eyed...and could only offer joint isolation. The plan to approach and hit on women had sounded easy in Skingrad, but to actually begin doing it had begun to feel a bit daunting.

“You have a point. It’s been over fifty years…of course I’ve held conversations with Hal-Liurz and the prostitutes.”

“They’re both paid to pretend interest, you can’t use them as example.”

Janus paused before answering. Would they have found him as interesting if not paid?

“You‘ve had over 300 years experience, what is your approach with women you aren’t acquainted with?”

“Well I don’t prose at them or debate scholarly subjects. That’s your idea of a warm-up to romance, and the reason you have to pay them to listen. You want to learn, your best bet is to let Vicente teach you a thing or two. Smooth as silk, he is. He juggles three or more women constantly, they beg him for his favors. …You’ll run into him.”

“Why, is he coming here as a guest?”

“Not likely, unless like you he claims a relationship that doesn‘t exist. No, he’ll be after your chosen one. He’ll latch onto her scent like a bloodhound. HA! Get it?”

treydog
Then reality crushed the moment, stealing those seconds of dreamlike state where anything is possible. How can so many things deteriorate in such a short space of time?

I think we have all experienced that moment between sleep and waking, when the disaster that has overtaken us is still just a bad dream... and we try to hang on that threshold where everything is still perfect. The whole scene as Maxical begins to think of what is lost was perfectly, poignantly written. Of course, she still seems to be missing her role in all of it- except as a victim of circumstance.

“I wish you luck bringing home the wrong bride, and it will be since all you are seeking is large breasts and pouting lips…or were you thinking pouting breasts and large lips?”

And there went my morning tea.

Janus’ and Jakben’s interaction was wonderfully creepy, especially for a Halloween night. You again show your remarkable talent for quickly and clearly defining a character.

And what a way to begin the intricate, amazing interaction between Janus and Vicente- with a certain white kitty at the center of it all!

This was a great way to start my morning.
Acadian
Trey already pulled a couple super lines. This was wonderful!

I loved Maxical's circuitious rationalization in blaming everything on Fathis. Young girl thinking on display!

The interaction between Jak and Janus was priceless as well. Quite simply perfect.

I hope Jak doesn't get a hankering for some unused kitty blood! Maxical has quite the list of hungry fellows sniffing around already! 'Course, one word to Gils and Maxical could get those vamps with their virgin fettish off her tail. In fact, things are looking better for Gils. After all his competition is an old guy with ED and two vamps. tongue.gif
Destri Melarg
Chapter 67: Uriel Septim VII

Fathis was wrong about him not seeing race . . . I should never have come . . .

Leave it to Maxical to immediately jump to the wrong conclusion! The description of this first encounter with the Emperor is one that you should frame and keep in the old archives, mALX. It was fantastic!

The scene with Ocato was just as good. This chapter had the weight to match the auspiciousness (is that even a word?) of the occasion.

Chapter 68: Jackben Imbel

Now to recap, as the hours shrink before the Music Festival, you have Ocato scheming with Mankar Camoran. The Dark Brotherhood is bumbling around a suite at the Tiber Septim (one presumes). Gils is buying real estate in Anvil and warming up the old pipes (so to speak). Fathis is spending more time alone with day old cotton candy and his unsharpened sword. Janus is shacking up with the acerbic Jack be nimble and trying with everything in him to not fall in love with Maxical, even as he thinks he wants to kill her (something to which all of us of the male persuasion can relate!). There are several untended monkeys gallivanting with impunity around the Imperial City throwing feces at all and sundry. Agronak is somewhere stinking up the gutters in a dark cloak and hood with little bits of bear dangling from his fangs. And Maxical is at the center of it all, re-falling for Gils and wondering just how far off her birth papers are!!! wacko.gif

All caught up again! wink.gif
D.Foxy
Jack be nimble
Jack be quick
Jack sat upon a candlestick
And was therefore, shown to be gay.

I couldn't resist.... :meh:
mALX
@ Treydog - Thank you so very much Treydog!!! You chose my two favorite lines in the chapter to quote, and you got the same reactions to them I did writing them!! You ROCK !!!

@ Acadian - Thank you so much Acadian!!! I spewed on your ED line, lol. I think the ancients are all going to be jockeying for position, feeling each other out to guage their competition. Thank you again for all your kind words !!!

@ Destri - Thank you so very much Destri !!! Whew!!! You validated any hard work I did on that chapter with your kind words, thank you so much Destri !!! And - You pretty much got the summary down pat, lol.

@ Foxy - Thank you so much Foxy !!! I almost made Seridur gay, but it would have put my word count too high, ROFL !!!!!!
mALX

Chapter 69: Janus And Jakben

******* Janus

Jakben used his fork to point at Janus before stabbing it into the rare steak in front of him.

“You better learn to use those powers of yours, Hassildor…or stay isolated in that castle. You’ll get eaten alive in this city by vampires that haven’t a tenth the powers you have, but they’ve honed them and are skilled in their use.”

“I’ve always suffocated it when I felt the vampire emerging. Smelling that blood, there was no fighting it. My fangs broke skin for the first time that day. How can I hone powers?“

“Let the vampire out. It gains strength each time you release it. Vicente’s is out at all times. He looks like a dried up slaughterfish, yet women fight over him constantly. The testosterone draws women like flies to honey. The scent gets in their nose and it’s ambrosia to them. The nature doesn’t just read minds, it manipulates souls without your lifting a finger…a mere thought can bring you anything you desire, your aura will carry the commands without even a spell cast.”

“Odd you mentioned the scent, Hal-Liurz said the girl raved about that after I left the room. She said it was…delicious. But letting it out…I don’t know. It was like a primal beast released, I had no control over it. It was impossible to force it back once emerged, and I didn’t want to find out the hard way what it was capable of.”

“You release it often enough you’ll garner control. You have to work with it, not fight against it…like riding a wild stallion. Keep a light touch and they eventually get used to your hand on the reins. Drag constantly on the bit and they will grab it in their teeth and bolt.”

“I sure don’t want to risk doing that here in the city, not with Uriel’s law.”

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you when Vicente takes her then. What a waste. Well, you said you didn’t want her anyway. So, when do you plan to go on the prowl for Countess Tig Ol' Bitties?”

Janus choked. “I thought I’d go out evenings and scout the women out.“

”You’ve got a good laugh, let the women hear it. If you’re going out, let me offer you the use of my cattle, you’ll need to feed first.”

“I…don’t feed.”

“You planning on wandering around pink-eyed and fanged picking up women?”

“I’ll wear the cowl…”

Jakben choked out a half-chewed piece of steak, then doubled over laughing. “I’ll wager your face will ache from the slaps before you return!”

“Surely men wear cowls here, the mages from the Arcane…”

“Not picking up women they don’t. You’ll see.”

“What’s the alternative?”

“Feed. You’ve been a vampire fifty years, you’ve never fed?”

Janus shook his head no. “The thought made me ill till I smelled the virgin blood. Then…instincts took over. I need the powers right now anyway to keep close tabs on a few people. It’s imperative I stay in control of this situation so I’m not caught.”

“You’re still thinking you’ll be able to take the chosen, aren‘t you! Do you doubt my word?”

“I have to try, it’s the only way to know for sure.“

“Stubborn.” Jakben shook his head. “Never fed, huh? Your power must be tremendous, I‘ll have to sleep with one eye open.”

Janus started to answer when he caught laughter in Jakben’s eyes. It was at odd variance with that rough, serious tone of his. Janus paused, wondering suddenly if there were other times Imbel was jesting when he sounded mad. The man kept his mind blanked continuously…it was impossible to get a read on him.

“I’ll bet it’s that albino Khajiit, am I right? I’ve smelled her, especially when she gets injured in that Arena.”

“If you’ve smelled her…er…what has kept you from…taking her yourself?”

Jakben snorted. “Hunting in the backyard of the Palace? I leave those risks for amateurs like you. Don’t look for me to visit you in the dungeons when you’re caught at it.”

“It’s true, this is my first time…hunting.” Janus’s lip curled in disdain.

“Hassildor…you’re not cut out for this side of your nature. If I didn’t know she was your chosen, I’d advise you differently.”

“What do you mean?”

“The killing. The first time you’ve taken an innocent young life to feed your lust, the loathing for that side of you can hardly be lived with. You think you can control yourself and stop in time, but you can’t.”

“When that scent was in my nose…it took the guilt, I realized the possibility and didn’t…care.”

“But the scent won’t be in your nose when she lays dead. That’s when the human side of you has to live with what you’ve done. I almost took my own life more than once from the guilt; you‘re immortal and can‘t. It doesn‘t get easier, you’ll always loathe that in you that makes you weak…till you learn how to leave them alive.”

“How?”

“Take that from them first. It takes a while for the blood to change, when it does you have satisfied both your lusts and the girl lives. Unlike Seridur, I haven’t killed in years.”

“What does Seridur do? He must smell her too…”

“Seridur farms in some cave on the banks of the Rumare. It’s handy for him having the lake close enough to dump the bodies without being seen. If any happen to live he makes slaves of them and they guard the place.”

“Farming stops the drive?”

“No. It’s incentive to use willpower when the scent drives you mad. One still can’t come too close without danger. Seridur lost control recently and killed one in his backyard. It was witnessed, the idiot. Even a dog knows not to soil its own bed.”

“I’ve never liked him.”

“I think less of him than I do you, if that’s possible. But he’s not without influence in this town. He’s started a vampire hunting group, the idiots he’s hired don‘t know he is one.” Jakben snorted, then pointed his fork at Janus again.

“But Seridur sends them…and the legion…after anyone he feels is in his way; and as I said, he carries a lot of influence.”

“Thanks for the warning.” Janus nodded, surprising a friendly glance from Jakben…quickly covered by a sneer.

“Imbel, I’ve never dealt with anything like this before. I could no more control it than stop breathing. Is there a way?”

“You can’t fight the pull of the chosen. I couldn’t when I found mine. That’s primal, as powerful as it’ll ever get. I lost her long before you were born.”

“I’m sorry…”

Jakben waved Janus’s condolences away. “No point consoling me now, that’s long past.”

“You only get one chosen?”

“One is all you’ll need. Make yours and she’ll live forever, like you. My line is not immortal. She let me make her after we’d been together a few years. We had nearly 137 years of bliss when she was killed. To answer your question…when you lose one, your nature finds you another…but only when you are ready for it in here.” He pounded his cuffed hand over his chest. “I’m not wanting another…yet.”

“137 years…and no children came of it?”

“No, not that it’s your business. What is your obsession in finding out if I have a child? Are you planning to kill me and take over the mansion? Making sure no heir stands in your way of it?”

Jakben’s voice sounded querulous, but his eyes were laughing before he hooded them. Janus was startled once again by the discrepancy. How much else of what Jakben said had he been teasing about? He had a habit of talking with his back to one and keeping his mind blanked. Despite himself, Janus was intrigued and answered honestly.

“Curious. In all these years I never heard of a vampire producing get, just assumed it wasn’t possible till the other day, Lovidicus’s son.”

Jakben snorted. “Lovidicus, that loose screw. Never could stand him.”

“The son is worse, really unbalanced. But his powers far exceed Lovidicus’s. He used mind control from the womb…was powerful long before being made. Now…there is no telling what he is capable of.”

“You planning on producing when you bring Countess Bags O’ Fun back to Skingrad?”

Janus choked on a laugh. “No. I was just…curious if that was common or phenomenon.”

“Phenomenon? Oh, you will definitely fall on your face out there.“

Jakben slammed the Courier down in front of Janus. “You brought him here, didn’t you!”

“Who?”

“You know who, Lovidicus‘s brat! Did you bring him to distract from your actions?”

“Surely he’ll draw attention to himself and be blamed for any victim, especially after shredding that bear.”

“Think, lad! He’ll draw real vampire hunters down here! You couldn’t have planned that out carefully!”

“I planned to be gone before they arrived…”

“You! What about me? Your ‘brethren‘, remember? Soil up my backyard with that nut and a bunch of hunters…then leave your trash on our doorstep and slip back off to your castle? One problem, just one…you look for me to come visit you till the heat is off.”

“Of course! You are welcome anytime.”

“Don’t think that is reciprocal.”

Janus chuckled. “I don’t.”

“Hassildor, I gave my word not to poach on your chosen without your leave. Vicente will though, he isn‘t bothered with scruples either as vampire or man. He arrived early this morning. While you search for a bride you find acceptable, the chosen will be in danger by him. Where I would leave her alive, Vicente won’t. Since you stated you have no use of her anyway, why don’t you give me that leave?”

Janus shoved back his chair and stood as if challenged. “So that’s the catch? You let me stay here…for her?”

Jakben remained seated, busying himself with trimming a minute bit of fat off the edge of his steak. “Even though you’re rejecting her as mate…you still can’t take your own chosen, lad. But any of us can. She is up for grabs. I am gentleman enough to ask your…permission. Others won‘t.”

“You could have had her at any time, why the sudden interest?”

“Not sudden interest…sudden access. I don’t hunt in this city, too dangerous. You have the mage in your power, planned for him to bring you the girl. If you’re rejecting her anyway, you could have him bring her to me.”

“You were right, I have to learn to blank my mind.“ That’s when it hit Janus. “You used mind control on me to come to your door!”

“You needed a room. You can’t pick up women smelling of the sewers.”

“How long have you been reading my mind?”

Hassildor, you never leave Skingrad. I had to know what brought you from your lair. I gave you good advice about blanking your mind, it blabbed everything as you approached…probably what brought Vicente in. I’ve been upfront with you, given you sound advice…”

“You charmed me into liking you using your vampire powers! Why didn’t I realize that?”

“Some, but not that much…I have natural charm. Hassildor, the happiest time of my life was with my chosen. I’ve tried every way possible to talk you into accepting yours, you don‘t even want the girl. At least with me, should you change your mind later your chosen will be alive…her death won’t be on your conscience. You’ve no time left, Vicente and Seridur won’t wait for permission. They‘ll use mind control on you to bring her to them. If you don’t let that vampire out to protect her, you’ll lose her anyway.“

“You warned me about the one with lesser powers that would eat me alive…it was you!”

“Can’t say I’m not honest…it’s the nature of the beast, Hassildor. …Aw lad, don‘t leave mad!”

Remko
Sorry it took me so long but rest assured I kept up with your story (and on all the others too)

Love the changes you have made. So now 3 vampires are on the prowl? Interesting smile.gif
D.Foxy
It is chapter 69!!! Where is Damien???
mALX
QUOTE(D.Foxy @ Nov 2 2010, 09:57 AM) *

It is chapter 69!!! Where is Damien???

Sneakers made his debut a couple chapters back...Uriel and some monkeyshines bumped Damien just a tad, but I'll send you the script for approval, lol. Er, I sent you a PM asking if ... I'll send another, because your answer will alter the segment a bit.
Acadian
mALX, this was fascinating! What a wonderfully intricate and highly developed study of vampires you have created. It all makes wonderful sense now.

As far as your writing, my goodness, talk about using dialoge to its fullest! Not a bit of action (except to support the dialogue), nor a bit of story narration. Pure dialogue. Magnificent! I couldn't stop reading. Every time I came to one of your **** breaks, I was hoping you were not going to shift scenes away from the J brothers. I'm so glad you devoted a whole story to this wonderful conversatation!

Another one of your very best! salute.gif
treydog
With so much intrigue swirling around one small white Khajiit, it’s amazing she has not died several times over already!

Your delving into the culture and hierarchy of the vampires of Cyrodiil is a fascinating bit of creativity. It is also one of those face-palm moments- of course they would know about each other- now that you have pointed it out. Predators are always aware of other predators in their territory- especially those of the same species. Because those others are not only competition- they can also be the greatest danger.

The depth and darkness shows the degree to which your writing has matured- and yet there are still the moments of mALX humor which we all love:

Cf: “Countess Tig Ol Bitties” and “Countess Bags O’ Fun”

Then there is Janus’ plan to pick up women while wearing a cowl… Yeah, good luck with that. ‘Course, it sort of worked for the Phantom of the Opera.
Destri Melarg
I know how much you love comedic farce in your work, but you may be at your very best when you write about vampires. Imbel’s seduction of Hassildor was brilliantly subtle and wonderfully revealed.

This fascinating vampire subculture that you have created is worth exploring in an all new thread! You have Hassildor’s guilt and reluctance to expose his true nature. Imbel’s subtle machinations and underground farming techniques. Vicente is navigating the thin line of tolerance that his womanizing must strain with the Five Tenents of the Dark Brotherhood. And Seridur manipulates the Order of the Virtuous Blood to strike out at any who would threaten him. You have some brilliant possibilities here! (oops, sorry for recapping again)
mALX
@ Remko - Thank you so much Remko!! So good to see you back on here!!!

@ Foxy - Thank you so much Foxy - and here he is !!!!!

@ Acadian - You ROCK !!!! Thank you so very much Acadian !!!!! That has to be the most awesome comment you've ever left me, I may frame it !!!!! WOO HOO !!!!!! I appreciate that so much !!!

@ Treydog - Thank you so very much Treydog!!! I appreciate that so much !!! I had the same idea you did, they are predators...hunters. There had to be a hierarchy and awareness of each other. I think I learned that watching "The Lion King" or something, ROFL !!! Thanks again Treydog !!!

@ Destri - Thank you so much Destri !!! I came to like Jakben in writing his part. He didn't take over the keyboard, but his personality came across as the typing went on. He may be a vampire, a rogue...but I liked him. In game he is overly meek till he attacks, and then his powers are in your face. Very controlled and cunning. I was trying to get that across, especially in this upcoming chapter. Thanks again Destri !!!!! You ROCK !!!!
mALX

Foxy has graciously agreed to co-write this chapter, employing his character Damien "Foxy" Reynard to assist Maxical. Foxy has written or approved all the parts for Damien Reynard and his agent Sneakers. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have writing it.

Chapter 70: Jakben and Seridur

******* Jakben Imbel

“Oh, it’s you.” Seridur gapped the door.

Jakben eased in, nodding his head at Seridur‘s bodyguard. “Cylben.”

The bodyguard gave no indication he’d heard by even a flicker of change in his remote expression.

Seridur signaled Jakben to silence. “The hunters are in the basement.” He whispered, then pointed to the ceiling.

Jakben moved silently up the steps. Seridur followed, signaling his body guard.

“Cylben, make sure we aren’t disturbed...or overheard.”

Cylben positioned himself at the bottom of the stairs, planting his feet as if ready for battle.

“What have you done about that witness that saw you kill the girl?” Jakben poured himself a glass of wine and settled into a chair.

“Roland Jenseric? He’s disappeared, left the city. I told the guards I witnessed him turn into a vampire and attack the girl. They’ll kill him on sight if he returns. Everything was under control, then that idiot Gilen…and you can be assured he’ll die for this…requested help from some hero-type to search for him! Now I‘ll have to kill the hero, and can‘t do that here in the city!”

“A hero! Is he a vampire hunter?”

“He killed a few feral vampires, got a reward and a swelled up sense of his own importance from it. Do-gooder!” Seridur sneered before continuing.

“Now, tell me. Were you able to get the young chub to feed?”

“No, not a drop. He said the thought churns his stomach.”

“Drat! I was hoping we could weaken his power with the feeding.”

“That’s what I hoped as well. “ Jakben’s voice held a distracted note.

“What’s eating you, Imbel? We’ve got to strike while these crowds are here, we may never get another chance like this! I’ve never seen the guards so distracted and lax!“

“What’s eating me is something his mind neglected to blab on his trip in; this girl is his chosen.”

“His chosen! Are you sure?”

“Positive. It’s writ’ all over him. He denied it first, then admitted Hal-Liurz saw it in her Hist tea grounds.”

“Drat! This is getting too risky. What about his powers, did you get a read on them?”

“His arsenal dwarfs anything I‘ve ever come across. His power has to be tremendous not feeding in fifty years. From something he said about the girl smelling his aura, his testosterone levels must be through the roof. He’s powerful alright, and there’s no telling how fast his vampire moves. Worse, he has no control over his nature. He will be extremely dangerous when riled, may as well sign your own death warrant.“

“Well…I’m out then. You do what you want.”

“Swear it if you’re serious, Seridur. I don’t want to take all the risks only to find the Legion or your vampire hunters at my door because you think I’ve stepped on your toes.”

“I only meant I won’t fight him. If you get him to bring her to you I still want a share of the blood!”

“He won’t bring her to me. He left mad at the suggestion.”

“You asked him? You idiot! Why didn’t you just control his mind?”

“Because it’s his chosen. That vampire is going to come out to protect her, and I don’t like those kind of surprises. I would have otherwise.” Jakben shifted uncomfortably.

“You’re too honest, Imbel. It makes you soft, and is quite irritating at times like this.“

“Honest! Hardly.” Jakben snorted, staring unseeing down into his wine glass.

“Don’t tell me you genuinely liked the lad!”

“He was…tolerable. It has naught to do with the lad, just…“

“What? Not your aversion to taking another‘s chosen because you lost yours?” Seridur’s lip curled disdainfully.

Not even a flicker of an eye gave away the rage that surged through Jakben at Seridur’s tone and words…one day, but not today…

“No…it was seeing him following his chosen. It brought memories. Nothing compares to the feel of that hunt. It brings out everything within you, powers you never knew you had…you are a god staking claim on her, bringing her to your lair. I’ve never even thought of replacing my chosen before, what we had together could never be matched. But…I don’t know, maybe it’s time to let go my grief…let my nature choose another for me.”

“It‘s all romantic drivel if you ask me. I‘m perfectly fine, and I’ve never had a chosen.” Seridur spat in disgust.

Jakben’s mouth quirked, but he said nothing.

“We still have a chance if he finds that voluptuous bride he’s seeking and goes back to Skingrad.” Seridur stressed the word ‘voluptuous’ sarcastically.

“Are you forgetting Vicente is in town?”

“Vicente! When did he get here?”

“Feeding on that girl you killed has sapped your powers, Seridur. He arrived early this morning. I’m interested to see what young Hassildor does when Vicente poaches.”

“I can‘t fight Vicente, I‘ve fed! You’ll have to stop him from killing her before we‘ve had a taste of it.”

Jakben sneered inwardly at Seridur’s cowardice, but kept it from his voice when he answered. “I hope I‘m able. He uses chameleon and illusion.”

“That’s right.” Seridur nodded. “What about the mage Hassildor has in his powers, did you find out who it is so we can move on him?”

“No, not yet.” Jakben lied, then changed the subject. “Oh, hey! I had another break-in right before the lad showed up.”

“What is it they’re after?”

“I haven’t found out…yet. The guards said that last one was a known petty thief with a long arrest record. Someone‘s behind it, sending them. None of them have been Skooma addicts.“

******* Damien “Foxy” Reynard

Damien held the dossier up and waved it gently, not looking up till it was grasped and removed from his hand.

“How should I play it, Foxy? Eyja asked as she scanned the file.

“Ocato won’t want someone smart enough to figure out his own plans…but will seek someone bright enough to infiltrate the Mythic Dawn and discern what Mankar Camoran is up to. Do not try seduction on Ocato. His weakness is in one who worships him. Play it mildly businesslike, a little naïve…heavy on the praise. Read Ocato’s dossier fully through before infiltrating the Battlemages, I‘m sure you‘ll find an angle.”

Eyja was flipping through Ocato’s file with her eyebrows raised. “I see, I lack the proper equipment. How can I be sure he’ll choose me then?”

“Eyja, if anyone can play the line between bright and naïve it is you.”

“And we’re giving him a doctored report of my findings?”

“Which I will provide you with when you return with the genuine information.”

“Infiltrating the Mythic Dawn should be an easy task, but…how close will you want me to Mankar Camoran, Foxy?”

“His dossier is right here.” Damien held up another file. “He will be easier to get close to than Ocato. You will find Camoran is not averse to a pretty face…you will have no problems there.” Damien’s usually stern mouth flitted a brief, ironic smile framed by the full mask of black velvet.

Eyja grinned back. “Foxy, you old flatterer! What‘s the breakdown on Camoran?”

“He is intrigued by brains as well as beauty, but keep in mind…he is cunning, cautious. He did not gain his position of power without a great deal of intelligence. Be very careful in your seduction. Make him chase you, and don‘t be easily caught.”

“That role has always been my favorite, and I am very good at it…if I do say so myself.”

Damien gave another quirky smile. “Haven’t I been telling you these many years, the student has surpassed the master?”

“Any more compliments and my head will swell so big Ocato won’t choose me!” Eyja flashed her tom-boyish grin. “What about Hassildor, will Sneakers be taking over the surveillance on him while I’m gone?”

“No, I need him to stick close to Ocato. I’ll put another agent on Hassildor. You say he is at Jakben Imbel’s?”

“Yes, here is my updated report on that.”

Eyja paused when a cadenced knock sounded on the heavy oak door. She glanced quickly at Damien, her brows raised. “Isn’t that the code for the man watching Vicente?”

Damien nodded and gave her a signal. Eyja grabbed the files she was to review and slid silently into the connecting room.

The agent stepped into the room quickly, hurrying forward to Damien’s desk. Damien raised his hand without lifting his head as he flipped through files in his desk drawer. The agent came to a grinding halt and stood silently, waiting for a signal. Damien pulled a file from the drawer and opened it, scribbled something on the parchment inside; his hand still raised. Finally he pointed his finger at the agent.

“Go.”

“Boss, I thought you should know. The entire sanctuary of the Dark Brotherhood is here for the music festival.”

“Including Vicente?”

“Including Vicente. I didn’t have orders, but when I saw the mass exodus I thought it best to follow. They are staying at the Merchants, in one suite.”

Damien held his hand out without reaching, and the agent leaned forward and dropped his report into it.

“Get back there. Don’t lose him for a second in this city.”

“I won’t Boss…er…”

“Yes?”

“I don’t know if this means anything, but I saw several other men in cowls and cloaks as we were coming through the city.”

Damien gave him a blank parchment. “I want details. Approximate heights and weights, their demeanor if you caught it, and where you saw each. Take it across the hall into the last room on the left.”

Damien waited till the agent left, then made a discreet sound. Eyja slid back into the room, handing Damien the files.

“One of them is Hassildor, another could be that Orc. It’s in my report, Foxy…I think he was made into a vampire in Anvil.”

“I agree. Get to the Palace as quickly as possible, I need to finish reviewing the report from Sneakers.”

“The part about the white Khajiit? That‘s Alix‘s daughter, isn‘t it?”

Damien nodded, giving her a signal to begin her mission. As soon as Eyja slid silently out, Damien moved quickly from his desk to the window. He gapped the curtains and waited, counting off the seconds he knew it would take before she would appear. She was precise…as always. Eyja turned when she reached the middle of the quad and blew a kiss to the window, grinning. Damien’s responding laugh hung heavy in the empty room. Eyja had grown to be so like her sister…how proud Cytherea would be of her.

The agent tapped his identifying code on the door and slid back into the room.

“Here‘s the report on those other cowled men, Boss.”

“I need you back with Vicente, your mission is to not let him out of your sight and keep me informed of his movements. Do you know all our contacts in this city?”

“Most.”

“Any of them you cross paths with between here and the Merchants, give them the signal to tell the others. I want everyone in for a briefing immediately.”

When the agent left, Damien leaned back in his chair for a minute pressing his hands together. He counted quietly to himself and then gapped the curtain behind him, verifying the agent was taking the most direct route to the Market District . He nodded to himself, then began drawing grids of the city and orders for the briefings.

As he worked, Damien’s mind pored over each bit of information that had come in; all the possible scenarios that could evolve from each item.

Vicente probably came for the music festival…but that didn‘t mean he was benign. No doubt Hassildor was here over Maxical…Eyja said Janus left immediately after Fathis Aren exited with Maxical. Why had Fathis brought Maxical to the castle? That was out of character. Hassildor could have Fathis under a spell…

Damien pulled the file for Fathis Aren out, scanning it briefly. The man was too smart, he would not have brought Maxical to Hassildor. He was definitely under spell. Damien made several notes on Fathis’s and Janus’s files, then rapped on his desk.

A slight figure gapped the heavy oak door and slid in, latching it behind her.

“Get me Arch Mage Traven.”

Acadian
Oooh! This is like a master spy thriller! So much intrique and plotting and subversion! Look at all those vampires Maxical has wrapped around her tasty virginal tail! mALX, the Mistress of Plotweaving is hard at work! And it is always a pleasure to see our favorite spymaster! Oooh! - and Eyja! So far, I'm keep up just fine, I think. tongue.gif

Some maybe nits?
“I won’t Boss…er…”
“Here‘s the report on those other cowled men, boss
I would decide if you want boss or Boss and be consistent. I would go with Boss.

Eyja paused when a cadenced knock sounded on the heavy oak door.
A cadenced knock on the door sounded, and the agent slid back into the room.
To me, this is such a wonderfully memorable description, that to repeat it within the same story almost made me go back to see if you had repeated the same paragraph twice. Even more so when I read the lines below:

He counted quietly to himself and then gapped the curtain behind him, watching her
Damien counted quietly, then gapped the curtain, verifying the agent
Same as above. Even if you want to make 'cadenced knocking' a trademark of Sneakers, and 'counting then gapping his curtain' a trademark of Foxy, these actions are too cool and distintive to repeat in the same story in my humble opinion.
treydog
The interaction between Jakben and Seridur was appropriately creepy, and continues to add to our knowledge of vampire lore. You also manage to quite effectively illustrate their personalities almost entirely through dialogue and Jakben’s thoughts.

And we also see the return of someone who will have a great influence on Maxical’s future- and whose life is about to become a lot more… interesting… as a result.
Zalphon
Malx....in life there are a lot of types of people. Stop being the intriguing one that we're all jealous of!
Destri Melarg
The allusions to quests we are all familiar with really made the entire scene between Jackben and Seridur come alive. I am still trying to decide whether all this fuss over the white khajiit is because she is a virgin or because she is Hassildor’s chosen. Either way Maxical finds herself unwittingly in the eye of the hurricane swirling all around her.

Damien’s reappearance was well worth the wait. I am so glad that he brought Eyja back with him, and I am even more glad that she addressed the hygiene problems that afflicted her the last time our paths crossed. Camoran and Ocato have NO IDEA what’s about to hit them!
mALX
@ Acadian - Thank you so much, especially for the nits! I like it much better since fixing them! - (tasty virginal tail? = SPEW! - said while hawking up furball) ROFL !!!! Thank you so much Acadian, you are so appreciated !!

@ Treydog - Thank you so much Treydog!! It means a lot to hear from you that their personalities came across!!! I know Jak is supposed to be evil, but drattit, I can't help but like him, lol. Thanks again Treydog, you are always appreciated !!!!

@ Zalphon - Thank you so much Zalphon !!! ROFL - although I doubt anyone is jealous, ROFL !!!

@ Destri - Thank you, thank you Destri !!!! I think it's a combination of both depending on which vamp you are referring to, ROFL !!! Thank you so much, you are always appreciated !!!

mALX

Chapter 71: Darker Darkness, Lighter Light

******* Janus

It was dark, still hours before the music festival would begin when Janus left Imbel‘s mansion. He hurried over to the arboretum to find an area that would provide shade when the sun rose. One corner provided plenty; bushes, trees, and a canopy stretched across to a decorative arch.

Janus chose a bench under the canopy to wait, grateful for the quiet and night air to sort through the events of the past few days. Imbel had been controlling him without him even realizing it. Those evenings he planned to go out and check out women had all been spent in conversation with Imbel instead. Wasted time he could have been selecting his bride. There had to be a way to block that mind control…but probably not without letting the vampire out.

As the crowds began to filter in, Janus began scanning them for likely candidates. Imbel was right, it was awkward after fifty years, suddenly approaching strange women to flirt…and in a cowl. His position as Count…this would have been so easy if he wasn’t a vampire. Now, approaching strangers and beginning a flirtation was suddenly an overwhelming prospect.

There was a delicate line between what is pleasing or over the line when you are lurking in bushes, covered in a dark cowl, and hitting on women you‘ve never met. Women obviously did not feel safe coming near him, they were walking in a wide arc around his vicinity. Being approached…even just saying good morning nearly got him slapped.

“Get out of here, creep!”

“Sorry, I thought you were a friend of mine.”

The only way to perk their interest with this dratted cowl would be to make sure they saw his signet ring denoting him as a Count.

“Here, let me help you with that.” He reached out the hand with the signet ring in plain view.

“Get lost before I call the guards pervert!”

This was not working.

“I’m here incognito…” He displayed his ring.

“Sicko freak! Guards!”

Janus scurried away, darting to keep in the shade.

“I’m a mage…” Janus showed the ring.

“You want to see some magic? Watch how fast the guards get here when I yell…”

“I’m a member of a deep religious order. We don cowls and capes as a symbol of…” Janus held his hand with the ring out.

“Cram it psycho loser, I gave at the office.“

Janus moved around till he saw a girl that looked to be in her twenties dancing in front of a band that was playing.”

“This band is very good…” He called, holding the hand with the ring up alongside his cowl in an assumed natural pose.

“Leave me alone weirdo, before I call my parents!”

This was not working. He was going to have to take Maxical now and come back…wait! There was a pretty blonde girl smiling and signaling him over!

“I’ve got a place nearby, fifty Septims for a little action… I’ll charge you less if you take the cowl off, it gives me the creeps…”

******* Maxical

The first day of the music festival was destined to be a perfect day. The early morning sun was surprisingly warm for this time of year and the azure sky promised it would remain beautiful.

There was a balance in me again, that limbo of indecision and feeling of hanging in a pending state was gone. Whatever I had to do for Akatosh, I’d have three years with Gils first.

The Courier arrived early, Hassiri had printed a retraction. He interviewed Tony, who now countered the suggestion that I stalked him and explained the one monkey’s unusual attachment to me.

The monkeys were captured as babies in round-ups. Normally, mothers of the young apes were left behind in Akavir. This particular monkey was extremely young and would not have been taken. They captured the mother because she was albino and would bring a lot of interest. She died recently, and they had no other mothers to care for that baby. It had immediately attached itself to me because of my white fur.

Tony went on to explain that monkeys in general will imitate anyone, and that is why they copied my actions in the Arena. I hoped that would end my run as ’Ape Woman’.

We left extra early that morning to avoid the crowds, but the Market District was overrun with people already.

“Owyn, I’m going to Fathis’s suite to talk to him until you need me.”

“Like I didn’t know that was coming.” Owyn jabbed me in the ribs like he was conspiring with me.

“Remember, come get me before contracts are signed so I can get Hassiri to cover it.”

As soon as we stepped in the door of the Merchants I heard my name called and turned my head towards the sound, scanning the packed restaurant area for someone that knew me.

“Hannibal!” I started towards him when someone stepped out from behind him. “Alix!” I nearly knocked Hannibal down pushing by him and threw myself into Alix’s arms crying.

“You two go on to Fathis’s suite, we’ll come get you when everything is set up.“ Jack waved me on.

“I’ve missed you so much Alix…I’m sorry I ran away from home.” I squeaked out through Alix squeezing me.

“I don’t care what we disagree on, don’t ever leave us like that again, not like that. Not mad. Maxical, have you been sick? You have dark circles under your eyes, have you not been sleeping?”

“Not well…I’ve been stressed.”

Alix stopped walking, glancing around to ensure we were private. “You want to tell me about it?”

“It’s too involved. It begins with Akatosh and the Emperor and ends with Fathis. I‘ll tell you…later.”

“Akatosh!” Alix looked stunned…then worried when I nodded. “Do you want to go somewhere and talk now?”

“I can’t let myself think about it right now, the promotion is this afternoon and I have to stay focused on it. Hannibal’s band could suffer if I mess up my part. I have to work all night tonight hanging billboards, I can‘t tell you any more about that yet either. We can talk tomorrow…there’s a lot I have to tell you, some of it you won‘t like.”

“Best tell me first before breaking it to S’Jirra then.”

“I agree.”

Alix held me tight for a minute, then led me up the thickly carpeted stairs to the suites. He opened the door to a huge suite, and immediately a squeal sounded. S’Jirra barreled out almost knocking me down, then squeezed me like a boa constrictor.

Alix and S’Jirra filled me in on everything that had happened since I ran away, although several times we had to shout to hear ourselves over the noise of the band coming from Hannibal’s suite down the hall.

My instincts of one leopard to the actions of another were suddenly alert. S’Jirra’s mood changed from her normal to…assumed stealth…hunting information…detective. Oh no! She was going to try and pry into my private life!

The look on her face was forced innocence mixed with guile, plotting. Her movements were too staged as she reached for…a scrapbook? I saw Alix signaling her no. She ignored him. Oh no.

“This is all the Couriers that mention you, even the bad ones.” She opened it to the ‘Confessions of the Grand Champion’ right away…she had planned this.

“Look, my bad temper made front page news!” I pointed at it laughing, feeling the tension emanating from her as she honed in on one section instantly…how often she must have rehearsed this!

“I knew that would happen.” Alix grinned, quickly covering his signal to S’Jirra by pushing his hair back from his face when he saw me glance over at him.

Glancing around for some way to diffuse S’Jirra I suddenly noticed that I hadn’t seen Fathis yet.

“Where is Fathis? Still abed?”

“He was gone when we got up.” S’Jirra answered abruptly, obviously not wanting distraction from her purpose.

“Gone! Why would he leave early knowing I was coming?” All thoughts of S’Jirra’s plotting left me, replaced by a flash of hot anger.

My face settled into a scowl. S’Jirra glanced worriedly at Alix, momentarily bumped out of her role as detective.

“He probably thought we’d want time alone with you.“ Alix’s look was apologetic as S’Jirra resurrected her investigation, pulling on my arm and indicating the place in the “Confessions” article that said I was sleeping with Gils. Oh no.

I pretended not to notice, flipping pages of the scrapbook over her hand till I found the ‘Ape Woman’ Courier from yesterday. When I held the scrapbook up to show it to Alix, S’Jirra’s hand was effectively removed.

“Were you at this match when the monkeys escaped, Alix?”

S’Jirra gave an obvious glance at Alix. She may as well have held up a billboard tagging him to take over because she had failed in her mission.

Alix pulled me into his lap and squeezed me. “You should know I‘d be at every fight, Ape Woman! I bought S‘Jirra a stuffed monkey, too. She paraded around the booths with it hanging around her neck all day yesterday.“

“You were here yesterday? I was at the booths too…with Fathis. I didn’t see S’Jirra.”

How different last night would have gone if I had known they were here. I would have told Fathis to stuff his ceremony and spent the evening with my parents. Why didn’t he mention they were in town?

Out of the corner of my eye I saw S’Jirra, her arms flailing wildly like a flagman on a bridge, obviously trying to signal Alix. She had failed in her mission and was passing the baton of prying to Alix for him to do it. I was safe at last, Alix doesn’t like to get in the middle of these things. I relaxed, snuggling back against Alix as I hadn’t done since a child.

“Oh, were you there too, S’Jirra? That‘s a real good imitation of how the monkeys were acting...”

Alix snorted, and I felt him shaking his head no behind me. Good, he was refusing to help her.

S’Jirra stomped over, obviously resuming control of the interrogation. She squeezed in next to Alix and stuck the scrapbook in my face, pointing to the blurb about Gils and I being engaged. Her fingernail nearly cut an arc in the Courier below the part that described the 18,000 Septim ring I gave him.

Pretending not to notice is hard when something is shoved inches from your face. I nearly mashed my nose on the scrapbook turning around to face Alix…just in time to see him signaling refusal to help her. I hugged him and whispered in his ear, “Thank you Alix.”

S’Jirra was fuming. She schooled a look on her face that was so innocent it looked scheming as she nonchalantly brushed my bangs aside…obviously checking to see if my blue show was still blue.

“If I had known you would look I would have covered it in purple eye powder to fool you.”

Alix snorted, and S’Jirra looked like her head may pop off and blow around the room.

“S’Jirra…please? You’ve seen the proof I’m still intact, now can we just enjoy our visit together?”

ureniashtram

There was a delicate line between what is pleasing or over the line when you are lurking in bushes, covered in a dark cowl, and hitting on women you‘ve never met. Women obviously did not feel safe even coming near him. Being approached…even just saying good morning nearly got him slapped.

“Get out of here, creep!”

“Sorry, I thought you were a friend of mine.”

The only way to perk their interest with this dratted cowl would be to make sure they saw his signet ring denoting him as a Count.

“Here, let me help you with that.” He reached out the hand with the signet ring in plain view.

“Get lost before I call the guards pervert!”

This was not working.

“I’m here incognito…” He displayed his ring.

“Sicko freak! Guards!”

Janus scurried away, darting to keep in the shade.

“I’m a mage…” Janus showed the ring.

“You want to see some magic? Watch how fast the guards get here when I yell…”

“I’m a member of a deep religious order. We don cowls and capes as a symbol of…” Janus held his hand with the ring out.

“Cram it psycho loser, I gave at the office.“

Janus moved around till he saw a girl that looked to be in her twenties dancing in front of a band that was playing.”

“This band is very good…” He called, holding the hand with the ring up alongside his cowl in an assumed natural pose.

“Leave me alone weirdo, before I call my parents!”

This was not working. He was going to have to take Maxical now and come back…wait! There was a pretty blonde girl smiling and signaling him over!

“I’ve got a place nearby, fifty Septims for a little action… I’ll charge you less if you take the cowl off, it gives me the creeps…”

You, my dear mALX, had me falling on me butt, holding my stomach in pain and making such a ruckus with my laughter, that I'd bet you'd hear it all the way from Asia. Even now as I'm writing this, I'm struggling...

Ha!

(suddenly turns serious)

Some words must be said, dear Resident Kitty. . .

Hassildor's situation is sadder than a sob story! (doubles over in hysterical laughter)
D.Foxy
Well, at least Anus (ooops) Janus the "pervert" doesn't do experiments involving rotting fish, a clipboard, a parked truck, and hookers paid twice the going rate just to get sniffed...

whistling.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.