Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A New Sun Rises - Maxical's Adventures
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
Burnt Sierra
I was beginning to think I would never utter this phrase:

I'M UP TO DATE!!

My emotions are all over the place - not entirely surprising after such a roller coaster - I have had moments where I have literally laughed out loud, moments where I wanted to shout at the page to warn them, and through it all - through all the twists and turns, ups and downs - I have been enthralled, delighting in the company of our heroine.

I'm not exaggerating, I actually feel drained right now. Amazing story mALX, and when my emotions (and nerves) have recovered, I look forward with gleeful anticipation of what comes next. cake.gif

mALX

@ Elisabeth Hollow - Thank you so much Liz! I was worried my hint about Fathis was too subtle, lol. Thanks Liz!

@ King Of Beasts - Thank you so much Kobby! No, Malan wants Maxical dead and hoped Amiela would do it since the nature stopped him from killing her. Fathis's soul inside Malan was momentarily strong enough to overcome Malan and take over to save Maxical (which is why Malan/Jak looked fearful afterward). Thanks again Kobby!

@ Acadian - Thank you so very much Acadian! Maxical didn't realize, just saw the similarity in the handsome stranger's ability and the look he gave her. She hasn't connected him to Malan yet, or may have realized it was Fathis. Oh, thank you so much for your kind words about Uriel's Champion! That meant a lot to hear!

@ Ghastley - Thank you so much Ghastley! ROFL !!! Now THAT would be something else, lol. I don't think they can communicate with each other inside him, unfortunately. Thank you so much again, Ghastley!

@ Grits - Thank you so very much Grits! Your kind words about Maxical meant so much to hear, thank you so much Grits!

@ McBadgere - Thank you so much McB! ROFL !!! Maxical and Amiela on Jerry Springer, SPEW !!! Thanks McB!

@ Darkness Eternal - Thank you so very much DE! ROFL !! No, she just hit the wrong spell in the panic of the moment, lol. Thank you so much for your kind words DE!

@ Burnt Sierra - Thank you so very much Burnt! WOO HOO! I so appreciate hearing that, it means tons to me that you liked it! Thank you so much again!

mALX

Chapter 201: A Threat By Any Other Name

There is no little shiver down your spine when facing someone of Malan’s caliber, I’ve never been so terrified. Adrenalin was pounding through me, and my blood felt like jelly in my veins waiting for Malan to show himself and attack me.

The only explanation I could imagine for him staying behind when Amiela was hauled away would be to eliminate my interference in his plots. I darted behind Janus, keeping my back pressed to the wall and clutching his coat so he couldn't move from in front of me.

A terrifying vision of Malan dragging me to his dungeon had been haunting me ever since he learned he couldn't kill me. I was his enemy now, he'd take my soul. There was nothing more horrible I could imagine than that, being killed would be easier. I'd faced death every match in the Arena.

Uriel was right, the only way to keep Malan out of the Royal Quarters would be to set up another ancient's lair there. Otherwise he could just slip in as a vapor and plant another Recall marker. He could have Amiela in there in seconds at any given moment no matter whose body she was in if we couldn't keep him out of there.

"Among our kind, bringing her into your lair is as low as one can get. Even a dog knows not to soil its own bed." Janus was mad at Malan instead of me for a change, I encouraged him in it.

"At least he removed his guard from her this time. Last time I slept unguarded while she had a full platoon at her door."

Janus turned around, facing me with an incredulous expression. “Are you saying he guarded her as if she was his chosen and didn’t place one around you? He has a whole army at his disposal, why wouldn't he guard you? That is an insult, Maxical!”

“It's a blatant insult." I nodded, then started speaking loudly since the rank odor of cow manure was suddenly lingering strongly in the corridor. "Any idiot would have had the sense to keep up a show of pretence if I was integral to their plans. This is why Malan's plots always fail, he's dumber than me. Even Puny Ancus could out romance him."

"He's trying to relive his past with her."

“He IS his past, it’s called being stuck in a rut. All Malan's plots were made centuries ago, they're just old stale plans now. It's like his brain atrophied, like those old senile geriatrics that gripe about change."

Janus started chuckling, then broke out laughing.

"It's the truth, he used the same ploys to flirt with me that he picked Amiela up with over three centuries ago. Like he couldn't think up anything new in all that time?"

"You're jok..." Janus broke off what he was saying and looked around sniffing. The odor of cow manure gusted strongly in my nostrils, it was permeating the air around us. I raised my voice louder.

"He's fishing without bait, if all he has to offer is being a puppet for his decrepit dead marriage. Only old beggars like Ragbag Buntara who have nothing to lose would be interested." I broke off to whack Janus's back before he choked himself laughing, then continued in an even louder voice.

"Malan stole my mysteries for nothing, Amiela's never going to let him have more pleasure with her bodybag than she gave him when she was alive. You think I'm kidding?"

Now would be a good time to subtly steer the conversation around to saving Fathis, while Janus was in charity with me and relaxed. I opened my mouth, but Janus stopped me with a finger to his lips. He leaned into my ear and whispered a warning.

"Shh, why are you talking so loud? You'd better hush in case Malan is here."

"In case he's here? Don't you smell that cow manure?"

"I thought that was you."

"ME! Why would I smell like manure? Didn't you hear me warning you that I smelled Malan?"

"I thought you meant his aura, like you smelled mine that day at the Arena. Maxical, by your own admission you buried that ring in cow manure."

"Not with my hands! What, you assumed I fell in it or something? I'm not clumsy!"

"If you say so." He may as well have rolled his eyes.

"I can dunk a ring without falling in, Janus! And don't you think I'd have bathed if I did?" I sniffed my arm, then shoved it in his face.

"SMELL ME! Do I smell like manure? Aren't you vampires supposed to have superior scenting ability?"

"Don't get into a snit now, we were finally getting along."

"I'm NOT in a snit!" I fumed, unclenching my fists and hoping he hadn't noticed them.

"If it was me, I'd give you a sound thrashing."

He'd never rescue Fathis for me at this rate. I choked back the rage his last words roused, trying to think. I needed to reach the gentleman he was that night at the Temple of the One. I put my hand on Janus's arm and looked up into his cowl, pleading with my eyes and voice.

“You don’t begin to know the half of what harm he’s done to me, Janus. Before he took me Malan used my virgin blood to coerce some male prisoner, then mated with him right in front of me."

Janus smothered a flash of thought before I could read it in his eyes. He averted his face, his lips pinned tightly together. It was almost a full minute before he spoke. "If he wasn’t so powerful his own kind would kill him for that."

It was the opening I needed. I tugged his arm, turning him back toward me. "Fathis would kill him in a heartbeat for what he’s done to me. I want my husband back, Janus."

An instant guardedness flickered in Janus's eyes and he all but changed the subject, averting his eyes from mine again.

"It's too late for regrets now, Maxical. You should have thought of that before becoming his chosen this morning. When were you going to tell me about that, did you forget we share a nature?"

"Is that why you've been so mad at me? Janus, your nature did that, I couldn't stop it. Whatever Malan was plotting for me, it knew and did that to protect me."

"Protecting you against him? It won't do that, Maxical."

"It did, Janus. Don't forget, it is your nature too, and whether you admit it or not I'm your accepted chosen. It took our side against Malan, and now he knows that the nature will take him down for us if you and I ever join forces against him. We could crush him, Janus."

"Maybe we could have before, but you and Malan have a union now. The nature will turn your heart to Malan if it hasn't already."

"It can't, Janus. It never could. Malan was plotting for Amiela the whole time we were together. The nature had to protect me, it considers me the sacred chosen. It turned my heart toward itself instead of Malan."

"That was before you had a full union with him, now..." I stopped him, tugging him back around so he could see the truth in my eyes.

"No, Janus. Malan ended it with me immediately afterward, and without ever mating me again. The nature won't let my heart be turned toward him without him being committed to me and staying by my side. Isn't that why you vampires are always holing up in your lairs with your chosen for weeks in the beginning?"

Janus nodded slowly and started to answer, but as he was speaking his voice changed to raw with anger.

"It is what we look most forward to in taking a chosen, our honeymoon period. At the end the love is a bond that not even death can break. He could have used anyone for this! To poach from me, then treat you this way!"

A month ago I'd have been naive enough to believe Janus was defending me. This was about himself, I was a possession he'd lost by Malan's poaching. It was a strong reminder to me that if it wasn't for Janus's spells on Fathis none of this would be happening.

Not for the first time I realized Janus was no better than Malan. They both took for their own gain, with no consideration for the lives they destroyed. My happiness wouldn't factor with Janus anymore than it did with Malan.

Fear that Janus wouldn't honor his vow to save Fathis was building in me like a rage till I thought I would explode from it, I tried forcibly to choke it back, but couldn't. My breathing was ragged and whatever I meant to say blanked from my mind. Instead I heard my voice blurting Uriel's plans so loudly it echoed up the corridor all the way to Ocato's room.

"Uriel sent for Greywyn Blenwyth, he's to poach me and establish his lair in the Royal Quarters so Malan is blocked from them. You've got to help me, Janus. You swore a vow to bring Fathis back to me, Remember?"

Deep down inside myself I prayed that something I said would act as the catalyst in Janus, pushing him beyond the vampire to the gentleman he once was. I took his hand and looked up into his cowl so he could read what was in my eyes, how important this was to me.

"Please bring Fathis to me like you promised. Swear me as chosen over to him, please Janus. This is the only way to stop Malan, and I can't stand the thought of bedding Greywyn; or anyone but Fathis. Please keep your vow to me.”

"A lot has changed since that day, Maxical. You are fully Malan's chosen now." The stubborn set of his jaw didn't bode well.

"I won't be if you swear me over to Fathis. He's my husband, it's the only right thing to do, Janus."

"You don't understand, your lairs are considered sacred ground now that the chosen is complete."

"The dungeons can't be sacred! And you've sure been wandering around the Royal Quarters with no problems!"

"I'm there at Uriel's command. Why do you think I wouldn't enter your bedroom earlier?"

"Malan doesn't consider it sacred, he brought his dead wife into it! Instead of making a shrine to my blood, he let his prisoners taste it. Uriel is going to command you to swear me over to someone tonight, please let it be Fathis. Please keep your vow to me, Janus."

"I can't keep vows to anther ancient's chosen."

My temper boiled over. "You caused this, Janus. Now you aren't gentleman enough to rescue me from it? I thought you said you weren't like the other ancients? Tell me the difference between you and Malan, because right now I can't see any. You took Fathis from me because I would avail you, and didn't give a good [CENSORED] whether I was hurt in the process!"

My hair felt like it was on fire, I was shaking and could barely speak as my rage reached full blown. Janus was so angry that I could feel it emitting from his aura. We faced off, both of us breathing like we'd run miles. I jammed my finger into his chest fully expecting him to grow giant and not caring, actually was surprised that he didn't.

"Your spells on Fathis robbed me of the most romantic moment every girl dreams of, that memory I should have been able to treasure the rest of my life. He could have removed my virginity a hundred times over, you robbed me of that! You didn't protect me from Vicente, nor even go after him for attacking me. Amiela just tried to kill me, and your friend had to save me. Now you'll make me bed Greywyn rather than help me?"

Janus’s fumed silently.

"If you don’t help me now, I’ll know that you never will. Unlike Malan, I don't need fifty years to realize I can't count on you. In less than a month I've seen all I need to. I'm going after Fathis myself if you won't help me. You really need to pull Hal-Liurz‘s teat out of your mouth and grow up, Janus."

"Hal..." I broke in before he could begin.

"I want released as your chosen, Janus. You may have accepted me, but I don't accept you. I'd be better off relying on Vicente than you. You just be ready to swear me over. Your Diplomatic Immunity was already hanging by a thread for those spells you put on Fathis; be prepared to be removed from the program, and possibly lose your seat as Count Skingrad."

"WHY!"

“Maybe you didn’t read that Diplomatic Immunity paper you signed, Janus. It says you must act against your nature in defense of the Empire. As Count Skingrad you're sworn to protect the throne at all costs. Your vampiric actions caused this war and Fathis's imprisonment, and could send you to that eternal dungeon you fear so much. You have the access and means to rescue Fathis and refuse, against your own vow. If Malan seizes the throne you'll be considered abetting his takeover and counted a traitor to the throne with him."

If those threats didn't spur Janus to action, nothing would. I stormed back to the Royal Quarters. After Foxy's agent let me pass I slammed the bolt across and waited. Azura's seal was burning a hole in my tongue, and the smell of cow manure was gone. I breathed in relief, turning to the agent.

"No one else comes through."

King Of Beasts
Janus really isn't much better than Malan is he? I didn't think so. But there's always two sides to the coin, eh? Janus was only following his instinct, and it includes keeping fathis away from Max, but then again, like Max said, he's the reason for this whole war, right?

I suppose it's hard *to choose a side, because both Janus and Max have reasons for their actions and beliefs.

An they were getting along so well for a split second, lol.

I'm sorry, I'm ranting. Not sure what I'm trying to say other than great chapter goodjob.gif
Elisabeth Hollow
Janus sure did get a tongue-lashing from Maxical. Gawd. Maybe he'll pull his head out of his butt and go do what he PROMISED her he'd do. So what if things have changed? What happened to "ancients take promises seriously?!"

Not to mention had he NOT been so hung up on keeping Fathis from, like Maxical said, taking her virginity, none of this would have happened.

Sex solves EVERYTHING.
McBadgere
Pffft...Vampires...*Rollseyes*...

So, she learns that she can't even count (Heh) on the tame vampire...

Ne'ermind, better off without him anyways... tongue.gif ...

As ever, the depths of this story amaze me hugely...

Brilliant stuff...

Nice one!!..

*Applauds heartily*...
Acadian
Sparks always fly when Maxical and Janus get together!

Methinks Maxical should take up vampire slaying – all of them. I guess she has to go rescue Fathis herself - alone. kvleft.gif

And lurking in the background is still the existential threat to the Empire that Uriel is grooming Maxical for. I hope she doesn't have to become Mehrunes Dagon's Chosen to foil the Daedra Lord's plans. Take a number, Daedric Dude! laugh.gif

Darkness Eternal
Maxical using Janus as a shield again I see. Never gets old, does it? laugh.gif

Their little banther never gets old, either. I can picture Maxical as an old woman and Janus still himself arguing about who smells like poo.

The story did get much easier to read when you added the definition and meaning of the terms, though I understood a good deal of it.

“He IS his past, it’s called being stuck in a rut. All Malan's plots were made centuries ago, they're just old stale plans now. It's like his brain atrophied, like those old senile geriatrics that gripe about change."

Vampires eh? Same old, same old. Malan's plots seemed to be going so well that he must have developed a nescessity of using them throughout his immortality. The fact that he's forever alone and grieving makes matters worse. Poor fellow. sad.gif

Geez, now Maxical has to go and sleep with Greywyn Blenwyth of the Scars? She doesn't get a break, does she? I do echo Liz' comment. For men, sex does solve everything . . .from a certain point of view. Great chapter, mALX! cool.gif wink.gif

mALX

* Bump in case anyone missed the last chapter posted since it went up just before the writing constest results were posted.
ghastley
It's like his brain atrophied, like those old senile geriatrics that gripe about change.

Careful you don't alienate your senior readership here! tongue.gif

On second thoughts, don't worry, we won't remember reading those things anyway.
mALX

@ King Of Beasts - Thank you so much Kobby! You are right, Janus is afraid of his vampire instincts taking him further than he (as a gentleman) could stand going, but like you said too - it is his fault all this is happening, he kind of owes a solution. Thanks again Kobby!

@ Elisabeth Hollow - ("Sex solves EVERYTHING") ROFL !!! So right, lol. Eyja was right, ancient vampires consider promises as binding contracts when they are made TO them, but the ones they make are just words (like "I'm but a thought away" is, lol). Thank you so much Liz!

@ McBadgere - Thank you so much McB! Lol, you are right, they sure aren't doing her any good, lol. Thanks again McB!

@ Acadian - Thank you so much Acadian! Maxical's temper flies readily, but this is the first time in the story that she has been really deeply angry at someone. That "Slayer" idea isn't a bad one, ROFL !!! I think she'd tell Akatosh where to shove it if he expected her to become Dagon's chosen, ROFL !!!! Thank you so much again, Acadian!

@ Darkness Eternal - Thank you so much DE! You had me rolling with this comment, lol. Don't feel sorry for Malan, he has never been alone. He farmed girls, took virgins, had a longrunning affair with Countess Llathasa Indarys, paid for Eyja's services on occasion, and that is just the numbers we know of, ROFL !!! Thanks again, DE!

@ Ghastley - SPEW! I took that line from one of my own children who thought anyone over 25 was decrepit, ROFL !!! Thank you so much Ghastley!

mALX

Chapter 202: Malan's Side These Last 24 Hours

******* Malan, just after removing Amiela from Maxical

Using Maxical as a diversion had worked better than even he could have imagined. Everyone's focus was honed on her as Malan's objective; watching her for his next move.

Evangeline's movements had gone unnoticed since long before he even came to the Palace; despite she was Uriel's second in command. For weeks she had been parading through a war grounds with a clothed mouse in a pram; yet none took notice.

Uriel's rule had grown lax; he trusted his staff to be as efficient as they had always been; but well before Malan's arrival they had long since stopped earning that trust. It made taking over the Palace almost too easy. All these years of waiting, he could have just walked in and taken over from the look of things...as he was about to do now.

Evangeline's hurried marriage to the Earl of Imbel would go virtually unnocticed. In fact; after the groundwork he had laid as Sir Damien Reynard, not even Maxical would question it. On the contrary, from what he had overheard eavesdropping, she had encouraged Evangeline to seek Imbel out for love and happiness.

He would glide under their defenses unnoticed; have the Palace in his possession before anyone even realized he was there. They would all be watching for Malan's next move on the Khajiit.

To his own surprise; Malan suffered a twinge of regret at the thought of taking down Uriel Septim. His plans had never forseen any scenario that would have given him the opportunity to experience the camaraderie of being in close quarters with him this past month. Uriel had earned his respect in a way few in his lifetime had ever achieved.

The gods had numbered Uriel's days, though. In taking his soul before Dagon came Malan was actually doing a service for him. He’d feel no pain or fear, go down in glory. Malan would see to that. He pounded his chest in silent vow.

It would be with great pride he would carry Uriel's soul within him; and also the souls of all the eight reigning Emperors contained in the 'Chim-el Adabal'. They would give him more power than even Mannimarco! Just the thought sent a shudder of pleasure down his spine.

Evangeline could not have been a better choice or more fertile grounds for Amiela's soul. Where the Khajiit's (with the help of his own Nature) fought her emergence at every turn and suffocated her; Amiela was able to almost instantly take over running Evangeline!

It felt like eons had passed waiting to hold his Amiela in his arms again. This was the culmination of everything. Every plot, every plan; of numerous fortunes come and gone...all for this moment.

Three centuries ago his only focus was the throne and power for himself; but now, the giddiness he felt inside was only the thought of Amiela in his arms again. After that; just as he had promised her so many centuries ago; together they would take the throne and she could rule Tamriel.

An impatience he could barely contain burned within him waiting for the moment when she would be fully back; no barriers of another's personality to hinder their love ever again... and here she was, three years earlier than his plans had foreseen! The hunger in Malan as he pulled her into his arms had never been as great as it was at that moment!

“AAARRGHAH!" Amiela cut short his passionate kiss with an angry scream. She hurried to the looking glass and stared aghast at Evangeline’s wrinkled countenance.

"HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? WHO’S BODY IS THIS, SOMEONE'S GRANDMOTHER? YOU’D BETTER GET YOUR [CENSORED] OUT THERE AND FIND SOMETHING BETTER THAN THIS! AND NOT THAT FLEA-RIDDEN MANGY CAT, EITHER!“

“Shh, hush Lass. You’ll be heard and ruin all. Evangeline is essential to reach the throne; then you’ll see my choice for you. Rumpleteaza Goldwine, one of the great beauties of our time; and the daughter of Count Kvatch..."

Malan hesitated; then felt it best to withhold the information that Rumpleteaza was actually the half-sister by blood of the Khajiit he had just removed her from.

"Er, she is barely over twenty years and her beauty is spoken of in all the provinces! Hair the color of leaves in Autumn; skin of creamy milk...”

"IS THIS SOME TRAMP YOU'VE BEEN CHEATING ON ME WITH?" Evangeline shouted, glaring ominously.

He tugged her toward the bed. “Nae Lass! Never met her. Shhh. Come, Dagoth-Malan has waited a century to feel you again. That face is but temporary. Avoid the looking glass, and in a few days the throne will be ours. And despite the face, the body isn't bad at all...er...”

"HOW WOULD YOU KNOW? HAVE YOU BEEN WITH HER?"

"Shh, lower your voice, Lass. Of course not...er, Sir Damien has, he told everyone the details whether they wanted to hear or not."

Malan sank himself into the mating with gusto; but oddly found himself blocked from using Fathis's Mysteries suddenly. There hadn't been even a hint of the Gift Mysteries since the mating began either.

"Use the Mysteries, Lass. Dagoth-Malan's favorite is..." Malan tried to prompt her; but found his memory and knowledge of them completely blocked from all the teachings that had flowed so naturally with the Khajiit.

Evangeline had grown stiff and unyielding beneath him. She forcibly pushed him back till her icily piercing eyes met his. Malan immediately realized his error. Amiela was livid.

"WHAT FAVORITE MYSTERIES? WHO HAVE YOU BEEN WITH?"

"No one, Lass! Er...well, the virgins of course. Had to or they'd die. Remember, my bloodlust returned after you passed, Lass. But that was all. Swear to it." Malan pounded his chest half-heartedly, then tried to pull her back into his arms. She shoved him off, eyeing him suspiciously.

"OH! And gods forbid you should pass up any virgin blood! Now, WHAT did you mean by 'My FAVORITE' Mystery? Explain yourself, NOW Malan!"

"'Twas nothing, a gift I thought would bring you more pleasure. New Mysteries attached to your soul since you died, do you not feel them?"

"I have the same I've always had, those you gave me after our marriage! WHY would I want others? And if YOU wanted them, they probably only avail your pleasure! Now WHO have you been with, Malan? Does this have to do with that nasty cat?"

Malan eyed her bleakly. "A Khajiit? Never! Er, ladies time is it?"

"YOU WISH!" She snapped, starting to get up.

"Er, will you er...just spit me juices into my mouth and blow on them then? It's er...something Hassildor mentioned."

"PATOOEY!" "WHOOOSH!"

"I meant with a kiss...er, never mind."

Oddly, the 'Kiss of Fire' she gave was lacking something, too; but other than the use of the Mysteries while giving the kiss, Malan didn't know of anything Maxical did differently. There must be something; but what?

Malan eased off Evangeline, his face a mask of sour disappointment and rage. Something had gone wrong.

Malan paced repeatedly across the small confines of Evangeline's suite. Too much planning had gone into Amiela having those Mysteries. They worked fine with that damn Khajiit; so why were they not working now, with his beloved Amiela?

Mannimarco had assured him that the Mysteries would be sealed to and transfer with the dominant soul; which would obviously be Amiela's. Where were his Mysteries?

Fathis was an Arbiter of Dunmer Law; Azura probably protected these with much more stringent standards; and since Maxical still lived, they could be locked for use with any soul but hers.

But that didn't explain why Amiela had not inherited Gils' Mysteries on his death as planned. They should have been hers to use freely now. Was it possible the Khajiit still had them? There was only one way to find out, and one solution if she did. Amiela would need to carry the Khajiit's soul within her; while he carried Fathis's and Gils'.

Malan blanched. Amiela would never in a million Eras agree to it; she was still raging at having found herself in the Khajiit's body when he awakened her. If Movarth Piquine wasn't already dead, he had no doubt Amiela would have killed him for the insult of that hiding place he chose for her; the child of Khajiit slaves.

No, it would have to be done without her knowledge. But his Nature inside Maxical would never let him be the one to take her soul; Mannimarco would have to do that for him.

Getting Maxical into his dungeon was going to be a problem, too. After his public display of interest in Maxical, the focus on her was too great to put her under any controlling spells; he certainly couldn't make a thrall of her right now, with all eyes on her. Locking her in his dungeons right now would be just as useless, they would know immediately he had her and where to find her.

Malan lowered his massive frame into Evangeline's overstuffed chair to begin making a decisive plan of action. There could be no mistakes, not with the throne this close now.

What happened next almost cost him years of planning.

KABOOOOM!

After the trick she played against him, the only thought filling Malan's mind was to feel her throat crushing beneath his fingers. His eyes burned a revenge he hadn't felt since Movarth's trick on him; a rage so great that it nearly caused him to forget the taking of her soul. The Gift Mysteries would have been lost.

Instead his own Nature saved her; disabling him from the ability to harm her...as if she were the Sacred Chosen. For the first time he realized one of his own plots had backfired against him.

While the Nature held him to the floor, Malan began evolving the plan to get her into Mannimarco's hands...Uriel would send her to him.

Her suspicion was tangible when Malan casually dropped the location of Mannimarco's base to her; but he had no doubt she would still bring the information to Uriel; or that Uriel would then send her to Mannimarco's base to destroy it. By the time she arrived, Malan's message warning Mannimarco of her imminent arrival would have been received; Mannimarco would be waiting for her.

Malan kicked back and relaxed to wait out the Nature's wrath; but what happened next changed everything irrevocably. Akatosh showed up.

Malan was stunned. Somehow he'd never quite believed Maxical was an agent of Akatosh or could access him; she was naught but a Khajiit, and the get of slaves!

That Uriel actively worked with the Dragon god for the protection of himself and the Palace had been a shock as well, but...one expects power in the hands of an Emperor. Truthfully, it had given Malan pause at first; but with all other signals waving him in, he had to try. But Maxical having Akatosh's ear...that changed everything.

The horror of that night Malan took Fathis's soul had been thoroughly erased from Maxical's mind; but the glimpse Akatosh gave her of it would surely pull the whole scene back into her memory; Malan had no doubt about that. Right now she couldn't face realizing the significance of what she saw temporarily; but that wouldn't last.

She would very soon realize that he had taken Fathis's soul and lied about being Arbiter... and she had made threats against Amiela if Fathis was harmed; threats he never concerned himself with before knowing she had the power of Akatosh behind her.

Not just Fathis; either. Somehow, Maxical had already made a connection between the vision Akatosh gave her and Gils...there was no doubt she would know Malan had taken Gils' soul too.

Akatosh's warning to Maxical was a warning to himself as well. His luck and time were running out fast. He needed to act. He would not risk any chance Amiela could be harmed; but giving back the souls of Fathis and Gils was not an option either, they were too valuable to him.

Malan revised his earlier plans. Maxical was too dangerous to trust now. She had to be immediately sealed in his central dungeon so she could send no messages to Akatosh. And that would mean moving immediately on the Palace before anyone realized she was missing. He'd have to move so quickly that the throne would be seized before nightfall.

What happened next was possibly even more shocking than Akatosh appearing to give messages to the child of Khajiit slaves. Malan's own Nature; centuries of knowing his every innermost thought; had turned on him in a feral rage; and with such force that at first he thought it was Akatosh returned!

How do you fight something that is an integral part of your being? It came immediately on the heels of his decision to seal her in his dungeon; he had no doubt it was protecting the Khajiit. But from himself?

A tingle of self preservation went down his spine. What was going on? This couldn't have been because of his trick poaching her...could it? A worse though hit him. Was it caused by Hassildor sharing his nature? There was no doubt the lad was angry over the poaching; and she had just said she was sending him thoughts to save her. Had Hassildor caused this?

For the first time it struck Malan how devastating an enemy she could be. Just the night before he had felt a flicker of something, some instinct that warned him that there were now two with his nature in them right there in the Royal Quarters; and if his split-apart Hassildor ever stopped fighting the Khajiit long enough to partner up; they could become a devastating enemy against him. Telling Maxical of Hassildor's spells on Fathis was the best way to ensure they keep fighting each other.

There was no doubt in Malan's mind that Amiela's soul inside Maxical had protected him till now, filling her with love for him. When he removed Amiela all that remained was the enemy that would seek to destroy him...NO!

Malan slowly raised from the chair as the realization hit him. She would seek to destroy his beloved Amiela!

Her every vowed threat came back to him in a rush; even some she had spoken abstractly in his impersonation of Sir Damien. She was going to go after Amiela, he could feel it so strongly that every instinct in him screamed it. Amiela was in danger!

Before today, he had thought her threats against him as silly as they sounded coming from a tiny cat; and what could a beast child of slaves do against Dagoth-Malan? But now there was Akatosh and his own Nature as weapons against him. And his Nature wanted rid of Amiela too; considered her a 'threat to the union', or so the Khajiit wanted him to believe.

Only one coherent thought reverberated through Malan from that point forward; Maxical needed to die...but not before he got her soul.

There was a line drawn inside him that day; he felt it as clearly as if he could see it on the ground before him. The Khajiit was his enemy. He could smell the war ahead in the air; it was a tangible feel as if the void was holding its breath waiting for the battle to begin.

When released by his Nature, Malan immediately shot down to Evengeline's. The outlines of his Royal Guard protecting her door could be seen in thermal view well before he reached the corridor.

Malan realized now how grave an error that had been; he should never have installed them there! It was a blatant giveaway that he was moving on Evangeline! Even Maxical had noticed and mentioned them being there with suspicion! He immediately removed them.

Evangeline immediately popped out of her door. "WHERE IS MY ROYAL GUARD? I will NOT be left unprotected like some piece of ...."

Malan gripped her arm, pushing her back into the room. "You will have your guard tonight when we sleep in the Royal Quarters, Lass. Until then, the best protection you can have is no one knowing you are here till the throne is ours. I have business to attend, but you must be ready! When I return as Imbel, we will be getting married immediately. And tonight we take the throne."

Malan had quickly packed everything he would need for his impersonation of Imbel before the thought occurred to him that he should have moved that recall marker from Maxical's bedroom first. He had best do that first before she found it. He cast quickly, hoping to reach it while she was still in Uriel's suite debriefing.

For one stunned moment Malan looked around, shocked at the sunny sky above him. His skin bubbled painfully under the sun’s burning rays. He tried to dart to shelter and found himself struggling to move as if swimming in quicksand, and a rank odor assailed his nostrils. The feeling of warm moisture seeped into his consciousness before he realized he was at the bottom of a deep-sided manure pit. Damn that Khajiit!

“You plan on buying some of that prime fertilizer or you just gonna play in it?”

Malan looked up to find a hayseed in overalls showing a toothy grin at him around the straw he was chewing on.

“GRAAAAAAGHRRAAA!”

“That Khajiit was in the right of it; said to look for an angry gentleman aplayin’ in my manure. You must be he.”

In his rage, Malan didn’t care what the man witnessed. He disappeared into a vapor right in front of the man just in time to catch the yokel’s “Well I’ll be!”

Malan barely took the time to strip off the filthy clothing at Imbel Manor. There was no time to bathe, nor go back to Theryon for other shoes and socks. He cast the illusion spell, and when the magic dissipated Jakben Imbel emerged from the mist. He donned one of Jak’s fancy coats and hurried to the Palace.

Malan had no sooner mounted the steps when Janus Hassildor and Traven hailed him.

"Imbel! We need you to come with us, Uriel has commanded your presence on the Diplomatic Immunity program you signed." Traven looked pale and nervous about confronting him.

Malan gave Jak's engaging smile. "That's why I'm here, to offer my services." He would somehow have to work it so they stopped at Evangeline's room where he could pretend an instant infatuation with her.

Malan had a sinking feeling when he saw Maxical exiting Evangeline's room. His instincts were right. Amiela was in a rage, and in no way being discreet. His only hope hinged on her position over the Palace guards and staff; but Maxical was prepared with orders from Uriel Septim that stripped her of that power.

Evangeline would be no more use to him now. In his own rage at the Khajiit's destruction of his plans, he let Amiela attack to kill the Khajiit; readying himself to capture her soul as soon as Evangeline's nail bit through her jugular. His right hand raised to cast a soul trap; his left was fingering and squeezing the black soul gem in his pocket. He hoped Hassildor was still under his control so he'd not try to save Maxical.

Suddenly without warning he saw his own arm dart out in a stretching cast, and instead of the soul trap a pair of enchanted shackles conjured midair and flew at Amiela with an unbelievable speed.

Malan stared stunned at his arm, not realizing what had happened at first. He felt his head nodding at Maxical when she sent a mental 'thanks' to him. With a shock Malan realized that he was not in control of his own body. Fathis Aren had overpowered his own soul and fully emerged. Another shock struck him when he tried to force Fathis's nature back and found himself in a struggle to regain control from him.

Only one soul had ever taken control of him before; that damned Imbel used to just long enough to cause him to fart or pick his own nose publically; but Imbel could never hold out against Malan seeking control back like Fathis just did.

With a sudden fear Malan realized the implications if Fathis overpowered him at a crucial moment when he was trying to seize the throne. Fathis would have to be put back into his body immediately. If Malan didn't need Fathis in the future he would have killed him for that interference.

The hardest thing Malan could remember doing this past century was standing by watching as Amiela was dragged out. It took everything in him not to follow; but he strongly sensed a trap lay waiting for him at that Imperial Prison. The way Maxical had those papers in her hand ready was all the proof he needed of it.

For his own safety, and to not lose his access to the Palace, he stayed as they hauled her away. It was a lucky thing he did. Not only was the trap set at the prison; but Uriel had a coup planned in the Palace. Malan would have found himself blocked from the Royal Quarters, and his worst enemy Greywyn Blenwyth ensconced in Malan's own lair with Maxical and Malan's Mysteries.

With a deep breath, Malan realized his instincts had saved him. The best thing he could do right now would be to drop back and let Amiela cool down in that cell while he adjusted his plots again.

What Maxical said about his Nature protecting her...it struck Malan suddenly; that explained why she had remained uncompliant. The Nature knew he had no love for her. It would not turn her heart till his was ready. And it never would be.

The only way to overcome that would be to trick the nature into thinking his heart had changed. His hatred of her would keep him from being able to pretend what he would need to in order to fool the nature. He needed the real Imbel for this. If Fathis hadn't just pulled that stunt, he would have used him to keep from leaving the Palace. But Fathis obviously couldn't be trusted.

Rumpleteasza Goldwine:

IPB Image

ghastley
Oh noes! We're about to get back to "who's who now?"

Evangeline is really Amiela, Malan was briefly Fathis, and maybe Fathis will be Fathis again, except who knows? Malan is being Jak, at least for a while.

Is Maxical still Maxical? And is that Eyja in the bathtub, or am I just daydreaming?
Elisabeth Hollow
Lemme get on my.computer so I can properly comment!

EDIT:

Augh!! I like this from Malan's point of view, and Amelia smelling the stink(so to speak) when he all of a sudden has new mysteries he wants her to use XD

Okay, okay. Sex solves everything, except Malan's problems. It causes ALL of his lol.

And Malan's reaction to the poo was great LMFAO!!!

Acadian
Malan’s perspective confirmed much that Maxical had pieced together and the devastating impact she was having on his soul-gobbling, throne-usurping plans. Not to mention his very uncooperative, vain and rightfully jealous Amiela. Malan and Amiela deserve each other – just as long as they’re condemned to the bottom of a cow manure pit!

Speaking of. . . Jethro Bodine and the bovine poop pit was a wonderfully welcome injection of humor into this tense and reflective episode. laugh.gif

So there might be hope for Fathis after all! Yay! biggrin.gif

Tiny nit: ‘a rage so great that it nearly caused him to forgot {forget} the taking of her soul.’
King Of Beasts
This was interesting from Malan's PoV.

Just one question:

If Jak has been able to take control of Malan before, and Fathis can too, does that mean they could team up and completely take control of Malan? That's a bit of a scary thought, lol
McBadgere
BWAHAHAAA!!...Take that yer be-third-personed personage*... biggrin.gif ...

Absolutely loved this chapter...All the ways Malan has gotten stiffed...Oh yeah, gotta love it!!...

The heart swelled when Fathis did the bit with the manacles...*Applauds*...

Definitely a chapter to treasure... biggrin.gif ...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
Darkness Eternal
Sorry I couldn't get here sooner. I actually promised myself that on Thursday I would read the chapter, but then my laptop broke down and I devoted all my efforts in bringing it back . . .to no avail. I was able to salvage all my info from it, though. Thankfully.

So let us begin.

You promised me a chapter on Malan's perspective and you kept it! And I am happy to say that you have delivered!

With a shudder of excitement he envisioned the power he would wield once he held within himself all the souls contained in the 'Chim-el Adabal' stone of the Amulet of Kings. Not even Mannimarco's power would match Malan's while carrying the souls of all the reigning Emperors.

There is a popular saying that says pride goeth before the fall. I have a feeling Malan may get his big slip up soon. To get to dream of doing such a thing to that extent with the souls of the Septims is . . .madness! Admirable dream in terms of acquiring power but a hell of a fantasy nonetheless.

“AAARRGHAH! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? WHO’S BODY IS THIS, SOMEONE'S GRANDMOTHER? YOU’D BETTER GET YOUR [CENSORED] OUT THERE AND FIND SOMETHING BETTER THAN THIS! AND NOT THAT FLEA-RIDDEN MANGY CAT, EITHER!“

Even with someone with the likes of Malan has to deal with ungrateful women. Never knew Amiela was such a you know what. Then again, maybe I did but never fully realized it until I read more about her and her complaints. Then again, if I was stuck in the body of some old wrinkled woman I wouldn't be too happy about it either. laugh.gif

Damn that Khajiit! He'd have to take her soul to get those mysteries back...but with Azura protecting them, could they even be transferred to Amiela's soul? Mannimarco would know. He may have a solution.

Azura's seal is is Maxical's shield. Should've known that, dear Mally! And consulting with Mannimarco is never a good idea . . .funny thing though . . .Raven once tried consulting with the Avatar of Mannimarco . . .didn't go so well. Vampires and necromancers never really mix all that much, do they?

That Khajiit was in the right of it; said to look for an angry gentleman aplayin’ in my manure. You must be he.”

laugh.gif

My head . . .my head . . .body mimicking all over again! ohmy.gif

I did enjoy the word you chose to describe Malan's use of Jakben's smile. Clever! Great chapter, and things are boiling up as Malan plans to kill off our protagonist. Geez, he's getting pissed!

Hurry up and post the next chapter cause this just got better than it already was!

Grits
Caught up! And what tremendous fun!!

Chapter 201:

"I'm NOT in a snit!" I fumed, unclenching my fists and hoping he hadn't noticed them.

I always love the passages with Janus and Maxical. They are hilarious together.

But then Maxical gets seriously angry, and she was AWESOME at being really angry! She told Janus what he needs to do, and now I am on the edge of my seat wondering if he’ll come through for his own safety when he wouldn’t for Maxical. Woo, next chapter!!

Chapter 202:

Oh wow, Malan! I like his silent vow that Uriel would go down in glory, and his thought that he was performing a noble service for Uriel. That’s perfectly Malan! He is so very pleased with himself at the beginning of the chapter. It makes what happens next even more delightful.

I was rolling at Amiela’s reaction to the “perfect culmination of all his plans” hump session. NOT what he was hoping for! When he started telling HER what his favorites were, I nearly spit out my tea. Yes beloved, he has been humping nasty cats six ways from Sundas for a hundred years. PROBLEM with that??

“That Khajiit was in the right of it; said to look for an angry gentleman aplayin’ in my manure. You must be he.”

ROFL! The thought of Malan smelling of manure in Jak’s fancy outfit and gorgeous appearance had me laughing. I was so thrilled when Fathis put up a fight! Maxical may have an ally after all!
mALX

@ Ghastley - Thank you so much Ghastley! Yeah on the who's who - but it won't be for long, lol. You are def daydreaming Eyja in the tub again though, ROFL !!! Thank you so much Ghastley !!!

@ Elisabeth Hollow - Thank you so much Liz! OMG, you had me dying laughing with your first comment! Thank you so much again Liz !!!

@ Acadian - Thank you so very much Acadian! You had me roaring with your comment, even if I do take exception to the term "rightfully jealous," ROFL !!! I'm with Grits on this one, gotta figure her being dead a century kind of "killed" her rights to complain - and him going through all this to bring her back and the first thing she is going to do is jump all over him if he had another woman in those 100 years? - ROFL !!!

LOVED your "Jethro Bodine" comparison, but I happen to have the cow farmer's picture here - a Nord, as you can plainly see:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RaOrchOImw8/SPyZ...hillbilly19.jpg

Or his son:

http://superjeebus.com/images/Assistant_Pa...ber_Hayseed.jpg

Or maybe it was this guy?:

http://drblues.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/hayseed-crapo.jpg

I had actually picked this guy below as my favorite, till I got my glasses on and saw what was in his hands - kind of immersion killing to have him holding up a big weedwhacker, ROFL !!!:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/62674338_ffde04d3f1.jpg

Who would you choose? I loved them all, lol. ROFL !!!! Thank you so very much again, Acadian !!!

@ King Of Beasts - Thank you so much Kobby! Actually, Ghastley asked that a couple chapters back. They can't communicate with each other or Fathis probably would rally them to a huge rebellion, lol. Also, only one can control his body at the same time - but wouldn't that be an awesome fight? *mALX imagines Malan punching himself in face* You are right about the souls being angry, and wanting to do something against him - once they get out of him, he'd better watch out! Thanks so much again, Kobby !!!!!

@ McBadgere - Thank you so much McB! I am excited by this comment, that made my day! Tables are going to start turning on Malan, and Janus's mind will be cleared of Malan's control so he can make more decisions based on the gentleman he's been for fifty years. And Uriel - you'll get to see in the below chapter why he was so upset about Maxical losing Amiela, and why he was so anxious to get Amiela back into his possession. Thank you so much again, McB!

@ Darkness Eternal - Thank you so much DE! Don't worry, there are more Malan chapters coming, lol. (below, for instance, lol). You've pegged Amiela's personality accurately - Malan created a monster with Amiela, but that doesn't seem to bother him at least, ROFL !!! Thank you so much again, DE!

@ Grits - Thank you so very much Grits! Yes, there was a huge difference between the sniping between them and this fight. That was the first time Janus ever saw her really mad at him, he knows it too. He's caught between a rock and a hard place between the gentleman and the vampire, the accepted chosen and Malan's control over him.

On Malan's vow to Uriel, that is the second time he has vowed a noble sounding vow to Uriel, so far he hasn't kept the first one (to put his own army at Uriel's defense) - all he did was pull them from the war to save losing any more of them, and fill them up in the Palace to take it over, lol.

Uriel's assessment of Malan is the accurate one: No matter how good Malan's intentions may be, and regardless how noble the vow sounds - if something won't avail Malan it will not get done.

When he started telling HER what his favorites were, I nearly spit out my tea. Yes beloved, he has been humping nasty cats six ways from Sundas for a hundred years. PROBLEM with that??

SPEW!!! I did lose my Pepsi on that line !!! ROFL !!! Thank you so very much again Grits!

mALX

Chapter 203: Malan's Problems Begin

******* Malan, impersonating Jakben Imbel

"Is that your idea of romance, Lad? Telling the girl she stinks of cow poop?"

"Don't you smell it?"

"Aye, still do. You step in something?"

"Horse manure, but this smells like cow dung."

"So you step in manure and tell her she's the one that stinks? Oh, Lad; you need to learn how to talk to women. What are you going to do now?"

"I don't know." Janus rubbed his fingers roughly through his hair, pacing the length of the room and back. "What should I do? I don't want to lose my chosen, not angry and fighting like this."

"Are you kidding me, Lad? All you two ever did was fight."

"Not like this, we didn't. [Censored], I've never seen her this mad before. I don't want it to end this way between us."

"From what I overheard you have no choice. Royal command and all, you'll have to swear her to someone tonight. Need I remind you of your promise to me?"

"That promise was if I didn't accept her as my chosen, it's irrelevant now."

"NO!" Malan pounded his fist on the bureau beside him. "That vow is still binding if you're swearing her away."

"Jak, you know if I can't have her I'd rather see her go to you than anyone else; but she said it true. The only right thing to do would be to give her back to Fathis."

"And yet I don't see you leaving to rescue him, why?"

"Because she made me swear a vow to bring him back safe, or have her as my sworn enemy for eternity. Malan has made a thrall of him, I'm sure of it. She said Malan used her virgin blood to coerce a prisoner, you know as well as I do that prisoner was Fathis. Malan was taking his soul, not mating. If she ever realizes what she really witnessed, it would destroy her."

Malan's eyebrows raised involuntarily. "If I didn't know you two hadn't mated, I'd swear your heart was turning toward her."

"How would you know whether we mated or not? And we actually have, in a manner of speaking."

"What manner of speaking would that be; lying? Word amongst our kind said Malan took the pure blood from her."

"I'm not lying. Before Malan kidnapped her, she gave me a kiss using one of her mysteries. Let's just say the act was completed."

"BWAAHAA! All that fighting and none of the fun? You don't have much luck with women; do you, Lad."

"My heart has been turning. I really don't know if it is from that or because Malan and I share one nature. We're split-aparts, did you know that?"

"I do now. Well Lad, if it helps; just remember that this one wasn't what you wanted to begin with, Khajiit and all. Petition the nature for another chosen. Maybe next time you'll get that big breasted blonde you wanted, or at least one you can get along with."

"We get along fine! What I mean is, arguing with her doesn't bother me, Jak. Something deep inside me sparks every time her eyes blaze. I've even roiled her up a few times just to watch her eyes ignite. Uriel enjoys baiting her temper for the same reason."

Malan blew a soft whistle, smothering a smile. He'd felt that same spark from his battle line several times with Maxical, but knew its source.

"Well that explains you squabbling with your chosen. That's the battle blood in your ancient line, Lad. I'll guarantee the source of that fire in Maxical was all Malan's wife inside her. Didn't Evangeline's eyes blaze the same?"

Janus gaped his response before speaking. "Gods no! Evangeline's was an evil glare, filled with hatred. Do you realize how strong Maxical must be to have overpowered that horrible thing and kept it subjugated so it never showed up in her? Malan may as well have married Molag Bal himself, it would have been an improvement..." Malan cut him off.

"Look, we need to get back on topic before Blenwyth shows up. What if you're wrong about Fathis being a thrall? Shouldn't you be leaving to find out?"

Janus sank down in Evangeline's overstuffed chair before answering. "I can't, Jak. I need you to do it for me."

"Now we're getting down to the truth. Why me? You afraid of Malan, Lad?"

"Everyone is, but it's not that. My nature would kill Fathis."

"Well it's about time you started acting like a vampire. I told you all along you should be killing her husband."

"You heard Maxical, my Diplomatic Immunity and County seat are both on the line. If Fathis ends up dead no matter the cause, Maxical will put me in that eternal dungeon herself."

"Wait, Lad. Why all this talk of killing Fathis, who is helpless and shackled in a dungeon? Why'd you never go after Malan for taking her from you and mating her under your nose?"

"Because Malan can't be killed, he has thousands of souls in him giving him immortal strength."

"Yes, I know, remember I was commanded here to assist in taking Malan down if I wanted to keep my Diplomatic Immunity. Has Uriel come up with any plan for how we are to take him out yet?"

"Right now they're probably still watching Evangeline, expecting Malan will immediately show up to get his wife back. That's his likeliest move. As Maxical just said, he's predictable. Uriel said that makes it easy to set traps and counter his moves."

Malan's turned his back to Janus and pretended to busy himself with pouring a glass of wine. Being called predictable rankled, especially since they were right in their guess at his next move. He actually had started to follow them out to immediately remove Amiela. His foremost thought when they were taking her was protecting Amiela from enduring even a moment locked in a cell.

But how had Uriel seen that past Malan's blatant display of interest in Maxical? Had he suspected all along that she was just a diversionary tactic?

Predictable or not, Malan was still anxious to remove Amiela as quickly as possible. He couldn't leave her in that cell! And her rescue could never be left to his minions, that would be an insult to her!

With a sudden startled thought, Malan missed the wineglass and slopped the wine he was pouring onto Evangeline's bureau. Was Uriel counting on that too?

For the second time in less than a day he felt the tingle of self preservation honing his senses as it shivered down his spine. Yes, somehow Uriel knew that's how Malan would think. Janus said Uriel was expecting him to show up at the prison. He was counting on it, drawing Malan out. He'd set a trap, and baited it with Amiela.

Uriel was a more dangerous opponent than he'd realized. How had he discovered Amiela was inside Evangeline so quickly, and had orders drawn up and ready to remove her from her post? Underestimating Uriel had been a big mistake.

What should he do, though? He couldn't leave Amiela there, if they moved her he'd never be able to find her! He needed to find out what kind of a trap Uriel had laid for him, and counter it.

"So then, Lad; what tasks will you and I have? I'm anxious to get started, are we to just go out and hunt him?"

"No, Malan can't be killed without an army and continuous soul-trapping. Uriel is setting a trap for him, and an organized attack. Traven discovered the location of some huge black soul gem, and a couple weeks ago he sent Caranya to the Fort Ontus Mages Guild to train a full army of mages in soul trap. They're pairing up with the Imperial Army to take Malan down."

Malan gripped the wine bottle in his hands so tightly that his knuckles jutted with the white bone beneath. There was no doubt in his mind that army and those mages were set up around the Imperial Prison just waiting for him to show up. He would have been killed if he had gone.

Malan blew his breath out slowly. It was a good thing he had stayed to hear Uriel's plans. He needed to step back and regroup before he lost everything, including his life.

His next move would have to be very well thought out and carefully planned. Uriel would never order Evangeline killed. Amiela would be livid with him for leaving her there, but she was safe staying right where she was for the time being.

Malan kept his back to Janus, not trusting his ability to keep his expression bland right now. He forced a note of surprised derision into his voice. "You can't be serious, Traven turning to necromancy?"

"He has no choice, Uriel commanded he do whatever it took to take down Malan. Traven actually wasn't as averse to it as you would think though, especially after learning about Malan's connection with Mannimarco. He said with creatures like Malan and Mannimarco, the only way to defeat them is to fight dirt with dirt."

"That's all men's thinking and mortal's ways, though. I wondered why your nature never drove you to go after Malan yourself."

"It has. The drive in me has been as powerful as the bloodlust to kill Malan and take Maxical to my Castle. The last time Malan took her to his lair it woke something deep within me that felt like a raging torment. It brought the giant out in me in a way it never has before, much bigger than Malan was the night he attacked us at the Temple of the One."

"Hold on. Are you saying bigger than Malan's giant form?"

"At least twice as big. I felt like I could have crushed him to the floor easily."

Malan fumbled with corking the bottle of wine, watching several crumbled pieces breaking off and floating in the liquid below while inside himself he was fighting the urge to throw the bottle against the stone outer wall with force just to hear it shatter.

How could Janus's giant be bigger than his own? They were split-aparts, made with the same batch of blood cocktail. Why had his nature turned on him like a raging demon, and crushed him to the floor at the same time Janus was feeling that? Did Janus cause it?

Movarth. Movarth did something.

Malan turned his back to Janus again, thinking rapidly. The giant came from the battle ancient line he'd used in the cocktail mixture of blood. Could Movarth have somehow increased the battle line in the batch that made Janus without altering the batch itself?

Malan had a sudden vision of Movarth working in his lab at Theryon, doing some odd spell that spun vials of blood rapidly. Movarth said he'd discovered a way to isolate the components in blood without altering their composition. He must have isolated that battle line and reintroduced it over and over again into the cocktail batch that made Janus. Movarth was plotting against him even back then, and Malan never knew it.

Janus's strength for battle must be tremendous. They shared one nature, and now the Khajiit had that same nature in her too. She tipped the balance depending on whose side she was on, and she knew it. Paired with Janus they would literally destroy him.

Malan blew his breath out quietly between his teeth. Uriel's orders may have saved his life. Hassildor had to be removed from the equation immediately.

Fathis's soul needed to be put back before the cretin ruined another of Malan's plots, but all speed was needed before Blenwyth got here and Hassildor swore Malan's Royal Quarters lair and Gift mysteries away to him.

"Look Janus, I'll only go to Malan's lair in your stead if that promise you made to me stands binding. Keep your vow to me, because I won't do this just to come back and find you've sworn her to Blenwyth."

Janus thumped his fist on his chest. "I'll swear her over to you, but only if it can't be Fathis. If it can't be him or me, I'd rather see her go to you than anyone else."

"If he's intact I'll forego my rights to her, but I'm getting the credit for rescuing him. New to the Diplomatic Immunity program, get my foot in the door so to speak."

"You'll have credit for the deed, but commissioned by me. You'll still get the glory for the rescue acting as my agent, but if I've sent you it wipes my slate clean. I'll be in good standing again, retain my County seat and Diplomatic Immunity. This way we both gain from it."

"Done." Malan pounded his chest.

Janus stopped in his tracks. "Wait, they've sealed all the entrances. How can you leave the Palace?"

"There's a broken window midway up the tower I've seen flying by."

"That's right! I know where it is, I'll bring you to it. I'll warn you though, there might be some of Malan's army in there."

"If there are, they won't be there long. I intend to keep this Diplomatic Immunity he gave me, show Uriel I'm an asset to the program." Malan gave Jak's easy grin and followed Janus down the corridor.

Elisabeth Hollow
Aha! Malan has learned that Maxical IS important.

I'm sorry my comment is so...obvious, lol.
King Of Beasts
Malan may as well have married Molag Bal himself, it would have been an improvement..." Malan cut him off.

Nah, molag bal deserves better than Malan rollinglaugh.gif

Lol. Malan is in big trouble. And he's getting scared. I can't wait to see him get his rear end kicked hehe.gif
Acadian
‘Janus gaped his response before speaking. "Gods no! Evangeline's was an evil glare, filled with hatred. Do you realize how strong Maxical must be to have overpowered that horrible thing and kept it subjugated so it never showed up in her? Malan may as well have married Molag Bal himself, it would have been an improvement..." Malan cut him off.’
This was hilarious as Janus unknowingly called Malan’s wife the wicked wench from Daedric hell right to his face!

"You can't be serious, Traven turning to necromancy?"
The thought that Maxical would call this fighting dirt with dirt came to mind even before I read of Uriel saying so in the next paragraph!

Oh noes! JakbeMalan and Janus having a ‘giant measuring’ contest!

Gosh, they’re both worms! Malan would kill Maxical and Janus would pass her off like a commodity or piece of meat. Urg. . . MalanbeJak going to 'rescue' Fathis' does not bode well. . . .
ghastley
I can't help thinking that Fathis might have a few ideas of his own, if he gets the chance. If he's still able to pull the shackles trick, he's not to be discounted. Except that Malan will do just that, and underestimate him.

Amiela's potentially a loose cannon, if she's got control of Evangline's body. Especially if she's not happy with Malan.

I just love it when a plan comes together falls apart completely.
Darkness Eternal
So, the beginning of Malan's problems? For some reason I have a bad feeking about this. After what the poor fellow has been through, his problems have just begun?!

So Jakben Malan is teaching Janus some love hints 101, eh? Poor Janus, calling Maxical a load of poopoo(heh) isn't going to help his cause, is it?

Haha, I must agree with Acadian here. He just insulted the love of Malan's life right there. In his face. Malan had to change the topic before he got upset laugh.gif

And he did get visibly upset when he found out a bunch of Imperial mages are waiting for him in an ambush. The thought of him being killed if he went is just meh! After all those centuries, being defeated by a mob of mages wouldn't do him service.

The ending gave me chills . . .poor Janus doesn't even have a clue he's dealing with Malan himself. Such a masquerade, eh? A vampire pretending to be a vampire pretending to plot against a vampire who he himself happens to be! wacko.gif
McBadgere
Oh it's brilliant watching Malan squirm... laugh.gif ...

While I'm sure there's more Malan turning tables moments coming soon...This brief window of everything crashing down has been one of my fave sections so far... biggrin.gif ...Not a great shocker there, I know... laugh.gif ...

Although, I can't remember if everyone's worked out that Imbel is probably Malan too?...And therefore Janus is playing Malan...But either way...The whole who's playing whom is really funny... biggrin.gif ...

Absolutely amazing stuff...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds most heartily*...
mALX
QUOTE(McBadgere @ May 2 2013, 11:31 PM) *

Oh it's brilliant watching Malan squirm... laugh.gif ...

While I'm sure there's more Malan turning tables moments coming soon...This brief window of everything crashing down has been one of my fave sections so far... biggrin.gif ...Not a great shocker there, I know... laugh.gif ...

Although, I can't remember if everyone's worked out that Imbel is probably Malan too?...And therefore Janus is playing Malan...But either way...The whole who's playing whom is really funny... biggrin.gif ...

Absolutely amazing stuff...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds most heartily*...

Ooh, thank you!

No, only the readers know that Malan is Jak.

In the story so far, only Sir Damien and Fathis know that Malan is Jak because they were being held in the dungeon with the real Jakben Imbel. Neither can tell till they get back to Cyrodiil.

Actually, Vicente realized it but he is not there to warn anyone. The only one he told was Seridur, who died before he could tell anyone. (so no one in the Palace knows it is Malan).

McBadgere
Gotcha... goodjob.gif ...

Ta... biggrin.gif ...

Grits
Janus gaped his response before speaking. "Gods no! Evangeline's was an evil glare, filled with hatred. Do you realize how strong Maxical must be to have overpowered that horrible thing and kept it subjugated so it never showed up in her? Malan may as well have married Molag Bal himself, it would have been an improvement..." Malan cut him off.

rollinglaugh.gif That was hilarious!

"Yes, I know, remember I was commanded here to assist in taking Malan down if I wanted to keep my Diplomatic Immunity. Has Uriel come up with any plan for how we are to take him out yet?"

Oh crap. I want to give Janus a smack and yell, THAT’S MALAN!!

How could Janus's giant be bigger than his own?

Good grief, are you trying to kill me?! I hurt myself laughing!! rollinglaugh.gif

Fathis's soul needed to be put back before the cretin ruined another of Malan's plots, but all speed was needed before Blenwyth got here and Hassildor swore Malan's Royal Quarters lair and Gift mysteries away to him.

Oh, this is exciting! I can’t wait to see what happens with Fathis.
jack cloudy
I had time today so I did a teensy bit of reading. Lessee, Maxi got attacked but saved. Now the big questions are, did she get infected, is she still blue in the face and when does she realize that no, the show must not go on? Seriously girl, you're at the core of a bloody vampire war and half-dead. I'm sure you can take time out from the damn catfight wrestling festival. Screw the publicity. Really, you don't have to do everything yourself. Let some random lad hang up the posters for a handful of coin.

A nice point is how serious and methodical Hannibal and his allies are in dealing with all the vampires running wild in the city. They gather information on their targets (excellent use of a spymaster), figure out what they're after and finally make a list of who they need to stop it and how to proceed. Having each person involved know only a piece of the puzzle was wonderful and I especially appreciate the offhand remark that the search-team should operate in pairs. Going solo works in big hero stories, but when the persons are not marked by destiny, precautions like always working with backup is the best.
King Coin
Ah yes. Cow manure. Taking over the Empire while smelling like cow [censored]. Write that in the history books.

Ummm… No magical shield, and who’s naked?

Wonder who this handsome man is. Maxical describes some of his abilities and mannerisms like Fathis… but this can’t be, can it?

Just a word of warning, Amiela…
rollinglaugh.gif This whole paragraph is AMAZING.

Oh thanks for the explanation. I had no idea that any of the souls could take over Malan briefly. I thought he was a new character you were introducing.

You’re Kidding!! Janus doesn’t know Malan’s here? rollinglaugh.gif

I was sure that Janus was going to explode when she told him about the other vamp. I wonder what he’s going to do next?

Who have you been with, Malan? Does this have to do with that nasty cat?"
Busted! laugh.gif His life is about to get really miserable. Who really wants the throne? Him or her?

The guy in the overalls! I’m surprised Malan didn’t kill him in a fit of rage!

Malan has a huge weakness now. He’ll never be able to trust his own body! Amazing.

So you step in manure and tell her she's the one that stinks? Oh, Lad; you need to learn how to talk to women. What are you going to do now?
Wooooooooooooooooow. Janus is.. I don’t even know what to say.

I’m surprised he’s considering getting Fathis. Maybe he will make the attempt after all. *strong doubt

Malan may as well have married Molag Bal himself, it would have been an improvement
HA!

Yes, somehow Uriel knew that's how Malan would think
You don’t get to be emperor for nothi- wait that is a hereditary position isn’t it. Well regardless, he’s pretty damn smart.

So to kill Malan, Maxical needs to get Janus riled up so he gets bigger than Malan and then squishes him like a bug! Simple! tongue.gif

WAIT! Fathis’ soul might be put back??
mALX

@ Elisabeth Hollow - Thank you so much Liz! Yeah, she'd better be, because when he no longer needs her, he'll have Amiela kill her. Thanks Liz!

@ King Of Beasts - Thank you so much Kobby! Lol, you had me rolling with your comment!

@ Acadian - Thank you so very much Acadian! "Giant measuring contest" - SPEW! ROFL! Hope you come back soon, you are missed! Thank you again, Acadian!

@ Ghastley - Thank you so very much Ghastley! First: I loved your comment! You nailed more possibilities than I'd thought of! Since the real Foxy is AWOL, I should PM you when I need help with intricate deep plotting! Second: Thank you so very much for all your help with the Wobbly Inn mod - it would not be the same at all without you! You ROCK!

@ Darkness Eternal - Thank you so very much DE! You had me dying laughing with this:

So, the beginning of Malan's problems? For some reason I have a bad feeking about this. After what the poor fellow has been through, his problems have just begun?!

SPEW! rollinglaugh.gif I loved your comments about this, you nailed so many things I was hoping would come across! Thank you so much again, DE!

@ McBadgere - Thank you so very much McB! I enjoyed writing that too, and did think about both you and KC while I did. I'm glad you liked it! Malan's advancements will be fewer than you may think from here on out, it is about to get down into an all out war against Malan in a few chapters. Thank you so much again, McB!

@ Grits - Thank you so very much Grits! You made my day with this, it always tickles me to hear something I've written brought laughter! (and to be honest, I didn't realize the giant comparing would be funny! I think the spirit of Foxy got everyone on that, lol). Thank you so very much again, Grits!

@ Jack Cloudy - Thank you so much Jack! She would lose her husband if she let anyone else go with him, knew Fathis wouldn't kill Gils if she was there to witness it; that's the only reason she insisted on helping Gils. Your dread of this cage match is killing me, lol. Since you don't like spoilers, all I can say is that you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you so very much for your kind words about the methodical follow-up to take the vampires down, that meant a lot to hear from you especially; because of the intricate work you have put into the background of the attacks on Uriel Septim and attempts to counter them in your own "Redemption, Part 2" story.

I appreciate your reading, thank you so much again!

@ King Coin - Thank you so very much KC! I loved your brief summaries of all those chapters, and your comments had me rolling! Thank you so much KC!

@ EVERYONE - I apologize for the two month hiatus in the story. The loss of my Mother affected me greatly. I wasn't able to read for weeks (got behind on all your stories, and I so apologize for that). I've also not been up to writing at all, (or even editing the chapters I had written ahead from last year). Also stalled was the rewriting of the early chapters (trying to shorten the story and focus it a little better).

I spent some of that recuperation period making the mod for the Wobbly Inn RP, and then still dragged my feet on posting anything new trying to give time for some that were still reading the early chapters to catch up.

Because it has been so long, I thought it would be a good idea to give a brief summary of the last few chapters to refresh anyone's memory (who wanted or needed it refreshed) as to where the story was.

Thank you all so much for your support, your patience, your condolences, and your friendship <3 - Cindy

Brief Summary of Last Chapters:

Unbeknownst to everyone but Amiela, Malan has been impersonating Jakben, Earl of Imbel for three centuries.

Malan's plan was to blatantly pursue Maxical (as a diversion). Everyone would be watching her and not notice the Earl of Imbel's marriage to Evangeline. He planned to move on the Palace immediately once Amiela had taken over Evangeline's body completely, and before anyone realized he'd even removed Amiela from Maxical. Once the power of the throne was his he planned to stick Amiela's soul into the Count of Kvatch's daughter, (Rumpleteasza Goldwine**) and kill Evangeline.

Unbeknownst to Maxical, (while she was in Theryon for ten days with Malan) Uriel had a trap laid for Malan ready to be sprung. Hannibal had gained access to a huge black soul gem, and sent Caranya to the Fort Ontus Mages Guild to train a full army of mages in soul trap and lead them. They paired up with the Imperial Army to stage an organized attack to take Malan down.

Uriel's plan was always to use Amiela as bait to lure Malan in, whether she was inside Maxical or someone else. The trap was set at the Imperial Prison compound.

Malan removed Amiela's soul from Maxical while she slept, and stuck her soul inside Evangeline. Amiela was quickly able to fully emerge inside Evangeline and take control. When Malan tried to mate her, he discovered neither Fathis's Mysteries nor the Gift Mysteries had transferred with Amiela's soul.

Frustrated (literally) - Malan planned to take Maxical's soul to get those Mysteries, then kill her (since she was no longer of any use to him).

Maxical woke to find Malan gone. After an argument with Janus, Maxical soon realized Malan had duped her and that Amiela's soul had been removed from her.

Maxical discovered Malan's guard in front of Evangeline's door. Maxical (with the help of Malan's nature inside her) tricked Malan into actually making her his chosen. (so he couldn't harm/kill her). Malan was enraged by the trick, he never wanted anyone but Amiela to be his chosen.

Malan didn't think Maxical would be alive to tell, so revealed to her that Mannimarco was in Cyrodiil and the location of his base of operations.

Malan tried to kill Maxical, but his own nature stopped him (unbeknownst to Malan, his nature has now sided with his split-apart Janus Hassildor). The nature let Maxical escape Malan.

Maxical suspected Malan had placed Amiela's soul inside Evangeline (because Malan's guard had been at Evangeline's door). She immediately told Uriel her suspicions, and revealed the location of Mannimarco's base of operations.

Hannibal Traven nearly went into shock learning of Mannimarco's presence in Cyrodiil. He remained unwell afterward.

Evangeline was Uriel's third in command (technically second in command, since Ocato would most likely be killed). Uriel immediately drew up orders that Evangeline be instantly removed from her post and taken to the Imperial Prison Compound. He sent Maxical down to serve the orders. She was also to find the Recall Marker that Malan was using to get into the Royal Quarters.

Janus was livid with Maxical. (Maxical thought it was from their earlier argument, she didn't know that as Malan's split-apart Janus knew she had become Malan's chosen fully that morning).

Maxical found the recall marker and buried it in a cow manure pit, then went to Evangeline's room. Because Malan's guard wasn't there, Maxical thought she may have been wrong about Amiela's soul being inside Evangeline, she felt terrible about costing Evangeline her job and delayed telling her about it till she could speak to Uriel.

Thinking it was still her friend Evangeline; Maxical described the loss of her virginity by Malan and subsequent ten days of mating (in her usual way of exaggerating/gossiping/bragging), and also shared some juicy gossip about the Earl of Imbel - inadvertently enraging Amiela on both counts, since Amiela knew Malan was impersonating Imbel.

Maxical suddenly realized it was Amiela, and that she had full control of Evangeline. Maxical bundled up Alix the Mouse and took him out of Evangeline's room for his own protection.

Malan tried to use the Recall to access the Palace and found himself at the bottom of a cow manure pit in broad daylight. He left there burned to a crisp and stinking. He barely took the time to stop by the Talos Plaza mansion and change his pants, but the shoes and socks still reeked of manure when he headed to the Palace.

Hannibal and Janus bearded Malan (impersonating Jakben, Earl of Imbel) on the doorsteps of the Palace. Malan immediately realized this intervention would actually benefit him - smooth his entry into the Royal Quarters and gave him two handy witnesses (all that is needed to wed).

Malan made a hasty revision of his marriage plans, decided to pretend to fall in love with Evangeline instantly on sight and have Janus and Hannibal witness it so he and Evangeline could just walk into the Royal Quarters together (and then he could summon his army up and attack immediately).

Maxical was just leaving Evangeline's room when they arrived on the Battlemage's floor. Before Janus could introduce (who he thinks is his friend Jak) to Maxical, Amiela/Evangeline grabbed Jak and started beating the living hell out of him. Hannibal and Janus called for the guards.

Malan's quickly thought up plan to wed Evangeline immediately was thwarted by Amiela's rage. Instead of the quick wedding he'd planned, Malan (as Jak) got a quick (but severe, since he couldn't fight back) beating by Amiela/Evangeline.

Maxical knew Malan was present by the scent of cow manure in the air, but didn't know the handsome stranger with Hannibal and Janus was actually Malan in disguise (no one knew that but Amiela). Since no introductions took place, Maxical also didn't know the handsome stranger was Janus's friend Jak (the Earl of Imbel).

Maxical realized it was "Zero Hour," that Malan was making his move on the Palace since he now had Amiela fully raised in Evangeline, who at this point still held her position as Uriel's third in command. (second in command, since Malan would kill Ocato).

Maxical shoved Alix the Mouse into Hannibal's hands (Hannibal was still in shock over Mannimarco being in Cyrodiil) and sent him to guard Uriel. She had Foxy's men seal the Royal Quarters off.

Maxical told the guards this was Malan's wife Amiela impersonating Evangeline, that Evangeline was now considered a traitor to the throne. Then Maxical served Uriel's orders vacating Evangeline's post/position in the Palace immediately (so the guards could arrest her, since Evangeline was over them in power) and ordering them to take her to the Imperial Prison.

Malan was stunned to learn that Uriel knew Amiela was inside Evangeline enough in advance to have those orders ready (when Malan had just moved her there that morning). It was (once again) put in Malan's face that Uriel Septim was a dangerous opponent to underestimate.

Before the guards could stop her, Evangeline/Amiela tried to kill Maxical; but Fathis's soul inside Malan took temporary control of Malan to save Maxical. Malan had trouble getting control back from Fathis. (Maxical thought the handsome man had saved her. She still didn't know who he was, but for a split second thought she saw him looking at her in the same way Fathis used to).

Unbeknownst to anyone, Malan has some kind of implanted mind control on Janus, which is why he did not/could not try to save Maxical when Amiela attacked her.

Before the guards hauled Evangeline/Amiela to the Imperial Prison; Maxical threatened Amiela that she would bury her in so many pieces that Malan would never be able to find them all. (* remember that threat, it was a serious one).

Maxical didn't know about Uriel's trap for Malan, but in following Uriel's orders she had just baited it for him.

Malan was going to follow immediately to rescue Amiela's soul, but realized he'd have to set another Recall Marker in the Royal Quarters first or he may not be able to get back into them. He also had to neutralize Maxical and Fathis, and get/take Maxical's soul. He decided to take care of those things first, then rescue Amiela from the Prison.

Maxical tried to joke with Janus (by mocking Malan) to re-establish good will between them so he would be receptive to keeping his vow to save Fathis. Instead they got into an argument after he told her she stunk like manure.

Maxical swallowed her anger and pleaded with Janus to rescue Fathis, revealing to him Uriel's plot to block Malan from the Royal Quarters (by having Janus swear her as chosen over to Greywyn Blenwyth and establishing Greywyn's lair in the Royal Quarters). Malan overheard it.

When Janus didn't budge on helping Maxical, fear drove her temper to seriously blow. She threatened Janus's Diplomatic Immunity and public seat as Count Skingrad if he didn't keep his vow and save Fathis and/or if Fathis's soul was not intact when he was found. Maxical went back to the Royal Quarters, sealing Janus and his handsome friend out of them.

(Without that Diplomatic Immunity and because he is immortal, by Uriel's Law against ancient vampires Janus would be locked in the dungeons for his eternity).

Thinking it was his friend Jak (who unbeknownst to Janus has always been Malan in disguise as long as Janus has known him) Janus inadvertently revealed to Malan the trap set for him at the Imperial Prison Compound.

Malan also learned that Janus's giant form was much larger than his own. Since they are split-aparts they should have been exactly alike.

Malan realized that Movarth must have been plotting against him and altered the blood cocktail used to make Janus Hassildor.

* Movarth discovered that rapidly spinning blood isolated the components in the blood without altering their composition.

* Unbeknownst to Malan, Movarth was plotting against him all that time.

* Movarth isolated the battle line in the blood cocktail that made Janus Hassildor, and reintroduced it over and over again so that if Malan and Janus ever battled (Janus would whip Malan's butt).

Malan realized it was Janus that turned the nature they shared against him when it attacked him and pinned him to the floor. He realized that since Maxical had that nature inside her too, she would swing the power of the nature depending on who's side she was on.

Malan realized he'd made a huge mistake making Janus his split-apart. He knows now that he absolutely HAS to remove Janus from the equation before Janus and Maxical pair up against him.

From what Malan overheard Maxical say and learning about this trap Uriel had waiting for him (and about Janus's giant being bigger) - Malan was very glad he had not followed Amiela. He decided he needed time to completely rework his plans, Amiela would have to stay in the dungeon till he could rescue her safely. (Even though Malan realized she would be totally enraged by being stuck there with no contact from him).

Janus asked (who he thought was Jak) to rescue Fathis for him (commissioned by himself, so he could retain his public office and good standing with the Diplomatic Immunity program). He swore a vow with Jak (Malan) that if Fathis was a thrall, he would swear his rights to Maxical onto Jak.

Malan left for his lair. He is going to his lair to put Fathis's soul back (since Fathis can't be trusted). That is all we know so far.

** Rumpleteasza has graciously agreed to allow the use of her name and image as Count Goldwine of Kvatch's daughter. Thank you Rumple!

mALX

*** D. Foxy has graciously approved the use of his characters Damien "Foxy" Reynard and to the cameo mention of his character Sneakers in this episode.

Chapter 204: Sir Damien (Foxy) Reynard

******* Sir Damien "Foxy" Reynard; from his capture (Chapter 123, Page 62):

Theryon's underside, the giant black soul gem where the prisoners are housed. The isolation cell Foxy was taken to is in the extreme lowest point of the cone:

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/images/1711501-1295267206.jpg

Shards of glimpsed memories filtered repeatedly through Foxy's mind as if on an endless loop, each bringing a feeling of urgency to waken from the blackness that held him captive. A clone of himself talking to him through the bars of a cell. Sneakers laying in a crumpled bloody heap. Fathis Aren naked in a jail cell. Danger. Images that faded before he could grasp them or touch their significance.

Consciousness was an intangible goal. Each time he thought he was close enough to grasp it the gasses hissed their poison into the air and the blackness returned before he could seal his lungs off from breathing them.

Somewhere in his subconscious, Foxy realized he was being shackled and dragged. In his mind warning bells sounded a disconnected message to his paralyzed limbs, but through his unconscious state his memory retained glimpses of dark glowing walls in an odd cave system that seemed to be made of Welkynd or some other magic stone.

The cavern walls hummed loudly and continuously. There was an impression of being dragged down an extremely steep incline, then tumbling through the air. He heard his shackles crunching on stone rather than felt the landing.

The loud humming of the walls was a deafening torture, seeping into his consciousness long before the gasses dissipated from the air and Foxy found himself waking up in a deep cone-shaped tomb made of that strange dark stone that breathed as if it were alive, sucking and absorbing magicka and strength out of him; out of the air itself.

The poisonous gas filled his cell with regularity, seeming to ooze from the walls themselves. When he woke from the gas there would be raw food on the floor of the cell, usually smashed by the fall from being tossed down.

Time was endless in this tomb of a cell. No daylight penetrated the thick stone to measure its passing. Malan had thought of everything, it was as if this cell had been created with Foxy in mind. The shackles that held him had a magical seal that could not be picked, not in this cell where the magic was absorbed before it could even be tapped.

The steep cone-shaped walls of the cell and trap door centered on the ceiling high above him made escaping the tomb impossible. There were no air vents, but somehow his lungs never lacked for oxygen. The cell must have an underwater breathing enchantment.

The wall itself was an irregular mass, roughly lumped with blue-black mounds and glowing tentacles that were unlike any Welkynd stone he'd ever seen. Between the protrusions was veined glass-like rock that looked like a smoky winding river. Foxy tested that first, gouging his shackles into it repeatedly till a small shard broke free and tumbled down the inclined wall.

Foxy bent over, tentatively feeling the stone before picking it up. When he held it up to the glowing stone for examination the shock of what this tomb was made of struck him forcibly. Black soul gem. He was entombed in what must be a black soul gem the size of a city.

*** Moved to the Cell Block with Fathis and the real Jakben Imbel:

Foxy awoke from the gases to find he'd been moved again. He was shackled so tightly that he was held bound against the stone back wall of a barred prison cell. His first thought was the relief of breathing air, of daylight filtering down through an air shaft that opened into the cell block.

This was where he had originally landed on entering Malan's lair, why was he moved back here again? His second though was Sneakers and Fathis Aren. Foxy strained to twist against the shackles and view the cell block.

Nearest him was a fully clothed Breton vampire in loose shackles, watching him with interest. He was oddly familiar looking. Foxy's eyes slid past him down the row of empty cells. At the farthest end was Fathis; naked and with his shackles dangled loosely from his arms. That couldn't be good.

"FATHIS!" Foxy shouted, surprised his voice still worked.

Fathis didn't respond, as if he hadn't heard. There was an eerie stillness about him, an odd blankness in his expression. What had Malan done to Fathis? And where was Sneakers?

"Hey, is your name Foxy?" The Breton vampire waved an arm to get his attention, the loose chain on his shackles clanking loudly.

Foxy didn't answer, instead asked the prominent question on his mind. "Where is the little Bosmer that was with me? Do you know if he lived?"

"He was alive when Malan brought him up to the dungeon above here. That's where prisoners are interrogated." He pointed up toward the ceiling.

Foxy nodded his head toward Fathis next. "What's wrong with Fathis?"

"Fathis is gone, Malan took his soul. Are you Foxy? Fathis kept yelling for 'Foxy' to save him when Malan did it. He fought hard, but in the end you see what happened." Jak went on to fill in the details, freely explaining the bloodlust's power over a young vampire like Fathis was.

Foxy's mind was coldly and rapidly calculating the information as Jak talked. Anger overrode the shock and pain. Fathis called for him and wasn't saved, that created a debt in Foxy's mind that Malan would pay, along with Foxy's own retribution on him for his time in these dungeons.

The Breton unshackled himself and deftly picked his way out of his cell and into Foxy's to clasp his hand. "My name is Jakben Imbel, but you can call me Jak." He went on to demonstrate how to break the magicka barrier in the cell bars.

"You're Springheel Jak?"

"Haha, yeah. I haven't heard anyone call me that in centuries."

Foxy paused, listening to his speech patterns and accent. There was nothing of the highbrow gentleman he'd seen in the Imperial City in this rascally scamp of a Breton.

By all reports Springheel Jak was a common thief who's undeniably handsome face and charm with the ladies garnered him more fame than his abilities as a thief. This youth was the scallywag he had expected Imbel to be. Foxy instantly believed him.

"There's another man in Imbel Manor calling himself Jakben, Earl of Imbel."

"That's Malan. He's been impersonating me almost three centuries. He's impersonating you right now."

Foxy's breath caught involuntarily. "How long have I been here?"

"Nigh on three weeks now."

Foxy shook his arms free of the shackles when Jak broke the magic seal, thanking him. "I need to get back there and stop Malan. How do I get out of here?"

"There is no escape from Theryon unless you can fly, we're miles up in the air. My vampire line can't fly. Fathis's can, but you'll not reach him in this state. I should warn you now, this tier of the dungeons is used only for vampires and thralls. Malan must intend to make you one or the other, or you wouldn't have been moved here."

Foxy moved stiffly out of the cell. "How did he do that to Fathis?"

"Swearing a vow with him, that's how Malan does it. There's thousands of souls inside him, he's as powerful as a god from them."

"Maxical, the white Khajiit. Did he kill her?"

"No. He won't as long as he needs her."

"Malan needs her?"

Jak readily explained, finishing with, "She's safe till Malan gets Amiela's soul and those mysteries. Then he'll kill her."

Jak was a gregarious cellmate; probably because Malan had been holding his soul for centuries and what few times he'd been exiled to these cells his only company had been thralls Malan was impersonating. Foxy found him to be a likable lad with an innate intelligence.

Jak held devastatingly crucial information about Malan, and readily spewed it with or without prompting. He was overly talkative, chattering endlessly. The vampire never needed rest or food. Foxy soon realized no minions brought food to this tier of the dungeon.

Jak nodded wisely. "Malan is weakening you through starvation." He explained in his cheery manner of spouting information. "If you're hungry, climb up that air shaft. I'll help you reach it. Follow that outer wall around, there's a secret entrance into Malan's lair there."

After extended hours of listening to Jak rehash the many things he'd been a forced silent witness to while his soul resided inside Malan; Foxy broke in and asked Jak a question that had been bothering him.

"You said Malan exiled you to these cells as punishment, was it for something you did as a soul inside him?"

Jak nodded, more than willing to fill him in. "I learned a way to temporarily overcome Malan's soul and take control over his body. Malan hates anyone having power over him, it scares the hell out of him. Makes being exiled worth it." He grinned boyishly.

"You've done it more than once?"

"Oh, repeatedly. He never knows when I'll pop out. Being a soul inside someone is a game of power. It gives access to all their secrets. Knowing I could emerge at any time and ruin his plots gives me a levy I can use to negotiate privileges from him.”

"How do you do it?"

"I'd better teach you, because if you're in this cell block you'll end needing it. I taught this to Fathis before Malan took his soul."

Jak used animated gestures to emphasize his explanation. "Willpower stays with the soul. Want him to do something with powerful intensity, and you'll temporarily control his body. I like embarrassing him. I've made him pick his nose or wet himself in public just for fun, you know? But someone with greater willpower than his could actually take over permanently."

"What kind of privileges do you negotiate?"

"Time in control of his body. The ability to want to do something and be able to."

"You aren't afraid to enrage him, why?"

"Because it makes me feel alive to be able to stick it to him. Whenever he is through impersonating me, I'm dead. May as well get some digs in if I can, you know?"

"If we ever get out of here, I would like to offer you a position in my organization. I like your attitude, and could use someone with your skills."

Jak beamed momentarily, then gave an engaging grin before launching back into his endless chatter.

"Malan will need me once he gets Amiela back. She preferred my face to his." He cupped his hand around his mouth and lowered his voice as if divulging a secret. "Even in their lair she wanted him to keep impersonating me."

Foxy barked out a laugh. "I'd say that didn't go over well."

"No it didn't, but Malan does anything she demands. Amiela is his weakness."

Foxy's ears perked up at that. "Do you know anymore of his weaknesses?"

"Do I ever!" Jak launched into a non-stop list.

Jak was an unbelievable source of information on Malan. Foxy would definitely rescue the youth, and hire him if he was willing.

The interrogation area was magically sealed and inaccessible, but climbing the vent Foxy easily found that entrance into Malan's palace and began a systematic exploration.

******* Sir Damien "Foxy" Reynard Today:

An instinctive inner warning of danger raised the hair on the back of his neck, and was all the notice Foxy got that Malan was coming back. A glance toward the Imperial City confirmed it. A dark shape hovered in the sky, growing larger in the span of his glimpse. Malan was flying rapidly toward Theryon.

Malan may have intercepted the coded message he'd stuffed in Maxical's pocket earlier, he'd be coming to kill him.

Foxy gripped the stone adjunct tightly, swinging himself around its jutting facing and throwing himself down the air vent in one swift movement just as the distant sound of flapping wings reached his ears.

Foxy shoved his arms and legs with force against the shaft's curved walls when he reached the opening into the cave system that housed the prison. His momentum was stopped just enough to break his fall before dropping out of the tubular shaft.

He shot down the corridor of cells past the zombie-like silent Fathis and gave a hurried signal to Jak as he passed. Jak immediately slid his hands into his shackles. Foxy skidded into his own cell, carefully closing himself back in so the latch only clicked instead of the loud clang it would have made.

He had barely slipped his arms into the dangling shackles and slumped down to look weakened and emaciated when Malan flew in, his bird form's hawkish eyes darting around at the inmates before a cloud of vapor concealed him. An angry Malan stepped out of the mist and hurried straight into Fathis's cell.

Foxy steeled himself for action, not sure if Malan intended to kill Fathis. The muscles of his legs coiled, ready to spring into movement, and he shifted his arms so he appeared to be hanging off the chain shackles.

Malan was berating Fathis, and did threaten to kill him numerous times; but as Foxy warily watched what Malan was doing to Fathis, Jak caught his eye and exchanged a quick glance that said more than words could have. The shackled hand closest to Foxy had the thumb raised. Whatever Malan was doing was good news.

Foxy was stunned and relieved to see Fathis's legs begin moving for the first time since he'd been moved onto this cell block. Malan must be putting Fathis's soul back.

ghastley
The part I've been waiting for! For a long time. It's always been apparent that Fathis, Foxy, and now it appears Jak, are going to be the catalyst that allows Maxical to become what she needs to be.

Great detail, and character-building for Jak, too. We've only just met the real thing, and we like him already.

Now all we need is more frequent updates. tongue.gif

Elisabeth Hollow
I like Jak, lol. A handsome thief with a way with the ladies? Oooh, be still my heart!!

Not to mention...wow, he helped Fathis save Maxical, teaching him how to overpower Malan briefly. Go Jakben!!

It was cool to see the POV from the long-missed Foxy!!
King Coin
These cells really made me think of the ruins with their cages and gas traps. I know this is different, but I still liked that reminder it gave me.

Is the prison where Malan keeps the souls he has taken?

Foxy’s cercumstances are very interesting. Is this some plan, or has Malan lost track?

Here’s the real Jak. He seems happy to have someone to talk to. How long has he been chained up in there? Sounds like Jak is exactly what they need to bring Malan down.

Foxy was stunned and relieved to see Fathis's legs begin moving for the first time since he'd been moved onto this cell block. Malan must be putting Fathis's soul back.
ohmy.gif

Must have been after Fathis chained Amiela
King Of Beasts
"Willpower stays with the soul. Want him to do something with powerful intensity, and you'll temporarily control his body. I like embarrassing him. I've made him pick his nose or wet himself in public just for fun, you know?

rollinglaugh.gif

Hell, I think we can all agree that Malan deserves this!

Is Malan aware that the only thing keeping Jak from escaping is that he cant fly....

Malan must be putting Fathis's soul back.

What?! blink.gif

Nice to see you updating again mALX! happy.gif
Acadian
Welcome back! I’m still missing Maxical, but Foxy and Jak will have to do for now.

How terrifying, being trapped inside a giant soul gem – and your descriptions via Foxy were chilling here.

Jak is such a talker! I’m surprised Foxy would consider such loose lips for his organization. And I imagine Jak would make quite the snack for Eyja! Jak was certainly invaluable for now however. Loved the touch of humor as Jak confessed to making Malan wet himself and such. evillol.gif

Quite the image as Malan came flying back to his lair and Foxy dove back for his cell. ohmy.gif

Hmm, putting Fathis’ soul back. To me, that means that Malan won’t risk Fathis being able to ‘take control’ of Malan’s actions again. Unfortunately, once Fathis’ soul is returned, will Fathis become expendable? I am hoping that the newly formed Jak and Foxy team may be able to intercede on Fathis’ behalf.
Grits
Oh this chapter was SO worth the wait!! I absolutely loved the whole thing. Poor Jak chattering away after three centuries in the thrall factory. blink.gif

The whole part where Foxy was racing Malan in bird form to get back unto his cell was quite a rush!

What a relief that Malan is putting Fathis back, but also a whole new source of concerns. Very exciting! I loved this part!!
McBadgere
biggrin.gif ...Pure awesomeness!!... biggrin.gif ...

I absolutely love Jak!!...Which isn't easy for me to say about a vampire, as you know... biggrin.gif ...*Raises eyebrow*...

Aaaamywho...

Such a brilliant episode, loved the way that Imbel kept just spilling all the secrets out, I'm surprised that Foxy didn't tell him to wait while he found a pen!!... biggrin.gif ...

Wonderful to have you writing again...

Brilliant stuff...

Amazing!!...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
Winter Wolf
Oh, mALX, I just logged on today and read your update. My mind and heart is clouded with emotion for you and your family. I still remember our conversation from last year. It now drives me to get outside, go for a walk and some thinking time.

Thumbs up from me to get back on the horse and continue writing. I always remember what Morrison wrote- 'Words got me the wound, and will get me well, if you believe it.' I have felt that part of my health issues over the last two years is that I have forgotten who I am. My own writing has grinded to a halt and that is really at the core of the problem.

I do not know if your realize it, but your writing has always been remedial to me. Thank you for sharing it.

I feel sorry for poor old Foxy, trapped inside that soul gem, seeing the world through a kaleidoscope where nothing seems to make sense. Tapping into human emotion and longing has always been the hallmark of your writing.

Darkness Eternal
Welcome back to the story, mALX. We missed you and we're glad you returned to us. Good to know you're feeling better smile.gif

Woah! So that's how staying inside of a black soul gem looks like! It looks pretty awesome, but the experince must be terrible I reckon. So we see the real Jakben and naked Fathis, both doomed inside of the gem. But Jakben sure has a mouth on him, doesn't he? But I like him. He's quite charming and humorous with his nose-picking pranks and making others wet themselves laugh.gif. Maybe Malan can do some self-defecating too, eh? tongue.gif

Time was endless in this tomb of a cell. No daylight penetrated the thick stone to measure its passing. Malan had thought of everything, it was as if this cell had been created with Foxy in mind. The shackles that held him had a magical seal that could not be picked, not in this cell where the magic was absorbed before it could even be tapped.

Eternity inside a giant prison floating in the cosmos of space . . . Not fun at all. Malan's such a jerk to toss in folks in there.

So Malan is going to put Fathis' soul back? This only makes things interesting. Can't wait to see what Maxical thinks of all this. It must be terryfing to see Malan fly at full speed! Good descriptions here, and overall a wonderful update. I liked that you revisited other characters too, offering us a good vantage point!
mALX

@ Ghastley - Thank you so very much Ghastley! I am so glad Jak's likability came across, lol. Yes, on everything you said, and I am sorry about the updates being every two months. Just going through some rough times lately - Thank you so much Ghastley!

@ Elisabeth Hollow - Thank you so very much Liz! Aw, what a nice comment! Jak is def a heartthrob, lol. I'll have to post some pictures of him when he arrives. <3 Thanks so much again Liz!

@ King Coin - Thank you so very much KC! You hit the nail on the head for what I was going for, but a much more potent gas. Everything with Malan is a plan; and all the souls are inside Malan.

The prison is where he keeps the body's of men he is impersonating. Jak has been Malan's prisoner for about three centuries. And yes, you are exactly right; Malan is putting Fathis's soul back because he doesn't trust him not to take control of his body again at this crucial time when he is this close to seizing the throne. All this is taking place after Fathis saved Maxical's life and Amiela was hauled to prison. Thank you so much again, KC!

@ King of Beasts - Thank you so very much Kobby! ROFL !!! I think it was DE that hoped he could be made to crap his pants as well, ROFL! Malan has no idea Jak and his prisoners wander free in his absence, lol. After centuries of Jak being (a thrall or alone on that tier of the dungeon), Malan slipped a bit on his security. When Fathis saved Maxical, Malan realized Jak couldn't be trusted. That jail won't be left unguarded again as long as anyone with their soul intact is in it. Thank you so much Kobby !!!

@ Acadian - Thank you so very much Acadian! How kind you are to say that! You know what I was going through when that chapter was written, so it is music to my ears to hear that dungeon and Malan's flight/Foxy's run to the cell came across as I hoped!

Jak was lively and fun to write, kind of took over and wrote himself, lol.

On Fathis being expandable once his soul is returned - no. Fathis's soul is too powerful for Malan to pass up. If he ever was to kill him, it would be while he (Malan) had his soul. (but Malan has plans for Fathis, he won't kill him).

1. Fathis is a highly respected Court Mage with the highest security clearance
2. Fathis is highly accepted even by the working class that despise him for his wealth.
3. Malan never changes his plans, if something happens to mess him up he just finds workarounds and keeps the same old plan going (a weakness which Maxical realized, it makes Malan's next moves predictable). Maxical already figured out Malan's plan for Fathis that night Malan attacked her and Janus in the Temple of the One - He is going to use Fathis's body when he takes the throne.

Thank you so very much again, Acadian !!!!! <3

@ Grits - Thank you so very much Grits! I needed to hear these kind words, it took me two months to squeeze that chapter out, ROFL !!! (And today's too, lol). It means a lot to hear those parts came out well, I can't tell you how many times I had to scrap those and start them over, lol. Thank you so very much again, Grits !!!

@ McBadgere - Thank you so very much McB! Now YOU made my day on this comment below, McB !!! :

I absolutely love Jak!!...Which isn't easy for me to say about a vampire as you know...

I know how much you hate vampires, that was AWESOME to hear you say that !!! I liked him too, he kind of took over the keyboard on me, lol. Your kind words mean tons to me, McB; thank you so very much!

@ Winter Wolf - Thank you so very much Wolfie !!! The surprise of seeing you on here, and then reading your kind words - you had me bawling here. I miss you so much, miss your writing and your beloved assassin Aradroth. Dear gods it felt good to read this, to know you are healing up so maybe you will come home to us again. You are so missed, so loved. it was so wonderful to see you again, hear you; how wonderful it would be to read your writing again.

I lost my Mother in May, and as you see I have not been writing much myself since. I was kind of shut off from talking with anyone much through June - too raw.

My mother loved Maxical, used to push me to get chapters written. Losing her inspiration knocked my feet out from under me as far as writing goes. I hope it comes back, I do agree with your that when the writing grinds to a halt it saps the parts of us we love best, the parts that feed our energies and drive us to strive and achieve.

I can't begin to tell you how much your words meant to me. You are a treasured friend, regardless of the time that passes between visits; but you are always missed in the gaps between. Thank you so very much, Winter Wolf. <333 You ROCK !!!!

@ Darkness Eternal - Thank you so very much for the warm welcome back DE! ! I am feeling better, and it is friends like you who got me over the toughest patches of the roughest months of my life.

I always wondered what it would be like to be inside a soul gem looking out, Maxical was in one in the first story, now Foxy, lol. Must be a theme of mine I don't realize or something, lol.

You had me rolling in your comment, especially the "self-defecating," ROFL !!! Does Jak remind you of anyone in particular with his pranks and mischief (and ever-running mouth)? Lol. (Maxical).

Thank you so much for what you said about Malan flying at full speed - that meant a lot to hear, I hoped it would feel like a juggernaut bearing down at such speed he barely had time to run the short distance to the cell. I'm so glad it came across that way. Thank you so very much again, DE, and for all your support this past year.

@ EVERYONE - It has been a very rough year for me, the loss of my Mother. I couldn't have made it through without friends like you all. I am still not back 100%, but am feeling much better than I was, and I give the credit for that to my friends on here that helped with kind words; listening ears; and hugs, even if they are just emoticon ones. You all are the best !!! I can never thank you enough for all the support you gave me.

Although I plan to backtrack over and cover some of the previous chapters in each chapter, for anyone that wants or needs it, here is a brief update:

Previous Chapters Update:

* Malan removed Amiela's soul from Maxical and hid the soul inside Evangeline. Maxical suspected he had done it because she saw Malan's guard posted outside her door. She warned Uriel.

* Uriel drew up orders vacating Evangeline's post and removing her from the Palace. He told Maxical to find the Recall marker in her room and dispose of it.

* Maxical found the Recall marker and buried it at the bottom of a cow manure pit.

* Malan is learning, he removed his guard on Evangeline's door. Since there was no guard, Maxical thought it was Evangeline and proceeded to brag and exaggerate about her first sexual experience, telling her about mating with Malan. She then proceeded to discuss the Earl of Imbel's sex life with who she thought was Evangeline. Of course, Amiela knew the Earl of Imbel was Malan in disguise, so was doubly livid. She flew into a rage.

* Janus, Hannibal Traven, and (unbeknownst to Maxical) the Earl of Imbel (who technically is Malan in disguise) enter the Palace in time to become party to Amiela/Evangeline's rage. The guards are called.

* Maxical serves Uriel's orders on Evangeline and has her hauled away, but not before Amiela (who is now in full control of Evangeline's body) tries to kill Maxical.

* Fathis's soul temporarily takes control of Malan's body and saves Maxical's life. Malan is livid, and a bit frightened when he has a struggle getting control of his body back from Fathis.

* Malan does not follow Amiela's soul because he wants to plant another Recall marker in the Royal Quarters.

* Between Maxical and Janus, Malan learns Uriel's plots against him:

1. Since Janus and Malan are split-aparts, Janus can allow/give permission to another vampire to enter Malan's lair just as if he was Malan. Uriel wants to bring Greywyn Blenwyth into the Royal Quarters to establish their lair / hijack Malan's lair; thereby blocking Malan from the lair HE had established there.

(Maxical wants it to be Fathis, so does Uriel - he only said Greywyn Blenwyth to make Maxical angry enough to get off her butt and rescue Fathis - she thinks better when angry, and it gave her an incentive to do it herself or pressure Janus into acting for her).

2. Uriel set a trap at the Imperial Prison for when Malan followed Amiela's soul (inside Evangeline) there to remove it (since Evangeline could no longer enter the Palace or take him straight into power, Malan would want that soul inside someone else right away).

* On learning of these plots against him, Malan realizes he needs to step back and regroup, do a workaround on his own plots. He hates Maxical too much to fool her by feigning love, and needs to get rid of Fathis's soul before it blows everything with him this close to obtaining the Throne. He decides to send the real (and charming) Springheel Jak in for two weeks, hoping Uriel will think his plot failed and remove the trap around Evangeline/Amiela's soul.

* Malan doesn't trust Fathis and Foxy being alone together, even bound in chains and locked in magic inhibiting spells. He orders his army back there to guard the prisoners.

* Maxical tried to beg and plead, shame and coerce, etc Janus into keeping his vow to rescue Fathis. When he refused she sank to threatening him with his Diplomatic Immunity and Seat as Count Skingrad. She went back to protect and brief Uriel on the events.

She barred Janus from the Royal Quarters till he brings back Fathis, leaving him down there with ( "some handsome friend of Janus's," who unbeknownst to Maxical is the Earl of Imbel, who unbeknownst to everyone is Malan).

* Malan (who Janus thinks is his good friend Jakben Imbel) tricked Janus into swearing the rights to Maxical over to him. (doesn't matter, since he plans to have Amiela kill Maxical).

Some screens of Foxy:

In jail:

http://www.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/...94166468458.jpg

With sword:

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/...tos/1615312.jpg

mALX

*** D. Foxy has graciously approved the use of his characters Damien "Foxy" Reynard and to the cameo mention of his character Sneakers in this episode. *Approved!

Chapter 205: Foxy and Fathis Escape

******* Sir Damien "Foxy" Reynard

The sound was so subtle Foxy couldn't be positive he'd heard anything behind the clanging of chains as Malan jerked Fathis's shackles taut, but it was there; a current as intangible as the air itself, like a heart pumping or blood rushing in your veins. The persistence of it is what caught Damien's attention. It was growing increasingly louder, ambient and alive.

Whatever Fathis had done, Malan was in a rage from it. Fathis's back was drawn against the black stone wall too tightly to move. He'd not be able to free himself without help.

The chances were great Malan would check Damien's shackles and cell next, and discover they'd been tampered with. He'd be cinched just as tightly as Fathis, and there'd be no escape for either of them.

Outside the prison the noise had become discernible now, the thrusting of thousands of expansive wings beating the air. Malan's army. In seconds the gaping archway to the sky darkened, the stars and moons blackened as it filled with the huge birds.

They began landing in groups, shimmering into vapors out of which glowing red devoid eyes in expressionless blank masks of faces emerged. Soulless vampire thralls mutely flooding the cellblock corridor.

There wasn't room to see, to breathe. No way to move or escape through the massive sea of them. At least a hundred of them entered, and outside the continuous beating of wings heralded thousands more.

"She'll die while you watch for what you've done." Malan's deep voice echoed down the cellblock along with the sound of magic as he sealed Fathis's shackles and cell door.

In a sudden surge the army converged on Foxy's cell with lightning speed; Jak's words confirmed. They were thralls.

The army's giant forms blocked his view as Foxy prepared for Malan to enter the cell; coiling tightly against the shackles ready for rapid movement.

The gases hissed their poison into the air around him. Foxy held his breath and slumped his head as if succumbing. To his surprise, Malan stopped the gases after only a few minutes. His eyes were mere slits trained on the cell door for Malan to enter, waiting. Instead his peripheral vision caught movement coming from his left the split second before a hollowed dart pierced the vein in his neck.

There was an immediate stinging and acidic burning at the site that began creeping up the vein with the flow of blood.

Foxy didn't have to guess what poison the dart contained, Jak had already warned him. This cellblock was for thralls and vampires only, Malan intended to make him one or the other or he wouldn't be here. It would contain Malan's blood.

The army held their post on his cell, but he heard as Malan entered Jak's cell next; their voices low whispers that barely reached his cell. The words "Two weeks with Maxical," followed by threats if Jak tried any tricks.

Through a minute gap in the crook of one thrall's arm Foxy saw Jak's hand pound his chest and then raise in a vow. Malan was speaking an ancient language as he pressed his body against Jak's, ramming him against the stone wall behind him. He kissed him full on the mouth, cramming his head backwards with the force of it.

After all his warnings to Foxy, Jak was letting Malan take his soul. Foxy's initial horror and reaction to defend Jak was stilled by Malan's words. Jak was not afraid of Malan's threats, he was tricky and knew his time was running out. The lad was plucky. He would protect Maxical from Malan, Foxy was fairly sure of that. More importantly, Foxy would have an ally inside Malan. Jak may help bring Malan down. And now he knew exactly where Malan would be for two weeks.

Malan never approached Foxy's cell, in fact left so quickly after taking Jak's soul that Foxy felt the urgency of it; and the relief that he hadn't checked the magic seal on his shackles or cell bars.

Malan's army left with him, another relief. They may be just escorting Malan to the Palace and returning though; Foxy didn't waste a second waiting to find out. The window to escape was now, and may not come again.

Foxy immediately slipped his shackles and pulled the dart from his neck. The taint and power of Malan's blood could already be felt coursing through his veins. He slid his hand through the hair over his ear and removed the wire filament Jak had given him as he ran toward Fathis’s cell.

Fathis urged him to hurry. “Malan gave orders; his army returns to guard us, we must away before they do. Malan will be alerted if we are free within this area or attack them, but they’ll not notice our absence from the cells if we leave before they arrive. ”

Foxy moved rapidly to disable the seal on the cell door and pick the lock, answering Fathis in surprise as he worked.

“They will guard an empty cell?“

“Aye, it’s truth. Malan sets them to guard a place, not the person.”

“That is a good piece of information there, Fathis. Unless you know another way, I’ll have to ride on you as you fly. I weigh sixteen stone, can you carry my weight?”

“Nae, your weight is greater than mine in man’s form. Malan can carry as much, but few others could. A Feather spell would lighten you, but not last even to the ground below Theryon. Once in bird form I’ll be unable to cast again, and don‘t believe you‘ll be able to in flight either. We’d not survive the fall.“

Foxy pushed the cell door open and hurried in, immediately setting to unsealing and picking the shackle's locks on Fathis's ankles and wrists.

“There is a laboratory inside the palace above this prison tier, can you mix a potion quickly? It has enchanting and spell altars as well.“

Fathis shook his head. “Nae, ancients can’t cross into another’s lair. You'll have to do it. Better to enchant clothing if there are soul gems, no chance the spell will wear off in flight.”

Foxy glanced up at Fathis. “How did Malan get Maxical here?”

“Recall spells. He has markers in his bedroom here and one was set up in the Royal Quarters.“

Foxy‘s head spun toward him. “Do you know where he keeps them?“

Fathis nodded. “In his library.” He began describing how to reach it, and Foxy waved him to stop.

“I’ve been doing a systematic search of the whole lair.“ He tapped one finger to his temple. “Memorizing it till I could log it. I’ll need that Recall to come back for Sneakers and Jak.”

Foxy paused and glanced back up at Fathis. “Hold, you said one marker was set up in the Royal Quarters, what did you mean by was? Is it no longer there?”

“Aye, moved. Ma'Thjizzrini Qa found it. She set it up in the bottom of a cow manure pit. Malan was swimming in dung, and burning in the sunlight.”

Foxy snorted. “Good for her.“ He slid the wire filament into the lock of the shackles and let go. “Watch yourself, slight shock coming.“

He cast a low shock to short out the seal on them, then picked the lock with the filament.

“Prepare; another shock. When you are free, boost me up to that vent. I‘ll climb up and meet you on wall up top.”

The last shackle fell. Fathis shook himself free of them and hurried to the air vent, cupping his hands for Foxy‘s foot. He heaved Foxy with force, nearly propelling him into the shaft.

Foxy was surprised at the strength he was pushed up with. Jak had barely been able to lift him. Fathis answered his unspoken question.

“The strength comes with Malan’s ancient vampire line. It is tremendously powerful. Jak’s line is considerably lower in abilities and strength.”

Fathis raised his arms and was instantly surrounded by vapor. No bird appeared, the vapor just moved out through the gaping arch in the black stone that Malan had entered through earlier. Foxy hurried to the top, then slid along the wall till he saw the vapor floating in front of him. Fathis materialized before him.

“Can you hide your vampire features?”

“Aye.“ Fathis immediately cast illusion to cover his vampire features. “It is a relief to be in possession of my magic again.”

Foxy indicated Fathis‘s nude state and his own. “We’ll need that clothing. Let us hope he has the soul gems needed to counter my weight with Feather enchantment; and some Mandrake Root as well. I don‘t relish the idea of joining his vampire line.”

Fathis nodded his understanding. “Nor did I. He’ll have no Mandrake, nor cure of disease; not anywhere on Theryon. I can conjure armor or clothing for us to save time, though armor would increase our weight.”

Foxy shook his head. “No. We’ll need robes similar to those worn by the Royal Battlemages, and hoods to cover our faces.”

“In the laboratory where the enchanting altar is found, the schrank along the far wall.“ Fathis gripped his arm before continuing.

“When we are safely away there is much you’ll need to know before entering the Palace. Best I brief you before going in, as I’ll not be able to accompany you up. Malan’s lair blocks me from the Battlemages floor to the Royal Quarters. Uriel‘s chambers are still free of it, but may not be for long.”

Damien’s mouth drew into a grim line. Fathis would need some debriefing himself to cure that bloodlust before Foxy could consider him with the trust he would need for what was ahead.

“We’ll go first to my fortress southeast of the Imperial City and prepare. Take whatever measures you need to stay hidden while I am inside in case his army returns. There are trees and shrubs for cover along the garden wall, I’ll meet you there.”

As Foxy was leaving the library with the Recall scrolls he paused by Malan's desk, eyeing the parchment and inkwell. The temptation was too great to leave without mocking. Foxy drew a quick picture and note, leaving it on Malan's desk. He set markers in several places throughout Theryon, ensuring Malan would never find them all before Foxy could come back to rescue Sneakers and Jak.

Foxy's note to Malan:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/Ma...zps6724fc46.jpg

******* Maxical (From Chapter 201, Page 101)

Despite my rage at Janus for forcing me into the position of needing to do it, the guilt for threatening him that way was overwhelming. I may as well consider myself as cold and calculating as Malan now, he'd ended everything I ever knew about myself. I hated what I had become, and hated what had become of my life now.

Rage caused me to pound on Uriel's chamber door like the guards on a raid. Eyja unbolted it just in time for me to get a glimpse of Hannibal tottering toward Uriel to protect him.

Once again I was struck by the fear that Hannibal's heart had not withstood the shock of Mannimarco's return to Cyrodiil. The thought slid in an unbidden taunt that only Malan was capable of the kind of healing Hannibal would need, a man of his age with a failing heart. Eyja probably strained it beyond repair with her mating.

If anything ever happened to Hannibal, I didn't know how I'd stand it. Everyone I'd ever cared for seemed to be dropping from my ken, one after another as if the gods took turns plucking them away till I'd welcome Dagon for the death he'd bring to ease the ache of it.

It was with too much vigor that I slammed the door, it crashed loudly against the steel frame. If the bolt were less sturdy I may have broken it by the force I threw it across with. I turned back to see six stunned eyes staring at me.

"Uh...sorry. Hannibal, will you stand guard for my debriefing?" I hurried to the vault. Uriel and Eyja both grabbed parchment pads and quills and followed. Eyja sealed the door as I started briefing Uriel on the situation below floors.

“It was Amiela, she'd completely taken over Evangeline's body. She was to marry Malan within the hour. You would have been sacrificed, Sire. That's all he waited for was Amiela by his side to move on the Throne. Malan came in the same time Hannibal did."

I handed Uriel the orders vacating Evangeline's post. "Very good thing I had these orders, Sire. The guards were afraid to move against Evangeline without them. On your behalf I ordered the Palace sealed, all stations manned and a high alert status. She's being hauled to the Imperial Prison under full watch."

"What of Malan, did he follow Evangeline out?"

"No. I was sure he would, to remove Amiela's soul from her; but I believe he remained here to plant another Recall marker in the Royal Quarters. In vapor form there is no way to keep him out." I turned to Eyja quickly.

"You'll need your men to grid off the Royal Quarters and sweep for Recall markers constantly. Have them keep a fire lit in Ocato's suite at all times. Any markers found need to be thrown in the large fireplace; not Ocato's."

Uriel shot me an approving look, and for the first time since realizing Malan was moving on the Throne I felt the relief of it and breathed out in a long exhale. Uriel had survived Malan's first siege on the Palace. I hadn't failed him.

King Of Beasts
It's nice to see you writing again mALX!!! And I'm glad you feel better happy.gif

That note....rollinglaugh.gif

Despite my rage at Janus for forcing me into the position of needing to do it, the guilt for threatening him that way was overwhelming. I may as well consider myself as cold and calculating as Malan now, he'd ended everything I ever knew about myself. I hated what I had become, and hated what had become of my life now.

Poor Maxical. This war has put her through a lot, huh? kvleft.gif
Grits
What a delight to find Maxical’s story at the top of the page this morning! I loved every second of Foxy’s and Fathis’ breathless escape. Foxy’s note made me laugh.

If anything ever happened to Hannibal, I didn't know how I'd stand it. Everyone I'd ever cared for seemed to be dropping from my ken, one after another as if the gods took turns plucking them away till I'd welcome Dagon for the death he'd bring to ease the ache of it.

Just heartbreaking.

Uriel shot me an approving look, and for the first time since realizing Malan was moving on the Throne I felt the relief of it and breathed out in a long exhale. Uriel had survived Malan's first siege on the Palace. I hadn't failed him.

This made me want to cheer for Maxical. What an awesome end to a fantastic chapter!

It’s so great to have this update to read! smile.gif
Elisabeth Hollow
I'm seeing the potential for Jakben becoming a favorite character of mine. Which means he dies, lol.

Let's hope that Jak can unite a few souls inside Malan and make his life a living hell while he tries to make Maxical's a nightmare.

I really like how Damien (LOVE the name, btw the way! -elbow elbow treydog-) was able to fool a rushed Malan into thinking he'd succumbed to the gasses.

It's nice to see Fathis isn't going all fangy on Foxy. I really hope they find a way out soon and show Maxical that her husband is alive! A vampire, but, alive!
ghastley
You've been bottling it up and it shows. Awesome splurge!!!
Acadian
A warm welcome back to you, mALX!

What a spooky return of Malan and his winged army of giant vampires - terrifyingly ominous, and painted just as clearly as a movie scene. Then a real sense of urgency as Foxy and Fathis work the details of their escape. Enchanting some feather gear and riding on the back of a winged vampire to safety – what could possibly go wrong? tongue.gif

Foxy’s ‘bye bye’ drawing was hilarious!

Nits:
- ’Outside the prison the noise had become discernable now,’ - - discernible.
- ‘The gasses hissed their poison into the air around him. Foxy held his breath and slumped his head as if succumbing. To his surprise, Malan stopped the gases after only a few minutes.’ - - gasses or gases? You used both in the same passage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.