Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A New Sun Rises - Maxical's Adventures
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > Fan Fiction
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
mALX
QUOTE(D.Foxy @ Feb 7 2011, 11:33 AM) *

Hmmpf! Well, he pulled his Man-a-tee so hard it became a Man-a-DONG!!!

Meh meh meh!!!

tongue.gif

Wait! Wouldn't that be "Mast-a-dong?"
King Coin
Finally caught up! And I think that Fathis is going to be disappointed in the near future.
Grits
QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 6 2011, 03:51 PM) *

Not to mention my notoriously poor eyesight which on one occasion caused me to inadvertantly post a pic of a man on SubRosa's thread ... lets just say that ... "IT" ... was not the "pattern of his pants or a tatoo" in his nether regions as it appeared when I looked at it.

Tatoo?! blink.gif I hate that I missed it!! laugh.gif
Destri Melarg
I was going to wait until I was totally caught up to do this, but I just cant. A force beyond reason has moved me to the keyboard.

Chapter 88:

Vicentes handling of Agronak was sensational! You manage to convey the level of contempt that Vicente must feel for the Orc even while he remains obsequious. That is not an easy thing to do. For his part Agronak remains one of your most inspired creations. I am left to wonder, what did Agronak do in your game that left you with such a negative opinion of him?

And only you could find a way to incorporate Spanish idiom (that loco Orc), Anglo-Saxon idiom (his loony father), and Semitic idiom (the schmoozing worked) in a single section set in the Elder Scrolls universe! From anyone else such fast and loose treatment of setting and language would bury the needle on the BS meter. Only you could make it seem like it actually belongs in the story, like Vicente would think in such terms.

Chapter 89 & 90:

Thats an image I didnt need stuck in my head, especially at this time of the morning.

Amen to that!!
Id better eventually learn whats going on here.

I think that Jack is speaking for all of us!

Okay Ive read both the chapters and all the comments that followed them (especially TKs), and I just have to say that I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!! Now let me preface these comments by saying that the scene in which Maxical is started is some of the most emotional and arresting writing that you have done so far. It is no wonder that these two chapters reduced so many of us to blithering idiots . . . theyre that good! Dont change a word!

With that said [beginning of rant], I have to take the contrarians view and point out that Maxical didnt choose Gils. Gils BRIBED Owyn to lure Maxical back into his embrace knowing how close he was to starting her. In that way he shows himself as being just as manipulative as Fathis. nono.gif Hell, a horny kitty (especially one with Maxicals lack of experience) would of course have a problem differentiating between love and lust. Both of the men in Maxicals life have used her inexperience to manipulate her to suit their own ends, and they have done so with no regard to her feelings on the subject. Was Anvil so long ago that Maxical has forgotten Gils true priorities? Even after he starts her he wines because she still has to break things off with Fathis, and acts indignant when faced with the reality that Maxical might still wish to wear the glass armor that Fathis gave her. Its GLASS ARMOR fer cryin out loud!! tongue.gif

Speaking of Fathis . . . he may be in thrall to an ancient vampire, but now that he knows this he has chosen to manipulate Maxical rather than be honest with her! After he weds her in the most duplicitous way imaginable, he has the gall to dictate wifely duties to her through A LETTER for Dibellas sake! All in some nefarious plot to lure her into the presence of the very vampire that holds him in thrall (Now I admit that I haven't finished reading yet, and that there are probably events on my horizon that will render this rant moot. All I can say against that time is that these are my impressions right now, and I am sure they may be subject to change). It seems very much like both Fathis and Gils see her as the prize to be won, if for no other reason than to spite each other.

My fondest wish is that Maxical finally comes out of her stupor and realizes that she is far more powerful than either of these two cowards! She should tell them both to go to Oblivion because, unlike Rachel, I think that the vampires would be an improvement! [end of rant]

See what youve done? You get me so worked up over these characters that reason (and brevity) fly out of the window! I cant think of a better compliment than that. wink.gif

Now I have to finish catching up! Bravo mALX!
mALX
@ Foxy - Thank you so much - and thank goodness you are back!!! I have missed your dherty in-you-endo!!!

@ King Coin - Thank you so much King Coin !! It tickles me to see you over here too, and thank you so much for stopping by my story and letting me know what you thought!! You've read through them both now, that is a ton of reading, lol. I hope you like this one as well, and you are greatly appreciated!!

@ Grits - Oh, it was baaad. I never knew till I held the magnifying glass up and then it was like ... GAAAAH !!! Thank you so much Grits !!!

@ Destri - YOU'RE BACK !!!! WOOOOOT !!!! ** mALX's head popped off and blew around the room!!! Thank you so much Destri - you have been MISSED !!!
mALX

** Please note that the sections italicized are what Maxical is thinking to herself. As Janus can read minds, these places are what he is hearing.

Chapter 92: Promises in the Dark - Part I

Leaning my head closer to the Immortal, I spoke softly. “This cannot get out or my life would be forfeit in the Arena, and the Khajiit over there is the press. I have a blockage of some kind and can‘t heal through the methods taught at the Arcane. Hannibal wanted me to learn an alternative method for my own protection.”

“How high is your magicka?”

“Tremendously high. I can cast destruction…well…did you hear about the Arena being blown up?”

He nodded.

“Well that was an accident. But that spell is rarely able to be cast even by masters due to its high magicka usage. I can cast it many times over and still have reserve magicka. Unfortunately the disorder causes increased damage and an inability to aim, so I have had a few…mishaps. Hannibal may have told you I blew up the Arcane as well.”

“That was you?”

Every word he spoke caused a light-headed pleasant feeling as if his breath were magic. His voice seemed to stroke over me and I felt a purring beginning inside me.

“Er…yes. Hannibal said you use a different method to heal, could you teach me?”

“Yes; though not here. Perhaps another time, under more private circumstance?”

“Thank you, I would greatly appreciate it.”

“Most mages go on to work in the guilds after graduation, what caused you to choose the Arena? You appear quite petite for this line of work, can you even ply that longsword you carry?”

“Oh, I’m no mage, and I‘ve wielded this longsword since I was twelve. The Legion has qualified me to teach Blade…it‘s the only thing I do well.“

“You’re a Blademaster? But the Arcane…”

“The Arcane only graduated me because Fathis paid for my schooling…and they needed to push me out or the campus would not be standing much longer.”

“Dear gods, I remember Traven’s ranting…Daedra turned loose on campus, the windows of the tower shattered, a horse in his bedroom…that was you?”

“Actually, the conjuring of hostile Daedra is part of the healing disorder…and the inability to aim.”

“And the horse in the bedroom?”

“Er…well…that was a scientific experiment to find out if they could ride the transporters. I had no idea it would frighten the beast into evacuating.”

He choked, but turned toward me quickly. “You are interested in scientific experimentation?”

My eyes lit with interest as I nodded. “I‘m a cat, we are always curious. Unfortunately…most of my experiments turn out like that one. I have been strongly encouraged to leave science to those whose abilities are more matched for the field.”

He turned toward me, his cowl watching my facial expressions as he began what sounded like a rehearsed speech; words measured out in lecture form complete with hand gestures. I gaped, stunned.

“Something I find particularly fascinating…Hermaeus Mora once said ‘The ultimate purpose of the Daedra Lords…deplorable character of mortals‘….danger of blaspheme…"

I barely listened to the words as he spoke, catching only occasional snatches of them. Was he lecturing me because he felt me beneath him? Should I be offended? He said Fathis is his good friend, would he talk down to me then? No…he wouldn‘t be rude deliberately. Is it possible he doesn’t know he is?

The melodic sound of his voice held my interest in spite of the lofty speech, but the last word caught my attention. I responded excitedly, interrupting him.

“Oh, the Acceptable Blasphemes! Hannibal and I used to debate them! Are you doing Mora first?”

The cowled head seemed frozen in place, but after a momentary pause he started over from the beginning again as if his rehearsed speech had to be spoken in its entirety. I bit my lip and listened quietly.

“Hermaeus Mora is said to be made of tossed out ideas…his realm…the draw of…” He raised his hand up, pointing a finger to the sky as if at a podium.

I turned in my seat to face away from him and barely whispered, “power;“ knowing it would have to be his next word. His speech ground to a halt again, his hand lowering slowly.

Oh no, I’ve interrupted his lecture again. He must have practiced it a lot, and those hand gestures too. I wish we could just discuss them instead of this rehearsed monologue. Still…it’s exciting to hear it in that Colovian accent. I wonder how he pronounces [censored]? All drawn out and elegant sounding, like … [ce..n..sor..ed] … ‘I find you a repulsive [ce..n..sor..ed]’... Wait! Maybe he’d say it more like … [cen..so..RED]. ‘Remove your hand from my cloak, you thieving [cen..so..RED]’! Oh! Or what about [censored], I’ll bet with his accent even that sounds elegant! ’Oh [ce..n..sor..ed], I seem to have misplaced my..’ … oh dear, is he choking?

“Er…do you need me to whack you?” He seemed to be gasping for air.

Is he overheated? His clothes look very heavy…

I watched fascinated in case he leaped up and began stripping them off. His hand was poised in front of the cowl to quell the choking; the sunlight glinted off his ring, catching my eye to the hand.

Strong hands…but soft; not hands that do labor, that’s sure. He must have servants.

Then my eye fell to the ring itself, a wide gold band with a raised platform and crest imprinted on it.

A signet ring? He is a Count? No wonder his identity must be kept secret! That’s an Imperial ring, his appointment must be in Cyrodiil! Not Terentius, I’ve met him. Oh! Umbranox! That would explain why he disappeared for thirty years!

The Immortal lowered his hand, tucking it under the folds of his cloak. “You said power?”

“I didn’t mean to interrupt your speech, I apologize.”

He signaled me to continue.

“Well, I’ve always been fascinated by the transporters at the Arcane. Hannibal said they were once tossed out ideas, scrapped as impossible. Can you imagine what science and technology one could find in Mora‘s realm…the power and wealth one could have?”

The Immortal cleared his throat before speaking, once again reverting to the rehearsed lecture complete with hand gestures.

“Hermaeus Mora is seen holding the paper to the light. One assumes this speaks of revelation rather than obsfucation, yet those who enter never leave…”

Did he just say [censored] in the middle of his speech? I’m sure I heard it. Is it a trick to see if I’m paying attention? Uh oh, he is choking again. He should remove that heavy cloak before he suffocates, maybe the suit as well. I wonder what Jack would do if he stripped to his drawers suddenly?

When the Immortal finally stopped choking he turned toward me, his cowl watching my face.

“I’d like to hear what you think about that.” He prompted me.

Uh oh, is this a test? Does he want to know what I think about Mora or what I think about him saying [censored] in the middle of his lecture? If I don’t mention that he’ll think I didn’t listen…

“Tell me what you believe that blaspheme means.”

“Oh…er…Well…I envision Hermaeus Mora’s realm as my room at home, always a mess. My mother goes in there seeking a letter I carried from school that she must answer. While in there she finds many items that she didn‘t know about. She spends days in there cleaning the room to see what else she can find. Do you blame me for owning the mess, or she who lost her focus?”

The Immortal’s voice perked with interest. “I see where you’re going with this; what kind of things?“

“The list is endless, I was grounded for weeks.”

His cowl spun toward me and stared before responding in a voice that sounded slightly suspicious.

“Why wouldn’t she just make you clean it yourself?”

I lowered my voice conspiratorially “Because the greed for forbidden knowledge is in all of us, even my mother. She had to know what else she would find...and for a while the fear was very real that she would never leave my room.”

“So you see Mora as naught but a doorman lighting a candle that we may see? What of his power?” He countered, his cowl watching me closely.

“He possesses the power already, it gains strength through the weakness of the mortals who seek it for themselves in his realm.”

“Your example isn’t workable, or you’d have power over your mother.“

“Who cleaned whose room for them?”

“But she grounded you.”

“In a clean room.”

He gasped. “That is Machiavellian; devious! Was there even a letter to begin with?”

“There was always a letter.”

“That’s right, I remember Traven’s ranting…but…”

“We had just finished studying Mora‘s realm, it was an experiment in theory.”

“But why? Didn’t you know she would ground you?”

“Yes, but my parents were extremely overprotective of me anyway. Where would I have gone otherwise? The why is obvious, she was insisting I clean it.”

The Immortal‘s voice quavered “Then you deliberately planted items to catch her interest?”

“Only a few things I found…‘tossed out‘…placed so they couldn’t be missed, but appearing as if the intent was that they be hidden.”

“Tossed out ideas…that is terrible! Corrupt! I hope they beat you well for that.”

“No, my father didn’t believe in squelching a child’s creativity by punishing them for misdeeds. My mother had to catch me before I reached my father, or no beating took place…and I am quite fast.”

“You’ve never been whipped?”

I shook my head no.

“Dear gods, I may have escaped far better than I knew in not reproducing.”

“You have no idea.”

“I was an only child too. My room was always neat, though; and I never remember misbehaving.” The edge of superiority was gone from his voice.

“You should have, it keeps parents on their toes.” I glanced into the cowl with a look of pure mischief.

“Dear gods, your parents probably should be canonized.”

“They can’t be, they still live. Er…why do you give prepared speeches in place of conversation?”

“No one usually voices opinions on the blasphemies when I bring them up.”

“I remember the first time I realized that something I found so fascinating was boring to everyone else. Their eyes would glaze over and they made a face like this…” I stuck my ears straight out to the sides and lowered my eyelids halfway. “Did you get that too?”

The Immortal chuckled, but his voice was serious when he answered. “Not that I noticed. I‘ve only recently realized the subject palled on others.”

“They may not have dared to offend you. With me they roll their eyes and make a face like Ocato’s. Except Hannibal, he enjoys it as I do.”

“I thought them abstract, a subject for discussion. You applied…proved them. Your understanding of them exceeds mine, my speech must have seemed…”

“Och, a lot of people underestimate cats. Our curiosity takes us places few would go. Can we do another one?”

“You choose this time.” He turned sideways in his seat to face me.

“Azura, the Rim of All Holes; the Tonguemaster.”

“Better choose another, I see that conversation going downhill fast.”

“You choose then.” I pulled my legs up into a cross under me so I was facing him too. The Immortal wouldn't be lecturing me anymore, now to see what he was really like.

He began speaking then; thoughts and ideas cascading as if a dam burst, and not just about the blasphemies. He was interested in everything, had a vast array of knowledge about any subject brought up. I was drawn in with full interest, and the god-like status he held in my mind submerged under the debates that followed each new subject.

Fathis chose the wrong term to describe him. There is nothing benign about this man. He is intriguing, touches on every sense within me; each facet a pleasing discovery. I have no doubt he could find some interesting aspect to discuss about crop rotation, or even rats. He is mesmerizing. I could talk to him forever and never pall of it.

I suddenly realized why talking to him felt like being with someone I’d known all my life; without the deep voice and accent, my eyes closed…it could be Hannibal and I discussing these things. They had known each other over fifty years; the Immortal was just eighteen years when they met according to Hannibal’s research notes. Nothing in them detailed a personal friendship, but I wondered if…like he did with me, Hannibal had inspired and mentored the Immortal in his youth; leading his interest to scientific research.

D.Foxy
Azura, the Rim of All Holes; the Tonguemaster.

"Ah...Hannibal, he enjoys it as I do. Can we do another one?

Butt she pounded you!

In a clean poon!

whistling.gif

Acadian
I saw the first section as distinctly different from the rest of this wonderful episode. I was smiling and quite tickled by it. Maxical at her very finest! I loved some of the clarification on her strengths and limitations.

The remainder of the episode was like a fantastical trip down the rabbit hole into mysteries and things not fully understood - I think that was your intent. Yes, fantastical and confusingly whimsical. The effect was quite neat indeed!

Here's what I did get though: It seems Maxical is quite drawn to Janus. It smells like some serious emotional confusion ahead for our kit.

What a fun read!!! tongue.gif
mALX
QUOTE(Acadian @ Feb 9 2011, 08:56 PM) *

I saw the first section as distinctly different from the rest of this wonderful episode. I was smiling and quite tickled by it. Maxical at her very finest! I loved some of the clarification on her strengths and limitations.

The remainder of the episode was like a fantastical trip down the rabbit hole into mysteries and things not fully understood - I think that was your intent. Yes, fantastical and confusingly whimsical. The effect was quite neat indeed!

Here's what I did get though: It seems Maxical is quite drawn to Janus. It smells like some serious emotional confusion ahead for our kit.

What a fun read!!! tongue.gif

*** Just to keep down any further confusion: The blasphemies are what Jak kept teasing Janus about using for conversation in trying to pick up women - now you see why Janus hasn't been laid except with prostitutes, lol.

I will quote Jak below to aid in memory, since it was quite a ways back:

Jak:
"I'll have Gemellus poison your food. You being immortal it won't kill you, but it will make you as sick as your amateur attempts at conversation are making me. You plan on trying to pick up women in this town with that inane drivel you call conversation? You won't get far."

Janus:
"I was not trying to pick you up, you have no idea what conversation I have."

Jak:
"Don't I? Prosing on and on about Daedric Lords and the blasphemies; may as well discuss crop rotation. Women don't want to hear that kind of thing. You've been out of the loop too long, Hassildor. You're going to flop on your face out there."

Janus:
"You have a point. It's been over fifty years...of course I've held conversations with Hal-Liurz and the prostitutes."

Jak:
"They're both paid to pretend interest, you can't use them as example."

Janus:
"You've had over 300 years experience, what is your approach with women you aren't acquainted with?"

Jak:

"Well I don't prose at them or debate scholarly subjects. That's your idea of a warm-up to romance, and the reason you have to pay them to listen."

Jak:
"You'll bore her to a coma before you feed on her, blathering on and on about the blasphemies and crop rotation...wait, maybe it's rat breeding you put people to sleep with at this time of year..."

Janus:
"It isn't about the rats breeding...in itself. It's a discussion of a scientific experiment based on rat libido..."

Jak:
"She'll welcome death then."

Janus tried to come across with a scholarly lecture - that is a put-down, like "you're too dumb to discuss this with me, so I will just tell you about it so you will realize how intelligent I am..." - which should probably have shown a lowly Khajiit from the Arena that he felt her beneath him.

- Instead by the end of the conversation, Maxical had the upper hand in the conversation and had worked it around to where she wanted it. - and shown Janus that even a dumb Khajiit can understand the blasphemies.

Janus being isolated as long as he was has left him socially challenged. First Jak manipulated him, and now Maxical just did too - (although her motive was just to get him to stop lecturing her, who knows what Jak's motives are).

Janus may be getting himself in WAY over his head, lol.

mALX
I edited the story this morning - hopefully what I was trying to get across is a little clearer now.

Maxical meeting the Immortal was (in her mind) like meeting a Daedric Lord or one of the gods.

Regardless of the fact that she thought it was the most exciting thing in her life to meet an Immortal - she was still insulted when he talked "AT" her instead of with her - so she kind of put him in his place. (showed him that even a dumb Khajiit in the Arena can understand the blasphemies)

At the end of the chapter, she compared him to talking to Hannibal (a friend). She has no romantic thoughts in her head toward him at all, just finds him interesting to talk to.

If these things did not come through in the story (as edited now) - please let me know and I will re-write this chapter.

Acadian
I just reread the story. After your explanation and edits, your intent comes through clearly now. I'm so sorry my comment caused you some concern - I truly loved the experience of reading this episode the first time through. I see now that I missed some of your intent however. Another example of my limited plot-following skills. tongue.gif

The edited version is now squarely in line with your comments and intent. And it remains thoroughly delightful! Well done, mALX and thank you for the extra effort you took to bring all this extra Maxical goodness to us! smile.gif

Lest it be lost in the shuffle, let me reiterate how very much I enjoyed the opening segment. I simply adored how you wove in a wonderful summary of Maxical's unique abilities and limitations. goodjob.gif
Grits
The part where Maxical was wondering how Janus would pronounce [censored]. laugh.gif

I read this chapter again, and its much clearer to me. The first time I did think Maxical was getting hot for Janus.

Now I remember the rat libido conversation, and Jak pretty much calling Janus a dork - I'm glad you reminded us. Sometimes what they say is so funny I have to go back and read it again, so I can think about why they said it. What a great chapter!!! smile.gif
mALX
@ Foxy - That line couldn't fail to draw your attention - Thank You so much Foxy !!! You are so missed when you go AWOL !!! You ROCK !!!

@ Acadian - Thank You so much Acadian !! I got lost in your fantastical rabbit hole comment, lol. GAAAAH!

I will say this - she was NOT interested in Janus, just enjoying talking to him. I hoped the last paragraph at the end of that chapter would have made it clear that she considered him like Hannibal, who is just a friend.

It is my fault if my story is misunderstood, so I did go back and edit, trying to clear up what I was (trying to get across). I hope it is a little easier understood now, and I apologize to anyone who found that chapter a tough nut to swallow.

There was no way IN the chapter to remind everyone that Janus's conversations with women were always about the blasphemies, crop rotation, and rat libido. - so I posted it afterwards when I saw the "Huh?" posting.

Thank you so much for giving me that heads up - for the support of your readership you are ALWAYS appreciated greatly - but especially when you give that support in spite of the chapter not coming across to you as it should. Thank You, Thank You Acadian !!! You are a good friend with a ton of class !!!

@ Grits - That part where she was going over in her mind how he may pronounce [honoured user] and [hamster] - those were my favorite parts in the whole chapter - thank you so much for noticing them !!

That last paragraph may have been more ambiguous than I thought, when Maxical compared him to Hannibal - (who is just a friend). I knew it was a subtle hint, but didn't realize it was unseeable, lol. I am so glad you re-read after the edit, it does make me feel better that the edits cleared up the problems.

This next chapter will leave no doubt in anyone's mind that she is NOT having the hots for Janus ... not in a good way, lol.

Again, Thank You so much, Grits!!! It means a lot that you read my story and enjoy it !!!
mALX

** Please note that the sections italicized are what Maxical is thinking to herself. As Janus (and the large bird) can both read minds, these places are what they are hearing.

Chapter 93: Promises in the Dark - Part II

“It is so rare to find someone who truly understands the implications of chaos…” The Immortal spoke almost to himself.

I choked on his wording. “Well, I actually have a first hand knowledge of that. Rarer yet that one who seeks to extinguish chaos finds himself sitting beside the one that causes most of it.”

“You have a point, I may be in danger of the sky tearing open and the void spilling in on me.”

“Add to that the jinx associated with albinos and you may well begin thanking your luck that you are immortal.”

As the irony sank in the Immortal tipped back his head and began laughing.

What a beautiful sound, I could listen to him laugh forever and never tire of it.

The Immortal paused with an intake of breath, his cowl honed in on me for an extended minute before blurting out, “Rotating your corn with a bean crop every few years will triple your yield. The bean roots aerate the soil, keeping it from becoming hard.”

Maybe that is what happened to Fathis. Bean roots were aerating his soil, keeping him from getting hard.

“SKROWK-AWK-AWK” A loud sound came from the roof above us.

The Immortal was choking again. I didn’t ask, just stood up and pounded his back while scanning the roof for the source of the noise. The Immortal seemed healthy enough, why did he choke so often?

*** A little later …

“A child breaking into the jail cells and releasing prisoners?”

“Not just any child, me.” I unsheathed the claw on my index finger and held it up. “I picked the lock.”

“Dear gods, that thing looks lethal! You have those hiding beneath all your fingers?“

“They are lethal, and I have them under my toes as well.” I unsheathed the rest of the claws on one hand and held them out for his inspection. “If you come to the Cage Match tomorrow you will see how deadly they are. I gave Fathis a pass for you.”

“I’m no fan of blood-shedding. Those claws, can you feel them scratching when they are…sheathed?”

Choking back a laugh at the inconsistency of a vampire not liking blood, I sheathed my claws back and placed my hand in his. “Feel, see? You can’t tell they are there.”

“They can’t be felt, that is amazing! A secret weapon, you can never be totally disarmed!” The Immortal clasped and unclasped my hand in his absentmindedly, rubbing his hand gently back and forth across the tips of my fingers. The heat he exuded intensified suddenly, tripling till it felt I was sitting beside a roaring fire.

Dear gods, he is putting out heat like a coal flue! I never thought to check a vampire’s body temperature before. Maybe next time I run across one in a dungeon I should ask him to stop biting me so I can feel if he exudes warmth.

“SKROWK-AWK-AWK” That loud sound came from the roof above us again. I glanced around, but could see nothing.

The Immortal was laughing at something, still toying with my hand. His rubbing on it made me feel like a common housecat being petted; even more so because the tremendous amount of heat emanating from him was causing my purring to increase till I was sure Jack would turn around from his vantage seat to see what the noise was all about…or throw me out of his box. Cats are drawn to heat, add the stroking and I feared any second I may start rolling on the floor from it.

“Dear gods, your fur is like velvet, I never realized it would be so soft. Odd, I’ve never noticed Khajiit hands before. I would have expected something more like…”

“Paws? Don’t be embarrassed, I’m sure it’s what everyone imagines.” I plucked my hand back from him with a jerk, my cheeks reddening in anger.

“I apologize if you feel I examined your hand longer than necessary. It was not intentional.”

With a smooth flip of my hand I unsheathed my middle finger and held it up to him, then used it to point at a scantily clad Khajiit with an unnaturally colored yellow hair that was curling herself around men as they passed her on the mezzanine below. “You want to rub cat fur? For a few Septims, she’ll let you.”

“AAWK SKROWK-AWK-AWK! AAWK SKROWK-AWK-AWK”

“What is that sound? Maxical, it was nothing like that! I…Wait! You are the one that gave me your hand to examine! By the way, what was that trick with your hand you did just now? That was intriguing!”

“Examinations don’t entail rubbing. And that is known as the Khajiit Proctologist, but it can be known as the Khajiit Castrator if someone gets fresh.”

“SKROWK-AWK-AWK”

“I did not get fresh! You gave me your hand! …And what is that obnoxious racket?”

“Then explain all this heat you are putting out, and explain that.” Using the extended claw I pointed to his lap where his suit was pouched into a tent shape.

“I’m baking in this heavy cloth and sunlight! And that is the material bunching, look!” He stood up and the thick folds of velvet material tumbled in slow motion downward.

Dear gods, the velvet of his inner clothing is the thickest I’ve ever seen. If I had a dress made of that I would roll on the floor just to feel it against my skin.

Humiliatingly, when they came to a stop they lay perfectly flat. “Oh.” My face felt on fire from embarrassment.

“AAWK SKROWK-AWK-AWK”

Fathis had stood at the same time, an unfathomable expression on his face. The Immortal turned his head towards him and spoke curtly.

“Fetch me a bottle of wine from the mezzanine.”

“Don‘t you order Fathis around! You may be used to servants, but Fathis is not one of them! That is what Jack has runners for!” I stood now, facing the Immortal like we were combatants on the Arena floor instead of Jack‘s box.

“I apologize, it was just…nerves. Let us sit back down before we draw attention. Did you not say the press is here?”

I hesitated, looking to Fathis for a signal. His face was an unreadable mask. It looks like that when he is thinking rapidly, what was he thinking so hard about? Fathis was a diplomat, and this was a Noble. Was I stirring up trouble for Fathis at his job? I sank back into my seat feeling like I was at fault for the misunderstanding…although that didn’t ease my anger at the Immortal.

“I apologize.” I barely whispered, turning my head away from him and crossing my arms so he‘d get the message I was still mad.

“Come, am I forgiven then? There is an experiment I wished to discuss with you, I’d like your opinion on it. It involves rat libido…”

“SQWAUK-AUK-AUK!”

It was a perfect topic for him to bring up at that time. The experiment he wanted to discuss was a pedestrian effort by some so-called scientists that had sent Hannibal into a rage when he first read it years ago. I could remember most of Hannibal’s arguments against it…and was glad for a chance to ease some of my anger and embarrassment by debating it with the Immortal. Using Hannibal’s words to argue against whatever viewpoint he was taking would make me sound intelligent again, after that fiasco a minute ago.

*** A little later …

“And his libido returned completely when rat ‘B’ was added to the cage.” The Immortal snapped his fingers.

“An experiment to learn that male rats are promiscuous? All they needed do to learn that was visit the Waterfront at night!” I scoffed at his cowl.

“SQWAUK-AUK-AUK!”

I glanced around for the source of the sound before continuing. “That is just an observation, what do they gain from knowing that?” I did a fair imitation of Hannibal’s mocking of the experiment.

“Then what could they have done to improve it?” He argued back.

“Bring rat ‘A‘ back again, learn how to trick his libido into returning with her.” I had reached the end of what I remembered of Hannibal’s tirade on the subject and hoped he wouldn’t question further.

“How would they do that?”

“Huh? Oh…er…uh…dye her fur a different color…maybe put make-up on her…a little dab of perfume…” A raucous screeching interrupted me.

“AAAAWK! SKROWK-AWK-AWK! SKROWK-AWK-AWK”

Both the Immortal’s and my head jerked toward the sound. “Dear gods!” We both said in unison.

The largest bird I’d ever seen was staggering in circles and flapping its wings on the low eave behind us, making an odd shrieking that sounded almost like laughter.

“It must have gotten into some alcohol!” I gasped.

“I know this bird. SHOO!” The Immortal flagged his hands at the bird, which was now rolling on its back making strange choking sounds. “Just ignore it and go on with what you were saying…”

“You know a bird?”

“It is an unmannered pet of a friend of mine.”

“Dear gods, a pet? Is it ill?”

“SHOO! SHOO I say! It is not ill, just rude and nosy.”

“Noisy you mean? Can I rub its belly?” I reached my hand out and tickled the soft white feathers on the rounded belly.”

“Absolutely not! It…er...bites!”

I drew my hand back quickly. “Did your friend bring it here? Where are they?”

“Yes they did, and they had better remove it.” He seemed to be talking more to the bird than me, his tone sounded threatening.

A hot anger swept over me at that. “Don’t use that tone with the poor bird! I’ll wait with him if you wish to go find his master.”

Anger makes me think better, and the rest of Hannibal’s argument against that experiment suddenly popped into my head. I must have looked a fool suggesting perfume and makeup, and didn’t want to leave him with that impression of me.

“And by the way, I was joking before. Those quasi-scientists should have rubbed the scent of rat ‘B’ onto rat ’A’; manipulated the male’s libido to breeding the rat of the scientist’s choosing.”

“Why would they do that?”

“Because it opens the door to breeding out genetic defects, or creating a super-race of rats.” I argued Hannibal’s point in a mocking tone.

“Super-rats? To do what, pull wagons?”

“BWAAHAA! No, rats that have a higher percentage of meat so more people can eat off each; solving the hunger problems for the needy! Now that is what is considered an experiment.”

“Dear gods, that is brilliant!” The Immortal’s voice sounded awed.

Turning my back on the Immortal, I reached up again and began stroking and tickling the bird. “And I don’t think this bird bites, look! I think it likes me touching it.” I emphasized ‘me’ and then turned my attention to the bird, crooning and petting it.

“Stop that! You’ll arouse him! Jak, get out of here!” The Immortal grabbed the bird up in both arms and heaved it.

“Corvus Umbranox, unhand that bird! How dare you hurt him! Come here sweet Jak, I’ll protect you from the mean vampire…”

“Corvus Umbranox? A vampire? And I’ve seen you both with my own eyes abusing that poor creature! Ape Woman, you can be assured this will appear in the Courier! Even Hassiri won’t be able to save your reputation this time.”

“Urjabhi! Oh dear gods.”

“Count Umbranox, can you tell us where you’ve been for thirty years? When did you become a vampire?” Urjabhi waved his pad in the air and began questioning the Immortal.

“NO COMMENT! Fathis, get rid of this cretin! Get us out of here!”

“I told you once already; you don’t order Fathis around like he’s your lackey, you…bird hater! I rounded on the Immortal, pushing myself between him and Fathis. In the instant it took me to face the Immortal my fur had spiked to massive proportions. My tail was swishing rapidly and uncontrollably, striking both Urjabhi and Fathis several times in their arms and faces.

The sound of laughter was echoing down from the musician’s platform above us, drawing all our eyes to the sight of a man dressed fully in black velvet, even to the full face mask he wore. A silver longsword was worn at his side in a way I’ve only seen once before…Alix. The man had to be a Blademaster, who was he?

** NOTE: The huge bird is Jakben, Earl of Imbel
*** The man in the black velvet full face mask and suit - is a cameo - someone you all know and love - ... ?

Jacki Dice

Examinations dont entail rubbing. And that is known as the Khajiit Proctologist, but it can be known as the Khajiit Castrator if someone gets fresh.

Then explain all this heat you are putting out and explain that. Using the extended claw I pointed to his lap where his suit was pouched into a tent shape.

And I dont think this bird bites, look! I think it likes me touching it.

Stop that! Youll arouse him

Corvus Umbranox, unhand that bird!

rollinglaugh.gif Oh my word that has to be the funniest chapter I've read so far! As I type, I'm still crying!!

King Coin
This just keeps getting better and better!
Acadian
You really opened a full can of humor in this one! I enjoyed the interactions between Maxical and Janus. I like how you are really developing her as a cat in this version - claws, spiking fur, swishing tail and all. I'm glad she didn't roll over on her back to have her tummy rubbed. Fabulous that you inflated the fabric covering Janus' crotch, then deflated Maxical as it turned out to be . . . just fabric.

So it seems Maxical assumes Janus is the long missing Corvus? And she realizes he is a vampire.

And the mystery of a black velvet swordsman. Can't wait to learn more about that.
Thomas Kaira
Count Umbranox? huh.gif

My thoughts are that Fathis might've been trying to publicly humiliate Maxical given what just happened up there, and considering Traven made sure Jak would pretend to be that bird, I presume.

Count Hassildor arrived in the Imperial City to find a wife while Count Umbranox arrived to find a scroll. While trying to find the scroll, Count Umbranox strolled up to Hassildor, bumping into him, and now Umbranox has been stalking about the alleys looking for his wi... no wait, that's Hassildor. He's strolling about town not finding much of his Elder Scroll among the ladies... no wait, that's Umbranox again! So now Count Hassildor who is actually count Umbranox who is actually count Hassildor disguised as count Umbranox has arisen Maxical's interests by pretending to be Hassildor... no wait, he's still Hassildor, he's just Umbranox disguised as Hassildor! No, wait, that can't be right, because Hassildor traded with Umbranox so that Umbranox could he Hassildor could be Umbranox and... and... indifferent.gif

I think I need a bit of clarification on that last paragraph... my brain is collapsing in on itself! wacko.gif

Maxical remains adorable as ever. Who cares about claws, if you've seen into her brain, you'd want to hug her, too. laugh.gif
mALX

ROFL !!! I need a tylenol after trying to figure that out, lol. I realize there has been a lot of time passing between posts, and many other stories we read - little details can be forgotten easily in these circumstance. (Especially since I am not following a known questline). I don't mind at any time to hunt down the plot clues and post them, would much rather do that then have a frustrated reader that wonders what the H just happened.

Here is a breakdown of what I think you and Destri were wondering about in your comments:

- Jak turns himself into owl to spy on Janus all the time, this actually has nothing to do with Hannibal. Examples: (Chapter 73, Page 31)

An extremely large bird perched under the eaves on the balustrade outside her window, staring unblinking at him.

"Thank you, Jak. How did you get in?"

"The window, my boy. Vampires don't need stairs to reach high places."

"You were...that owl?"

"Who...who."

Maxical came to the erroneous conclusion that "The Immortal" must be Umbranox in the last chapter: (Chapter 92, page 43)

A signet ring? He is a Count? No wonder his identity must be kept secret! That's an Imperial ring, his appointment must be in Cyrodiil! Not Terentius, I've met him. Oh! Umbranox! That would explain why he disappeared for thirty years!

Fathis: Fathis is holding a high position as Liaison to Arch Mage Traven - a government position. He cannot divulge the identity of the Immortal (who has diplomatic immunity) or any of his actions - and he cannot attack the Immortal without being attacked with deadly force first. His hands are more or less tied on how to best protect Maxical and still be within the bounds of his political position.

* Below can be found: (Chapter 89, Page 41)

Fathis has to pretend to be under Hassildor's power. He was trying to get hold of Hannibal, Ocato - following the protocol of his position as Liaison to Arch Mage Traven/the Arcane. He left coded messages everywhere, but so far has not gotten any response.

Hassildor could realize he'd been duped at any time, Fathis couldn't keep sitting here waiting for Traven. Raminus Polus and Josey were his only back-ups right now, statistically that was bad odds that the messages would reach Traven. Fathis got no response banging on the door of the Courier office. Protocol was to go to Ocato in the event Traven couldn't be reached.

He knew if he could not get hold of anyone that he would have to meet with Hassildor - so just in case he filled Jack's box up with curious men to make Hassildor feel uncomfortable.

Fathis gave a tense half laugh. "I plan to rudely demand her presence so she'll be angry and refuse the invitation to join me; and hope she forgives when this is over."

"Exactly. He's a newsman; and Khajiit. The curiosity will eat him, he'll show. I hope you don't mind, but I intend to fill up your box a bit with curious men. I want this man in the cowl to feel extremely uncomfortable."

"Curious men...like who?"

"All three brothers from the Courier, Antoine Dodson, maybe that 'Hero of the People'."

* Below can be found: (Chapter 90, Page 42)

He did not want Maxical up there at all, that is why he sent her that hateful note - to tick her off so she would refuse to come. Buying time till someone got hold of Traven or Ocato.

Ma'Thjizzrini Qa;

Part of your duties as my wife require you to entertain visiting dignitaries. I insist on your presence immediately in Jack's box so you can join me in welcoming a member of the Nobility.

Yours, etc.

Fathis.

Br'itsa and Docada threw out the note, so Maxical never saw it - they just told her to go straight to Jack's box. That is why Maxical is up there.

"You better not hand her that note, not unless you want your head to be the next one rolling! She'll leave a trail of bodies all the way up to your desk!"

"What should I do?" Br'itsa was trembling in fright.

"Lose the note, just tell her to go to Jack's box. That way you have completed your task...without getting murdered."

"Br'itsa, dear; are you unwell? Is everything okay?" (Maxical)

"Er; you need to go directly to Jack's box." She choked out.

Fathis was upset to see her up there: (Chapter 91, Page 42)

Fathis's facial expression was unreadable; or rather, if I was reading it correctly then he was upset to see me. That couldn't be, since he had sent for me to be there.

Thomas Kaira
And now things make sense again. Maxical's brain implings must have infiltrated my skull.

Not that I'm complaining about that, of course. tongue.gif

I shall remember in the future to review the details of past chapters if I get lost.
mALX
QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Feb 11 2011, 10:11 PM) *

And now things make sense again. Maxical's brain implings must have infiltrated my skull.

Not that I'm complaining about that, of course. tongue.gif

I shall remember in the future to review the details of past chapters if I get lost.

Now THAT's what I like to hear !! WOO HOO !!! Feel free to PM me or mention it on here if you ever feel a gap that needs explaining - if you have missed something, it is very possible others have as well. (and I know where all the keys are to the plot line, it is very easy for me to find them and post them or PM them).
Grits
I love Maxicals determination to get the upper hand in the rat libido conversation! Her lapse from Travens impassioned argument to her own dress-the-rat-like-a-harlot idea and then back to Traven, hilarious!! rollinglaugh.gif

Maxical tickling the owls belly, laugh.gif

Corvus Umbranox? A vampire? And Ive seen you both with my own eyes abusing that poor creature! Ape Woman, you can be assured this will appear in the Couriereven Hassiri wont be able to save your reputation this time.

What must Fathis be thinking now!! Mystery Blademaster Ive no idea!! smile.gif Cant wait to find out!!
Rachel the Breton
mALX, I somehow missed this last chapter. I don't want to sell any others short, but...I think this might have been the funniest one I read so far! smile.gif Awesome stuff. And I like how Maxical thinks better when she is angry, lol...that does not surprise me!

BTW, if these vampires don't stop reading Maxical's mind, I'm pretty sure the local health professionals in the area are going to be suddenly very wealthy. wink.gif
D.Foxy
How I LOVE reading these chapters...when I want to murder the world just because I am overwhelmed by work and the sand and dust, mALX makes me scream with laughter and gives me a reason to go on living!!!

rollinglaugh.gif
Zalphon
Absolutely not! Itbites.

Oh that's hilarious smile.gif I'm half tempted to put in a fan-fic, "I once knew an albino khajiit who had a thing for love-biters, I never did understand that." biggrin.gif
mALX
@ Jacki Dice - Thank You, Thank You, Jacki !!! Now THAT is Awesome to hear !!!

@ King Coin - Thank you so much King Coin !!! I appreciate so much that you have stuck with Maxical through both of her stories !!!

@ Acadian - Thank you so much, Acadian !!! After reading your comment I went back and checked ... I have not placed a description in here yet - nor get permission to cameo him. I will have to - just had a very busy week. Thank you again, Acadian !!!

@ Thomas Kaira - Thank you so much TK - and for letting me know when I need to refresh info. That two months I took off at Xmas put too much time between those chapters and this, I should always remember (the clear jar of yellow fluid) lesson I learned on the original story, lol. I thought everyone would remember it was Nordic Whiskey ... instead EVERYONE thought it was a jar of Maxical's pee ... that Manheim had (for some reason) saved and given to Owyn as a gift - BWAAAHAAAA!!!! That was funnier than anything in the chapter, I was in hysterics - but I should have remembered that and refreshed - so glad you caught me on that !!!

I know where all the plot keys are at any time anyone wants an update!! I appreciate your reading, Thank You so much TK !!!!

@ Grits - I am so glad you liked that, I nearly wrote the whole chapter around Maxical saying that - and it lasted through all the edits, even when the story changed around it each time. Throwing Jack in to hear it was a last minute decision and the final edit just grew from there. Your kind words mean a lot, Grits - Thank you so very much !!!!

@ Rachel the Breton - ROFL !!! (Black Horse Courier: "There has been a drastic increase of activity at the local Psychiatrist's office, oddly enough they are all wearing black cowls and long, heavy black cloaks.") - Thank you so much, Rachel !!! You are the goddess of comedy, it means the world to hear you say that about my story !!!

@ Foxy - I took it you weren't back, so popped your cameo onto that chapter but left it un-named in case you didn't approve. The place where the bird was rolling on it's back choking was written specifically to make you roll on the floor laughing where-ever you were AWOL from us !!! You are greatly missed, and whenever you get to a point where you can approve some script you have another scene coming up that needs your special touches !!!

Thank You so much Foxy, your reaction is exactly what I hoped for !!!

@ Zalphon - Thank you so much Zalphon !!! And GAAAAH !!! Not poor Maxical !!! ROFL !!!!
mALX

** There is a special cameo mention of Mrs. Treydog in this chapter. Thanks Treydog, Mrs. Treydog!!!

Chapter 94: Termagant, Fury, Harridan, Virago

The Immortal’s identity remained a closely guarded secret for upwards of fifty years according to Hannibal‘s notes. He endured severe isolation to keep it…and within a few hours of speaking to me he is embroiled in public scandal and outed to the press.

He could not have said it better, the sky would be rent and the void would swallow him. I suddenly wondered if maybe I really am a jinx.

Like dominoes tumbling in a chain things went from bad to worse. Maybe I had over-reacted to his rubbing my fur, but no one could blame me for my anger at his treatment of that poor sick bird. I’d never seen a bird rolling on its back like that, pressing his wings against his stomach…and that odd cackling squawk; the bird was obviously in terrible pain, anyone could see that.

The worst part…Fathis holds a very high and trusted position both at Castle Bravil and his appointment as Diplomatic Liaison through Ocato; both positions secured through Hannibal’s highest recommendations. Even Uriel Septim calls Fathis any time there is a visiting dignitary or situation that needs delicate handling; not trusting Ocato after his haughty attitude offended one too many times.

Fathis’s dealings with the Immortal are in an official capacity, and I have just caused them both to be thrown into a bad light publicly. I may have cost Fathis both his positions, and it could cost the Immortal an eternity imprisoned in the Imperial dungeons…my fault.

With probably more force than necessary I jerked Urjabhi’s arm down that was flagging his pad. He glared at me, but behind the anger was a cagy look. He was going to pull something.

A quick glance at Fathis showed he was already handling the situation in spite of my saying he need not take orders from the Immortal…thank goodness. Within seconds Urjabhi was escorted to his seat with a warning not to harass invited guests in Jack’s private box. I watched Urjabhi’s ears swiveling, he was still trying to eavesdrop.

Lowering my voice drastically, I barely whispered to the Immortal. “He is trying to listen still. I’m so sorry…I never meant to…if you had not manhandled that bird…”

“I am not a bird-hater, and I did not manhandle the bird.” He hissed back. “Why did you insist on touching him after me telling you he would bite?”

“He does not bite. His eyes danced merrily when I fondled him, he even rubbed his head on my chest and cooed lovingly.”

“No doubt of that, and I applaud your choice of terms. I warned you not to continue rubbing him that way.”

“OH!” I glanced around quickly and forced myself to a quieter tone. “I didn’t mean anything like that and you know it! Maybe if you didn’t fling him around he would like you a little better.“

“I don’t desire any closer relationship with him than I already have. He had no business here snooping and eavesdropping, that is as low a sabotage as I can think of.”

“A bird eavesdropping and snooping, plotting to sabotage you? I say Anvil won’t miss Lovidicus much now that you have reappeared to play the part of a madman in his stead, Lord Umbranox. …And sabotage what?”

“This visit today was supposed to be in the nature of a wedding gift for you, something you told Fathis you desired greatly. I broke my sacred privacy that you might have your heart’s wish.”

He pronounced ‘privacy’ as one would say ‘privet‘. Had we not been in the middle of a heated argument I could have dwelled on how elegant it sounded spoken in that accent.

His last sentence shamed me for bringing this trouble on him after such a kind act on his part. I felt tears of remorse beginning to burn my eyes and looked up at his cowl to apologize, but they quickly became searing hot in anger at his next sentence.

“For my part I wish Fathis the best in his choice. I certainly hope the bride I came here to select for myself has a more even temperament and the only shrews in our castle will be burrowing in the garden.”

“SHREW!” I struggled to lower my voice again. “I see diplomacy is not your strong suit! Do you find entertainment in the kicking of dogs too? And you did select an even tempered bride; one who has spent thirty years alone waiting for your return. A sadder sight is hard to find. What do you plan to do? You can’t be married to them both at once, you know…“

“Ironic you of all people should point that out.”

“OH! How DARE you! You could not possibly know anything of my circumstance!”

“A little bird told me…” The Immortal began, but stopped as he became aware Fathis had overheard his previous words.

In my peripheral vision I had caught the motion as Fathis’s head jerked toward me and then seemed to freeze on me. How dare the Immortal break it to him in such a harsh way.

“Fathis…” I turned slowly toward him, dreading seeing the shock and deep inner pain reflecting there.

“Ma'Thjizzrini Qa?” Fathis’s eyes searched mine. He began speaking rapidly in Khajiit, his voice lowered. He never mentioned what he had overheard, Fathis is too much the diplomat to make a scene by discussing it publicly.

Instead he asked if I had seen the portrait of my Golden Armor done by Mrs. Treydog that was hanging in the clubhouse mezzanine, asked if he could take me to see it.

It wasn’t the words he was saying, they were naught but a ruse; a blind that others including his companion would not be privy to his real intent…eyes that seemed to have bored into my soul and read all he needed to know within, verifying what he had overheard.

Dear gods, he knows…this is it then

An overwhelming urge to cry choked and strangled in my throat. I averted my face before answering or the tears would have overcome me. In what I hoped resembled a light voice I answered him in Khajiit.

“Ta, it’s naught Fathis, but it is as you wish.” My voice cracked on the words. Inside me it felt like a volcano was trying to erupt.

“What else is there than I be here for you?” Fathis finished speaking to me. He looked like a man caught between a rock and a hard place; bursting to speak what was roiling in him but couldn’t.

Inside me it felt like something was sinking. I had a sickening sensation that when it reached bottom I was going to know with certainty that I had made a terrible mistake. Fear like I hadn’t known since I was a child hit me as for the first time I realized the full implications of what I had done…my life from here on out would be without Fathis in it.

A silent scream was forming inside me, the pressure so great to let it out and fill the Arena with the agonizing pain of it…what had I done? To Fathis…to myself? Fathis, who’d always been there to step in and erase any traces of my ill deeds. I couldn’t turn to him to fix this, not when it was him I’d done the wrong to.

Dear gods what have I done? Oh dear gods, what have I done?

The Immortal’s head was riveted in my direction. He seemed to be staring hard at me, but I couldn’t tell due to the cowl. Suddenly he spoke, blurting it in a voice that resounded with apology I took to be aimed at me.

“I would also like to see that portrait on our way out.”

The Immortal’s aura suddenly became suffocating, thickening the air and making breathing difficult. I had a minute glimpse of Urjabhi kneeling next to Azzan, pointing up toward the Immortal. In an instant the atmosphere changed, words hung in the air as if time had frozen; every motion felt deliberate, purposeful...painted with a surreal brush.

As if in slow motion I saw Azzan rise, knocking his seat over; the sound of its crash coming seconds after the hiss of his silver longsword leaving its sheath. The pounding of his footfall seemed delayed from the action, yet somehow still gave the impression of a draft horse charging.

Azzan’s mouth gaped and twisted to one side as if his jaw was not connected. Velus was now by his side, a gleaming silver sword in his hand that looked like it hadn’t tasted its first blood yet; his mouth opened wide in silent mimicry of Azzan’s as he joined him in the charge.

The others in Jack’s box turned as if a unit, their raised fists shaking the air; all of their mouths open in the same grotesque shape…and that’s when I heard it, a chorus of angry voices, their shouts reverberating off the wall of Jack‘s office behind me in a cadenced rhythm, “URIEL’S LAW! URIEL’S LAW!”

The sound of my own scream echoed back to me from above as the large bird Jak swooped overhead emitting a terrible shrieking cry that split through the sound of the chanters, chilling my bones…a sound from another realm where gods were watching each act unfold; tumblers of time clicking into place and locking as if destinies were being changed in the void while here a mob scene was unfolding.

Thomas Kaira
Oh, dear! Looks like Hassildor's pleasant stay in Cyrodiil City has ended! ohmy.gif

I don't know if I should say I'm being entertained by reading about how our dear white kitty is slowly falling apart at the seams now that she's violated Fathis' trust as badly as she has, but I really can't think of any other way to say it. kvright.gif

She is much more emotionally fragile than she used to be because of this, it would seem. This is the first time I can recall seeing mood swings as violent as this in her entire life! There's two explanations that I can see:

1: She cannot come to grips with her betrayal of Fathis.

2: She aged too fast is going through menopause.

I don't know about you, but my money's on the first.

Nit:

“I don’t desire any closer relationship with him than I already have. He had no business here snooping and eavesdropping, that is as low a sabatage as I can think of.”
There appears to be an error of the typographical variety here.
King Coin
...and it's all falling apart after balancing for so long.
Acadian
This was magnificent! Maxical at her most Maxicalish.

'He pronounced privacy as one would say privet. Had we not been in the middle of a heated argument I could have dwelled on how elegant it sounded spoken in that accent. '
Here, she reminds of us of how quickly that short attention span of hers flits with delightful dizziness.

That was then followed by a veritable roller coaster ride of swirling emotions, all them powerful, well presented and pure Maxical.

I was ready to cry along with her as she pondered the effect of her actions on Fathis. That would have been a great ending point right there and hard to beat. Yet, somehow you did. The pending violence at the end was a shockingly dramatic lurch from Maxical's ruminations. I am still scratching my head at how well you put this together.

Now, I must confess part of the reason I liked this story so much was that it was from Maxical's perspective and all about Maxical. Nothing makes me happier than when you do that. Wonderful job here, mALX. One of your very best! goodjob.gif
mALX
@ Thomas Kaira - You are exactly right on all counts, she had the nerves of the upcoming interview with Fathis eating away at her insides and making that red-headed temper worse than usual. All that guilt and the fear that she was making a mistake she would regret her whole life - and suddenly realizing how naive she had been to think they could remain friends through it as Gils waltzed off with her.

Oddly enough, my spell check didn't catch that nit !! I went back to correct it on the draft and it was not showing in red !! I will have to get on the spell-check and remove the miss-spelling, I guess (if that can be done, lol).

Thank you so much TK !!! (and the battle scenes you have been seeking will be coming with a vengeance very soon !!) -

@ King Coin - You are right, lol. The Imperial City is coming down like the Arcane and the Arena ... or worse ... in short order. The build-up of tensions through the different factions is coming to a head, and all H will break out when it does. Thank you so much King Coin !!

@ Acadian - Thank you so very much Acadian !!!! You really captured the essence of that chapter in your comment, right up to her short attention span!! I appreciate so much your fave chapters being Maxical centered ones, that means tons - you have followed her through about 200 chapters now - You ROCK !!!! Thank you again, Acadian !!!
ghastley
I'm totally confused, which mean that I'm identifying with Maxical too much. biggrin.gif

So I clutch at the trivia, just like she does to take her mind out of the maelstrom. You have a tense glitch here
"He could not have said it better, the sky would be rend rent and the void would swallow him"
mALX
QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 18 2011, 01:03 PM) *

I'm totally confused, which mean that I'm identifying with Maxical too much. biggrin.gif

So I clutch at the trivia, just like she does to take her mind out of the maelstrom. You have a tense glitch here
"He could not have said it better, the sky would be rend rent and the void would swallow him"

Fixed it, thank you so much for the help !!! I wavered between the two, not really sure which was the correct term to use here - even after looking it up in the dictionary, lol. Thank you so much - and for the reading too !!
Zalphon
Maxical, don't be too prideful!
mALX
QUOTE(Zalphon @ Feb 18 2011, 09:15 PM) *

Maxical, don't be too prideful!

Thank you so much Zalphon !!! Don't worry, she won't; her nerves are on edge, that's all. Thanks so much for stopping by, Zalphon !!!
mALX
There is a cameo appearance of Foxy's character, Damien "Foxy" Reynard in this chapter. Foxy has graciously agreed to allow Damien to participate, and has either written or approved all scenes for Damien.

Chapter 95: The Beginnings Of War

Directly below us on the mezzanine the shout was being picked up. People were leaping up, grabbing the railings; either to see or trying to pull themselves up into Jack’s private box. Like wildfire spreading the crowds around the Arena began climbing on their seats straining to see up into Jack’s box, screaming and flagging their arms forward in the Arena signal to ‘Finish Him’.

The combatants on the Arena floor had ground their fight to a halt and instead stood side by side, their wounds forgotten in trying to see what the crowd was pointing at.

Jack seemed frozen in his vantage chair, his face an expressionless mask as he watched his balcony erupt into a seething mob; stomping their feet in cadenced rhythm, fists shaking in the air and shouting the chant, “URIEL’S LAW! URIEL’S LAW!”

The sound was oddly out of synch with the gaping mouths; reverberating off the wall behind us in an eerie echo of angry voices and contrasted by a terrible screaming cry, one that sickeningly imaged a parent seeing its child murdered emitting from the large bird that was making ever-lowering circles and swoops over our heads. Jak, the bird I had accused the Immortal of harming.

A raging bull would have been less terrifying than Azzan in his relentless charge, his face twisted in an expression of sheer hatred…what so many vampires saw as their last image before his silver longsword cut them down.

The sudden realization struck me…I did this. I caused what was happening to this man, someone I had befriended that reminded me so much of Hannibal. Even the bird I had been defending was screaming to stop this. Dear gods what had I done?

I heard my scream before I knew it was me, “NOOOOO! MAKE IT STOP, FATHIS!” Through the blur of my tears I saw Fathis had already raised his shield that clearly proclaimed him a Court Official and was stepping in front of the Immortal, blocking Azzan’s attack. Without looking behind him he walked backwards, pushing the Immortal back to the corner wall so he couldn’t be flanked if someone burst through Jack’s office.

I scrambled into the flank position and raised my shield, my sword drawn but pointed down.

“DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY! STEP BACK! THIS MAN HAS DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!” Fathis shouted.

Azzan’s rage at Fathis’s words contorted his face. “Step aside, Aren. Uriel’s Law!”

“You see my shield, Azzan. Diplomatic Immunity. Step back.” Fathis’s voice was calm and somehow soothing in contrast with the shouts and tensions seething around him.

Azzan faltered, his face reflecting the struggle to regain control. “That’s bull [censored] Aren! How can you protect him knowing what he is?” His voice was ragged with frustration, his weapon stayed pointed.

“Not this one Azzan, and not here. Lower your weapon, lad. You know what this shield stands for, don’t get yourself in trouble now. Come on, lad. You know you aren’t going to attack me, and I‘m duty bound to protect this man.”

Authority mixed with respect, Fathis gave it…and shockingly to me, Azzan returned it, stepping off and pointing his sword to the floor. Velus followed his lead, looking nervous. He shot Fathis an apologetic look before speaking.

“Er…sorry Fathis. Didn’t mean anything against you. Don’t like his type around, that’s all. Thought I’d get to use that Peacemaker you gave me.”

Fathis gave him a brief nod. “You two best return to your seats now. Jack will ban us all for drawing weapons in his box.”

Velus sheathed his sword immediately, but stood shifting his weight uncomfortably; obviously waiting for Azzan’s decision.

It was an uneasy stalemate. Azzan kept his weapon drawn, but pointed to the ground. He remained standing there, glaring.

As silent as a snake the Blademaster in the black velvet mask dropped from the musician’s deck onto the railing, agile as any cat. In seconds he had leaped across the tops of the seats toward us. Surprisingly, Jack saw him entering his private box and made no move to stop him…in fact, looked pleased he had arrived. Who was that man?

Fathis’s hand poised, ready to cast; watching both the newcomer and Azzan at the same time. “HALT!“

The man in black velvet gave some kind of signal that Fathis recognized before he approached. He moved to Fathis’s other side and leaned in close to speak. His voice was silky and quiet, meant only for Fathis‘s ears but I heard.

“Hannibal is on his way, the immunity may be in question.”

“Until it is removed, I am duty bound to protect this man.” Fathis barely whispered.

“This is all my fault, Fathis…please don’t let it happen by my doing, please!” I turned to the Immortal and looked into his cowl so he could see the truth in my eyes. “I never meant this to happen, I am so very sorry to have brought this trouble on your head.”

Jack had signaled Wes and the announcement was made to begin clearing the Arena. Hassiri made a sign to his brothers and they left, followed by everyone but Azzan. Velus reluctantly followed the others, grasping Azzan’s shoulder as he passed him.

“You got this under control Fathis?” Jack…his usual calm voice as if nothing had just happened.

Fathis nodded his head towards Azzan.

“Come on, Hero. Time for us to leave. Traven’s on the way to handle this.” Jack slapped Azzan on the back.

Reluctantly Azzan left with Jack, not sheathing his sword even then. Hassiri stayed behind, as did the man in the velvet mask.

Most of the crowds on the mezzanine were beginning to filter toward the exits, I noticed some were instead moving to the railing and either staring up into Jack’s box or watching the bird circling. Jak the bird was swooping down along the mezzanine, his squawking now sounding like a battle cry…or a call to arms.

Just then my eyes caught sight of another man in a cloak and cowl standing on the opposite mezzanine, and from the position of his head it seemed he was staring directly at me. Something seemed…familiar about him.

Is that another vampire? Oh dear gods…it’s Vicente!

The Immortal’s head swiveled with a jerk in the direction I was looking, both cowls seemed to lock onto each other. I glanced at the Immortal, his aura was suddenly giving off tension…alertness.

Then suddenly, and with a feeling of shock I realized the man standing next to Vicente was Gils. Why had my vision not been drawn to him? Why was there no moon sugar on my tongue?

My eyes darted to Fathis quickly, but he hadn’t noticed Gils. Fathis’s eyes were alert on the stranger in black velvet and the door to Jack’s office. Without looking at me he spoke in Khajiit. “Ma'Thjizzrini Qa, you need to return to the Bloodworks. We’ll talk later.”

As I turned to leave I scanned the other mezzanine, Vicente was gone. The Arena Bloodworks gates were both locked now, I would have to walk outside…alone. My sword was not silver, I would have no defense against Vicente...but I couldn’t ask Fathis to abandon his guest and escort me.

An intoxicating scent seemed to be filling the air suddenly. I breathed it in and felt it moving within me…it made my head feel like it was swimming.

“No. We must escort her. The vampire Vicente is out there, she won’t be safe walking alone.” The Immortal spoke for the first time since the incident began. His voice rumbled deeply like low thunder.

Surprised by the sound, I spun around and gasped aloud. The Immortal had grown larger than life, his proportions changing before my eyes till he stood as a giant…towering over even the stranger in the black velvet mask, who had dwarfed both Hassiri and Jack.

Fathis appeared unconcerned over the change unless one knew him well. His expression remained the same, but a muscle in his lower jaw rippled with tension as it did when he prepared for battle…what battle? What was going on?

“The mezzanine!“ Hassiri’s growl was blood chilling and his fur was spiked fully out as he kicked his shoes off.

I had never seen Hassiri frightened before. Instantly my own fur spiked in response to that fear in him…and then from what I saw on the mezzanine. A sea of giants…like the Immortal…moving like a silent slithering army of snakes towards Jack’s box.

Fathis was facing the Immortal now, looking deceptively casual…but I know his every stance, he had his spells loaded and was ready to cast. What was going on?

Jack’s office door slammed suddenly followed by the sound of the bolt sliding across. The stranger in the black velvet mask stepped into the open area, his hand on his sword hilt. Hassiri was crouching to pounce, I half expected to see a puddle forming below him.

Fathis and the Immortal hadn’t moved position at all, seeming like statues frozen in a perpetual face-off. The tension in the air was strangling, I couldn’t inhale or exhale and my knees suddenly felt made of jelly…I found my own self struggling not to leave a puddle.

With relief I heard Hannibal’s voice before he even appeared on the balcony…he would make sense of what was going on. He didn’t. Instead his words seemed to charge the atmosphere to explosion.

“Stop! We need him…Malan’s army has activated, they’re storming the Arena following some giant bird. Stop! Fathis, we need the Immortal. Go to Damien quickly, he’ll make sure you‘re clear of hypnosis.”

“Do Ma'Thjizzrini Qa first. She needs to be escorted to safety, and Vicente is below.” Fathis spoke as if I wasn’t there.

The Immortal spun, his cowl gawking at Fathis. “You tricked me…set me up!” His voice reflected shock…and rage.

Fathis’s expression was of a man who knew he may be facing the gallows. His life was in danger…and he knew it. What could have happened? The cowled head was honed in on Fathis as if he were prey. I surged forward till I was standing between them, facing the Immortal.

“Are you angry at Fathis? I’ll not step out if you intend harm to him.” I glanced at Fathis…was I misreading everything?

For a brief second I saw the tender look flicker across Fathis’s face…the one that had always melted my heart no matter the circumstance…still could. It suddenly struck me that I may never see it again after today...no, it was more than that. With a sickening dread I suddenly realized I may never see him again…period.

As if a part of me tore loose and looked down from the sky I suddenly saw everyone’s stances, their positioning…the stranger in the black velvet mask, Hassiri, Azzan stepping back out of Jack’s office…all looking like cats ready to spring into action; every movement deliberate…establishing strategic positions surrounding…nae, trapping the Immortal against the high wall that Fathis had pushed him against when he was protecting him from Azzan…or was he? I suddenly realized Fathis hadn’t backed him there for his protection, but for his defeat, to trap him…he really had tricked him!

The musician’s platform the stranger had dropped from was now lined with men in black leather stealth suits…spell casters like I’d never seen at the Arcane; taking up positions for attack. Dear gods, this was a battlefront…and Fathis was the lead man in front!

Fear like I’d never known welled up inside me…afraid to leave his side if that was the case. If anything ever happened to him…I don’t know that I’d be able to stand it, he’d always been part of me. I wanted to grasp every minute movement, every sound…replay it over and over in my mind till something would stand out…tell me what was happening, what I should do. I wanted to take Fathis’s hand in both mine and rub it on my cheek…for the last time, but couldn‘t.

“Fathis…”

“Ma'Thjizzrini Qa...you’ll have my heart forever. This gentleman must remove the spells from you…Azzan is going to escort you to the Bloodworks. All will be fine, you’ll see. Go now.”

Acadian
Holy bat guano! ohmy.gif

Talk about a nail biting edge of the seat experience!

The mystery and tension and action you wove throughout was amazing. This icing on the cake was knowing what Maxical was thinking the whole time. My head is spinning as much as hers (in a good way). panic.gif Fathis, Gils, Fathis. Argh! If you wanted to paint Fathis as heroic here, you surely accomplished that. I may be wrong, but if Fathis and Maxical make it out of this, I think our kitty is going to be rethinking who she wants to be bound to. Don't keep us waiting too long before you bring us some relief to this cliff hanger.

Always fun seeing dear Damien of course. smile.gif

So much emotion here! Very powerful indeed.
Thomas Kaira
Why does part of me feel that Fathis is not going to survive this? huh.gif

You had me pinned to the edge of my seat with that one. The army is risen, Jak in the lead, and the Arena appears to be in terrible danger.

And the fate of the Immortal... Fathis is incredibly brave to try a stunt such as that. If he feels this is the only way to protect our kitten from the intoxicating beast within the cloak, I do hope it turns out okay.

Then again, he is the Immortal. I wonder how the next couple of scenes will play out for Maxical's love life? Part of me (probably the same part fearing for Fathis's life) feels that her hand is soon going to be forced in some way. Only time will tell where, though.
Rachel the Breton
mALX, this was absolutely superb. Allow me to second what Acadian said -- after reading this, my head too is spinning. We are reminded why Maxical first fell for Fathis, and just how much of a mistake it might have been to make her choice while angry and before knowing the full facts.
I cannot help but wish Fathis luck, that somehow Janus can be destroyed or imprisoned, even though I, like Thomas Kaira, wonder if he'll make it out of this alive. So all I can say is, please post more quickly!!!
King Coin
Ho-ly Whack.

Good luck Fathis. You'll need it.
Jacki Dice
ohmy.gif <--- is all I can say right now!
Grits
The drama, the action, the emotions! And this is only The Beginnings of War!! When Fathis got Azzan to stop his attack, I was just stunned. I could really feel Maxicals terror and confusion. Her desperate wish to do something paralyzed by not knowing what to do, arrrrgh! Tremendous, mALX!! Im on the edge of my seat, and staying there!
mALX
@ Acadian - Thank You, Thank You, Acadian !!! It means a lot to hear that from you - in fact, your comment was AWESOME !!!

@ Thomas Kaira - Thank you so much TK !!! That chapter was the beginning of the end, it is all going to start hitting the fan now - Fathis thinks fast on his feet, he won't go down without a fight. I would back Fathis over Hassildor any day, but against Jak...I don't know about that. Thanks again, TK !!!

@ Rachel - You can always nail the plots and subplots to a T - Thank You so very much Rachel !!! I personally am rooting for Fathis too, but you know how it is when you sit down to write - sometimes things just happen ... like the protagonist being murdered in chapter 50 of a 110 chapter story, lol. Thank you again, Rachel - you are so very appreciated !!!

@ King Coin - Zalphon is rooting for Fathis too, I should put a poll in to see "Who Should Survive" when all this goes down, lol. Thank you so much King Coin !!!

@ Jacki Dice - Uh Oh, speechless...I hope that is a good thing, lol. Thank you so much Jacki !!!

@ Grits - Yeah !!! That means a lot to hear from you - especially after reading the emotions you infused into the Battle for Kvatch in your story - Thank you so much, Grits !!! Your comment really made my day !!!
Zalphon
You kill Fathis, Malx and I swear by Boethia that I'll hunt Maxical down and skin her alive!
mALX
QUOTE(Zalphon @ Feb 24 2011, 08:36 PM) *

You kill Fathis, Malx and I swear by Boethia that I'll hunt Maxical down and skin her alive!

GAAAAAH !!! A white fur rug ???? GAAAAAH !!!! Thank you so much Zalphon !!!
mALX

** Foxy has graciously agreed to employ his character Damien "Foxy" Reynard in this chapter. Foxy has either written or approved all scenes for Damien.

Chapter 96: The Fox Lays A Trap

Hannibal rounded on Fathis. “I know everything the Immortal has done; he’s used no deadly force! This is tantamount to an attack on him…a Noble, Fathis! The Mages Guild will not even consider removing his immunity for that spell he put on you. You must stop this action now!”

“Spell?“ I spun toward the Immortal. “You assaulted Fathis? Why? Lord Umbranox, Fathis trusted you…has spoken only highly of you!” I know the shock was evident in my voice.

“Umbranox! What?” Hannibal was staring at me like an owl.

“It’s okay…I know…I figured it out.” I shrugged apologetically at Hannibal.

“An attack on the representative from the Mages Guild is a breach…” Fathis began without taking his eyes from the Immortal. Hannibal cut him off.

“You were negligent in your duties or he would not have been able to do it. Your position is the one in danger, for this.” Hannibal spread his arms to encompass the battlegrounds. “You are forcing a fight on him!”

I gasped audibly; Hannibal turning on Fathis over the Immortal?

“Aye, I was negligent that he got the spell on me, but I’ve forced no fight on him. Protocol only forbids any overtly aggressive acts to initiate battle. I have shown him no aggression. If he is insulted by this then by the gods, let him act.” Fathis’s eyes held a challenge as he looked directly into the cowl, it was clear to me he was hoping the Immortal would act…egging him.

“I’m flattered you thought it would take an army to capture me.” The deep rumble of the Immortal’s voice could not camouflage the mocking tone of his words.

“How DAST you mock Fathis!” I rounded on the Immortal. “He doesn’t need an army! If he called their presence here, it would be as witnesses to verify you acted against him so it could not be disputed. He protected you from assault, do you forget that?” I turned back to Hannibal, still angry and shocked that he had turned on Fathis. “Fathis defended the Immortal using himself as a shield against the attackers, I witnessed it myself, Hannibal.”

“Tell him the truth about what the Immortal came for, Tra-ven!” Azzan shouted from the doorway, drawling out Hannibal’s name and pointing his still-unsheathed sword at the Immortal.

“Stay out of this, Azzan! We have no proof…” Hannibal sputtered. I gaped at him. I’ve known Hannibal almost as long as I’ve known Fathis, he was lying. One glance at Fathis confirmed that he knew Hannibal had lied as well.

Without taking his eyes off the Immortal Fathis slid his hand into his inner pocket and withdrew an aged, richly thick parchment sealed with a golden crown and crimson crest. “This has Septim’s official seal on it, dated the same year I took this post. Uriel was concerned one person in charge left the door open to bribery or being put under the Immortal’s power…that you may be reluctant to terminate his diplomatic immunity even when shown clear evidence the Immortal was acting on his nature. As in now, Traven. The Immortal placed a spell on me while in my capacity as liaison; assaulted me with paralysis spells; and used his power over me to stalk a virgin. That is several violations of his agreement, he is clearly acting on his nature.” Fathis’s eyes never left the Immortal as he spoke.

“He is not stalking a virgin! Ask Azzan, he’ll tell you. He is here for his chosen. He’s not touched a drop of blood, that is fact. The man he roomed with since his arrival confirmed both of these, swore his oath by them…” Hannibal fumed.

Fathis looked stunned, reeling. I leaped between him and the Immortal so he couldn’t take advantage of Fathis while his guard was down.

“It’s true, Fathis. He told me blood sickens him…that he was here for his bride. He said the reason he met with me today was as a wedding gift because you told him it was a fond wish of mine. He couldn’t possibly know I was still intact…that you did not fulfill your vows last night. He wished you well in your choice…”

Rage consumed Fathis’s features till I was afraid his head may pop off his shoulders. I didn‘t know if he ignored my words or didn‘t hear them, because he cut me off to roar at Hannibal.

“How long have you known this, that you didn’t see fit to advise me? Speak Traven!” Fathis spat the words, I had to wipe my face.

“Just since yesterday…there isn’t time for this now! Listen to me, Fathis...what’s this?”

Fathis’s eyes looked like bubbling lava boring into the cowl of the Immortal as he flung what looked to be an official document at Hannibal.

“That is my official resignation as liaison. Your rules of protocol put Ma'Thjizzrini Qa at risk…tied my hands from protecting her and myself. You know where you can shove this post.”

“Fathis, you can’t just quit! I need notice…what are you doing?”

Still keeping his eyes on the Immortal, Fathis had taken a step back from him and tossed the aged parchment with the Septim seal on it toward the stranger in the black velvet mask…Damien caught it deftly.

While the Immortal’s attention was caught by those actions, Fathis made the slightest movement with his hand. Magic darted from the tips of his fingers with a speed I‘ve never seen before.

Conjured shackles to inhibit magic like they use in the prisons snapped onto the Immortal’s wrists and ankles with a loud clang, glowing instantly on closing. The Immortal struggled ineffectually against them, roaring…he was bound completely. Damien spoke then.

“Well, Traven; with this document Fathis has empowered my men to act against the Immortal at his command, and authorized by Uriel Septim. My orders come from a higher source than Ocato’s diplomatic immunity. Your Immortal has some explaining to do…”

“Ma'Thjizzrini Qa should not hear this. I want her cleared of hypnosis and removed from here first.” Fathis interrupted in a tone that would brook no negative response.

“I understand, and agree.” Damien gave a grimace, his eyes glittering through the holes in the mask.

Hannibal nearly plastered himself onto the front of the Immortal, shielding him as if the spells may start flying any second. “Is no one listening? Malan’s army is on the move, we need his help!”

“And if I agree to give this help, what of that document and these shackles?” The Immortal’s voice was like a booming clap of thunder.

“Damien…” Hannibal pleaded.

“I am merely an agent performing a service. Fathis is the one you need to speak with.” Damien’s voice cut like ice through the air. With a sudden clarity I knew without a doubt he was an assassin.

“Fathis, please! We can‘t fight Malan without him, the city is at risk…all Cyrodiil is!” Hannibal’s voice raised to a shout.

“Fathis, he’s using his mind, calling in aid! GAAAAAAH!” I pointed to the musician’s balcony above us where a flock of the giant birds was landing behind Damien’s men. As they landed their forms shimmered into giant men…vampires.

“I’m taking her to safety!” Fathis had to shout to be heard over the battle beginning on the balcony above us. He jammed his silver sword in my hands and pulled me to the balcony edge. “Come on, Ma'Thjizzrini Qa!”

Malan’s giants were swarming the mezzanine deck below us. “Load Delphine’s spell!“ Fathis shouted, then grabbed my hand, shoving it down past the stone floor of the deck we were on. The huge explosion shook the floor beneath us, followed by the horrible hissing and snarling death screams of the vampires as the liquid fire combusted. The stench of seared flesh drafted up my nostrils.

“Come on, hurry!” Fathis dropped off the balcony first and began rapidly casting fire into the remaining crowd of vampires below, setting them aflame and alternately conjuring Fire Atronachs with his other hand.

Looking first for a vantage spot, I dropped down and steadied my legs, readying Fathis’s sword.

“NO! Keep going! Go to the pit!” Fathis shouted, never slowing his casting.

Pieces of body parts decorated the mezzanine from the explosion, gore everywhere. More of the giant vampires were running up the ramp toward us making a horrid snarling sound, their fangs like ivory daggers jutting from their mouths. The stench of burned flesh was overcoming my stomach, leaving me weaving; dizzy and staring dumbly at the carnage in front of me.

Fathis grabbed my shoulder with one hand, shaking me hard. “THEY’RE ANCIENTS! THEY SMELL YOUR BLOOD! NOW GO! Get to the pit!” Fathis pushed me toward the edge of the mezzanine, shaking me out of the mental paralysis that held me.

Being a cat, the drop to the top of the gates was easily accomplished. I dropped from there to the Arena floor and ran…was halfway across the Arena floor before I realized Fathis was not following me.

******* Janus

The musicians balcony above them erupted in blasts of fire and lightning, battle cries and screams, the clashing of weapons and scuffling thumps. Traven stood frozen, an agony of shock and terror reflecting in his eyes as his worst nightmare unfolded before him. It would be easy to enlist his aid.

“Take these shackles from me if you want my help Traven. Aren has gone mad, you must see that.” Janus couldn’t keep the edge of hatred from rumbling in his deep voice.

Hannibal started forward; till Damien’s voice cut across the balcony sharply. “Think carefully before you act, Traven. Recall that I am witness to your movements.”

“We need his help, Damien! We don’t have the manpower, without him we will all fall!”

“Panic is ruling you, Traven. You will be held responsible for his actions, face charges if he harms Fathis…or has him harmed.“

“You must swear you’ll fight by our side, and Fathis must not be harmed…I must have your word.” Hannibal’s eyes pleaded for the words of assurance.

Janus struggled to sound calm. “Of course I am angry at being trussed like a chicken, Traven. Don’t expect miracles, you won’t find them here. If I am released and that document destroyed you will have my support. Otherwise I have no reason to give it. I won’t harm Aren, I understand he is just protecting his wife, you think I don’t know that Traven?”

Hannibal started forward, once again stopped by Damien’s voice.

“What assurance do you have he speaks truth, Traven?” Damien’s voice was an icicle that seemed to prick Traven’s conscience, he faltered to a stop

“He’s a gentleman, a Noble…over fifty years he has never acted. His roommate vouched for his actions, swore on it…” Hannibal sounded like he was convincing himself.

“And what of the chosen?” Damien cut him off.

“We didn’t suit, I’m sure you saw that.” Janus responded quickly, knowing Damien had been eavesdropping from the musician‘s balcony.

“I like assurances from someone who has proven themselves untrustworthy. Whether you help Traven or not is not my concern, Fathis hired me. This document will remain on my person till you have returned to your castle…without Maxical. Fathis must be alive and in good health…and your Orc decoy must either be dead or leave with you. Those are my terms. Whatever Traven decides, he has no power over me or this document. And don‘t think to call your birds onto me, Hassildor. That’s right, Hassildor. I do know exactly who you are. Should anything happen to me…or this document…my agent is standing in Uriel Septim’s chambers as we speak…with a full disclosure of all your actions since you left your castle, including your visit to Crowhaven, the Merchants Inn, Jakben Imbel‘s lair, and your slightly sordid visit with a skooma addicted prostitute…but most importantly your actions against Fathis Aren. And Traven…Uriel Septim will wonder why you released him with diplomatic immunity under those circumstance. I suggest you weigh your decisions carefully here. Your position as Arch Mage can be revoked just as Count Skingrad can lose his position…and freedom.”

Thomas Kaira
Well, things have definitely hit the fan now. Traven has an ultimatum, and Hassildor's plans have completely unraveled...

Well, not completely. There's still one of weak mind he could easily command. I hope Traven considers all sides of the argument before bending to Hassildor's will. There are other avenues by which Malan's army can be defeated. I think Maxical proved a good point with that. Just fire some 'splosions at them!

Finally, Fathis has eloped with the kitty who eloped with Gils. This is going to be an awkward reunion... huh.gif
King Coin
Now we're getting some action.

And I won't hunt down Maxical if Fathis goes down, but I'll be very displeased....
Rachel the Breton
QUOTE(King Coin @ Feb 25 2011, 10:22 PM) *

And I won't hunt down Maxical if Fathis goes down, but I'll be very displeased....

Agreed! Fathis is coming across as one of the most nobleminded characters in the entire story...and that's frightening me, because I know what a plotweaver it is who writes this story!!
It's time, methinks, to roast some vampires -- and Janus may be immortal, but it would be interesting to see what a silver stake through his heart would do... wink.gif
ghastley
QUOTE(Rachel the Breton @ Feb 25 2011, 04:37 PM) *

It's time, methinks, to roast some vampires -- and Janus may be immortal, but it would be interesting to see what a silver stake through his heart would do... wink.gif

Mankor Camoran's Paradise gives us a better option - the perpetual roast dipped into lava in a cage. I've never been a vampire at that point in the MQ, but with the extra weakness to fire from the Bands of the Chosen, it could be seriously not fun. ohmy.gif

mALX has already mentioned the perpetual imprisonment option for punishing an immortal, the lava is just garnish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.