Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are you playing?
Chorrol.com > Chorrol.com Forums > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 11 2013, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 11 2013, 10:58 AM) *

check out Tropico Beach! It's my theme park, and it has a volcano! And absurdly cool rollercoasters!

ohmy.gif I WANNA COME PLAY!!! panic.gif

biggrin.gif

It is an absurdly fun game; that series has been one of my favourites since I was a kid and you've got no idea how happy I was to find a copy of it on GOG after my CDs went walkabout one by one.
mirocu
Games where you create stuff are always fun biggrin.gif
Callidus Thorn
And I'm back to Oblivion, journeying with my old friend Sal

I think that when I next feel the urge to play an older TES game, I'll just break out Morrowind rather than Daggerfall.
mirocu
Oh no, donīt you quit on me, Callidus! tongue.gif
Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 11 2013, 02:51 PM) *

Sal got impatient, wanted to go roaming. What could I do?

And those cities in Daggerfall really are a mess; huge, apparently random, with no logic whatsoever to their layout. I found three or four taverns in Daggerfall City within spitting distance of each other, and I couldn't find the weaponsmith, even using the map.

Vivec was better laid out than that.
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 11 2013, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 11 2013, 02:51 PM) *

Sal got impatient, wanted to go roaming. What could I do?

And those cities in Daggerfall really are a mess; huge, apparently random, with no logic whatsoever to their layout. I found three or four taverns in Daggerfall City within spitting distance of each other, and I couldn't find the weaponsmith, even using the map.

Oh, on the contrary Vivec was intelligently laid out according to logic with an easily navigable layout that oh god I can't type that with a straight face any more.

That does sound pretty dire, though. Yeah, randomisation can work; just look at Minecraft and FTL; but if you're trying to make a realistic game world through it then I really don't see how anybody thought that that was a good idea.
PhonAntiPhon
Witcher II
A.W.E.S.O.M.E.
Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(PhonAntiPhon @ Nov 11 2013, 03:48 PM) *

Witcher II
A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

I have to ask:

Roche or Iorveth?

And I mean which path through the game and which one do you like more as a character.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Roche, that magnificent bastard
ghastley
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 11 2013, 10:32 AM) *

That's because they ARE random. At least they were at the point that Bethesda generated them.

There are a number of layout blocks that are randomly assembled into cities, and the specification in the game files just lists the blocks that make up that particular city. The dungeons are made the same way. You only need one copy of each building block, and a lot of lists of how they go together. With texture palettes thrown in to make one regions cities/dungeons look different from another's, you can get a lot of variety without a huge investment (or memory requirement). There are really only a couple of the city tile-sets - desert and other - with texture changes making all the difference. Even the major capitals - Daggerfall, Sentinel etc. have just one unique block surrounded by random ones.

The taverns do cluster, because there are several blocks that have a set of two or three taverns together. The same with shops, where the same four or five shop clusters appear in multiple cities.
Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 11 2013, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 11 2013, 10:32 AM) *

That's because they ARE random. At least they were at the point that Bethesda generated them.

There are a number of layout blocks that are randomly assembled into cities, and the specification in the game files just lists the blocks that make up that particular city. The dungeons are made the same way. You only need one copy of each building block, and a lot of lists of how they go together. With texture palettes thrown in to make one regions cities/dungeons look different from another's, you can get a lot of variety without a huge investment (or memory requirement). There are really only a couple of the city tile-sets - desert and other - with texture changes making all the difference. Even the major capitals - Daggerfall, Sentinel etc. have just one unique block surrounded by random ones.

The taverns do cluster, because there are several blocks that have a set of two or three taverns together. The same with shops, where the same four or five shop clusters appear in multiple cities.

Yeesh, randomly generated cities?

Aaaand I'm done with Daggerfall.
Colonel Mustard
Waiting for Bioshock Infinite's first proper DLC (no, you don't count, Clash in the Clouds. Get back in your corner) to download. Not sure if glaring at my router is actually succeeding in making my internet connection go any faster, but it's making me feel a little bit better.
Elisabeth Hollow
Oblivion. I apparently have no saved games, so it's from scratch I go!

ImperialSnob
I wish we had a minecraft server so we could all play together.

I know some of you play it.
Elisabeth Hollow
I play it!!!!
ImperialSnob
We could use the Beth Forum's server I guess.
ImperialSnob
I'm gonna build an adventure map in Minecraft!
Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Nov 12 2013, 05:49 PM) *

Best place to start, imo. I don't know about you, but I've never been able to pick up and play an old character after not playing them for a while.

And I think I'm gonna have to take another run at Dragon's Dogma. I picked up Dark Arisen but I've yet to get around to it.

Yes! Two portals!
mirocu
QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Nov 12 2013, 06:49 PM) *

"No save files? Yeah, sure whatever" rolleyes.gif

If I rolled up Oblivion and found no save files, Iīd get a friggin heart attack! panic.gif
Kiln
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 11 2013, 03:52 PM) *

Witcher II
A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

I have to ask:

Roche or Iorveth?

And I mean which path through the game and which one do you like more as a character.

Both are excellent in their own way. You have to try both sides to really appreciate the story and to really get both sides of the things that are happening.

On another note I finally beat Dragon's Dogma. Most epic boss battle in video game history. It is also very surprising that in the post game, the devs were pretty harsh. No happily ever after ending to be found with this one.
Elisabeth Hollow
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 12 2013, 02:50 PM) *

If I rolled up Oblivion and found no save files, Iīd get a friggin heart attack! panic.gif

Considering I lost my 300 hour game years ago, I'm alright with starting over, lol
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 12 2013, 08:50 PM) *

Note to self: wipe Mirocu's hard drive, and all backups.
mirocu
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 13 2013, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 12 2013, 08:50 PM) *

Note to self: wipe Mirocu's hard drive, and all backups.

Too late! My two fresh backups are already in the very strong gun cabinet! biggrin.gif
Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(Kiln @ Nov 12 2013, 11:59 PM) *

Witcher II
A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

I have to ask:

Roche or Iorveth?

Both are excellent in their own way. You have to try both sides to really appreciate the story and to really get both sides of the things that are happening.

I totally agree about having to play both sides. Annoyingly I prefer Iorveth's path, but Roche as a character, one of the reasons I got rid of the game. No matter which path I chose when replaying, I was never really happy with it.

On another note I finally beat Dragon's Dogma. Most epic boss battle in video game history. It is also very surprising that in the post game, the devs were pretty harsh. No happily ever after ending to be found with this one.

I thought that last boss fight was tough, then tried to make my way to the capital on foot.

It was hell. I loved it.

I like that there's no happily ever after, makes it seem more believable. Really must make an effort on that game, try a run as a Magic Archer. Then maybe another run as a Mystic Knight.
Kiln
QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 13 2013, 11:31 PM) *

Witcher II
A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

I have to ask:

Roche or Iorveth?

I totally agree about having to play both sides. Annoyingly I prefer Iorveth's path, but Roche as a character, one of the reasons I got rid of the game. No matter which path I chose when replaying, I was never really happy with it.

I thought that last boss fight was tough, then tried to make my way to the capital on foot.

It was hell. I loved it.

I like that there's no happily ever after, makes it seem more believable. Really must make an effort on that game, try a run as a Magic Archer. Then maybe another run as a Mystic Knight.

Yeah I liked it but was also disappointed. There's this promise of a better future dangled in front if you and then jerked away at the last second. I will admit that it was a refreshing change from the sunshine filled endings that we're used to because in reality, sometimes you give it your best effort and then things don't work out as you'd hoped.
Colonel Mustard
Just finished Bioshock Infinite's Burial At Sea DLC. Very good, but too short for the price tag, and you can get a full review on my blog.
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 14 2013, 02:41 PM) *

Just finished Bioshock Infinite's Burial At Sea DLC. Very good, but too short for the price tag, and you can get a full review on my blog.

Isn't it only Episode 1 though?
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Nov 14 2013, 04:57 PM) *

Yes it is, but you're still paying Ģ12 for 3 hours of gameplay.
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 14 2013, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Nov 14 2013, 04:57 PM) *

Yes it is, but you're still paying Ģ12 for 3 hours of gameplay.

I thought it was for all the episodes(ala the Walking Dead game,pay 14.99 for all the episodes and get them as they release).Three hours is pretty short for 15 euros.
mirocu
I understand you like Infinite better than the first game, is that right, Mustard? Iīve probably asked you this before, but what did you think of the second game compared to the first?
Colonel Mustard
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 14 2013, 08:20 PM) *

I understand you like Infinite better than the first game, is that right, Mustard?

You understand correctly. Infinite's a quality game. It's like the first one only with a pair of awesomely snarky scientists and rollercoaster rails.

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 14 2013, 08:20 PM) *
Iīve probably asked you this before, but what did you think of the second game compared to the first?

I don't think you have, actually. In answer to yonder question, I think 2 was good, but not as good as the first. A lot of the time it retreaded the same ground as 1 without really getting the point, the repeated 'defend the Little Sister from Splicers as she gathers ADAM' parts grated and it retconned some of the lore by introducing a completely new important character into Rapture's history (though after Infinite I have a feeling that isn't a retcon, though that ventures into massively spoilerific territory), but it was still a good, atmospheric game, the Big Sister fights were incredibly intense and being able to go underwater was a good way to take advantage of Rapture's submarine setting, something which 1 never really did beyond the Bathyspheres. So yeah, overall, pretty good, not as good as Bioshock 1, probably worth trying.

Multiplayer was pretty fun too.
ImperialSnob
If I was to make a complaint about every Bioshock game,it's that the combat is a bit s**te.
mirocu
I thought it was pretty decent mellow.gif
ImperialSnob
For an FPS it's pretty poor.

On the topic of FPS,I've been playing and loving COD 4:Modern Warfare.The last good Infinity Ward made COD but not the last good COD.

Although Ghosts is really bad and you shouldn't get it.
Callidus Thorn
Been playing a fair bit of Dragon's Dogma today, and I downloaded a new game on my phone. Drisk, it's Risk, on Android. I'm not particularly impressed with it, but at least it was free.

And just to weigh in on the whole Bioshock debate:

1>>>2

Damn good game, on all fronts.
Bolzmania
I've been meaning to get around to play the first Bioshock. Seems like whenever I get the time, I just don't though. I did play Bioshock Infinite, however, which I thought was fun but way too short.

Currently revisiting Heroes of Might and Magic III - a turn based strategy game. It's nothing short of amazing!
mirocu
QUOTE(Bolzmania @ Nov 16 2013, 09:36 PM) *

I've been meaning to get around to play the first Bioshock. Seems like whenever I get the time, I just don't though. I did play Bioshock Infinite, however, which I thought was fun but way too short.

Well, I for one can recommend it. I have a review in a thread in the RPG section, first page. It doesnīt contain any real spoilers so itīs pretty safe to read if you want to smile.gif
treydog
Drawn back into Daggerfall. The DOSBox version is much smoother than my earlier DOS partition with Mo'Slo setup... and does not suffer from the "invisible quest item" glitch.

Beyond that- I have gotten further in the Main Quest than ever before- as this was the first "MQ is NOT mandatory" game I had ever played, I tended to get wrapped up in doing guild quests and random dungeon-delving...

Survival tip for anyone who is playing- gold adds to encumbrance in this game! So- if you find yourself unable to pick up that really nifty sword because "you can't carry anymore stuff," go to a bank and exchange your gold for a letter of credit... or to a jewelry store and buy gems.

Another thing I had forgotten was some of the atmospheric stuff they did- there is some macabre humor such as:

Off to do some more random delving....
mirocu
QUOTE(treydog @ Nov 23 2013, 04:32 AM) *

Drawn back into Daggerfall... Survival tip for anyone who is playing- gold adds to encumbrance in this game!

Now that is just stupid blink.gif

I have an update thread here if you feel like contributing. Itīs only me so far! laugh.gif
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 23 2013, 08:32 AM) *

Drawn back into Daggerfall... Survival tip for anyone who is playing- gold adds to encumbrance in this game!

I have an update thread here if you feel like contributing. Itīs only me so far! laugh.gif

I'd say it's realistic.

Gold's freakin' heavy.
Callidus Thorn
I've had the urge to play an FPS for the last few days, finally did something about it:

Picked up Bioshock for Ģ5, I've just reached the medical pavillion playing on hard.

And Borderlands GOTY, for Ģ8, which I'll be firing up later this evening.

Oblivion's on hold until Monday, but Daggerfall might see some action.
mirocu
QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Nov 23 2013, 06:48 PM) *

I'd say it's realistic.

Gold's freakin' heavy.

I donīt want it completely realistic, itīs a game! tongue.gif

ImperialSnob
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 23 2013, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Nov 23 2013, 06:48 PM) *

I'd say it's realistic.

Gold's freakin' heavy.

I donīt want it completely realistic, itīs a game! tongue.gif

I need my immersion!

IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE 1990'S DOS REALISTIC HARDCORE GAME MECHANICS THEN GET OUT OF THE PREVERBIAL KITCHEN!

mirocu
Lol tongue.gif

I get immersion without having gold wear me down. Now cīmon, would you like a game where you had to go to bed early every single night only so you could get up early and go to a boring a** job and on your way home after eight hours you have to go to the supermarket to pick up food and diapers only to get home and be nagged upon; -I donīt want that food! Those are the wrong diapers! Why are you so late!?

I sure donīt want that game! rollinglaugh.gif
ImperialSnob
QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 24 2013, 08:11 AM) *

Lol tongue.gif

I get immersion without having gold wear me down. Now cīmon, would you like a game where you had to go to bed early every single night only so you could get up early and go to a boring a** job and on your way home after eight hours you have to go to the supermarket to pick up food and diapers only to get home and be nagged upon; -I donīt want that food! Those are the wrong diapers! Why are you so late!?

I sure donīt want that game! rollinglaugh.gif

I really really want a game that's just life because you could do anything,anything you want.

Why?Because it'd be a video game and not actually life.
Callidus Thorn
[censored] realism, I'll take steampunk, magic, and sci-fi any day of the week.

Realism's just the garnish, not the meal itself.
Colonel Mustard
Just starting up a Mass Effect 2 playthrough. It's hot off the heels of my ME1 game, which was very slow and meandering as Commander Sarah Shepard, space hero extraordinaire, pootled about the galaxy doing every damn sidequest she could get her mitts on. Decisions made going into ME2 are:

Callidus Thorn
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 24 2013, 12:16 PM) *

Just starting up a Mass Effect 2 playthrough. It's hot off the heels of my ME1 game, which was very slow and meandering as Commander Sarah Shepard, space hero extraordinaire, pootled about the galaxy doing every damn sidequest she could get her mitts on. Decisions made going into ME2 are:

Personally I massively preferred Mass Effect 1, for a host of reasons. I only managed a single replay of ME2, just because everything seemed like something to get out of the way before the Final Mission. Though to be fair, that was one hell of a mission.

I've never been anywhere near ME3, again, for a host of reasons.

Good luck Colonel Shepard! goodjob.gif
Colonel Mustard
And I've just got all 3 Skyrim DLCs for Ģ15 in the Steam sale, hurrah!

Now I just need to badger Student Finance England into getting that laptop for me and I'll have something that I can play Skyrim on up here in Uni.

God, I miss Skyrim... sad.gif
McBadgere
Oh, you know...That Assassin's Creed 4 pirate thing...I've almost resisted calling it Ass-Pirates, I really have...Almost...
mirocu
Oh, McB. You and your Ass-games biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.